2020-07-09 10:52:43

So due to ... well actually I don't know what caused or is causing it, but I've ranted about it before on here. Either way I was forced to switch to my xbox to play Mortal Kombat on due to connection problems on the pc.
Now, all this time, I've been a keyboard user and I've been doing great with it. There would be a missed input once in a blue moon but my kombos were on point provided I practiced the timings, my hit confirms were doing good and my punishes were quick.
But now, stuck using a controller ...
It must be said that I've always had a problem with my finger speed and dexterity, but this is something else. It's like I just picked up the game for the first time but not even that, since if you look at the shit I do you can see I know what I'm doing.
Let's take a very basic cenario here. Yesterday I was playing with some Joker in MK11 in Kombat League. Joker's best string in his footsies is f212, for you non-mk players that forward input with a y, x and a y input right after one another.
After his f21 you can do certain things, you can finish the string by inputting 2, you can force a mixup with either bf3 (back to forward a) or bf2 (in his first tournament loadout anyway).
There's a hit confirm in f21, so you have to be able to input it very quickly to see if the opponent blocks. If they block you can apply pressure with bf4 (back to forward b).
I was playing footsies with this absolute garbage player and I was doing bf21, and since he never blocked I didn't have to worry about the hit confirm, which is pretty much impossible for me anyway on the controller unless it's Johnny's f344 or 244 strings or similarly long ones as I can not input the followup quickly enough.
I meant to do f21 bf2 amplify to load up a really nice crushing blow, but I kept missing the back input, even though I could've sworn I hit back on the D-pad. I got so frustrated that I rage quit, giving my opponent, who was utterly clueless a nice quitality.
I had to go for a walk to calm myself. I lost 90 percent of matches yesterday because I did the wrong input at the wrong time. This wasn't supposed to happen.
If you're still reading this, or have scrolled down, I guess my question is, what can I do to mitigate this? How can I improve my speed and accuracy? What options are there for me other than practicing in training mode?

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2020-07-09 11:21:03

Aren't you able to connect a keyboard anyway?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-09 12:05:03

To the xbox, yes? However it is not compatible with MK11; only a few select games have keyboard support.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2020-07-10 00:29:40

Hey try the controller on pc. I've had weird xbox lag issues before, rule out both that and a possibly just broken controller. Failing that there is an option in controller settings to set the timing windows to long instead of medium.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2020-07-10 08:36:24

Oops, I broke my xbox controller cable ... is it possible to get a replacement or do I have to get a new controller? Just asking in case someone knows the answer on hand.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2020-07-10 11:35:18

@LordLundin, Isn't it just a standard USBC cable? In that case, I guess anyone would work, and that's only if it's not wireless.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-10 15:47:51

Xbox 1 is USB A to USB micro.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united