2020-07-31 00:56:48

Hi
I'm looking to buy a smartwatch, and don't exactly want to have to invest the 300+ GBP for the latest Sansungg watch.
I've not got an apple phone, so apple watches are a no go.
I've seen the Honor Magic watch 2 in Argos, so was wondering if it has talkback, or a screen reader to make it usable by a totally blind person.
If not, I'm open to any suggestions for accessible smartwatches that won't break the bank.
Thanks in advance smile

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2020-07-31 01:07:47

I guess if it runs the default Android for watch operating system it should.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-31 10:46:58

@2 I'm not sure.
A couple years back I remember buying a Samsung gear S2 neo, and that didn't have talkback on it.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2020-07-31 14:49:42

Did some quick Googling, and I don't think this watch is accessible. First and formost, it's not running WearOS which is the current OS Android watches run. It instead uses something called LiteOS which is apparently something custom developped by Huawei, which also sadly appears to not have any accessibility features. I skimmed through the manual and nowhere it mentions a screen reader or any other accessibility features for that matter

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2020-07-31 17:27:32

?  @pitermach, So it doesn't have APK support? Come to think of it, does WearOS have APK support in the first place?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.