2020-07-14 22:27:13 (edited by daigonite 2020-07-14 22:27:58)

So FYI for anyone who doesn't already know, I'm not blind.

But I was thinking about something - you know the mirror test? Its a test to see if an animal is able to cognitively understand that what it's looking at is its own reflection. Being able to identify yourself in a mirror and being told that this is "you" is an important part of social development. Obviously though, this development does not apply to people born blind, but blind people still clearly develop social identity.

I was wondering, what is your experience with developing and forming your social identity? How did being blind shape how you understood, for example, your own masculinity or femininity? How do your experiences contrast with what you experienced other people going through around you? Ect?...

I would really appreciate inputs that include other intersections of identity, especially being transgender - but lets not make it into a fight, I'm more interested in hearing people's experiences with interacting with their own identity. Especially if you were born so blind that you have never perceived a reflection.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2020-07-14 22:35:40

Cool question and well phrased. I'd ask this on r/blind and r/askblindpeople as well for allot more exposure.

2020-07-14 22:47:12 (edited by daigonite 2020-07-14 22:49:20)

Good Idea I'll cross post there.

EDIT: Looks like I have to wait a day since I don't use reddit.

2020-07-14 23:28:30

My own experience is that sound was more my way of identifying with the world.
My mom tells me that when I was very small, I vocalized a lot. I'd hum, sing, repeat sounds I heard around me, stuff like that. When I got a bit older - like two or three - I would actually sorta half-ass narrate play sessions. I never had to worry about who was making what sound, because either I knew it was me, or I knew it wasn't. There was no need for a perception test like you'd do with a mirror for a sighted child, because there's really no auditory equivalent.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-07-14 23:28:50

I've never put any thought into it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-14 23:47:56

Being able to recognize yourself in a mirror is not all that social identity is. It is merely one of the ways to check for it, one of the proofs that it exists.

If a tree falls and nobody is there to hear it, it still makes a sound. If you put a lid over a pot of tea, so you can't see/feel the steam lifting up from it, that does not mean it isn't hot.

But if that's any comfort, most of us VI people would be able to recognize recordings of our voices. That proves a similar thing, does it not?

Who we are is far more complex than just what we look like. It's our knowledge, our beliefs, our ways of perceiving and thinking about the world around us. It's how we feel in our body (something that you can determine even without seeing it). It's others' expectations of us, how we should look, how we should act, and how we choose to adapt (or not) to those expectations. It's a lot of other things that I am too lazy to list.

Can you figure all those things out just by looking in a mirror? Unfortunately not.

Our sense of identity develops inside that weird mushy thing inside our skulls, and for most blind people, that thing works just fine. Sure, we can't pass the mirror test. But we're all humans anyway. We're like you, you know how we work. You know how society shaped you; is it that hard to guess in what ways it shaped us?

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-07-15 00:02:27 (edited by Dark 2020-07-15 00:02:51)

I actually typed out a long personal post for this topic, but then thought it might be both a bit too heavy and revealing for this forum, as well as feeling more than a little self-indulgent.

i'll just confine myself to saying, that my own sense of self, and especially of being male is so screwed up anyway, it's hard to say how much of that is related to blindness.

I will note that in England any blind person automatically falls into the "homo blindus weerdus" species, and therefore any sense of "social identity", as you put it first has to overcome the fact that most people don't perceive you as a human being anyway, so how you look or don't look in a mirror is pretty secondary to that anyhow.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-07-15 00:09:42 (edited by Rastislav Kish 2020-07-15 00:13:54)

Hi there,
well, technically speaking, blind people can pass the mirror test. If you walk into a big cave, with a big hall and say "Hello", and hear a response "Hello", you know, that its you, and not anyone else.
This may seem bit discutable, as the echo is something expected in caves, so let put it on another example, if you see a video, with you as a speaker, you can tell immediately, that it's you.

