2020-04-27 23:38:27

@50: Nope. Many posts here are horribly spelled and I don't remember which ones now. That's why I didn't single out one person.

I'd like to add to your last post in addition to what you've written, the tax credit used to be a mere $200 USD. Within the last three years, that has vanished also. My tax bill for 2019 was well over $3,000, so no, to whoever said we pay much less than nondisabled people, I don't see it. By the way, this is how much I owed *after* my standard payroll tax. I stopped counting but I've most likely paid over 10 grand in taxes for 2019 alone. So as other disabled people will tell you, we don't get tax breaks here.

2020-04-27 23:43:47

well, I was able to claim it just fine, it is a 1600 or so deduction, and you answer yes to are you blind question? If you are married, it is lowered by 300 or so. You also lose that if you itimize your return rather than take the standard deduction.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-04-27 23:49:01

@50
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.  As I said I think that current politicians are money-to-the-rich types.  But like many, I must say that I think you are failing to understand two important factors.

First, I'm glad that you're fortunate enough to have overcome blindness and to be employed etc.  I have too.  But most haven't, and in all honesty most won't.  And if you go blind later, you aren't going to be able to just go back to your old profession without years and years of rehab at best, and at worst you're never going to recover from it.  It's not like people *want* to sit at home on SSDI, but when the choice is between making minimum wage or less at some shitty job that the rehab agency got you, quite possibly working in the rehab agency, or being on SSDI and having a life, I know which I'd choose, and even if I chose employment I'd still be looking at using it for 5 to 10 years minimum to get to that point.  At the end of the day most blind people will end up on benefits at some point in their lives, and a really, really large percent will stay there for lack of good options to do otherwise.  Though beside the point, I personally believe in a universal basic income, so I don't see any moral problem with that--safety nets should be there for a reason, and though we like to tell ourselves otherwise, blindness is honestly a hell of a reason.

Second, no level of tax penalties to the rich are going to satisfy you because the nature of percent gains is that the rich will always win.  You can raise the taxes on the rich all you want, but you'll still be living in a world where the rich seemingly get a bunch of tax breaks that you don't have by investing in things that give you a percent return instead of a flat salary.  In all honesty I'd be willing to bet most rich people don't care about whether you decide to tax the rich, because anything short of "we the government hereby declare that you aren't allowed to have over a million dollars" or something will still make the investments return percents instead of fixed dollars, and as long as you have that your growth is exponential.

And once you've done that you quickly find out that the amount of money you can extract from the rich is still way, way too little to do all the things people think it'll let us do.  Will it help sure, but there's hundreds and hundreds of times more money to be had by figuring out better tax structures for the rest of us, or reallocating things, or etc.

If someone came out tomorrow and said "I am the magic king of taxes and I will now be taxing the rich an extra 40% a year" or something I'd be for it.  But it'd get us one of the enumerable projects we might want to use the money for.  It's an improvement.  But the rich are still basically the same amount of rich afterwords, we've only got the one project of many, and frankly to some extent all that did is redirect money from charities to the government who will redistribute it, possibly to do less good less efficiently than those charities.  So I don't think it's so clear cut as all that, just throwing some extra taxes on it, because to some extent you're just saying that you're going to redistribute money from people like the Gates Foundation or fighting malaria or whatever to the government under the hope that the government can do better.  I land on the side of taxing the rich, sure, and some years ago I was as vehemently for it as you, but when you look into it it just isn't really solving anything much in the grand scheme.  There's a hell of a lot of other inefficiencies you could tackle, like making it easier to get drugs approved, or making it possible for doctors to function without having to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for liability insurance per year each, or doing government-sponsored healthcare, or reforming copyright and patent law to stop giant monopolies like the drug companies from existing, or I could go on for a while.

