2020-06-29 23:20:50

Hi. Freenom has finnaly allowed me again to register my world server domain. That means, allong with the 2dp repo and some other stuff, the bgt mirror is back. It holds bgt latest version, bgt1.0(unregistered), an includes package that was downloaded from carters github but which is experimental and all the example games that where on blastbay site before. I may also suggest that you add this to the db because blastbays links are of course down and the agarchive dropped it again.

http://world-server.tk/bgt/

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2020-06-29 23:42:29

Oh great. Hosting a tool that the author himself has asked not to be hosted. *sighs*

2020-06-30 00:11:33

@2: nonsense, he sed that he don't hoste it, didint sed peaple are not allowed to hoste it

2020-06-30 01:45:16

@2 was about to say the same, he said he wont host it and specifically said in the same topic that people can still host it if they want.

2020-06-30 03:16:20

Philip wrote:

Hi all,
After a lot of consideration, I have decided to remove a few things from blastbay.com that I no longer maintain and/or support. BGT has been officially removed, and so has the game Palace Punch-up. I know that a lot of you are still using BGT, and while I am flattered, I do think it is time to move on to other languages and frameworks in order to take audio games to the next level. I debated for a long time whether I should discontinue BGT or attempt to make a new release, but finally concluded that I am just not interested in it anymore and so I would be doing the community a disservice by keeping it around in its current state. I am fully aware that the installer will be hoested elsewhere, and I don't have a problem with that as long as everyone understands that the project is abandoned and unsupported.
On the flip side, I have started releaseing some open source libraries for developers which can be found under "Developer Resources" in the menu. There's not a lot up there yet, but there's more coming for sure.
This decision does not mean that I am shutting down Blastbay Studios. I do have plans for future releases, but I will not go into them at this time. This cleanup was necessary in preparation for what's coming, and I hope you can all understand and appreciate my position and the reasons that lead to this decision.
Thank you!

Yes, he said he knows people will host it but he has also been trying to get it removed from places, see the agarchive. I highly doubt this will make it into the database as again, the tool isn't even recommended by the author himself.

2020-06-30 07:45:53 (edited by Slender 2020-06-30 07:53:17)

The way I read that and judging by Philip's actions, it seems that what he means by that is that he doesn't mind it being posted on a Dropbox link in a forum topic somewhere, but he would prefer it if it wasn't linked to in a large public place, such as the agarchive or audiogames.net database, since that could imply that it's still supported somehow.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2020-06-30 08:01:38

Just wanted to chime in and say that post 6 is absolutely correct. I would like to kindly request that the audiogames.net database not be updated with a permanent download link for BGT.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2020-06-30 08:58:47

at 6. If in audiogames db they say thats not supported, then what?

2020-06-30 17:55:05

Tell that to Pragmma and Aaron Baker. Oh wait, Manamon and pretty much all of his games are paid! More reason to make him take down his games. Let's just remove all traces of this scripting language that helped push the audiogame industry further. Let's deny folks who just want to try out BGT, or BGT sources, because its no longer supported.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-06-30 18:18:45

@9.
lmfaolmfaolmfaolmfao

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2020-06-30 18:34:51

OK, we had a handful of good games on it, but the rest sucked. How is that progressing the audiogames scene? Even the good games had their limits. BGT had its time, that time is over now, so stop holding onto it like it's the last hope of salvation of all of humanity.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-06-30 18:50:29 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-06-30 18:55:22)

Again, tell VGstorm that. Tell Eban Sky that. Tell Pragma that.

I'd like to also say that I'm currently trying to move away from BGT, and I agree its dead and devs should move away from it. But what I don't agree with is Phillip insisting that BGT be removed from all sights perminently. He's trying to errase apart of audiogame history. You may say that most BGT games were shit, but there are shitty video games made in python and those other languages. If Simter, or whoever wants to host it as abandonware that's their choice. Phillip shouldn't demand that people remove it, because at the end of the day, it isn't huring anyone.

_____

2020-06-30 19:30:48

I mean, ***he*** wrote it...

2020-06-30 19:35:20

@13 and yep we should really tell mason to take down sbyw, and tomp hunter, and btw what do you write programs in?

2020-06-30 19:35:26

Umm? Did you not read his message in this very thread?

philip_bennefall wrote:

I would like to kindly request that the audiogames.net database not be updated with a permanent download link for BGT.

