2020-07-30 19:14:56

Hi all, i was busy trying to dual boot ubuntu with windows. Then i realised that dell's navigation is full of shit for a blind person, and it does not work to good. So i will rather run it in a virtual machine. what is the best way for a blind person to run an ubuntu vm?
what is the best app to do this with? Please don't tell me vmware... unless it is the only option out there...

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-07-30 19:21:41

ha
i'll still say run it in vmware.
vertualbox doesn't seems that good for me at least

2020-07-30 19:32:19

vmware is the best

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-30 19:49:49

I've never gotten Virtualbox to work either, save for with Docker for Windows which does the management for you.  it's a fine enough app, but almost completely inaccessible.  VMWare is your best bet if you want to run Orca/etc, but if you just want bash and CLI tools you can get away with installing Ubuntu under WSL from the Microsoft store and typing bash at any command prompt thereafter.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-30 20:41:24

what is your problom with vmware, it is so easy to use

2020-07-30 21:44:07

@Meatbag, Unless it's hardware related, but yeah. VMWare for the win!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-30 22:23:28

@6, hardwear related like how, there is an old version of it that works on 32 bit, what more do you neade

2020-07-30 22:36:15

VMWare player is free and works great, so why not use it? You can probably also use QEmu and Virtualbox, both should be usable, but both are not as powerful as VMWare. Docker for Windows is usable, but its entire purpose is something different than running an actual OS that you can use actively and thus would be overkill and much to complicated for such a situation.

2020-07-30 22:57:33

@7
Some processors don't support virtualization, though I don't think Virtualbox gets around that either.  There can also be issues with some of these if you're running under a hypervisor already, which can happen if you had to enable Hyper-v for some reason, though I think VMWare doesn't care about that case.

My Blog

2020-07-31 00:40:44

@camlorn, I hate that I have to mess with stuff just to be able to use Windows Sandbox, then back to VMWare, then back to Sandbox. Feels so unproductive!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-31 00:48:43

I mean, if you don't specifically need audio you can just use Hyper-v directly, or docker for windows, or wsl, etc.

My Blog

2020-07-31 01:08:30

@camlorn, Hmmm, ya lost me.

2020-07-31 01:37:29

@12
Hyper-v is VMWare by Microsoft, but unable to do audio.  WSL is run Ubuntu in standard Windows command prompt with access to your Windows files but unable to do audio.  Docker is a "I need to manage 20 vms all at the same time" programmer tool.

Easiest to install is WSL and that'll get you enough for almost anything Linux CLI, and WSL2 is in the near future to give us the rest, but obviously the running theme here is no audio, and except for hyper-v the running theme is also Linux.

My Blog

2020-07-31 11:22:07

Ok, then vmware i gues...

best regards

2020-07-31 15:51:30

Ok, i got Za linux vm up and running, it would be cool if i could dual boot it, then the experience would not be that laggy with the keyboard. but i guess i will have to deal with it since that is what a vm does...

best regards