I'm not saying that I think we efficiently allocate tax money.  I'm not saying that you don't have the right to be mad that things like scholarships can get taxed.  I'm not saying that you should be taxed for living in the U.S. as  a noncitizen, or that as a citizen you should be taxed if you're not contributing to the U.S. economy, or anything else along those lines.  I don't even know for sure what my opinion is on all those issues.  I'm only saying that you're blaming the wrong thing for the wealth disparity

What I blame is this: we didn't tie the minimum wage to inflation, we didn't keep the real estate market under control, we didn't keep the healthcare market under control.  My father was able to get a giant house with a yard nearish downtown on the salary of a teacher in the early 90s.  Nowadays an apartment costs what their mortgage did, roughly.  We went from 10% to 20% of your money being spent on housing to 30+%.  Medical care costs have been rising exponentially for the last 20 years.  Lots of things have been rising exponentially along with it.  The rich don't get ahead by being taxed less, they get ahead by managing to save enough money that the annual return from their investments can make up for the frankly horrid conditions of the U.S. economy.  All you need to be wealthy by modern standards when you retire--a couple million dollars in other words--is $10000 a year starting around the time you're 18.  That used to be somewhat manageable.  Now it's not.  But taxes isn't what changed.  What changed is, I don't really have a better summary than runaway capitalism and us becoming okay with runaway capitalism, but that's not quite exactly the thing that I see there.  It's hard to put into words.

And, personally, I think we were at a breaking point before this.  The youngest generations have realized they're fucked over by this kind of stuff and that climate change and such are coming right behind it and it's kind of a ticking time bomb, in that the only thing really keeping things as they are is that most of those people are too young to vote still.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-04-28 00:26:32

53, A few things.
I didn't overcome my blindness. That phrase is used so much I have no idea it means anymore. Does my blindness not exist now because I get a job? I would say absolutely not. I think   battling or fighting with blindness is a more accurate term, as it is an ongoing process. I never thought that blind people collecting SSI and SSDI  are people being lazy or anything. I really think blindness is one of the top 5 most severe disabilities one can be born with or acquire, and any disability coming on top of blindness shrinks it into the top  3 easily, and I am glad the system appears to recognize that. When  faced with a choice with minimum wage rehab and benefits, I probably would take the benefits too, like you would. There is a third option, take the benefits, and move abroad where they will be worth more, and you can still get them that way.
As for the rich, I am not implying that taxing more  will magically make the situation disappear overnight or it will solve other problems. It will however, raise substantially more money for the government, allow a single payer healthcare system, a stronger social safety net, hopefully! better pandemic preparidness,  infrastructure developments and improvements etc. And they should own probably less wealth they would now if those rates were raised. This isn't about taking away peoples' wealth, it is demanding that people contribute to society the way they are most able. Moreover, I agree with the need for a better healthcare system, am mostly in favor of single payer, but this means more taxes too, even though a majority of the middle class and lower income groups will save more. So even though it wouldn't stop the rich from being rich, higher percentages and closing tax loopholes would allow  possibly better healthcare infrastructure etc. But if you see the OECD average for income tax,   you will see the US is much lower down in the scale than most of the developed countries there. Finally,  taxing noncitizens in the States, and taxing citizens outside the states  is very clearly theft. in the first instance noncitezens pay payroll taxes even though they will never be eligible for the benefits. In the second instance, you are taxing a person even though they don't reside in the country, and moreover on top of  any taxes that country might impose. This type of person pays taxes solely by virtue of being a citizen with very little to no benefit to themselves, at a significant time and monitary expense, as foreign taxes can quickly get very complex.  Moreover due to the reporting requirements for foreign banks, many in Europe are flat out refusing to do business with citizens in order to not have to deal with the IRS.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-04-28 00:43:13

Honestly it just disappoints me to see the insults thrown from both sides of the political line. I understand that you don't agree with certain things (like what Trump says/does, or the left's response to it), but saying "go screw yourself" is never the option.
I do admit that I probably lean more right than left, but I'd like to consider myself mostly in the center. However, the pure vitriol and slander from both sides (and indirectly shown by that posts in this topic) just saddens me. I understand that what some of you think Trump is doing is wrong, but jumping on every "wrong" thing that you believe he says and dragging him through the ground is below human decency. And same to the Alt right. Saying ignorant things about how the economy should come first is seriously saddening, as it is the people who drive the economy. If you think about it, the more people die, the less people you would have to sell to.
I wish, especially now, that people could just stop bickering along political lines like little children. It's honestly depressing how this situation has devolved into even more vitriol in politics.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-04-28 01:14:35