So yeah, identities work in blind people as well. Infact, neither sight nor hearing is important for what we call identity of something, or instantiating a class, said in programmatic terms.
Our brain is creating a virtual map of anything around us. If one sees a ball, the image of a ball is not real, its just his imagination, which his brain created based on electromagnetic waves passing around.
And it creates exactly the same object image when it receives informations from mechanical waves passing around i.e. sound.
We feel it in a different way, as we need to distinguish the two senses from each other, but the object's identity is the same for all senses.

For example, assume I can see for few minutes again, like I could 10 years ago. If I was playing Goalball with a ringing ball, I can see the ball, I can hear the ball and determine its location.
Now, if I had covered my eyes, I wouldn't see the ball anymore, but I would still hear it. And I'd know, that it's exactly the same ball, that I've seen before, as its mental image staied untouched in my mind.
It doesn't have the graphical part, but it has the descriptive part plus sound part. If I had covered my ears as well, the ball would still exist in my mind as an object with identity, though with static location, as I wouldn't have a way to update it.
But in the moment, when the ball would hit me, I'd know that it's exactly the same ball, and I'd be able to update its location based on my touch sense.

So, what is needed in order to understand an identity?
Answer, any kind of unique input data.

Even smell can create an instance of a class in one's mind, when I smell pancakes during my work at home, my brain automatically creates a model of these pancakes and is expecting it to be on its plate few hours later, during the dinner.

And when we're talking about this object mental map, it's just natural, that it contains ourselves as well, as the most basic, always present unique data input.

Best regards

Rastislav

2020-07-15 00:33:10

Also, to answer the second part of the first post, regarding masculinity and femininity.
The good thing about brain's mental map is, that our senses are not the only way to update it.
Some kind of sense is required in order to get input data, but once we have them, we can make abstractions based on them.
And then feed those abstractions to our mental map.

Thus it doesn't really matter, whether one sees that he / she is male or female. He or she reads about it, hears about it, can even sense it by touch and has also the internal mechanisms driving toward one of the directions.
His brain will do the rest, what can't be seen will be supported with other senses and abstraction.

I have never seen a neural network for example, but based on its description, mathematical formulas, results of computations, I have a quite good imagination of what it is, all of that just through one sense, sound.
Its abstraction created my mind model, or better said its class for neural network, and is able to work with it.

So, as I said in my previous post, mind map is not truly about sight. The only problem is, that light carries a really lot of informations. Very accurate informations.
Most of the informations we get is from sight, about 60 or 70%, if I remember correctly. Thus being out of this rich information source is quite a problem, but not a problem of creating mental maps, but a problem of acquiring informations.
We must somehow get them through the rest 30% of our input. And that is the whole art of being blind. Or the whole hell of being blind, you can choose. smile

Best regards

Rastislav

2020-07-15 00:37:22

Sight happens very, very fast, and an image seen in a reflective surface will move every time you do, pretty much instantaneously. There's a whole different level of recognition there. A lot of animals don't realize that it's not actually a different animal they're seeing, but many figure it out quite quickly. So, Mayana, I don't think it's quite that Daigonite is trying to say that sense of sight = sense of self. I think it's more that self-recognition in a blind person doesn't go through quite the same phases, which I think is true enough.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-07-15 01:10:44

For me I actually looked at myself in a mirror because I lost might sight when I was 3. I remember thinking I had a big nose. Other than that though just the sound of my voice and other stuff like that I suppose.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-07-15 02:37:46

My mental imagery is still in tact even though my vision has worsened to the point of not being able to see the same level of detail. If I know what a thing looks like and I'm presented with it, the mental image is there.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-15 04:19:04 (edited by Rastislav Kish 2020-07-15 04:21:33)

