2020-07-20 22:53:11

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a virtual piano, which functions as a vst plug-in. I'm therefore seaching for a vst host with the following creterias:

1: It will be accesible with JAWS.

2: It will show up as a midi synthesizer, so I can use it with a midi sequencer, i.e QWS.

3: It will be able to modify the settings of the vst plug-in, for example if the plug-in has multible presets, It can change preset.

4: It would also be very good, if it could record a wave file, so I could convert a midi-file to a wave-file, using the vst plug-in, without using a virtual audio cable.

Do anyone know a vst host, which meets most or all of these creterias?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards:
Aksel Christoffersen

2020-07-20 22:55:13

I believe Reaper with Osara supports Jaws. Note that whatever VST this is may not be accessible anyway; you should ask other blind musicians if it is.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-20 23:13:56

So, the accesibility depends on the vst it self?

I'm currently using a program called VST Midi System Synth, and it Works quite well, however it can not directly convert midi-files to wav-files, and I don't know if I can use it with a virtual piano vst. For the past, I've used it to load old vst midi-synthesizers, like the Edirol VSC and the Yamaha S-YXG50?

Can I use reaper for all this?

2020-07-21 00:11:42

Well, Reaper is a fully featured daw and can do way more than just what you're asking for. Anyway - if you're looking for just a simple vst host and which btw works somewhat better with jaws than NVDA, go check out this:
https://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

2020-07-21 00:17:09 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-07-21 00:17:47)

@ManFromTheDark, Er, never could get that to work. I don't get any wave devices.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-21 00:20:08

well then get reaper and you'll be all set. It has a midi editor too.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2020-07-21 00:22:08

Reaper would probably be your best bet because most of us here use it.
Speaking of vitual pianos, addictive keys is accessible with the sibiac add-on for NVDA, but you said you're using jaws/

2020-07-21 00:35:19 (edited by akse0435 2020-07-21 00:35:49)

Yes, I am using JAWS.

The virtual piano, that I'm thinking of buying is the Garritan Abbey Road CFX Concert Grand. It Works with more  Things than vst, but I'm interested in using vst, so I can find a program that can convert midi-files to wave-files with the virtual piano, but also with my other old virtual synths.

I'll first try suggestion from post #4.

2020-07-21 00:40:17

You can use Reaper if you want to make music, but if you want to play the vst only, you can use SaviHost. It's accessible for Jaws. You can use it with the jaws cursor.
https://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

2020-07-21 00:50:20

With respect to the accessibility of VSTs in general, they can expose parameters via an interface that lets them be automated through midi (i.e. can connect to a physical knob), via a UI, or both.  it's up to the author, but it's quite possible that things only end up connected through an inaccessible UI, then you're out of luck.  Only way to find out is to try it or know someone else who has.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-23 00:19:25

just now found out that the vst plug-in is fairly accesible, so VST Midi System Synth will still Works fine for me. So now, I'm only looking for a program which can convert a midi-file to a wav-file using a VST synth. Just a suggestion, but does there maybe exist a add-on for Foobar2000, which allow it to play midi-files with a vst synth, since Foobar2000 already can convert midi to wav?

2020-07-23 10:04:55

accessibility in CFX Concert Grand. is not that bad, I'm not sure if jaws has anything similar to NVDA OCR but if it has, you can rely on that to  easily change presets, switch perspective, and some other stuff. Lot's of parameters are exposed too.

:)

2020-07-23 23:59:07

Yes, I found out, and it also has a wav-recorder.

So I'm only looking for a program to convert midi to wav using a vst synth.

2020-07-24 14:56:54

@akse0435, FooMIDI. Done!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-25 06:34:37 (edited by akse0435 2020-07-25 10:51:12)

Yeah, that's right. I don't know, why I didn't think of that. I've already this add-on installed, and I can choose which synthesizer to use, and then I just choose the VST.

Thank you.

Edit: Just figured out that I'm wrong. As fare as I can tell, it's not possible to load a VST Synth into Foobar2000 and play midi through it.