It's a misconception to say that money taken from the rich to the government takes away from donations to charities that do good. What the rich think the world needs, and what the average person thinks they need are two vastly different perceptions. However, I cannot fault anyone in that position to giving to a cause they feel needs strong support, and surely these charities appreciate the assistance. As well, non-profits who reach out to foundations for grants enjoy the support these foundations give and develop strong relationships that have done a lot of good. However, should it really be the decision of one small collective of people or board to decide what issue gets funded and how society is shaped? People complain that they're afraid of government fully taking over their lives, but freely allow the upper class to shape their existence as they please and do what they want with their existences, views and beliefs. Reach out to these rich families to throw scraps of their wealth to one's direction if it fits their views of the world, and realize how many do not. ...Awkward that I say this as I used to do grant writing for non-profit clients, but it's a perspective one develops when in the field. At the moment, we just need to navigate the current system to get projects funded until things change, and work is still done to improve things, but far slower than if the number of grants from government were greater than from foundations.

As well, a good portion of money doesn't go to the type of charities you think. There are charities in cities that focus on arts development and community development. As well as donations to schools. The part I omitted here are that these development projects are in the same rich cities and communities these individuals live in. So an endowment of hundreds of thousands of dollars going to a prestigious university, the construction of a new museum in the elite quarter of a city, or buying a new set of laptops for an expensive high school who still has last year's models functioning. Essentially the rich giving to the rich, and wealth being retained in the limited upper brackets of society.

but again, it's government that's the dangerous force wanting to control our lives and turn us into drones while keeping all our monies. It's not like the United States hasn't had a history of the 1% attempting to usurp the Federal government, install a puppet president and make it impossible for anyone else to reach the American dream as an autocracy is formed. And that a fatal flu of their chosen president stopped their plans and launched the largest anti-trust suit to shatter their stranglehold on various industries.., allowing for small businesses to break into these fields and help shape the country away from the singular views of a few wealthy business owners.... 

...The late 1800's and early 1900's were a blast now that I think of it. In the sense of observing how things worked and failed. And then depressing when you realize people are wanting to revert back to such a time government and regulation wise.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2020-04-28 03:19:43

@54
Overcoming your blindness is, like, something to the effect of "I can live alone and will have a job".  I don't use it in the delightfully unhelpful NFB way where overcoming your blindness is now you're a surgeon fighter pilot superhero.  I exaggerate but I'm sure you know what I mean.  Just, being employed or even employable, and able to live alone, is so far beyond what most blind people will ever manage.  So it's overcoming, to some extent.  If you can get that far you've done as well as most sighted people even.

@55
So I will put this how I did to my dad, when he didn't understand why some of us hate Trump and he couldn't understand why I was really mad when he voted for Trump, because he did get it after.  The republicans kind of want me to just go away and not exist.  Observe:

I'm blind and with other health issues.  Trumpism republicans: let's get rid of the ACA, which protects preexisting conditions and makes it possible for me to have a chance in hell of having healthcare (yes, they are still trying; there's an ongoing lawsuit that will get in front of the supreme court sometime this year, last I saw the status).  Trumpism republicans: Let's cut social security.  Trumpism republicans: who really likes the ADA?

I'm gay.  I have lots of gay and trans friends.  Trumpism republicans: gay marriage was a mistake, let's roll that back if we can.  Any sort of protection is a mistake, of course you can discriminate on religious grounds.  Never mind that some places mean that without those protections the only doctor in town might refuse to see you, if they have their way we'll just roll it all back because religious freedom.

I'm young.  Trumpism republicans: climate change is a hoax and we will ban even talking about it (Florida did actually try).  most reputable scientists agree that it's really bad and that if nothing is done there will be mass famine among other things by the time I'm 50.  Trumpism republicans: let's protect coal and oil, carbon taxes hahaha no.

But at least I'm white.  If I were Mexican, I'd have gotten to enjoy being literally called a rapist by our president on the campaign trail.

It's very, very easy to say "well the right has points too" until it's suddenly very, very personal.  It doesn't matter how you slice it.  Trump got to the white house by being loudly, publicly, and proudly hateful toward anyone who isn't a white suburban dad.  If the republicans wanted to keep any sort of credibility with me, they needed to tell Trump no, but they haven't yet done that on much of anything, not even vote-by-mail voting (see also: republicans force Wisconsin to hold in person election during Covid and don't allow extension even though they couldn't get all the vote by mail ballots that were requested out).  source, if you want one.