One good example for importance of informations for building a mental map happened to me just about a month ago.
It was morning, I just woke up in my bed and assumed, that a new day is starting. When I found... an arm. Someone's arm, lying in my bed.
That was the first surprise, an alien arm in a bed for one person is not something you'd see very often.
I assumed that someone is crouching near my bed, with his / her arm lying on it. The position would quite match that state, so i have stopped moving and started listening. But noone was there, I didn't catch any sounds typical for human presence, like breathing, moving, etc.
Another wtf, what is an arm without an owner doing in my bed? That's even weirder than someone being around.
Because arms don't produce sound, and tasting or smelling it wouldn't give me any useful informations, I have used my touch, right hand, to track the arm's owner.
After a while, I found, that the arm is connected to my body!
What the f-**k?! Although I didn'ŧ want to believe it at first, it was really my arm. But I didn't sense anything in it, infact, I have realized that I am one-handed at that point.
When I lifted it with my right hand, it was really like lifting a hand of someone else, absolutely no response.
Because reclamation probably wouldn't help me much, I tried to repair it myself. After some massaging, it slowly started taking sense back and after few minutes, I was able to use my left arm, like nothing had happened.
This thing is a quite common problem, sometimes called a numb arm or dead arm. It's caused by compression of nerves controlling the arm, if you sleep on it.
And it's especially interesting encountering it as blind, there is really no reason to consider that arm to be yours until you find the connection.
It nicely highlights the importance of the information flow to understanding things around us.

Also, it is a good example of ability of our brains to analyse a probability of every information and making judges on them.
This wasn't the first time when I encountered the numb arm, it happens from time to time, as I musn't sleep on my back due to health reasons. And its always surprising, because these informations are one of the first processed after waking up.
However, besides numb arm, I have also encountered numb... le'ts call it genitals.
This can occur as well, for the same reason as numb arm. However, I didn't get it in bed, but probably in a bad sitting position during a day.
And while it was definitely weird, totally no response after touching, I was not surprised in means of who do they belong to. They were there just few minutes ago, it must be them.
They're probably just being updated or something. smile

Note here, how does the availability of reliable informations change the view. Human brain is a truly amazing machine.

Best regards

Rastislav

2020-07-15 04:42:25

I've had the numb arm once. It was weird, I woke up with no feeling there and I could barely move the arm at all. When I touched it, it was ice cold and I had to pick it up and it felt heavy. I thought I had done permanent damage, but after some working from the shoulder down to the hand, blood flow was restored and the numbness went away.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-15 04:45:17

For me, sound is my main way of identifying with the world, other sences as  well, but I rely on sound the most.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-07-15 05:52:02 (edited by daigonite 2020-07-15 05:53:51)

I apologize if anyone thought I was trying to say that blind people have no sense of identity! I was actually trying to criticize the mirror test as a test of cognition and thinking about how psychology traditionally neglects the existence of blind people. So I was interested in seeing how identity develops in blind people since it must still be different despite being built on cultural information interactions.

Its worth pointing out too that many of these cultural interactions originate in sighted people too, which means that blind people's identities are shaped through processes they don't experience directly.

When experimenting with blindness myself, the biggest thing I notice is that visual processing is so fast that it automates much of the thinking for you so you know where everything is all at once. While blind processing is relative and focuses on relationships. Sighted people actually use the second type of processing for many thing but not as heavily as blind people, and that impacts cognition.

#8 and #9 - fantastic posts, don't worry I'm aware that the mirror test doesn't automatically imply anything about blind people. I've honestly always been critical of the test for this very reason... I was actually more interested in exploring the consequences of what that means for a lot of at least popular understanding of psychology, because psychology tends to neglect blind people. Back when I was dating that guy a few years ago he was treated like crap by his college psych program (they acted like he could never complete it) so most blind people aren't even able to engage in the study.

But you're absolutely 100% right and I totally agree. Identity is formed through contextual clues, which can be absorbed through other means.

I don't know if your example with the echoes actually works though because the mirror test is trying to capture a specific type of cognition relating to recognizing your own face as your own, and is socially derived. But there might be a better alternative.

I bring up gender too because I talked to some trans blind people and it was very interesting to see how they came out about their gender identity, and I feel that even in non-trans blind people there are interesting things to say here as well.

