2020-05-22 12:43:59

Hi,
So me and zarvox have been using BT sync for like 4 years now, and it's really beginning to show it's age. Our problem is that we already have 6 or 7 users connected to a folder we are hosting, and certain people keep reintroducing deleted files or making conflicts without them knowing it. Also, Zarvox wants to have a size limit that covers all the folders he is syncing, some of which total over 50GB.
So this means Dropbox and Google drive, and any other cloud storage option, especially one that doesn't integrate with Windows explorer, is out of the question. I would prefer a peer to peer connection be established without running through some kind of central thing first.
A while back, we tried Syncthing, but the problem is the way Zarvox makes his folder tree is that every folder inside the rout has it's own key. So if he had to make 50 keys all over again, that would be a nightmare. But something close to Syncthing, is what we're really looking for. Maybe it will just have to come down to Syncthing in the end anyway, with it's user and key authentication stuff...
We also considered a network drive or FTP, but the thing with that is, Zarvox, or whoever is hosting it, has to keep their computer on at all times just so you can access the folder's contents. That isn't a problem if we can get it to work, especially as some kind of backup solution.
So, if there is anything you can suggest, please let us know. I feel like we should have moved to something else much earlier...
Thanks for reading.

2020-05-23 19:49:20

Try Resilio Sync.

Wanna chat? Hit me up on Telegram – it's the best way! Discord works too if you catch me there (StormProductions). If all else fails, just drop me an email at [email protected]. You’ve got options!

2020-05-23 20:17:52

Maybe PCloud?  It mounts a virtual drive.

2020-05-23 20:49:43

Why are people still using BT Sync? This sis something i'm genuinely curious about because it's not even a real downgrade in usability in any way to get Resilio.

2020-05-23 22:18:37

Yeah, Resilio is accessible and keeps track of the keys if you still have them.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-05-23 23:35:10

We have resilio too. But you still run into .!sync file problems

2020-05-24 00:11:36

I know my main turn off with Resilio were the fact that it started showing adds and behaving much like the u-torrent client.  That coupled with the whole you can get more if you pay just didn't impress me in comparison with the btsync client and how quick, efficient and smooth the setup/overall process of transfering and syncing files is, was, and always has been.  No, I don't have all the bells and whistles Resilio has to offer such as being able to opt out of various files or folders or whatever, but I don't need them either.  I'd rather keep it free and as close to the original principle.  My take on it is that if I want to sync a folder, chances are I want everything in that folder, so it really doesn't matter if their are sus or sub-subs inside those subs or whatever.  I want it all anyway.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-05-24 13:35:54

I would try syncthing. Or rsync if your on a linux box.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2020-05-24 19:04:38

Well of course you're going to have sync problems. That's with anything though. No one program will be perfect

Contact Discord Telegram Threema Signal Facebook Mastodon
PSN ID, Rich_Beardsley

2020-05-24 22:43:20

Well if you paid for a server you wouldn't have this problem of having to leave a computer on. You get what you pay for as they say.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-05-25 00:03:34 (edited by Zarvox 2020-05-25 00:04:23)

yeah I know, free is very limited. It works, it is just frustrating to fix conflict files and when someone's device keeps reverting files to older versions. I think the best thing at that point is to ask them to delete the folder on there end and resync it. Also the bt sync we are using has 77 keys inside of it so people can choose to only sync specific parts. And yes, I am crazy enough to manage that much. One day when I have a good enough use to get a server, I will upgrade our experience