Sarah's social circle
User Karma: 134
thanks, doing that now yall

Forum header wrote:

rory-games
Today 5:38 am
Sarah's social circle
User Karma: 134

So barely three hours, he either didn't do it at all or did it and revoked it. OK, I'm all out of fucks to give.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-06 17:03:55 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-07-06 17:05:33)

Bah. This damn boy I say.

But I think this illustrates his point nicely. He wants to leave, but then he has something to post, be it a question, something to share, etc etc. So he just jumps back on the forums. Its like, he knows someone will most likely be able to help him, and somebody may benefit and appreciate what he shares, so its a double edge sword.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-07-06 17:03:55

I actually took it serious this time. See why I prefer to be sarcastic and well sometimes an asshole instead?
Don't get me wrong, I have tuns of issues myself. But I do try to consider their advice. I don't know how good at that I am. I remember all the silly blindness topics I made last year. Those really helped me out. I still hate blindness. But I am trying to find better ways to deal with stress and possibly stabilize myself. IDK. At this point I am just writing cause I got nothing else to do.

2020-07-06 17:32:20

He knows it isn't healthy for him to be here though. He knows it and is doing it anyway. I mean, he's old enough to know that, maybe not to understand all of the implications of it, or maybe even that. Because maturity isn't based on age. I would say that he's not very mature though. I will also say that anyone has a breaking point, and when you're being jumped on by all sides, what can you expect. Knowing this, I think he should leave for a while and let matters rest regarding him. People will calm down given time. He's really gotta work on that impulse control.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-06 18:09:05

Moderation:
I've been hanging back and watching this develop, trying to decide how I feel about it. I'm not going to make a decision on my own here, because that's not why I'm here. I'm not the only member of the staff team.
However, as one member of said team, I'm actually leaning toward granting Rory's request. Here's why.

1. Rory is young. This means that his brain is not fully developed. Physiologically speaking, this means things like impulse control aren't done being built and reinforced.
2. Internet addiction, video game addiction and the like are very real, and can be hugely problematic once they become entrenched.
3. There is nothing we can do to stop Rory using his computer, his phone, or whatever other tools he wishes to use. However, if he finds that specific aspects of his online life are affecting him too greatly, we may be able to help. This is not without precedent; some other games and platforms allow you to freeze your own account, so in the absence of that tool, asking us to do it is not unreasonable.
4. I get the sense that no matter what Rory does, people are going to come down pretty heavily on him. No, he's not covering himself in glory, and yes, I do believe he has problems to address. But just as one example, this topic is about being deliberately banned; it's not about Rory's dev schedule or history. As such, I'm going to kindly ask that if you don't have productive things to say, please just bow out for now. This isn't a warning or a threat, it's a request.
5. It's well and good to say that Rory should just figure out what he wants, and how he intends to get what he wants. It's well and good to say that he should just muster the willpower. In general, I agree that willpower is important to foster. However, I also accept that sometimes, it can be very difficult to take that first step. I don't think it's especially shameful or unacceptable to request that someone take the decision out of your hands. To use a similar, if slightly more common example, I've heard substance abusers say things to their loved ones along a similar line. "You've got to get rid of this for me. Lock it up. Pour it out. Give it away. If you don't, I'm just not going to be able to resist it yet.". I think sometimes it's understandable to get that first big push from outside, after asking for it. After all, Rory is not completely deferring his problem. By asking to be banned, he is actually trying in some way to deal with it.

As such, this has caused me to come to the conclusion that users should be able to request a deliberate account ban which does not count against their punishments in any way. My own leaning would have three set times for a ban: three months, one year, permanent. In the past, we've had users try and get us to eliminate all traces of themselves from the forum, but that's not realistically going to happen here, not ever. However, if someone wants to permanently leave, and doesn't trust themselves to just quite, I don't see why we can't put in place a protocol which will ban them permanently. Likewise, if someone like Rory wants to go away for three months, or twelve, to figure himself out, I'm not against it. This comes with a few caveats though:
1. It -would be a set of protocol. We're not talking about a system where you make a request and it's immediately granted. Very likely it's going to result in some sort of communication between the requesting individual and at least one staff member.
2. Implied in this agreement between a voluntarily frozen user and the staff is an agreement that you will not use alternate accounts. If you do this, you will be punished as if you created an alternate account, just like anyone else.
3. Except in extreme circumstances, once both sides are in agreement on what happens, there will be no taking it back. If you're banned for a week and decide that you've figured things out, you're still going to have to wait. I do not want to set up a system where we are at your beck and call to ban and unban you whenever the spirit moves you.

I am wondering what you folks think of this idea. To be clear, this would be a protocol much like the rank name change, not just granted to one individual but provided on a case-by-case basis upon request.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-07-06 19:32:49

@Jayde I support this a hundred support. I think he really could do with a cool down of the forums, and for anybody else who just can't keep away, but want too.

_____

2020-07-06 21:30:10

@Jayde for what it's worth, I love your idea. From what I've seen from other forums, if a user asks to be banned, they generally get banned. (though admittedly, on some of those forums the admins are assholes and make that ban permanent)

Sure, it would be better if he could take control of this himself. That's why I tried to be nice in #27 and give him a few options for that. And if he can't, I'm not sure if a ban's gonna help, because there are ways of getting around it. But perhaps it it will be just enough of a restriction to give him time to think before posting.