2020-07-15 08:16:21

My opinion is that the sighted people rely so much on visual information that they must have an immage of themselves in their mind in order to have identity. This fact isn't entirely necessary, in fact, as a blind person I have no immage of myself and I don't need one. It's hard to need something that your mind doesn't know it really exists or not. For born blind people immage is just an abstract thing, just as is ecolocation for most of the sighted. Surely I can make my own guesses about what sight is but I'm sure they are so inaccurate that it wouldn't even be worth mentioning. The problem is that senses don't need words to describe because they are innate to us and everyone perceives them. You can't describe a banana to someone who haven't tasted it, the same applies to sight.
Regarding identity, I believe the most important sense in this matter is proprioception. This sense tells you where your arm is, where your legs are and in which way they are moving without looking or touching them. It allows you to feel all your body-parts and to be sure that they are yours.
In the end, I don't need to identify with any immage, it's enough that I exist, that's sufficient proof for me.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2020-07-15 08:22:55

I don't think vision or even hearing plays that important role in forming an image about yourself in your mind. Most of you may know that, our own voice, sounds very different to us in reality when we speak, and it's very different in a recording. For me, more important part of identity are my experiences, my background, my likes and dislikes, and even my family and my friends. Because, those are the things and people I identify myself with.
Sighted people however, they have imense importance on the visual data, and thus, physical things matter too much to them. In my case, lots of sighted people around me say that my White Cain is a part of my identity. Whereas, in reality, it doesn't help me to navigate, I carry that cain simply to be seen as blind. Don't worry, I am not faking blindness, I have crappy vision, and I've mastered that vision to navigate daily challenges in life. Therefore, Whenever my cain breaks, I am not worried that I might not be able to go home safely, but I am worried about other people misjudging me and doing something wrong. I won't get the seat reserved for differently abled in public transport if I am not carrying my cain, and even if I wip out my disability certificate. Some of the people are just too suspicious about documents and think that certificates can be faked, and only cain is the correct indication. It does make sense to have a visual indication of your disability when the entire world around you relys on visual cues to do things.

2020-07-15 11:06:51

@daigonite, a book you might find interesting is Simon Hayhoe's book philosophy and exclusion, blindness touch and the arts in England 2015 (and I don't say that just because he was the external examiner for my phd).

It's surprisingly readable for a book on ethics, and is about the history of education for blind people in England and america, and how  the various theories of how blind people acquire knowledge have changed over time, since Hayhoe's point is that any theory of disability comes itself from existing concepts of disability, EG about the representative quality of various senses, for example, how  modern beliefs about blindness are founded on traditions such as that of Leonado de vinci, who actually argued that blind people were less close to god than sighted people because in christian worship it was the image of god that was venorated, and the "light of god" which blind people were denied, theories which lead directly to the idea that blind people could not directly assimilate knowledge even accept through rote learning and repetitive activity, somethig which is scarily close to some of the attitudes of the special school I attended myself.

You are correct on the difference between direct top down perception which most sighted people use, and indirect bottom up perception in terms of processing speed.
However, bare in mind indirect perception does tend to increase the more you use it. This is why I suspect most sighted people buy into the myth that blind people have superior other senses, simply because blind people pay attention to more things.

For example, i once astounded a couple of friends by being able to find the right exit from a crowded train station by smell, they couldn't see the sign, but I happened to know where the starbux is. I have also noticed that sighted people do not pay much attention to spacial or tactile information, heck I've watched films with people and when I comment on the soundtrack people have told me they literally didn't' hear it.

I also remember when i was at one vocal studies class where people were complaining of an inability to learn songs, my first advice was "don't hold the words", since I notice myself, on the rare occasions I have had actually written words to read in front of me, I don't rely on my memory, whereas if I simply learn the words myself before singing, I always can be confident of remembering them, even if I'm singing in German or Italian.

it's actually a rather amusing experience on the rare occasions I've been allowed into a production, where at the beginning whilst I'm still learning words, I always feel a little inadequate since I probably haven't learned the hole thing until the second time through, then suddenly there will be that wonderful moment where the conductor yells at everyone:
"scores down! sing without words"

And suddenly everyone else is having far more trouble than I am big_smile.

I'm afraid gender identity for me is a pretty confusing business, since sexual abuse is also involved (sexual abuse perpetrated by girls).

if you want my take on this send me a pm, but it's probably too heavy a subject to go into publicly on this forum.

