2020-07-25 16:56:36

Hi community,
I've heard by some users that Pidgin is accessible onLinux, but on Windows it seems to be a different story. The setup screens are inaccessible. Has anyone been able to get past this on Windows?
Thanks in advance.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-25 17:12:10

I haven't tried it specifically but my guess is it's written in GTK, which is inaccessible on Windows and will be until someone puts in a lot of significant effort to support tools and platforms that the people behind GTK don't like.  But perhaps I'm wrong.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-25 17:22:40 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-07-25 17:28:09)

@camlorn, Ah, thanks. Back to Miranda it is then, and even that is far from ideal.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-25 18:28:32

Miranda NG gets close to the functionality of Pidgin, last I checked it out.

2020-07-25 18:53:54

@2 you're right, its written in gtk.
I have a pleasure of running linux so can go purple all the way!
If you dont want to run linux natively you should atleast dualboot, its worth it, trust me

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2020-07-25 19:15:14

@stasp, Um, purple? Anyway, I can't see where I'd even use Linux, and I'm not doing that whole thing, just for Pidgin.

2020-07-25 19:16:15

Libpurple is the instant messaging library underlying Pidgin.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-25 19:26:17

What is this and how can it be used?

2020-07-25 19:34:26 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-07-25 19:34:51)

@camlorn, Ah, that makes more sense.
@Blind angel 444, In short, Pidgin is a client program that allows you to add accounts from popular instant messaging platforms into that single program.
How can it be used? Well, it can't (unless you're on Linux of course).

2020-07-25 19:56:18 (edited by serrebi 2020-07-25 19:59:38)

When I used pidgin, I found out that Ubuntu had a bunch of useful plugins I wanted in their repositories. Since I didn't want to download and extract random zip files unless I had to, I would install with apt-get install pidgin.* and apt-get install purple.* to get them all, because pidgin is the only thing to use both those terms, so no downside to using a wildcard. Best for Telegram and Discord. Nothing on windows comes close in my opinion.

2020-07-25 20:12:12

@serrebi, Unigram and, Discord respectively. I just use thoes cause Miranda isn't amazing, and Pidgin, well, I've already talked about that.

2020-07-25 20:27:13

Yeah pidgin is amazing.
I'm rebuilding sonar and pidgin is one of the packages included in the pkglist.
Thanks to TheFakeVIP that told me about purple-discord because i probably wouldn't even touch it when he wouldn't tell me.
I had to enable assisstive tehnologies in manjaro to make this work, but it definitevly was worth it.
I just hope purple-discord makes it possible to voice chat with purple cliends and i wil abandon the discord cliend allmost completely in favour of pidgin.

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2020-07-28 11:21:28

No, it wont allow for voice ocmmunication.
Yeah Pidgin's good, only one external application which supports LINE, or atleast, it did.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com