2020-08-10 11:14:33

Regards to all
Today I installed Avast Anti Virus
I'm pleasantly surprised at how affordable the new avast is with screen readers
Avast has finally started doing something in the field of accessibility.
Download link
https://www.avast.com/download-thank-yo … p;direct=1

2020-08-10 11:46:08

can you uninstall without sighted help?
cause it's pain to uninstall

2020-08-10 12:43:45

I noticed this with AVG as well, which is now part of Avast I think. In fact I'm not really sure what the difference is between AVG and avast, if one got bought out by the other then why do both still exist?
For AVG specifically, a lot is accessible but you can't change components. You can disable them, I think, but can't outright remove.

2020-08-10 13:43:08

That is new. They fix accessibility, brake it, then fix again, and brake again. That was the patern until 2016, when I stopped using them

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-08-10 14:44:33

It can be installed and uninstalled without assistance

revan wrote:

can you uninstall without sighted help?
cause it's pain to uninstall

2020-08-10 15:06:43

So cool, i wish the same with MCafee, and will ask them to do something to improve accessibility.

Hey, if you wanna chat, add me on discord.: VIPPotato#3363
or you can chat with me on telegram: https://t.me/VIPPotato
Regards, and take care.

2020-08-10 15:08:42

@revan, Yes, Avast can be installed and uninstalled without sighted assistance, though OCR is required.
@aaron, Maybe one will be removed in the near future? Of course not really sure about the plans for this, but I thought Avast and AVG were extremely similar in terms of the UI. Heck, I even thought Avast and AVG were the same thing a couple years back cause I thought they had similar names.
@enes, That may be true, but I just don't use Avast. Don't many people say that this might as well just be a virus? I don't think it's very highly rated...

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-10 16:26:40 (edited by dzoni 2020-08-10 19:28:39)

@DJEPIC
Yes, Avast can be installed and uninstalled without sighted assistance, though OCR is required.
For most things, avast no longer requires ocr

2020-08-13 05:07:08

One thing that I refrain from using Avast is I've heard they had a shady practices in the past like selling user data and stuff through their desktop app.

2020-08-15 06:20:03

Urhrhrhrhrhrhrhrhrgh! I hate Avast with a passion!
Especially when it comes bundled with other free software you install and then it starts auto deleting stuff of it's own accord.
Since back when half of my computers storage was allocated to audio/BGT games, that program had a field day wiping my harddrive's ass

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2020-08-17 12:18:50

Be ware that as a previous poast said, Avast has been known to do shadey stuff, including I belive logging users mouse movements and clicks at some point.
I don't know why you'd want to use avast honestly, it gives you false positives all the time, and forces you to send them to a lab for testing.
Even windows defender is better.

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2020-08-17 15:08:50

@supremekiller, At least Windows Security is non-intrusive, and you don't even need to worry about installing it or updating it.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-17 20:28:54

do yourself a favor and do not download it. Its too good to be true.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2020-08-17 20:46:51

That company, Jumpshot who collected the data, has apparently been shut down after that investigation... apparently, so here's hoping. At the same time, who knows what else could be happening.

2020-08-18 07:44:57

Why would you want this? avast is shaidy and the uninstall process is so painful.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-08-18 08:37:54

Oh yea!
The first time I got Avast was when I tried to get some game, and it installed without me knowing about it. Yes I could have been more careful, but an antivirus which tries to sneek in with other programs is just not worth my time. And uninstalling it is so much pain, I would rather reset the system rather than trying to uninstall it. I guess now they might have improved it, but still, previous memories are fresh in mind.

2020-08-18 12:38:26

Why does everyone say the uninstall process is such a pain? It's just a bit of light OCR usage. I can't tell if I'm the one in the minority or if OCR is just natural to me. Sure, it would be nice of the uninstaller was just accessible using normal methods, but it's hardly a pain in the ass. Some OCR and one restart later, and you've just uninstalled Avast. What's the big deal?

2020-08-18 14:37:47 (edited by Socheat 2020-08-18 14:38:15)

Just get Malwarebytes free or something. At least it's better than Avast or AVG IMO

2020-08-18 18:31:39

It was a pain at the time because I remember doing it before NVDA had support for Windows 10 OCR. It was so annoying. Perhaps now with OCR it is indeed a lot better, but I don't care honestly. At the end I decided that my PC is my PC, I booted the talking Windows preinstallation environment and deleted the entire Avast folder in program files so it could never start back up. So if you know how to boot from an USB drive and have Avast, I suggest doing that to get rid of it in case the OCR method does not work on your machine for whatever reason.

2020-08-24 01:03:15

Do yourself a big big favor and never download AVG or Avass they are the worse on the market; I am a access technology trainer and every client that I have ever had that uses either one of these antivirus programs have caught malware, back door Trojans and their systems were definitely impaired. Be very careful when using either of these programs, I seriously suggest using Windows defender as it is better than both of these programs put together, and if you have both of these terrible programs working simultaneously then you do not have any protection at all as they cancel each other out.... Serious Warning