2020-06-29 02:50:15

@23, sorry, but just because someone knows how to make audio games doesn't mean they necessarily know what they're talking about. In this instance, post 14 was claiming that Python was slow because their slow (poorly-written, I'm guessing) algorithms were slow. That's not a fault of Python. Even if you wrote a poorly-written algorithm in assembly it would be slow. The key takeaway is that development is [not] all about performance and speed -- its also about readability and productivity. You can make something ultra-fast, but in the process you risk making it illegible by anyone but you (and even that's debatable). Even my OS has some places where I sacrificed performance for readability, legibility and productivity. You can balance performance, readability and productivity, but its not easy to do.
@25, we wouldn't be so rude to the OP if the guy hadn't literally admitted that he wanted to take stolen source code and rewrite it in Python to somehow un-steal it. The term Plagiarism, I think, would apply here; yes, its not theft of writing, but plagiarism is generally the theft of someone elses work and claiming it as your own. Even if you modify the work, there's still enough of it to identify it as not yours. The only way to eliminate that is to make it from the beginnings. Also... @14, why weren't you just using tensorflow and other well-developed ML libraries out there? What was your incentive for creating a custom neural network algorithm? If its for educational purposes, wonderful. But that doesn't mean you can use your algorithm as some kind of benchmark. (Side note: do not trust benchmarks for your measurements of speed. Though they can give you general ideas of how fast something is, there are far too many variables to consider for them to be 100-percent reliable. At most I'd say a benchmark is about 50-50.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-06-29 04:21:50

lol 25, arrogance is prevalent in the developer community. But I learned to just brush people off. You do kind of have to have a thick skin to do that sometimes, but that's just the nature of opinionated and somewhat intelligent people. I've hung around worse though.
*cough, physicist and mathematicians* lol
Sometimes, however, I do think there is a kind of annoyance, especially in this community, when people don't take the time to learn and struggle through programming like many of us did.
I think that's what attracted me to programming. Because you can literally see results of your code with some genuine work.
And just because someone worked on something consumed by the public, or worked on this fancy tool to do x and y, that doesn't mean their opinions hold more weight. There just opinions. But you all knew that! At the end of the day, there is always someone who might have more experienced and may know a little more, but they still probably struggled to get there. This is all to say that arrogant programmers, stay away from them! The ones I enjoy working with are the ones who genuinely like passing along knowledge and don't mind being wrong. Good thing my job lets me work with most people who have that mindset.
FYI, people in this community are actually nicer, relatively speaking. Try posting a question like this on Stack Overflow or some experienced dev circles on Reddit.

2020-06-29 06:22:53

@Deffender I just learnt after a while to get used to sometimes snarky answers, but that being said though, sometimes attached to the high-horse reply is a generally pretty decent answer. And there are certain folks like BGT Lover and Magarb, which I'm misspelling, who will always help out folks. Camlorn also does to the best of his ability to help you out as well, don't mind his tendency to give you all the meat and potatoes, but he still helps. In fact, you cant really say folks on this forum doesn't help, yes they may reluctant to simplify terms and practices down for us mortals to understand, but they still help.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-06-29 07:46:36

Yeah so there's the element of this guy saying he's going to work with stolen code, and also the element of him skipping far past his level. Also agreed with 27 in that compared to Stack Overflow this place is tame.

2020-07-01 05:00:55

kaigoku wrote:

FYI, people in this community are actually nicer, relatively speaking. Try posting a question like this on Stack Overflow or some experienced dev circles on Reddit.

and here is proof of that if you ask the right questions, and also their patience is amazing.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…