2020-06-14 11:56:44

Hi,

I'm currently using a french press to make coffee and wanted to try out some other preparation methods such as aeropress, pourover, espresso etc.

Does anyone have any experiences with any of these?

After some initial research, it seems that the way that you pour with a pourover does matter which is something that might be hard if you can't see. For an espresso machine, it seems mostly doable except for if you want to know when to stop the extraction - I've seen that you need to do so based on the colour of the coffee coming out.

2020-06-15 18:59:02

Just got a V60 and a set of hopefully accessible scales, keeping my fingers crossed now. Need to wait for them to arrive to try it.

2020-06-15 19:13:30

you're overcomplicating things, I think. The way I do it I just use a coffee maker with a filter and put it over the stove. Nothing fancy.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2020-06-15 20:00:50

But coffee can be a complicated matter, particularly if you want something fancy and that doesn't taste like it just came out of the instant factory.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-15 20:32:29

Hi.
I do the same as @3 does, I have my own coffee maker. I plug the thingy to the electricity, use a filter, put the coffee over there, water on the top, the little glassy thing under it, and start making it. About pouring it, I tend to put my finger near the edge of the cup, and pour. When it burns and hurts, it means that you've done successfully. Lol!

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2020-06-16 03:20:34

I used to use one of those machines that 5 described above. now i do a french press.  I also ground my own beans every time i make coffee as it tastes better fresh. as for the fancy stuff, I am not so sure about.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2020-06-16 04:50:33

well I have a keurig that's very simple. I get single serve pods and use one at a time to make a cup of coffee. Just put the pod in, press one of the drink size buttons, in about a minute you've got your coffee! Simple as that, I started using a keurig as an alternative to having to brew coffee myself because I could never get it quite right.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2020-06-16 11:10:37

When making espresso, I find it usually works for me to just use a really small glass. Acording to sighted people that tends to work well, only ever making a tiny bit of extra.
I haven't done pour overs, though, so I can't answer any questions about that.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2020-06-16 15:25:29

As I've said before, I use the cafetière,  aka French press myself and am quite happy with it, with an electric kettle it's incredibly easy to make and does generally really good coffee, especially if I grind my own beans, though usually I'm a little too lazy to do that and get them ground in the shop.

When I was staying with my lady's family in the states, they had an electric coffee maker that used the drip and defuse method through filters.
That was more than doable, fill compartment with water, put filter in top, dump coffee grounds in filter, put pot on base, press one button and walk away. It even turned itself off and beeped when it was done.
I will say though, it wasn't quite as nice as making with the cafetière imho.

Then again, I freely admit, I prefer a long, large cup of coffee to a small, intents  espresso myself, since I like to enjoy the flavour as much as the pure caffeine hit.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-06-16 17:49:12

@8 wow do you have an espresso machine? If so could you share your experience about using it, and do you froth your own milk? One of my main goals of doing all this is to eventually be able to make cafe quality espressos, lattes and mochas.

@4 truer words have never been spoken. Right now my morning routine with my french press is not just about getting the drink but also the enjoyment of the process of manually grinding the beans etc.

2020-06-16 18:13:03

Agreed with @4. I'm becoming somewhat of a coffee snob, and I think it's precisely the complexity of preparation, bean roast, fresh grind, etc that interests me. That being said, folks who declare using anything beyond a Keurig or traditional brewer "complicated" are the folks who just want coffee and simply don't care about those complexities. If you're looking for different preparation methods, might I suggest cold brew? Steeping cold brew is actually different from dripping hot water over the grounds. When the hot water saturates the beans, it releases oils and acids that affect the flavor of the coffee. It also decreases the caffeine count as well as the chances of getting heartburn, not to mention it tastes great. I just started this last week, and it's turning out to be a nice, refreshing beverage for the summer time. I pour it over ice, add half and half (half milk half cream) and even put in a shot of Jordan's sugar-free syrup.
Have I convinced you I'm a coffee snob yet?
Some people really go nuts with coffee. You can get machines that act as a coffee shop replacement where it'll make a plethora of drinks for you with varying features like grinding, frothing, etc, all at a very inconvenient price.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2020-06-16 23:41:40

@leibylucw, that is interesting.
I've known for quite a while  that coffee beans denature at 98 degrees, which is why you should never use boiling water and why I'm so careful of using coffee makers that require steam etc, since denaturing the coffee is sure to lead to bitterness, however I didn't know it was possible to brew coffee cold.

I have a rather nice ice coffee jug, complete with liquid insulation,  which I've been using in the summer and is lovely for chill drinks when it's warm, however I've been mostly doing this by making a pot of hot coffee, sticking it in the jug, and then putting the jug in the fridge for 24 hours, or even the freezer for about three hours (believe me, this actually works).

The only pain with making it this way, is the time required.

If however it is possible to make coffee cold, I might well give this a try, since manifestly it takes far less long for something made cold to get to chilled, than for something made quite hot.

How long should I leave the grounds in the cafetière? I usually brew hot coffee for a good five minutes, though I'm guessing making cold would take longer.

