2020-08-13 10:29:58

Hi all, yesterday i installed a vm for mac os. so i installed gararge band on it also, but i am not to sure about some thing:
Will i be able to produce music with a vm using gararge band?
I know there is a little bit of lag with the thing, but that shouldn't be to bad to handle... I just want to understand it from an accessibility point of view. will it be possible?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-08-13 15:04:27

No. Also, it's kind of not legal to own the thing when a vm is an unlicensed copy of Mac OSX, the purchase of a physical machine technically pays for Garageband. Nevertheless, as someone who owns both a physical mac and has ran *it* virtually, I can tell you right now it is not worth it. That lag will make a huge difference and will make the production process that much harder. Just use Reaper and get yourself a Native Instruments controller and some software instruments, and you'll have a nice accessible interface.

2020-08-13 16:24:56

Ok, thanx

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-08-14 00:17:48

yeah, or, ya know get a mac and buy logic...

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-08-14 16:38:46 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-08-14 16:39:36)

@techmaster20, Oh yeah, cose everyone has thousands of dollars lying around for just a different computer that performs well, just for one task (obviously). And Logic I think is another 200/300 bucks.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-14 17:15:21

@djepic: Whichever route you go, music production is expensive. Even if you aren't buying a Mac, you will undoubtedly be spending upwards of $2000 on a special-order laptop if you're producing on the go, my xps15 7590 was a good $1700. And then there are the plugins and software instruments you'll be purhcasing.

2020-08-14 17:42:24

@jack, Why did you need to spend that much on a laptop? Also, I guess if you're going to produce music for a living, you'd make back the money you spent on initial setup expenses?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-14 18:16:18

@7
Low-powered computers can run a DAW, but only very powerful ones can run it at low latency.  For realtime playing, even 30ms hurts.  It makes the keys feel mushy for lack of a better way to put it.

Also, for stuff like Native Instruments, if you don't have an SSD the load times can sometimes be painful, and if you don't have enough ram to keep that big sample set loaded into memory, the OS is going to page it to disk on you.

You could do old soundfonts from 10 years ago or something at low latency, but run something like Native instruments and feed it through a reverb and try to play it from your keyboard, that's a different story.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-08-14 18:17:43 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-08-14 18:18:07)

@camlorn, Oh... right then. I mean, considering that's basically all I do anyway; play with soundfonts.

2020-08-14 18:25:11 (edited by jack 2020-08-14 18:25:59)

@Djepic:
model: xps15 7590
CPU: 6core i7 running at up to 4.1ghz, can hyperthread making that 12virtual cores
16gb (8x2) ddr4 ram
NVidia gtx1650 with 4gb of dedicated graphics ram, good for gaming, modern graphic-intensive web apps almost never crash
Bluetooth5, Wifi6, built-in fingerprint reader, decent stereo speakers
Windows 10 Pro
Price: $1750 as a business customer, plus free expedited shipping.
My samples drive is a Crucial MX500 1tb SSD inside of a usb enclosure. This laptop is not exactly an off-the-shelf item, but if you register as a business customer you get laptop offerings like these. This is the kind of setup you want if you want to get serious about production.

2020-08-14 18:45:34

@jack
What's the battery life on that, and what do I have to do to register as a business customer?  That's a really good deal unless prices have dropped off more than I think they have.

That's almost as powerful as my tower.

Any downsides?  I've had a lot of bad experiences with Dell in the past, w.r.t. buggy drivers and stuff, but that was a very long time ago.

Open slack, chrome, and a couple other things I need for work on the current emergency/travel laptop and it kind of becomes the little computer that couldn't.

My Blog

2020-08-14 18:49:58 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-08-14 18:58:37)

@jack, Ho-ly, shit! I could only dream of having a computer with specs like that!

2020-08-14 18:59:32

Dell doesn't have any paperwork requirements to register as a business customer. You probably could just put in any company name you want and you'd be fine, or a website or synthizer or what have you.
The battery life on that thing is a good 9 to 10 hours, more like 6.5 if you're using Reaper in best performance mode while on batteries, but that makes sense. It charges quickly and can charge through usbC as well if you have a portable charger. Fingerprint reader is great, built directly into the power button. And the core i7 is pretty genuine considering the boost and hyperthreading, owing to the laptop fortunately not being ultrathin like these new consumer ones. The whole surface has a mat finish around the keyboard, and they have entire non-skid surfaces spanning across the top and bottom of the machine rather than the feet. Much better shock absorption, so it can take a fall pretty well if it has to.
I'm able to run Chrome (Brave in my case) and Slack pretty much 24/7. The external gpu really makes a difference though. This is a pretty damn good gaming rig as welll owing to the dedicated graphics.

2020-08-14 19:11:44

I actually installed Mac OS Mojave on a VM yesterday, I recently switched over to windows and sold my MBP. I still have my time machine backups so its nice to be able to access them now, just in case.
I already had an ISO I created from the installer on the MAC so the software is all legal.The lag isn't horrible but you do need beefy hardware for VMs in general. My laptop has 32 gb of RAM, my desktop has 16 and I just built the damn thing, and my laptop has an intel CPU which makes the VM creation easier. It is possible on AMD CPUs but you have to mod the colonel to get it started.
I'm probably going to install garage band and record samples of my favorite software instruments to use in Reaper, or where ever I wish.

