2020-05-01 00:03:07

Absolutely, man. I'm definitely not a fan of the web interface and do 97 percent of all browsing with the apollo app on my phone. The website is kind of weird and my screenreader focus seems to bounce around a lot and it is annoying.
Having a desktop app would be great and pretty convenient for me, and I'd actually planned on writing one myself once I learned enough python.
  I sort of envisioned a TW Blue-like layout, a treeview with your home feed at the top and all the subs you're subscribed to underneath. I kind of imagined a list of posts which would have the usual save, upvote/downvote, reply, etc as things you could tab to and to view the post and its comments I thought about another treeview with expandable and collapsable levels, because sometimes I like reading top level comments only and hate having to sift through 500 replies.
  Those were just my notes I wrote down when I thought of doing this, but that would be my idea of a great desktop client... for windows, at least. Even if it looks nothing like that, I'd still take anything you got. Rock on, bro.

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2020-05-01 00:52:13

@26: Personally I'd prefer the upvote/downvote/what have you to be in a right click menu as that seems faster than tabbing back and forth, but the rest of your idea sounds more or less how I'd also set it up if I knew how.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2020-05-01 01:10:07

Yes please. And +1 to the suggestion of keyboard shortcuts with an optionally invisible interface.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-05-01 05:24:53

Do it please!

Cristian.

2020-05-01 07:22:59

I'd honestly be fine with that even if I don't really use reddit much.

Also, does the reddit API allow the chat feature, or is that web only? I know that many reddit apps don't have that feature for some reason.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2020-05-01 10:08:51

Hi,
I'm not a fan of the reddit site by any means, but it is at least usable. Still, I would love, love love love a desktop client. It would be so much quicker and less clunky than the website. I for one hope you continue this.

2020-05-01 11:20:56

Hi.

Thanks for the surprising interest in this.
I will start work on it today, and I should (most likely) have an alpha ready in the next couple of days.

For those wanting to donate (at some point), that would be very welcome. That would allow me to dedicate more of my time to this project then I would otherwise be able to.
If you want to donate at some point, you can go here (PayPal) or here (Accessiware).
PS: Donations are totally optional, but very welcome.
PPS: I know and understand, that most people don't want to donate to an app, that doesn't even exist yet.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2020-05-01 11:27:38

@32 That sounds like great news, can't wait to try out the alpha.

2020-05-01 15:08:18

Hi.

If there's a beta, I'll check it out.

If you need my email it's bradleybrown2'live.co.uk

I'll donate to help the project along.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-05-01 15:19:02

Hi.

@NicklasMCHD, i hope the donations help.

Don't worry if you can't get the ap to work because of reddits guidelines or something, if that's the case; just enjoy the cash smile

2020-05-01 16:35:03

Hi @brad. Thanks for the donation. Following reddits guidelines shouldn't be a problem big_smile

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2020-05-01 22:24:12

Hi again, (Sorry for the dobbelpost).

A little status for my reddit app prototype.

Current features:
* Possibility to authorize multiple reddit accounts (and remove them at a later stage).
* retrieves subreddits that the account in question are subscribed to.
* Show detailed account information, when the accounts username is clicked.
* When post title (in subreddit) is clicked, it shows the post body along with comments and replies in a tree view.

Features to come before first alpha:
* Show upvote / downvote count and comment count without clicking on a post.
* Be able to upvote, downvote and comment (and retract your vote)
* Be able to delete your reply on a post.
* Compose and publish a post on a subreddit.
* Be able to unsubscribe from a subreddit.

I know that there is a lot of features missing from the above, but I feel that these features are the most important, and other features will be coming a t alater stage.

2020-05-01 23:24:13

Hi,

this sounds awesome, I've been waiting for something like this for a long time now. Thanks for doing this!

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2020-05-02 00:27:25

Hi.

@someone commNicklasMCHD, the ability to be notified when someone comments on your stuff would be great too.

2020-05-02 00:51:14

Sure, as long as it isn't Electron. Lol. If it's going to behave like a webpage anyway there's no point. Might as well just use a browser.

2020-05-02 03:45:07

I'm not sure will you be able to make this, but I quite like the single-letter hotkeys on the website, like a / z for upvoting and downvoting, c for commenting, and so on. Could you have something like that while at the same time having all posts in the list?

2020-05-02 06:40:11

this is awesome! I'd love to be able to use reddit with a desktop app. Keep up the great work.

:)

2020-05-02 07:59:41

@1, desktop is always better than a browser.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-05-04 01:14:46

this looks like it's coming along great

2020-05-04 01:24:43

I really like that idea!

73 Wj3u

2020-05-04 02:43:17

Is there a beta we can sign up to test?

2020-05-04 17:44:49

lol @46 it's kinda funny how people like these already jump on him and asking for betatesting when there is not even a product to test. He said that the alpha isn't ready yet. I'm sure he'll ask for beta testers if he's ready

kind regards and have a nice day,
marro

2020-05-04 17:54:33

I Was JUST ASKING IF THERE WAS ANY WAY TO SIGN UP FOR WHEN THE BETA BECOMES AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS THAT A CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2020-05-04 18:12:59

When / if there will be a beta, it will most likely be an open beta.
Note, that it could be subject to change, I haven't really thought about a beta or anything like it yet (since there's not really an alpha yet).

2020-05-05 01:35:15

I'd love this! I'd use reddit a lot more than I do now, because I'm on the computer a lot, and can type more there too. And we don't know if Dystopia will ever even be released, lol. It's been in beta for like, quite a while, and time is ticking down for it to be renewed before it stops working due to no updates.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me