2020-06-05 19:25:41 (edited by wlomas 2020-06-05 19:27:00)

hi all
Sight and Sound, here in the UK have, until 31 June 2020 offers running on the "offers" section of their webpage

Www.sightandsound.co.uk
amazing offers on JAWS. You can buy a full JAWS home 2020 licence for 115 british pounds (the download version)!! for 190 gbp, i upgraded my jaws from 2017 to 2020 and added a 2 upgrade SMA!!! The SMA costs 95 gbp. check it out.

2020-06-05 20:31:10

i have a better offer wich costs 0.0 credits
its called n v d a

2020-06-05 20:35:28

PR stunts.
Big meh.

2020-06-05 20:46:17

If this price was permanent from freedom scientific, I might consider giving it a try, but the last thing I want is an x hundred quid bill in eighteen months when I need to upgrade the thing to keep up with windows and the internet.

Really, when are fs going to just drop the bloody price already?

Besides, I already spent my screen reader budget donating to NVDA.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-06-05 20:58:27

meh, nvda is far better
oh and if you have munny to spend dont spend them on joz, instead support nv access with them

2020-06-05 21:10:34

I totally agree with you guys there. Although I will say that I have friends who believe it or not have never heard of NVDA. Even when some, if not all of them do, because its inferior. The perception in there mind, is that if something is free, it can't last for very long which would normally be true for some things but in this case this is a donation bast product. You can donate to NVDA which I say is a good thing. If NVDA, on the other hand, didn't have a way to donate money, it would disappear but since it has ways of donating it can stay afloat. I think also in their minds they think paid is always better.

2020-06-05 21:16:06

Oops I meant that when some of them have heard of it they assume its incomplete and inferior.

2020-06-05 21:43:36

Lol, we get it, NVDA is awesome. I hold this view myself. We also know that JAWS is overpriced, this is not news. Unfortunately, some people actually do need to use JAWS for their employment, so piling it on about how NVDA is the cat's meow is kind of annoying at this point.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-06-05 21:48:23

Hi.

@turtlepower I get where you're coming from but fredom scientific or whatever they're calling themselves these days make JAWS so over priced it's not wort hit unless you must use it for something. In my opinion there's not much NVDA can't do anymore.

I'd check this out, I do think JAWS has more customiseability but like dark said, I don't want to pay a huge price to update the SMA just for a little feature.

If JAWS comes out with something ground breaking; I'll chek it out but for now I'll stick with NVDA and Narrator.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-06-05 22:53:38

Fs is bleh. I would donate to the devs of NVDA instead.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-06-05 23:12:42

Again, if freedom scientific straight out dropped the price to 100 dollars, plus 100 dollars per upgrade, not on some sort of special Americans only system, not on some tempoerary promo to one of their redistributors which has no guarantee to last, but a straight  out "this is what you pay", I would be glad to give Jaws a try, and would probably find something I liked in Jaws enough to warrant paying that price for it.

This I'm afraid is the point I was trying to make.
Unfortunately, it seems Freedom scientific's answer to losing so many users to NVDA and all the many criticisms of inflated price, are to do these silly faux generous offers, whilst not actually changing their thinking that in 2020 a screen reading program should cost more than a user's entire desktop, ---- hell you could probably get two reasonably good desktops for the thousand dollars or so which is Jfw's usual price.

@turtlepower any employer who insists their employyees use Jaws should be footing the bill, or at least, having access to work or other such agencies foot it for them, though this is likely where the inflated Jaws monopoly started in the first place, though I am wondering how long it'll take before such agencies realise they're being taken for a ride.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-06-05 23:18:11

With the nature of Windows 10 paying for upgrades is also stupid imo.
It's cool to see open source software defying the narrative a lot of people that don't support it, or just free stuff in general. Problem is as with any corporation they're gonna drag it out to the bitter end.
The reality is many people are willing to donate to projects like NVDA if they feel that they offer a benefit to a community and enables people who can't otherwise to do things without emptying their bank accounts.
This is a concept that so many people fail to understand and it drives me fucking crazy.
Speaking of which, one of these days, I'm going to make a donation to NV Access god damn it.

