2020-08-07 00:11:18

Someone made a post on here about using OCR and I wrote to them explaining about NVDA and how to use it, then I went on reddit to look at some pictures with text on a sub called r/fatlogic and wow!

I've looked at 2 screen shots/pics and was able to read them perfectly.

OCR really is a game changer for blind peple.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-08-07 00:19:33

Yeah, and LION is super cool too!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-07 00:56:14

@DJEPIC, I've not really messed with that addon much, it worked nicely on some videos on youtube though.

I just tried the OCR on JAWS and when it comes to webpages, NVDAs OCR reads a lot better.

I pressed JAWS key plus space, o then s for start OCR, d didn't work, and it didn't read any of the text in the image but NVDAs' OCR got it straight away.

JAWS has tuns of options but I really don't think I'd ever go back, unless the company made a licence that could be used for anyone for $90 per year or what ever it is.

2020-08-07 01:13:36 (edited by brad 2020-08-07 01:18:16)

Wow, so I have to uninstal JAWS, restart my computer, then uninstal the wrest of the crap that comes with the software?

These people won't update their software to fit with the moddern times, that might have been ok 10 or so years ago but certainly isn't ok now.

edit: to add onto this, JAWS is so loud! You can't turn it down like you can with NVDA.

2020-08-07 10:17:25

jaws was good for its time do to no other alternatives
it has now and its free
and fs is not planning to change anytime sune

2020-08-07 13:15:51

Oh yeah,
I've even installed and used inaccessible softwares using NVDA's OCR, which technically is Windows OCR. I wonder if someone can create a OCR program for documents using Windows OCR, because I think it's free to use.
Also, Do you know that the results from OCR results can be interacted with. For example, if you do OCR on a setup screen which is inaccessible, and get results such as next, back, cancel etc; you can press enter on those options from the results page itself. You will obviously have to press escape and do OCR again to recognise next window. But this opens up an opportunity to use those softwares, I am looking at you Spitfire Audio labs, totally inaccessible programms to be used by blind peeps.

2020-08-07 14:24:59

@omer, yeah; JAWS was good for its time.

@MyDearWatson, it's amazing OCR isn't it? smile

2020-08-07 14:52:21

Strange. I tried with this application and when I press enter I have no choice:
*URL removed by administration for violation of rule 3*

He reads my options but I can't do anything after that.

Start of signature: I'm using a translation app.

If you like this post, please press the appropriate button.

2020-08-07 16:06:36 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-08-07 19:24:13)

@MyDearWatson, yes, you can do this because pressing enter performs a virtual click, so you don't have to rout the mouse cursor to the item manually.
@Nefilimul, Umm... You've just admitted to using... shady at best software? I'm going to be reporting this. But to answer your question, it's likely NVDA just doesn't have an accurate mouse location, so is clicking in the wrong place. In these cases, maybe try routing the cursor manually, or using other navigation methods if you haven't already, like object nav or screen review.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-08-07 19:30:34 (edited by MyDearWatson 2020-08-07 19:34:09)

Oh!
We all use shaidy programs, talk about pontes media downloader then.
The NVDA's OCR capabilities remind me about the features that Apple added in IOS 14. There's a feature wherein VoiceOver will recognise the app window and provide you an accessible experience as much as possible.
Google, bring it on.

2020-08-07 19:46:07

Moderation:
Nefilimul, consider this an official warning. Please do not provide links to programs which allow for the illicit download of copyrighted assets.
Mentioning that you've done this, or still do, is one thing. A lot of folks do it, and it's not on us to stop it.
Even mentioning the program you use, while a little iffy, isn't going to get you in trouble.
But if you're wondering why you've just gotten yourself a warning instead of a caution, it's simple. The link is what makes all the difference. Instead of just telling us what you're using, you linked folks to it. That tells us that you are in some ways encouraging folks to use that program. Guess what? That falls squarely under rule 3. Don't do it.
I am going to edit your post to remove the link, and call it good.