@MDW:  interestingly enough, I am precisely the opposite way around. I carry a cane, or use my guide dog simply as a mobility aide to make my personal life easier. I absolutely refuse to wear any of the hyper reflective clothing which is almost a blindness uniform over here, and if I'm in an environment where I can get on without a mobility aide, I won't use one, indeed I remember someone once asked me if I took my cane  when performing on stage and I denied them vehemently.

On the other hand, if I'm in most public environments where I need a mobility aide, I actually feel better having one with me, since I am far more worried about falling into a step or walking into something, and having my cane or my dog just helps with that, especially I might say my guide dog.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-07-15 12:26:01

I wasn’t born blind but lost my sight due to an accident that could have taken my life. I became blind when I was just one –and-a-half years old. I cannot remember anything whatsoever from that time.
It’s a pretty interesting question and having taking some courses in psychology and sociology, my idea about the title was that it would contain something completely different, although how you look is still a major part of your identity.
Anyway, I never had any idea of how I look, or how would I perceive myself if I could have the chance to see again. Of course we get a great deal of information through sound, which, due to the importance we as blind people give to, allows us to create our view of the world. That doesn’t mean, however, that what we perceive is necessarily always the same as what our sighted counterparts do. This, being said, how a blind person perceives me is not the same as a sighted one does because the hierarchy of information changes. What is important to a blind person might not well be to a sighted.
I’ll go a bit further into the topic. So there are two freshmen students at a university, where one is blind, and the other is not. They are having a conversation and a girl joins. That girl has a very cool personality: she has a good sense of humour, is open-minded, talks a lot, has a pretty mature idea of things, but she’s not anywhere close to being attractive or beautiful. Some might consider her ugly. Now which of the two guys is likely to be drawn to that girl, in the sense that they would be driven to date her? Of course the blind student is, because the qualities we look for to a person match the ones that the girl in question has. I’ve seen this scenario multiple times and have compared the ways I and my sighted friends had when we met other people, although the above scenario is a bit unlikely to happen because a girl who is beautiful normally bosts a high confidence.

2020-07-15 12:28:40

So yeah, thinking about this subject in the context of the mirror test was kinda mindblowing, personally.
There was a time when I could see well enough to know that mirrors exist, but what I saw in mirrors was not especially clear or useful, so I generally ignored them unless I was bored and climbed onto the bathroom counter to get close enough to make out details.
For the level of vision I had, what I needed to get that kind of detail was a video with just the right lighting and zoom. Photos of people were never good enough.
So I went about rather unreflectively, until one day when I was searching through a bunch of VHS cassettes for Fox Kids recordings, and put in a home video instead. Normally I'd just immediately take it back out, but that seemed kinda rude, so I let it play for a while.
Turned out to be my second birthday. I remembered certain bits, not so much others, and there were spots where my memory and the video disagreed (ex, at one point I remember my hair in my eyes, and I'd mentally edited the color to match what it had become later).
If there is any moment that can be considered identity-critical, it's after watching that, comparing my memory to the video, then getting that perfect shot with the perfect zoom and lighting that it's way better than any mirror, and having the differences forced to my attention.