2020-06-05 23:26:03

I suggest bringing these things up on the FS Open Line. They may give you an answer that you don't want to hear, but at least it'll be out there. smile

2020-06-05 23:38:22

Hello. I agree with you. They have defiantly had some customers on there asking about this. There was one person in India who wanted to take advantage of the offer and the guy told her she couldn't as she wasn't in the US. She also said when she called her dealer in India, about the Home annual licence, They told her to go direct to FS. Another  person from England asked about it, and they told them that the dealers will have to be the ones that would have to distribute the home annual licences outside of the US because they don't allow direct purchases outside of the US.

2020-06-05 23:50:20

Meh, not worth it. As others have said if fs dropped their price for everyone, not∅ just, favorite countries as it were, I might, consider it, as it stands? No thanks. Lol when my College asked which screenreader they should get for their pcs, I said nvda.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-06-05 23:51:31 (edited by Dark 2020-06-06 00:28:12)

Unfortunately, JFw's fitness or not as a screen reader aside, the more I hear of fs's business practices, the less i actually want to support them as a company anyway.

2020-06-06 00:16:03

@ dark, so do I. The more I know about their ways of doing Business, the more disgusted with them I get.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-06-06 00:37:07

Hi.

@dark, I totally agree with you.

FS or whatever they're calling themselves now isn't worth it.

As others said, I learnt about the JAWS offer then realised that isn't only availible in the US, now there's one in the UK; I'm not interested at all.

NVDA is much better with its, you can all download this and try it mentality.

I can't see JAWS lasting another 10 years, old JAWS users may cling on to their way of doing things for a while but it wouldn't surprise me at all if 99 percent of blind people move to NVDA or another free screen reader, perhaps narrator? In about 5 or so years.

2020-06-06 00:58:31

Jaws is bloated also, and in my experience slower than NVDA, meanwhile NVDA is what, 50 mb? And you can just save everything to  a flash drive, load it up on a new machine, and just install everything including add-ons in less than 2 minutes?
Jaws is done. I'm sure business will continue purchasing it just because they're told to by people with interest or that have FS in their pockets, but NVDA is going to be the difacto screen reader for everyone soon.

2020-06-06 01:30:14

and Jaws will make my computer run like shit even I have a dule zeon system that is not a sloutch when it comes to the computers I have and this thing runs so much better with NVDA even with all of the stuff I do Jaws will not be able to keep up.

2020-06-06 01:58:38

actually they do this offer every year at this time so if you buy it you can get your SMA in 2 years cheep as well.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2020-06-06 01:58:57 (edited by defender 2020-06-06 02:13:29)

It's disturbing to me how many people say JAWS isn't better than NVDA at anything or that NVDA is almost as good as JAWS.
If all you do is browse the internet, do basic word processing, and play games, NVDA is great.  For work or school I would always suggest JAWS, and there are allot of things I don't like about it just like everyone else, but I still can't deny it simply because FS is a shitty company.
I could make a long list of useful things JAWS can do that NVDA can't, but instead I will just say, Learn how to use the damn thing before you say it sucks.  If you don't even know 50% of what it can do, than of course you wouldn't think you need it.
I can promise you though that some of the things you just accept as impossible or hard to use with NVDA could be done with JAWS if you bothered to educate your self on it's less talked about features, and of course I would say the same thing about NVDA or narrator too.

2020-06-06 02:09:57 (edited by Aron Leppik 2020-06-06 02:10:22)

I do everything with NVDA except use ms word and excel. That's, litterly why I have the jaws 19 demo on this system.
But fs is still bleh and my Focus display sucks.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-06-06 02:17:25

Hi.

@defender, I've been using JAWS for more than 10 years and can say without a doubt, I'd use NVDA if i had a job over JAWS. Yes NVDA can be laggy but JAWS can be too.

NVDA can work with microsoft products, just as wel as JAWS can now, including XL.

NVDA is smaller and doesn't fill your system if crap you don't need.

Jaws is more mustomisable but even that's going to change with more and more updates to NVDA.

I do like JAWS's research it feature but I don't need it and can just use the internet.

I don't know anything about JAWS OCR but I'd assume it's using windows 10 OCR in which case it would be just as good as NVDA.

With all that said; JAWS was amazing once, it's not anymore for me and quite a few others.

2020-06-06 02:20:10

Hi.

@Aron, have you tried the latest version of XL and word with the latest NVDA? It should work fine. I'll admit I tried a slightly older version of word and xl but word and xl worked fine for me, I din't do any complicated stuff with XL but was able to use equals to get into the form box and write out some formulars.