2020-08-14 19:54:58 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2020-08-14 20:01:17)

I've had surprisingly little trouble with using my $400 computer for music work, it's a little more than that though as I got it wile it was on sale. It's entirely possible that I'll eat those words some time down the rode, but the thing works well enough to get things done with no Stuttering. Not that I plan to stay with it, as it only has 8 gb of ram.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2020-08-14 20:21:23

Try a realistic guitar library, I"m talking Orange Tree, not Eastwest, and you'll be hurryin go the store for a ram upgrade sooner or later, or a cpu upgrade if needed.

2020-08-14 21:47:10

@15 I'm sure you're cutting corners that you may not even know about.
On my desktop , custom built I paid just under a thousand for with a Ryzen 2700 and 16 GB RAM, with my 18i8 I can set my buffer sizes really low and get damn near zero latency when monitoring using Reaper. I bet your computer can't do that. wink
It is a nice feature to have since you can basically process vocals live. High per core clockspeeds makes this better though and I'm sure when I have the guap I'll get an overclocked intel based computer.
I've seen people overclock the 8700k to 5.0 ghz. That's nuts!

2020-08-14 22:12:26

@17
Unless you have money to blow on new computers you shouldn't ever overclock.  That's a good way to lower the lifespan a lot.  Either you push it so little that you might as well have not bothered, you're somewhere like Alaska in the dead of winter, or you run the risk of having a nicely slagged CPU.

Yes, I know about temperature sensors.  Yes, in theory they save you.  But do you want to bet $1000+ on it...

My Blog

2020-08-14 22:18:57 (edited by jack 2020-08-14 22:23:41)

Plus, you really are never supposed to aim for true 0latency software monitoring on vocal recording. You are supposed to leave that up to your mixer, or, you know, actual monitors? Do you have monitors plugged into the 18i8? If not,
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail … tors?mod=d
Aim for 0latency on your software instruments and any elements that are actually meant to be no-latency. Also, a Rizen? For music production? I knew new Rizens were good for gaming, but not so much for music. Careful buying anything from Spitfire audio with that machine, it might crap out at that point.
@AnIdiot: You are most definitely cutting corners, and if you are going to get serious about production, should really save up to either upgrade that machine, or get a new one with 16gb ofr am and a better cpu.

2020-08-14 22:40:21

@19
Internally speaking, your DAW does exactly the same sorts of things games need from a processor.  I don't know enough to say if a Rizen is bad for music for some reason, but if all I know about is that it's good for games, it's probably good.

In general "good for games" from the manufacturers just means "is more powerful than the normal but you pay for it".

My Blog

2020-08-14 22:49:36

Yeah I mean there probably is some differences between games and DAWs, games seem to be more GPU heavy than CPU these days people still rock 4790ks and they're doing alright.
I don't really care about the "for gaming" phrasing either. Save for a server, a beastly cpu with a decent high clockspeed, at least not enough to hinder performance like it may in servers, paired with a 3080TI, you're gonna be maxing out pretty much everything, on top of having a crunch monster that basically chews through everything else, especially if you o/c.

2020-08-14 22:52:42

Games are GPU heavy, but they're not CPU light. We didn't take things that games used to do on the CPU and move it to the GPU, broadly speaking, and the sorts of games that sighted people play will typically max both.

My Blog

2020-08-14 22:57:24

@19 There's basically no way for me to monitor with effects with direct monitoring via the interface. I don't have a super pro analogue studio with outboard gear to play around with to process incoming signals for whatever I have plugged in. Its nice to be able to plug the stereo outs of my MPC into the interface and gnarl up the sound live before anything gets tracked in. I don't get exactly zero latency but what I do get isn't significant enough to be a problem.
If I'm going to go crazy with pitch shifters for some reason I'll set the buffer size higher.
Besides this thing can be overclocked, the per core clock speed impacts how fast your CPU processes the incoming audio. I don't know if I want to do it on my budget board (MSI B450M, but it can be done so I'm not really worried.
I do notice that even on my laptop with the internal sound card, and a much higher buffer size as a result, the samplomatic 5000 plugin is a bit CPU heavy and too many of them can cause crackling. Or if you play a higher note, move the pitch wheel back and forth. It crackles. Probably because I'm using it as kind of like a ghetto drum machine so there's 8 or 9 instances of it sometimes per project. I just set the resampling engine to lowest and it works just fine. This is Hip-Hop anyway, dusty isn't the end of the world.

2020-08-14 22:59:08 (edited by NevEd 2020-08-14 23:11:21)

@22 Yeah I didn't mean that necessarily, I do know that with the AI's in these next gen games they're going to be more reliant on the CPU thus a 4790k is probably near the end of its viable use as a CPU for gaming, I really doubt a 3080TI won't be bottlenecked by that particular chip.
In regards to overclocking, I wouldn't say I'll go completely balls to the wall, but a decent amount, enough to better performance. People have told me that they had their CPUs in turbo mode for years, that's ok to me. If my computer that's overclocked  and gets heavy usage for 3/4 years, I'll be content with that.
What's probably worse is overclocking with a stock cooler. Constant throttling can't be good for the lifespan of anything.

2020-08-14 23:57:41

The CPU will handle turbo on its own.  If you want turbo, look into whether or not you can disable hyperthreading.  I *think* that on some of them hyperthreading hurts turbo.

My Blog