Re: gender, idk. "Cis by default" comes built in with a lack of content. I generally found social pressure toward gendering things unpleasant? I never liked Hotwheels? I'd comment on fighting games and action cartoons, but then I realized that my grandmother was a huge Wrestling fan, I played fighting games with my sister / aunt / cousins, and when I got into online communities, it was via fanfiction with a community that was pretty diverse (when I wasn't driving everyone away by turning up the "lol im so random" and arrogance up to 111). Really, mostly my feelings on gender are that stereotypes have always felt like bullcrap, and it's always been nice when someone misgenders me unintentionally, or when someone gave me a female-coded gift by mistake, etc. And I've generally hated when websites force you to pick a gender, because gah it's the internet it doesn't matter let me be myself and ignore the damned box!
Having said all that, intentional misgendering was always frustrating because of the fact that it was teasing. It could have been about anything (someone deliberately acting like my hair was a different color, or that I was wearing a different shirt, or pick a detail), and I'd still have been loudly annoyed by it in the 1990s. (When I was very small, people liked exaggeratedly feminizing my name, which is hilarious in hindsight because my name is already unisex).
Does blindness have anything to do with any of that? I have no idea. My dad went with a more 1980s muscleman aesthetic combined with a heavy dose of Bruce Lee, which made it frustrating to know end when I'd want a toy based on a child character and he'd complain about how overpriced and unimpressive it was compared to the more 80s masculin characters. And there was this one time, when he would tell me bedtime stories, and the protagonists had lost their powers but were transforming into Street Fighter characters out of sheer will and imagination, and I suggested one character become Dhalsim, and he had the other become Guile, and it was really obvious which character was supposed to be having the most trouble with the mindstate from his performance. (Then the action sequence happened, and he remembered the tactical advantages of being able to teleport and set things on fire, but that's neither here nor there).
If my vision played into this at all, I suppose it'd have to do with ... idk, how well I could appreciate the details? The character portraits in Street Fighter 2 were kinda weird, and going only by those, Blanca, Guile and Vega (Ja: Balrog) were the portraits I actually liked, because of their lack of reliance on complex shapes or details, and instead having huge swaths of distinct color. Dhalsim I could recognize as soon as the fight began because of his reach, and the effects of his projectile were very clear. Big muscles or prominant curves just meant more blurry lines distracting from the colors and big shapes I could actually appreciate? Like, I generally don't imagine the characters in my writing / games as having well-defined muscles or curves, other than like two examples for each (and one of those is modeled after an action figure, and the others only grew them as I contemplated art styles and actors, and the other is just so big that his overall shape makes bulging biceps redundant). Most of the time, it never occurs to me that characters have these features until I get my hands on an action figure.
(Funny little Power Rangers tangent: when MMPR was new, I naturally wanted the complete team in toy form. Finding the 10 inch versions of the male rangers was trivial. By the time Christmas came around, someone had found a yellow one, too. But We scoured every Wal-mart, K-mart, KB Toys, and Toys R Us within a 50mi radius, and the only pink ranger that could be found was an oversized plushy. We finally found one (with kicking action) at a Toys R Us on the day that "The  mutiny" aired, and it was indeed the exact same shape as the others but with a different helmet, and this is exactly what I expected. Then, a year later, the Movie came out, along with those McDonalds toys, and the Pink and Yellow rangers had boobs, and I was very confused and blamed it on the movie exaggerating. It would be like 10 years or more before I'd discover that the yellow ranger had actually been gender-swapped in MMPR compared to Zyuuranger. Even though my stepmother commented that she looked like a boy when I got one of the first figures, and one of the movie trailers went out of its way to get a frontal shot of the yellow ranger to let everyone know they'd noticed. So far as I was concerned, the only way to tell boys and girls apart was hair length, and given that I had long hair as a toddler and my sister's was short, even that was unreliable.)

I guess I sorta feel like my vision plays into my general tendency to imagine / prefer androgyny, but it also results in my prefering simple character designs and outfits and not caring about facial descriptions beyond hair and eye color. And it is worth noting that there are plenty of people with comparable visual experience, and I rather doubt they've taken these things the same way. So while it's easy to tie these things to vision, I expect there's way more going on that's less obvious.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-07-15 16:02:56

Dark, thanks for the suggestion but I'm going to have to pirate it because its like $45 for a digital copy and I'm poor lol.

I've been really taking a review of my older work and also when I was dating my ex who was studying psychology in the last few months because it never occurred to me how the two are related. I mean I was aware of the discrimination and how it impacted psychology but I never really dug deep into how its really all a question of cognition and perception. In the meantime I've been making up for a lot of lost time.

Obviously our views of how identity is formed in psychology is based around sighted people and their understanding of the world. Something I've been thinking a lot about lately is how blind people essentially are adapted in a culture constructed around them that they can only perceive large parts of it indirectly - such as understanding the social abstract context of color, light or visual texture, but not the actual experience of it - a sort of cultural hand-me-down from the social norm. So

And you're totally right about how repeated use makes you more efficient. I've even experienced it myself when I walk around blind in the house. It obviously doesn't have the same level of acuity but practice goes a long way. The idea of blind people having "super senses" is just another layer of how many people don't even understand the basics of how senses work - this kind of repeated use is also necessary for visual development and has been known for decades.

