2020-05-19 06:13:24

Hi,
This problem started a few days ago. I was going to join a meeting on google meet but as soon as I reached that page, NVDA stopped speaking. When I joined the call, I could only hear whatever people were saying and not my screen reader. Is there any solution to this? Even JAWS wouldn't work.
I even tried desconnecting and connecting again. When I closed that page on which the meeting was going on, I was able to hear the screen reader again.
One last thing, while on the call, I tried playing some music, I didn't even hear that.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2020-05-19 07:24:06 (edited by Kitsune 2020-05-19 07:24:57)

that's easy.
1. go to control panel>sound
2. go to the communications tab, and set the thing to do nothing.
hth

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2020-05-19 12:20:25

Hi,
@2, I tried what you did but when I opened my meeting page , it happened again. But as soon as I closed it, NVDA started to speak. Is it something specific to my system or that site?

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore

2020-05-19 12:27:52

@vaibhavbhandari, Try checking what output devices each use. For NVDA, press CTRL+caps+s, and and mmsys.cpl in the run dialogue and press enter.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-05-19 12:30:09

Hi. I think it is system specific, because I had the same problem on skype and Discord. I also found that while on a call, if I changed my output device in NVDA settings, it solves the problem temporarily.

Ask, and you will receive.
Seek, and you will find.
Knock, And the door will be opened for you
Mat. 7:7

2020-05-19 12:33:28

The problem is with the headphones's mic, you have to set your default mic to internal or usb, NVDA to headphones stereo and everything else also to stereo.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-05-19 17:18:11

Hi,
In my NVDA synthesisers' section, my output device is microsoft sound mapper. However, when I typed mmsys.cpl in the run dialogue and checked the sound devices there, it showed three of them including the speaker.
While using my bluetooth headphones, there were two names being showed: one with the name headset infinity glide 500 stereo and the other headphones infinity glide 500 stereo. The headset is set as my default communications device whereas the headphones is set as my default device.

2020-05-19 21:26:09

Set your internal as your comunication device, stuff beying set to the headset makes NVDA go away.
Also, NVDA has under that sound mapper thing headphones, set it to that also.
Same with other apps that support it.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-05-20 00:12:45

That one annoyed me for a long time, but i found the solution. Keep in mind you won't be able to use your headphone handsfree phone functions after this, but if you are like me and do not need them, do the following.
1. Control panel.
2. Devices and printers, search for something like that. Don't have an english win10 locale, sorry.
3. Find your headphones there, enter properties.
4. Go to services tab, find and uncheck something called telephony, or related to phones. Do not uncheck the audio receiver or remote control if you want to preserve media control with your headphone keys.
5. Done! forgot to remind, this works for bluetooth headphones only, and i think can't work with wired. But wired also shouldn't have this problem. Didn't test on headphones which have there own receiver USB module.
HTH.

2020-05-20 06:28:06 (edited by vaibhavbhandari 2020-05-20 06:30:50)

@9, Your suggestion worked. The problem has stopped now.
Thanks for the help you all! smile

2020-05-20 07:13:26 (edited by Jod 2020-05-20 07:14:14)

Do what @2 said, but also
Set your headphones as the default device in sound settings then restart your NVDA, it should be fixed.