2020-07-05 17:00:45

No, I'm on 64 bit win 10 with 16GB of RAm.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-05 17:08:00

@Stefica: It was @Gaki_shonen who must not have been running 64bit. Is Quorum Studio natively compiled for 64bit? Unless it's an easy fix it honestly doesn't seem all that worth it since so few are even running 32bit in the first place, and even those who are can probably either get a 64bit processor if their system is upgradeable, or get a machine 2nd hand (even most budget machines are running 64bit anyhow, so I imagine 32bit is an edge-case at best). BEsides, unless Quorum Studio and the Quorum engine is more lightweight than Sodbeans was, I imagine it would be painful to run the thing under a 32bit environment (this is coming from someone who could barely even get windows 10 to run on 4gb of ram on a former machine, 64bit Pentium core2duo of all things).

2020-07-05 20:56:47

@jack Exactly, that's why we didn't support it so far.

2020-07-05 21:37:49

It's not worth it, I could get a 64-bit based machine for $50.00. Not that I think it would be suitable for development work, but the point being that 64-bit architecture has been around for so long, there's really no reason to support 32-bit anymore.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-05 22:39:27

BEsides. Not compiling natively doesn't allow the program to tap into 64bit's true benefits, and with both advanced and sound graphics involved, all it would help to do would be to stifle the program's progress.

2020-07-06 03:47:53

hmm @stefika what audio engine uses quorum in background?
Openal, direcsound or something similar?

because I follow the spatial audio tutorial, specifically the audio3d section playing with a sound and a cube, and added some basic controls to move the cube inani direction.

The dopler effect sounds... well extrange, but OK, and a basic panning (left / right) deppending the position of the object sounds awesome, and the volume attenuates deppending the distance of the object, and the listener, but I don't dettect ani effect to ear if the object is above, under, front or back of me.

So, and other question; in the tutorial said, that you have an audios3d object, you can directly modify the listener properties accessing from the audio3d Object, but... In the case that you have a big map. with a camera and your player, with various  sounds that you can ear at the time.
You have the update the listener in all audio3d objects?

Or exist a global listener that is attached to a camera that you can update, and all activated audios can use it.

Thanks, waiting to the 10th to test the scene dessigner!

2020-07-06 04:34:39 (edited by alisson 2020-07-06 04:36:41)

hi!
Hey @stefika i'm have the same question as @sanslash332. And one more question. How I can change to the beta version? the release note says something abouth change to te beta flag in the preference file. I found the file, its the options.json i think, but... where I write the beta flag to participate? I know, i'm a bit anxious
big_smile

Sorry for my english

2020-07-06 05:56:55

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
Right now, nowhere. Judging by the file's existing sintax, I tried
    "beta:", true,
no dice. I assumed the flag would be called that since the released notes mentioned the beta flag in particular. I was initially under the assumption it was a private beta so did not think to look until I saw the release notes mention it specifically.

2020-07-06 19:42:43

Folks,

I'm excited at the interest and will try to answer more questions:

1. Beta flag

I'm super tickled people tried to hack at the JSON to get access, but that feature only works if you've been sent the special beta download. It's also available for any version post 2.0, but I didn't back-port it to 1.1 because it was a complete rewrite of the auto-update system. The beta was made available to people on the quorum mailing list if they asked for it, but has now ended given the release is in just a few days. Folks can feel free to join that here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/quorum-language

2. Backend of audio system

We use OpenAL in the backend and then wrote our own Digital signal processing engine around it.

3. For the question about the Audio3D objects

I'm not totally sure I follow the questions here, but I "think" what you're asking is how you update the properties. The point is that you can either "hook" these objects and move them around the scene, letting the system automatically adjust properties. Or, alternatively, you can set the audio systems properties as you see fit. Or, if you want to go nuts, you can grab the raw audio buffers and tell it to do whatever you want. I hope that answers the right question, but feel free to ask something else.

2020-07-06 20:40:36

Hi, everyone:
First, I want to congratulate the developers of this language for the tutorials. They, so far anyway, explain coding as well as in any language I've tried. I'm talking C, BGT, whatever. Now for my retarded question. When I launch the .exe of Quorum it doesn't do anything. When I try the jar file, it says it can't find quorum.main and something about Java Virtual Machine. Thoughts?

Who we are is God's gift to us. Who we become is our gift to God.