It didn't say anything about erasing history. It didn't say that everyone who has a copy of BGT had better damn well delete it from their system effective immediately. He just asked that official sites like this one not host it.

Also, I understand that big projects that are using it will continue to use it, but new ones should not be released on BGT. I don't get why this is such a difficult concept to understand. Why are we bitching about this. There's so much it doesn't do, and yet people continue to want more from an audio game? Ok then, stop using BGT and start using a mainstream language where there are libraries to let you do those things.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-06-30 19:50:49

Okay, two things.

First, everyone forgets that we had plenty of audiogames before BGT.  If BGT hadn't happened we'd have had plenty of audiogames without it.  I would go so far as to say probably the same number of audiogames.  The only people who think BGT is somehow adding a lot of value are very new programmers.  Non-new programmers may use it, but usually with the understanding that it's super limited and that they could move on if they wanted, just they've got all this old code.

Second, let's talk about camlorn_audio to understand why people might want their projects taken down.  Once upon a time I did an audio library called camlorn_audio, for those who weren't around back then.  But it wasn't ever finished, and it couldn't be made to work beyond a certain point.  I gave up on it, left it around for a while because hey, it's an open source project on GitHub, no harm.  No one can really use it because it was my first C++ project and I didn't understand some important fundamentals and OpenALSoft is kind of lame, I told everyone that, but why bother removing it?  Surely no one is going to insist on trying to use the thing that crashes at the drop of a hat without fixing it first, which is so bad that even the author avoids it?

Then I started getting e-mails because it kind of worked except not really, asking me for help using it.  This never happened with Libaudioverse because Libaudioverse could never really be used with BGT or any of the other toy languages people like to adopt, but camlorn_audio got just the right amount of popularity that I think there's even a couple people still using it.  But the problem is that even telling people "sorry, I'm not maintaining this" takes time and gets tiring.  So after round 5 or 10 of "I specifically said this isn't usable"  I did my best to eradicate it from the face of the earth, and I don't regret it.

BGT has bugs.  BGT has a bunch of programmers who would probably love to ask Philip things.  As long as BGT is up, Philip is going to get some volume of people asking questions, or trying to convince him to maintain it.  I don't know if him getting a bunch of requests like that is why he doesn't want it up, but this idea that just leaving projects out there is free to the author is very false.  And it's especially false in a community like this, where you've got a bunch of new programmers who ignore "Don't use this" or "This is unmaintained" like there's no tomorrow, and who think that authors are obliged to never, ever move on just because you want to use it.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-06-30 20:31:38

@16 o how bad, you get 1 email in 1 month or so and maybe some forum posts about an abandoned projects, o my gosh. How bad. And also no i doupt that, languages like py are harder to learn then bgt. In fact the only reason why so much people say that python is so easy because they have learned bgt before or another language and a lot or principes didn't change. I for an example would have never started or took much longer if i didn't found bgt while browsing in the agarchive because booredom.

2020-06-30 21:07:42

It takes energy to keep telling people that you aren't maintaining a thing anymore, and camlorn_audio was much less popular than BGT.  One day you may have a project that's popular enough that you try to leave behind that keeps following you as far as your personal e-mail, until then don't judge.  Or maybe you're the kind of person who doesn't mind just being rude, who will actually ignore them instead of composing a polite reply to the effect of "I stopped maintaining this".  But as usual when I make an unpopular point, people straw man me: I'm not saying "This, specifically, is why people take projects down", I'm giving an example of why leaving projects up isn't without cost to the people who wrote them.  This community has lots of examples of someone abandoning something free and everyone getting outraged about it, even to the point of people trying to revive the game using stolen code, so it's not like that's the only reason someone might want to take something out from orbit.

And to be frank, sighted people have no problem learning all these languages that this community likes to claim are harder.  You can only blame the language or the community, and the language (any of the languages) has literally hundreds of thousands of people proving it's not the language every day.

BGT went like this.  "Yay! BGT!" followed by an army of newbie programmers, most of whom bounced off it, but it felt good because there was a .chm file, you didn't have to learn to use Google, and the tutorials were audiogame specific.  Now people think it's special, because the people who still defend it never learned enough programming to understand why it's objectively bad.  No one put the effort into making anything else mainstream easy, so obviously making something mainstream easy isn't possible and BGT is special.  No one was willing to put in the effort to actually learn programming, just to hammer on the tiny, tiny subset in BGT's .chm, so now anyone arguing against it obviously doesn't have a clue about how important and mystical and powerful it is and why we all need to preserve it forever.