On a non-moderation note, can we please, please, for the love of crumbcake not turn this into NVDA vs. Jaws for the eleventy-second time?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-08-07 22:14:28

@Jayde, I don't care if it turns into a JAWS VS NVDA thread and as it's my thread it shouldn't matter to you or others if it does, I understand you're a modirator and that you probably have to skim through threads but if we want to talk about JAWS vs NVDA, we can.

I've been a JAWS user for around 11 years or so, and can tell you; NVDA does everything I need it to do and now NVDA is on the microsoft store with limitations, those who want to use it in a job setting can probably do so.

Jaws was great for its time but it's dying out and soon I think it will only be big companies buying their stuff as every day users will either have a demo, if they need it, or just switch to NVDA perminently.

Oh and if JAWS has a feature people like, like the OCR scanning for PDFs, that will probably soon come to NVDA either in the form of an addon or a feature within the software.

The only thing I can say that jaws has going for it is the Customizability.

I tried JAWS yesterday and let me tell you; I didn't know how much I took for granted the ability to turn NVDA down on the fly, with JAWS you can't do that as far as I know; you probably have to go into a setting somewhere to turn it down. As I've said before; JAWS is loud and the ability to just press a couple keystrokes to turn NVDA down is a true blessing.

2020-08-07 22:22:07

I am using JAWS right now, and I use it everyday. NVDA and JAWS both have different strengths and weaknesses; for me JAWS has better braille support, but NVDA works better with programs like Thunderbird. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what screen reader you use. As long as you can get access to the software you need to, the screen reader really doesn't make a difference.

2020-08-07 22:39:34

@swigjr23, I'd agree with what you said if both screen readers were free, but JAWS costs at least $1000 for a home licence, oh but wait, if you're in the US, and the US only, you can get a much cheeper licence for around $90 a year, or was it a month, iether way it's cheeper up front.

I'm sure JAWS does some things that NVDA can't at the moment and yeah, the braille support is probably better, I don't use a braille display so can't really comment, but JAWS has been around for much longer so probably has better drivers for them.

2020-08-07 22:56:58

Note what I said about being on a "non-moderator" angle.
I am personally tired of the back and forth. That's all I was saying. I think it's okay if I say that from time to time when it comes up.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-08-07 23:23:19

@jade, I wasn't coming at this from a modirator angle either, but I get where you're coming from.

2020-08-08 01:02:41 (edited by Chris 2020-08-08 01:03:18)

You can OCR pdf documents in Adobe Reader. Open the document and ensure your settings show the entire document instead of the visible pages. Once this is done, press NVDA and R to OCR the screen and you should be able to read everything. It may help to maximize the window and Press NVDA+Shift+up arrow in laptop layout or NVDA Numpad 2 to focus the navigator object on the Adobe Reader window before performing OCR.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-08-08 15:49:05

@Chris, thanks.

2020-08-08 17:59:33

@Chris, Good point. I'd use Adobe Reader DC, if it wasn't shareware, so Microsoft Edge's PDF scanner does the trick for me. Also, you should just be able to arrow around the document, regardless if you're OCRing with NVDA or not.

2020-08-08 20:12:35 (edited by MyDearWatson 2020-08-08 20:13:05)

Oh,
I know that we can read PDF documents like that, but imagin trying to read an entire book like that. It's fine for 1 or 2 pages, after that, I would really prefer if it did the OCR and just presented the OCR results for all the pages to me.
Any ways, if you have a Microsoft office, you should be able to open even an image based PDF document in to Microsoft Word and get the accessible results. So that solves it for me.

2020-08-08 20:49:48

Quick question.. How can I change my nvda ocr's language?

2020-08-08 21:24:54

It is in NVDA's settings, under the category Windows 10 OCR. However, you first must install the OCR data for the chosen language. To do that, it is necessary to go to Windows settings, then time and language. There, choose language. Now, add the language you want if it is not already. Under the optional features to download, you should have optical character recognition. Once that is downloaded, restart NVDA, and the language should be available.

2020-08-09 15:54:20

@MyDearWatson, Yep, I also use Word for that, and it preserves text formatting well too, better than my results with a version of Reader DC, so no complaints here.