I'm relatively tame as these things go.  But what are all the minorities being targeted supposed to do in your world of less insults, sit back and take it?  it's one thing when it's a disagreement about something where both sides want the same thing, but a president who can call people rapists because of their nationality, that's a different world.  Frankly the republicans used the stupid e-mail server to discredit Hillary, but now that we've got a president who suggests whether we can use bleach as a medication on live TV and who probably colluded with Russia, not a peep from that side of the table.  The Democrats have actually been taking it and avoiding the sort of escalation you don't want to see as far as congress goes for a very long time now, and that lost a supreme court seat and is just continuing to lose ground the longer this goes on (democrats: let's not change the rules for nominations, that would be unfair. Republicans: let's change the rules for nominations, the democrats aren't playing nice. Just to name one really blatant example).

This politics thing where we all get along and government gets done only works if one side doesn't get angry and smash the board, and sorry, but one side very definitely got angry and smashed the board here.

My Blog

2020-04-28 04:20:42

@40, no, sorry, but posts like 26 and 28 hit the nail on the head here. You don't play nice with people who don't understand the seriousness of the current situation. I very easily could have lost one of the most important people in my life a few weeks ago. Forgive me, and others, for feeling raw about the brutal reality of it all. I am fortunate that nothing worse happened, because, if it had, and I'd seen this topic, I'd have zero fucks to give about ripping anyone to shreds who voiced such opinions as the idiot who wrote that Facebook post. To be fair, though, had anything truly awful happened, I would have been in no condition to look at stuff like this forum anyway. I'm barely containing my rage as it is. So, I'm going to end this post here, remind myself why it was best that I take a break from this site, and try to regroup. This place, in addition to several other things in my life, are no good for my mental health at this time. That's about the only good thing that came of my current situation, besides the obvious, of course. The fact that I realized how much I was taking people for granted, and how much I was putting them through by constantly engaging in negative behavior patterns for God only knows what reason.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-04-28 05:38:29

@57
And that's the thing. From what you explained, I understand your side of how you feel about the current situation within the presidency. And the fact is, you laid the facts out, clean and simply. I just wish everyone else did that.
Same goes for Trump. He does the same things that he accuses the left of doing. It's all a matter of perception, in the grand scheme of things. People are ignorant. That's a fact. I'd like to say that I'm not ignorant, but that could very well not be true.
And that's the thing. Even if we may not agree about the same things, we can still have a civil discussion. I just wish that people remembered that more often.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-04-28 05:57:37

@40. heres the thing. @25 doesn't care about people around him. He is basically saying, "I want to go to work now. lets reopen the country! Too bad that people are dying from this unknown disease. I just want to work now!" Don't get me wrong, I want to go out and eat and hangout with my friends again. but you know why I'm not complaining? because I have empathy. I feel for those people who have suffered and has lost someone from this covid19. I feel for the health workers who are under paid and over worked and who don't even have the proper protection. What I don't have sympathy for? is your president and people who expresses no sympathy and want to just line their pockets.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-04-28 09:52:54

57, thanks for clerifieing about the term overcoming. Makes alot more sense now. I assumed mistakenly you were using NFB terminology of overcoming, in essence saying my blindness and all the issues and problems it has don't exist anymore. Though I must add, it doesn't all come down to saying "I am employed and will live alone". I still felt the huge disadvantage of blindness when applying for employment, despite having a masters degree from a very prestigious institution, I still got turned down several times when applying for positions only recent graduates etc could apply to so.
as for trump, lets add more to those on your list shall we?He publically and openly called several countries "shitholes" in a white house press briefing, which is encredibly racist to say the least. Lets fuck up net neutrality, so that companies can charge whatever the fuck they want for certain content, and  can introduce fast lanes if they feel like it. Oh, did I mention  trump's putting people at danger by promoting cloroquin? People actually died from taking fish medicine containing cloroquin.  And after his idiotic comments about injecting people with disinfectant, several people actually tried that, and several states saw a spike in emergency visits for snorting, or injecting or swallowing of detergents or cleaning chemicals.