2020-07-06 20:58:48

Stefika wrote:

I'm super tickled people tried to hack at the JSON to get access, but that feature only works if you've been sent the special beta download. It's also available for any version post 2.0, but I didn't back-port it to 1.1 because it was a complete rewrite of the auto-update system. The beta was made available to people on the quorum mailing list if they asked for it, but has now ended

No problem, that's what I thought.

2020-07-07 22:36:40

Singing Butterfly,

Hmm, the java virtual machine is bundled with quorum studio, so you shouldn't have to do anything special to have it load. Can you post the exact command you are issuing and the error message you are getting?

2020-07-08 16:06:17

stefika wrote:

Folks,

... a few days. Folks can feel free to join that here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/quorum-language

I go to that page, and get the following:

You do not have permission to access this content. (#418)

Are you sure that's the right URL? I'm using Chrome, and I'm logged into my Google account.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-07-09 05:48:51

Hi.
Are there audio tutorials?
Also, I know we have networking, but is it possible to do things like scoreboards in audio games or maybe even make an online game?

Contact Discord Telegram Threema Signal Facebook Mastodon
PSN ID, Rich_Beardsley

2020-07-09 11:07:35

this sintax is a little bit... not what i am use to, but i will give this a shot when it is released. last time i used the IDE, it was slow.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-07-09 16:35:04

@39
If there's networking, there's multiplayer. It's just a case of making it work for you. Same with Scoreboards.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-07-09 17:24:44

So, a lot of us beginning developers are turning to Python. As an Emacs user, I do like that there is a mode for Python. How does Quorum compare to Python? I mean, Quorum is based on Java, which has a reputation for being slow and unwieldy, right? I mean, why would a blind person learning to program learn Quorum over a mainstream language like Python, used on many projects for the blind, by the blind like NVDA and Orca?

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-07-10 17:07:33

Devinprater: Java isn't that slow. IT might be since so many java applications are still 32bit, but this is 64bit only. A lot of Android is java-driven. The new webgames in java/node.js and electron run smoothly. Java is fast if you make it so.

2020-07-11 08:40:40

OK! tested the new version and is interesting, really interesting how is the first aproach smile

Specially various things are great smile

But, some suggestions; is possible add a painting feature for a keyboard?

For example is tedious if you want create all the ground of your level, pushing enter over all the grid that you want to use for your design; maybe a option to set starting and ending points, and after press a key, all the space between these selected points are filled with the selected tile or object.

And I don't know if is a bug, or I can't manaje it correctly; i've set two tiles at the same location, but i can't select one or other using tab. on the grid view the tab key doesn't nothing.

Other suggestion, if it possible on the scene tab, give the option for collapse or sort the items on categories, similar the palete tab. For example if you have a complete level with ground tiles; platforms, objects, characters and enemies, will be a giant three and find something on that will be a nightmare; specially if you have 100x100 grounds tiles... well, so large item three xd.

And that for now; I can't test something more smile

Thanks for the effort!

2020-07-12 12:21:03

Hi!
I downloaded and installed Quorum Studio 2.0, but when I launch the app nothing at all happens. No error message even. To be frank, it's hard to trust an IDE if it can't even give a reason why it won't launch. Epic fail.
Best,
EG

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2020-07-12 13:30:44

Um, lol, didn't it open? Weirdy there.
I have a question, not about the scene thing but about the game itself. Where can I learn how to code in this? It looks amazing and I am really really interested on grasping the concepts of this language. But, when I search on help, it reflects no manual actually so yeah.
I am still learning pure basic, but this one seems worth it.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2020-07-12 14:35:58

Hi again.
Sorry for double posting. So, I just found the tutorials on the web page, but I can't really seem to run my code. It just says it was built, or ran, but I don't get the actual result. What can I do?
Thanks.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2020-07-13 07:21:24

@john_weed what are you trying to do?

A console example, or directly a game example including a window.

smile

2020-07-13 08:30:59

Nope, doesn't open.
Also tried running the executable from the console to see if it generates any messages but nothing.
So what are the software prerequisites, and why doesn't the installer check them?
Best,
EG

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2020-07-13 11:20:30

@EternalGamer,
Do you think you could tell us the Windows version you are using, as well as whether or not your computer runs 32-bit, or 64-bit? If we knew a little more, it would help us pinpoint exactly what is going wrong here.