I did used to grind my own beans often, and yes, the act of grinding was quite soothing, plus  had the advantage that grinding by hand, I could almost guarantee that the coffee wouldn't be denatured by friction, however, mostly because my grinder blades tended to wear out and replacing/sharpening was very difficult, I got out of the habbit.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-06-17 00:04:00

Cold brew is actually quite simple. All that is required is a container that can hold a tube-like filter, place the grounds inside of the filter, pour water into it, and put in the refrigerator for approximately 18 hours. The "cold-brew machine" I have is just a gallon-sized mason jar with a spigot for easy pouring and a mesh filter that comes with it.
I'm unaware of other methods for cold brew, assuming they exist. The only way I can see getting around the lengthy time of brewing is to have two containers that you'd alternate between, but that's about it. Perhaps Google could turn something up, but I'm afraid if I find yet another appliance, I'll buy it...

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2020-06-17 01:42:55

Cold brewing in the french press is definitely not hard. Pour the grounds in, add water and then put a plate ontop of the french press if your fridge doesn't let you put the french press in wit the plunger up. Leave it for anywhere from 12 to 16 hours then press. After that just pour it into whatever storage container you like. Alternatively, do as @13 says and use a water jug with anything like a filter, I use either cheese cloth or a bag for almond milk. Basically anything that allows the flavour of the beans to infuse into the water. And the longer you leave it, the stronger it will get so for beans that have a more mild flavour I will generally leave it somewhere in the middle for 14 hours since I like a stronger coffee but don't want it to get too bitter.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-06-17 06:31:16 (edited by Dark 2020-06-17 06:32:02)

@assault_freak, thanks for that that makes sense, I'll have to give that a try.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any extra appliances or the like and it's not really warm enough in Britain to require chilled drinks for enough of the year to make getting such much of an investment.

2020-06-17 06:39:57

You don't need appliances. Just the French Press and then a jug into which to pour the cold brew once it's been pressed.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-06-18 16:51:58

I tried making a cold brew once but it didn't go well. A lot of the flavour notes that I liked to taste was gone from the cold brew because it was extracted for too long.

2020-06-18 17:25:54

@10
I do froth my milk, but not with the steamer frothing wand the machine comes with. I make the espresso in the tiny glass, dump it into a mug, then use a milk frother. Basically dump in milk, press button, wait.
I do have and use an espresso machine; it isn't actually mine, but since my dad won it and never uses the thing...
Is there a specific part of the process you'd like me to explain? I'm from what I've been told not the best at doing so, but I am always happy to give it my best shit! smile

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2020-06-19 21:12:59 (edited by Victorious 2020-06-20 07:46:02)

@18

Which model are you using? Also, what are the features of the machine that I should be looking for from an accessibility perspective?

I basically wanted to know in general whether the steps to preparing an espresso are accessible or not. Based on some research and videos that I've watched, it generally involves the following:

1. Fill the tank with water. Preheating the machine so that water is at the right temperature. I gather that having a machine that has an electrical thermostat that is able to do this for you would be useful. I'm not sure how accessible machine controls are going to be though.
2. Grind beans and tamp them, it sounds like this is a way of pressing it down into the brew basket? Then insert the brew basket
3. Pull the shot, running water through the beans into a cup. I've seen guides on using the colour of the water coming out as a way of knowing when to stop the process so this part sounds inaccessible. But I've also seen that you can stop the process after a preset amount of time and weighing the amount of coffee to know how much was made.

Do any of these steps cause any difficulty accessibility wise?

If you use a set of kitchen scales to measure out beans and coffee, which model do you use?

Regarding frothing, is the frother a separate machine that you just pour milk in and it froths it for you?

Finally, I've also heard that it could get messy. I've not used an espresso machine before but it sounds like coffee / beans could go all over the place somehow and create a mess in the kitchen if not done right?

2020-06-19 21:37:45

Well let me tell you how i prepare my coffee. It's a realy meticulous process involving cooperation of every person around me in the house. So the way that I make coffee is that I simply
Ask someone to make it for me!
Lol!
I don't know about these coffees that you guys are talking about, because the way in my family it's done is that they use some utensil on the stove, add milk and coffee and sugar and whatever, and heat it up, and after some time, may be there's a visual indication, the coffee is ready.

2020-06-20 00:02:59

i use the Tassimo coffee maker myself, i find the coffee very good as i do like my coffee to have a good amount of taste to it, i can't stand instant cofffee

2020-06-20 01:45:53

I use a french press to make my cold coffee, and speaking of wich, i gotta make some right now. lol.  I also have used almond milk and oat mill instead of water to make my cold press.  The ending results remind me of a cold fancy drink. its best with chocolate oat milk or almond.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2020-06-26 19:54:01

I just got a V60 brewer. Unfortunately it is pretty inaccessible because it requiring pouring hot water in a circular pattern for even extraction and also requires making sure that you aren't pouring too fast or slow.

I suspect its possible to get better at this through trial and error and muscle memory.