2020-04-28 11:19:05

I've read some of the posts in response to the one I wrote the other day, that having been post 25. All I can say is, to those of you who attacked me, how very typical and how very predictable. All I tried to do was to encourage people to not live in fear, and that was what you came back with. Well, that's your right, and I would never stop you from voicing your opinion. However, for future reference, if you're going to be that aggressive then I'd strongly suggest a bit of self-control, and perhaps something to back up your position. Someone insinuated that I didn't seem to care what happened in other countries, and that's a flat-out lie. I care very much what happens in the rest of the nations of the world, but I am American and thus put my home nation first as any patriot would. I do hope that those of you in other countries are doing well as I know this is not easy. Things are starting to open up here in the states a bit, but it will be interesting to see how long these regulations stay in place regarding social distancing. I know here in Pennsylvania, things like golf courses and camp grounds are supposed to open back up at the end of the week from what I've heard. Have any of you seen anything similar beginning to happen or heard about anything like that where ever you're from? If so, it would be great to hear something positive like that and I don't think I'm the only one who would think that. Here's to hoping things will pick up and get better soon, regardless of what country we're talking about.

2020-04-28 12:11:33

62, if you are so concerned of the state of things in the US, then surely opening prematurely, and the huge number of cases, vastly more than anywhere in the world should also concern you?

2020-04-28 17:15:03

@59
yes, but the thing is.  There's no alternative for those of us targeted by Trump.  Civil discussion has been tried for well over 4 years by the Democrats.  It lost them the senate, the house, a presidency, and a supreme court seat.  The only reason ground has even been held at all, the only reason things like the ACA are even still around, is that people stopped civil discussion and started protests and things like that.

If you want to understand Bernie Sanders, what you have to understand is that even the Democrats aren't representing people like me now.  The Democrat strategy is let's compromise and hold out an olive branch.  The Republican strategy is we see a way to win forever, or at least for a really long time, so let's crush our enemies.  Compromise, civil discussion, all of that really only works in a world where the strategy of both sides is compromise and solving problems.  In a world where one side has an ideology, isn't willing to look at evidence or to change their mind, and is out for blood, that won't work anymore.

I'm not surprised that Sanders lost the nomination, and I'm even kind of glad.  I think Biden has the best chance of beating Trump, because Sanders is scary to a large section of democrats and independent voters, and at this point all I care about is that Trump doesn't get a second term.  But the thing is that Sanders was the only one saying he'd actually fight for something.  Everyone else, even Warren really, would have tried to continue the current strategy, and the current platform is basically return to normalcy.  That'll get a Democrat to the presidency probably, especially with Trump seriously fucking up Covid.

But all it's really worth is that now the government is representing African American suburban dad with an extra dose of political correctness, as opposed to white suburban dad who doesn't like immigrants stealing our jobs.  It won't actually get anything the Democrats like to promise: the Republicans were too unopposed for too long, and have managed to get control of a lot of things that are lifetime appointments.  Either the Republicans have to suddenly realize that playing fair actually matters, or the Democrats have to get a Trump.  Otherwise this country is going to stay on the slow train to right wing religious theocracy.  I don't believe we'll actually become one because that sort of move makes Democrat Trump more and more likely, but we are slowly moving in that direction, and it is concerning.

Sanders probably won't run again if I had to guess, but I honestly think there's going to be a Sanders equivalent in 2024 or 2028.  And I do think that by then things will be broken enough, and young people will be grown up enough, that the Sanders equivalent will win then.

But my main point is this.  Whether you like it or not, we are at a point where loud screaming is the only strategy because everything else is being a pushover to people who don't really care about anything but ideology.  Trump is very close to a cult, not in a human sacrifice way but in a social dynamics way.  You don't win against cults by arguing politely.  You win by breaking their ranks or taking down the head by any means necessary or preferably both.  All the major wins against the Republicans in the current administration have only happened because of something like that.

And to anyone else who might be reading this who's blind and supporting Trump, I'm just old enough to remember the days when my parents were afraid that they'd not be able to get us on their healthcare plan because my brother and I were both blind, and back then insurance companies were allowed to turn you away.  So though I can't stop you, or force you to see my points, do consider that in the end Trump and the GOP are trying to roll things back to the 90s when blind people had trouble getting access to doctors if the insurance companies decided not to like you.

My Blog

2020-04-28 18:36:47

I am aware of the cases here in the US. I've been following this thing from the beginning, and things regarding these numbers are not adding up. First of all, there are countries that were hit far worse than the United States. Second, as I previously said, we have instances here, and I am sure it is happening elsewhere, in which numbers of the dead and the ill are being exaggerated. I won't dispute that there are those who have died because of this thing, but I am not willing to put my life on hold because people died of a sickness. I am sorry for them, and those that lost loved ones. However, life can't come to a dead stop just because of that. This is all I am saying. For those that want to live under fear, then I won't stop you. However, don't expect me to join in on it because time is a currency that you can't earn back, and I intend to make the most of what time I have. That having been said, I do hope that all of you are well.