It's different than the totally-deaf community though, because total deafness causes a very different kind of social integration than blindness does, leading to enough isolation to often form their own deaf communities and culture, to the point that the deaf face some level of social extinction threat through inner ear implants.

CAE_Jones, something interesting about gender norms too is that a lot of them are visual. And a lot of the reason why people decide they want to be the opposite sex (not all, but at least some) is based on attaining a visual appearance. So even these gender norms are heavily encoded in visual contexts. Some people are trans and they have talked a bit about their relationships with being trans, something interesting I notice is how a lot of sighted people think that blind trans people are simply impossible, again for many of the same reasons that blind people encounter for other "impossible" blind things.

Regarding gender, something I noticed when dating my ex was there was quite a bit of subtle misogyny from his parents surrounding his lack of manliness because he was blind. I don't know if he ever paid attention to it but there was always this kind of undercurrent that he couldn't really be a full man. And my parents took that crap to the next level. They basically treat you like you're dating a wimp. That might be similar to the social pressures your dad was pushing you through with hyper masculinity, to make up for the perceived "femininity" that blindness causes.

Your post was really interesting because per usual i always run to the totally blind without even thinking fully of the partially blind. Its really kind of a gradient that expresses itself different for everyone, isnt it?

2020-07-16 11:28:15

Very interesting topic, so in no particular order, let me show some thoughts:
-The mirror thing is about self conciousness, not about social identity. In any case, the same concept works for hearing your own voice, touching your own face or whatever. Back to the mirror, I think the point is that you can understand that something external is representing you, as if you listen yourself through headphones while you talk to a microphone, you would know it's your own voice even if you never heard your voice before, just because you are aware of your own actions, then you know exactly what are you saying.
-ABOUT the so called identity, as a male, female, transgender, etc, perhaps my personal opinion is weird because I am blind since I was 4 years old, but I believe it's a useless social aspect. Am I a male? Yes, I am supposed to be one. I definitely prefer girls, but I never wake up in the morning and think: oh, yes! I am a man! I play a lot of diferent roles in my life: I am a son, a friend, a lover, a musizian, a colleague, whatever, but, a man? I see no diferences between me an any other human being in that field, I have more in common with some girls than with some guys.
From my point of view, my male identity has the same meaning as someone who one day decides he is a member of the blond comunity, and starts living his live as blond people is suposed to live.
the identity of anyone is made from many aspects, but, again in my opinion, if you are paying so much atention to your gender, you may have a problem. live your life your way and enjoy, your gender would help you find your favorite clothes in a shop: skirts to the right, pants to the left, for the rest, being a male doesn't mean anything for me.
Please excuse my english, hopefully it makes sense

2020-07-17 20:19:11

Dark that attitude isn't uncommon here in the US as well. Jayde also has a point in that animals don't always realize right away that they might be seeing themselves in a reflective surface. A great example of this was the little COcker Spaniel puppy named Billy, whom my family adopted when I was about ten or so. Well one day my mom had indulged in some spring/summer cleaning and part of that involved washing the windows and the sliding glass door that led out to the back patio and yard. Not long afterward I was in the living room and heard Billy growling at something. COme to find out it was his own reflection in the sliding door. I think it took him a bit to figure out he was growling at himself.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2020-07-17 20:23:49

Interesting point about singing Dark. I've often gotten amazed comments when I go out for karaoke about how I MUST! have some usable sight to be able to get all the words right when I sing a particular song. The fact that I'm usually not even facing the teleprompter doesn't seem to matter. Then I've noticed that sighted people tend to stumble, both in terms of words but also their timing, when they sing because they're so focused on the screen. I've actually had some friends of mine who were of the more sensible sort tell me that my lack of sight probably gives me more of an advantage in the karaoke arena.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!