But seriously, look around.  People here make newbie-quality games for 3, 4, 5 years sometimes.  There's also hundreds of thousands of devs proving that you shouldn't be making newbie quality games for that long.  I'm not talking about people using Unity, I'm talking about lots and lots of people who grab HTML or Pygame or SDL in C++ even, and surpass what most audiogame devs can do in 6 months in their free time, plus also they did graphics which is actually a really hard thing to do.  I've got a sighted friend who just went from not knowing how to program 8 months ago, to knowing two programming languages and writing an app for both iOS and Android that has to be able to work offline because it's going to be used in places like the middle of Africa for rather a lot of money.

When you dive into a specialized tool using a specialized language used by no one else this is what happens, because all of the things that could enable you just aren't there.  BGT isn't justifiable, objectively, and the evidence that it actually hurt the community and lowered the quality of audiogames is all around us.  You exhaust what BGT will let you do, then you have to start over if you want to go further, and then either you grind out newbie games forever, be one of the like 5 people who stretch BGT way beyond what it was ever able to do through years of effort, or give up on programming.

As I've said a few times now: we should have had one shades of doom quality game every couple years.  We don't actually have even that.

My Blog

2020-06-30 22:34:17

@18 Oh, manamon2, bgt. And ya know what, even if it is impolite, that is the way to go. If people write you about an abandoned peace of software and  you say requests will be ignored, then these people know 100 percent well that they won't go any where with their request. Look how many projects l-works has in their abandoned section, and they have never wined about to many requests.

2020-07-01 02:28:44

Camlorn Wrote:
"camlorn_audio was much less popular than BGT.  One day you may have a project that's popular enough that you try to leave behind that keeps following you as far as your personal e-mail, until then don't judge."
Simter having a popular project? That's a miracle.

2020-07-01 03:06:03

Maybe it's petty of me to go in with that, but yes I agree lol.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-01 03:32:14

@arvox, I'm sending you a PM.

_____

2020-07-01 04:36:51

If python wasn’t easy to learn, why is this mindset shared by a lot of the people on the Internet? I would go as far as saying that 99.9% of those folks don’t know what BGT is, and yet they still claim that learning python is relatively easy.  Again I ask, why?

2020-07-01 04:54:10

@19
Games are different than programming tools and libraries.  You finish them and they're done.  Being able to finish a programming tool and/or library is doable, but hard and something that rarely happens.

If camlorn_audio had been finished to a stable point then it would still be up, but it wasn't.  In the specific case of that, I had to say "This will randomly crash your app just because" one too many times.  And fine, I'd say good on you for feeling like you can just ignore people when they e-mail you, except that even if we leave aside that that's kind of a dickish move, it's a great way to start chipping away at your reputation if no one can get in touch with you because you didn't like what they had to say (plus, you still have to read it, anyway).

Also, I don't know how good Manaman is or isn't.  Some people like it, it's not my kind of thing.  I've not made the claim that we have zero BGT games either.  All I said is that we should have at least one Shades of Doom quality game every couple years.  We don't.  The time between SoD-or-better game seems to be more like 3 or 4, and for the number of people trying to make games, that's not right.  And I blame BGT for that, probably 50%, the rest being the lack of investment, people not working out things like reusable level editing, etc. that we could solve, if we had enough cohesion to take on projects as a community.

@23
I think Simter is just angry at this point, that we're taking their favorite toy away from them with good arguments, or something.  Pretty sure me making the point you're making is what set them off.

My Blog

2020-07-01 14:35:30

@20 and what message you wanted to bring us wiwth that post, i don't get it, it only sounds like you where trying to start a fire but not with me.
@24 the only one who is missing arguments here is you. You are wining about developer basics and how spoiled you are when it comes to game quality, and the rest is babling and repeat button. In fact, if i really had to i could go without bgt, i have python. The only exception is networking while  i try to get used to sockets and am playing with the code of americranians network wrapper. How ever first i like bgt more and second every one should have the choice what he wants to use.