And I don't see a reason why not. If people's titles can be temporarily changed because they make them uncomfortable, then this shouldn't be unreasonable either. To make a bad joke: He doesn't like his title and wants it changed to banned. tongue

And for those here that don't like him, look, I don't blame you. But if anything, you should be the most supportive of this. If he gets banned, then you'll have peace for a few months. Great, huh?

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-07-06 22:52:23

I am in agreement with this.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-07 01:37:49

I'm also in agreement with him.

73 Wj3u

2020-07-07 01:45:30

I don't think it will do much for Rory specifically, but I do believe that it's a good idea.

2020-07-07 02:49:33

I think in Raury‘s case it should be one year. I think this will benefit him the most. I also agree 100% with JAYDE on this

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-07-07 03:38:38

This makes sense to me. As was mentioned, some games (Aardwolf among them) have a mechanism in place allowing you to freeze your account for some time. Once you get past all the checks and confirmations that you really meant to do this and it goes into effect, it stays on until the time you've chosen has passed.

2020-07-07 06:40:07

I don't believe any one person should decide how long the ban lasts. Saying that it should be a year for Rory is kind of pointless. If this goes forward, we'll discuss with rory what he thinks, and we'll work from that. It may be a year, it may be a shorter time.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-07-07 07:28:27

Couple of things:

1. Jayjay is j, a, y, j, a, y, not jj.

2. I agree with Jayde completely.

Best regards: Marco

2020-07-07 14:09:14

Yeah nah, it's not for any of us to determine the duration, it's between Rory and the staff.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-07 14:17:39

So, I was just reading through, and @30, your post was autocorrected to Ferrari instead of For Rory. LOL.

_____

2020-07-07 15:51:14

@JayJay, That, and they spelled your name wrong. Haha.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-07-07 16:05:33

@66 lol, I had to look and yes I see it too

2020-07-07 16:29:18

Hello,

I wish you good luck in all you're going through, and I wish we could see you back on this forum as soon as possible!
Well, this banning request system is kinda interesting, I agree with it. Personaly I don't think I'm ever gonna use it, but who knows. smile

Wanna chat? Hit me up on Telegram – it's the best way! Discord works too if you catch me there (StormProductions). If all else fails, just drop me an email at [email protected]. You’ve got options!

2020-07-07 18:22:15

I have to say I agree with J\ Jade's idea, a way for members to request a lock-out of the forum could really help those who admit that they just can't help checking the forum even if  they know at the time it's not a good idea, if someone like Rory is truely adicted to the forum and know that they can't just step away knowing full well that they can just come back at any time, and if they know that they don't have enough self control for whatever reason, then being able to request a  ban of sorts would be a great way for  them to step away for that amount of time which they can hopefully use to work out whatever their issues are

2020-07-07 18:24:35

My suggestion was more coming from personal experience with depression. Three months is not that long of a time. It is a small amount of time To be able to change yourself. Unless Rory has sought mental health counseling, I don’t know if three months is necessarily enough time to completely change his habits

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-07-07 20:00:41 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-07-07 20:02:18)

To go back to the Ferrari thing, its funny because there was a cartoon called Rory the Race Car, so lol.

@Jimmy, we'll see. I think what he needs is time away from the forums to work on his programming, himself and his ability to handle shit tossing. But I think if he works 3 months on a project in silence he may just be better off at the end of the 3 months.

_____

2020-07-07 21:55:52 (edited by Jim 2020-07-07 23:34:45)

On the one hand yes. But honestly, seeking therapy is probably the best thing he can do right now. Obviously he has some sort of mental health issues, which are extraordinarily improbable to go away on their own. And despite what many will say, seeking help does not make you weak or any less of a man. What it does do is show that you were strong enough to realize your faults and want to fix them. Just taking three months away isn’t going to magically solve all of his problems. He’s going to come back and the same behaviors are going to repeat themselves over, and over. The best thing he really can do, is open up to an adult who is trained in how to help people with these kinds of scenarios.
Extended amount of therapy can really turn you from a whiny little asshole, into a mature person. I know this from first-hand experience extraordinarily well. For those who know me personally, I am a much different person than I was a year ago. It is taking me a while to completely work on myself, but therapy was definitely the catalyst that made me improve as a human

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-07-07 22:01:43 (edited by Jim 2020-07-07 22:04:20)

Just one more thing I want to say. This applies to Rory, but others as well. Take a good hard look at your friend group. Are these people Who  are supporting you? Are these people that are propping you up and encouraging you to be a better human being? Or are they assholes dragging you down? That is something I also had to learn. It is a very difficult thing to realize, but once you do you can separate yourself from those people and truly grow into a good person.
A lot of times, these sorts of people will act as enabler’s. They will exemplify the negative behavior and cause feedback loops of unwanted outbursts. I’m not telling anyone to just cut off friends, what I am saying is to look at each of your friends and ask yourself if they are truly good friends.
Are they yes men that will just go along with whatever you say? Or are they good people that will actually challenge you on your bad decisions and call you out on your mistakes. There is one question you can ask yourself to truly know if a friend is a good friend. Are you willing to cry in front of this person.
Chances are, if you don’t feel comfortable crying in front of them, they’re not a person you should really be taking advice from. Crying is a way to completely Make yourself vulnerable. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this, it doesn’t always mean they are a bad friend, it just means that they may not be the person to take advice from.
I hope none of this comes off as arrogant or preachy, I’m just giving advice for my own life. Thank you for reading

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-07-07 22:11:18

I wouldn't really listen to anything Manny has to say. He's a child wrapped up in an adult's body and knows nothing about anything.

End racism
End division
Become united