2020-08-21 07:57:15 (edited by Talpaiute 2020-08-21 08:12:27)

I have Windows10 1909 installed on a Macbook. The problem is that I always I'm missing space. The partition has 64 gb, I have no applications that occupy more than 500 mb, and the downloads reach 1 gb. The rest of the files (dekstop, documents, etc.) together occupy 4 gb. I deleted previous versions of windows. At times I have 2 gb of free space, while at others I have 5, without doing anything special. The problem started when I installed Google Sink and synced the files. I uninstalled it, but nothing. I mention that I also have Visual Studio2017 on my laptop, but I checked and it only has components for c # just installed. However, when I get to the search bar, I am sometimes surprised to find updates for Office 2010, although I have never used it, and c ++ packages. The trash can is emty and I cleaned up my temporary files a few weeks ago. What else can I do? I'm a little desperate. And I have another question at the end: how do I stop Word from displaying my read documents? It's very annoying because of the security. Even if they are not important things, the idea that the entry in the application is not deleted once it is closed or the document is deleted is not the most pleasant.

Start of signature: I'm using a translation app.

If you like this post, please press the appropriate button.

2020-08-21 09:36:47

Windows 10, unfortunately tends to occupy as much space as it can get.

I simplly do not see why it needs to take up so much, but it is how it is sadly. I've had to learn to live with this fact after months and months of trying to decrease its size, custom isos, changing locations of several things forcefully through registry, etc.
I myself own  a 32gb ssd which strangely came with this pc, although the specs only mentioned  a 1-tb hdd. In any case, the ssd works quite well when it comes to speed and performance, so i didn't complain and installed the os on the ssd itself, whilst keeping the hdd for data storage. Windows however clearly does not share these sentiments.
Constantly, it bugs me about low storage, even after getting rid of pagefile, turning off other unnecessary features that were recomended to me on google, uninstalling bloatware, messing around int he registry, getting myself custom isos. The most i've managed is to make it looze some of its size, for a short while then it just comes back to what it was and i need a reboot to lower it a bit. Even after changing the location of literally everything possible from the ssd to the hdd-temp, appdata, software install locations, windows apps, it still insists on taking space. I have a sneaking suspition that if my space wasn't limited it would take up even more, sighs.

Abay chal.

2020-08-21 09:42:18

Perhaps CCleaner might be of help? It's what I use for deleting logs and the like; they take a worrying amount of space! System restores can add up to quite a bit after some time too, so it might be wise to delete the older ones (while keeping the newest for safety, of course).

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-08-21 09:56:55

@3 may be, although i have already tried getting rid of the restores, done frequent disk cleanups, made sure to compress the drives to save space etc, but haven't tried c cleaner in a while so may be i should give that a shot as well.

Abay chal.

2020-08-21 10:56:51

When you do a disc cleanup, go to clean up system files too if you haven't done so. It'll get rid of a lot of extra crap that windows Update leaves around. Also turn on Storage sense. I thought restore points got deleted automatically after the limit is reached, and you can also change that limit.

2020-08-21 10:58:06

@Aarush, just so you know, maybe is spelt, m, a, y, b, e. there's no space between may and be.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-08-21 11:47:21

@Brad, the words may and be can stand on their own, too. However, the meaning is not entirely the same. I think the second "may be" in @Aarush's post does have to be a "maybe", but the first one might be correct, if taken in the sense of "That may be so".
See this article for more info:
https://www.grammar.com/maybe_vs._may_be

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-08-21 11:47:42

@5 i do that indeed, whenever i do a disk cleanup.
@6 thanks for that. My spelling really sucks tbh, another thing i'm working on.

Abay chal.

2020-08-21 13:00:18

You may want to perform a clean install of Windows, especially if you haven't done it in a year or two. This is guaranteed to free up a lot of space that's most likely taken up by temporary files and other crap you can't obviously find to delete. It will also make your system perform better and allow you to start over.

I wouldn't recommend installing Windows 10 on anything less than 64 GB. A 32 GB drive is way too small, because a fresh install of Windows takes up about 20 GB. You ideally want at least 25% free space on the install drive so that Windows can write all the data it needs to write.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-08-21 13:34:54

Mine only takes up 37 GB though the C drive is 100 GB. Although all of my important files, documents, downloads, music, whatever I feel I don't want to be deleted is stored on other drives, the programms are installed in the C drive. Even icons on desktop are just .lnk files to my folders on these other drives.
Regular reset of Windows 10 annually can help a lot. Yes, Windows can and will work without resetting, but, I find it very refreshing and convenient to reset windows or reinstall it from an ISO. It not only fixes whatever small errors that might have developed over the time, but also gets rid of stupid temporary system files that might be clogging the resources.

2020-08-21 14:46:45

I have done both of these things, and in order to carry out my little experiments to check whether the space was decreased, i did quite a few clean reinstalls, in these past few months but still didn't see much improvement to be honest.

Abay chal.

2020-08-21 15:19:54

How can I do these disk cleanings?

Start of signature: I'm using a translation app.

If you like this post, please press the appropriate button.

2020-08-21 16:19:19

@Talpaiute, You can go to the Disk Clean-up program. First, select the drive you'd like to clean, then select what you'd actually like cleaning with the checkboxes. Click okay to have the process caried out. You can also click "Clean System Files" to show other files.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-21 16:26:02

Hello,
Turn off fast starting from power settings.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2020-08-21 16:32:39

@burak, How does that take up storage, and how much? Also if I disable it, how will it impact my startup speeds?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-21 16:55:42

oh, yes burak is right, though that file is getting cleared when you restart your computer

2020-08-21 17:02:30

Also disable hybernation from showing up in the power menu. Doing so will delete the hyberfile.sys, which I've seen grow up to 40 gigs.

Disabling fast startup is something I recommend everyone do, regardless of if they're facing issues or not.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-08-21 17:40:52

@ironcross that's the first thing google gave me too when i was looking up ways to conserve spaces so i most certainly did that, yes.

Abay chal.

2020-08-21 19:01:22 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-08-21 21:19:08)

@ironcross32, Again, how much space is that and how will it affect my startup?
Edit: Also, a friend said that apparently updating to Windows 2004 freed up a sizable amount of storage. Is this true or BS?