2020-08-29 01:25:30

Hello everyone
I remember seeing someone eonce with a link to a spellchecker to his status message, and i tought of downloading that, yet I never did.
So what little useful spellcheckers do you all recomend? i want something little and helpful with which i can fix my spelling mistakes with and also see where i did the mistakes to correct me and to learn from them.
Thanks in advance

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself."

2020-08-29 14:52:00

I use TinySpell. It has the ability to use custom dictionaries, play a sound on detected errors, assign hotkeys for many of its actions, and disable it entirely while have it still run if there's a hotkey that intercepts it. It has a premium version, but it does add some other handy features, and from what I remember, it's only like 10 bucks.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-29 17:02:28

Tiny spell's menu's are a little confusing at least for me, but it works well for a lot of people. I wonder if there is something that will help me capitalize my I's out there. Can tiny spell do the auto replacement thing? It so that would add to a list of It's features.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-08-29 17:23:08

How do  you evin use tiny spell?
I can't get it to work.

Don't care.

2020-08-29 18:42:48

I have used tinySpell, but I have had times when it didn't work for some reason. These days, I have been doing a lot of work in Word, so I usually spellcheck there. .

2020-08-29 19:11:26

To answer all of your questions:
@jescat277, I'd be happy to show you round a bit. That is indeed a feature, so you can auto-correct certain phrases.
@lav andric, Little vague, don't you think? Where are you having trouble?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-29 19:28:35

@6
Well, I can't get anything to work. I run the thing but when I type or evin do anything to it it says nothing. It doesn't suggest or check spelling or does anything really.

Don't care.

2020-08-29 19:58:33

@lav andric, Have you read any of the documentation?
First, check to see the icon's running in your system tray.
Next, access the context menu and enable beeping. You can change the sound it uses in the settings dialogue.
Now type some stuff, anywhere. If TS beeps, it's working. You'll now want to customize the hotkeys in the settings, adjust when TS should be used, possibly edit your dictionary.

2020-08-29 21:29:51

I'll be honest... I never could get it to work properly.  One of the things that makes me mad about it is that when you ask it to correct the word it places the correct word behind the misspelled one.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-08-29 21:40:48

thanks everyone for the suggestions and also for the little bit of coverage about thiny spell. think I'm gonna try it!

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself."

2020-08-29 21:56:20

I have had issues when using tinySpell with NVDA. It seems to work better with JAWS. When using NVDA, it doesn't always replace the word.

2020-08-29 22:04:12

I broke my dictionary and have no idea how to fix it, so some help would be great.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-08-29 22:27:09

Regarding replacing words, try changing auto-replacement. You can always just copy a suggestion and paste it. I have luck with the following:
1. Select the error, then paste over it.
2. As soon as the beep plays, auto-replace.
@jescat277, Could you say more on the issue?

2020-08-30 00:00:54

What I do is kinda weird. Write whatever I'm writing, then select all, copy, and delete. Next, go into TWBlue, paste, then use the spell checker there. Once done, select all and copy, then go back to where ever I was before and paste. Done and done. I like that way best, mainly because I've always liked MS word's spell checker, and this isn't far from that.

2020-08-30 06:01:50

I use a word processor called Jarte.

There's a premium version, but the free version does what I need it to do, even a spell checker.

You would think windows would have its own built in spell checker, but I guess they wouldn't be making money from office products if they did that.

Some app's have built in spell checkers, like skype and Discord, I think some browsers also do it, but you have to tell the screen reader to let you know of misspelled words, and that doesn't always work, especially if you use words that sound similar.

Like the words sense and since, so many blind people mix those up.

A spell checker isn't going to help you in those situations.

2020-08-30 16:02:06

i like tiny spell, but, i just stopped useing it mainly because that sound it played was really annoying, and i no there wasn't in other way to let me no, it just got on my nurvs.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-08-30 18:38:03

@titan_of_war, It goes from your default Windows ding.wav sound, so you're implying you don't like that sound. Either completely change that sound in C:\Windows\Media, or just replace it with a completely custom one from within the settings dialogue.
@kool_turk, Now that's where the Microsoft Office editor would become mighty useful, but like we're going to be able to use that *shrugs*.
I only wish Grammarly's extensions and plug-ins were accessible, but ehh, I mean TS does a great job anyway for what it is.