2020-04-28 18:53:53

@65
If you want to claim numbers are exaggerated, please provide evidence.  Otherwise this is baseless.  For one thing, China was going out of their way to claim totals were lower than they were.  And the U.S. doesn't even have enough tests to test everyone who's sick from it, let alone everyone who might have it.

Also learn about exponential curves, please.  We're only at a few million people but this doubles every month and that's while things are under lockdowns.

I do actually understand your frustration, but we aren't doing lockdowns because people are afraid.  We're doing lockdowns because we literally want to be able to have functional hospitals and if we don't do lockdowns then we won't have functional hospitals.  Italy has had to make tough choices in that regard, about who does and doesn't get hospital beds, and your attitude is what will cause the U.S. to have to start making those decisions as well should enough people share it.  Covid doesn't just kill/harm people with Covid, it kills/harms anyone else who might need a hospital at the same time as Covid is going on because there isn't enough hospital to go around.

And if we did reopen and everyone such as yourself lived their lives, by the time it is proven to your satisfaction that it is as bad as people claim, by the time you're going "holy shit, I guess everyone was right about those lockdowns" and you regret the live-my-life attitude, it will be too late because you can't treat it in any way and it got out of control and now millions to tens of millions are dead in just the U.S. depending on how bad it proves to be.

And that's before we even discuss that coronaviruses like to mutate and that the more people it's in the more likely that is to happen, or that we're starting to get data back on the treatment options that are currently in clinical trial and it looks like none of them do much of anything, or that we're starting to link Covid to non-Covid related death like strokes and blood clotting for reasons we don't understand.

Frankly this isn't about your fear.  We don't participate in the lockdowns for ourselves.  We participate in the lockdowns to protect those who are vulnerable, and to prevent the deaths of others.  You always have the right to take whatever risks you want, but you do not have the right to put others at risk.  Just living your life puts others at risk, for example if you bring it into your apartment building and get it on the elevator panel.

My Blog

2020-04-28 20:39:25

guys, why don't you just calm down a little bit

2020-04-28 22:38:35

I believe the virus is as bad as people are claiming. I actually had a cousin that didn't take the initial warnings while In New York seriously. They spent a lot of their time outside and ignoring the manditory lockdown orders. They wanted to live their lives with their friends, who they were separated from and gathered in a large group.

Now, that cousin and about 90% of his initial family have been cremated. And he was the only one to head out and got yelled at by his family for doing that. And he took out his parents, one grandparent and one of his siblings for living his life. that's not counting who else not in our family he had contact with. We also had another incident involving a wedding where a ton of people got violently ill. We lost two people from that event as well. Right now, it seems a nearby family has their second floor serving as a makeshift resting area as a bunch of people contracted kovid 19.

What all of these incidents have in common? All it takes is one or two people to roam about infected to start the 1d50 rolls all around, and one's are something that can come up. And those are the lucky ones not rolling a 1d5 for critical existance failures. When you increase the number of people that can get exposed to Kovid 19, you increase the unfortunate number of people gets wiped out. And as someone mentioned, this causes problems for hospitals getting swamped, and being unable to take in other medical cases lethal to existance, illness prevention and other necessary services.

meh, just like a good number of people in my family, people won't learn that this should be taken seriously until the virus reaches a level its indirectly affecting people who aren't sick of the virus. When hospitals get full, friends no longer being around, and funeral invites litter one's inbox. When waits to get into a hospital can extend to weeks, and when one finally gets sick and begin to worry that they could be the next add-on to the statistical data of Kovid 19 deaths. When it's far too late to do much other than damage control, then we'll take it seriously. Or not, it starting to seems just like many things in this country, epedemic preventio has became a political struggle with people doggedly taking a side to the very end.

Also, it's possible to have viral prevention and live one's life properly. Unfortunately, we missed the mark on starting the preventative measures early enough to severely batter back the spread. Other nations who took up arms early have managed to get to a level where they can return to work and socialize.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2020-04-28 23:21:31

Those numbers I am talking about were reported by the head coroner of Pennsylvania. These deaths, and there were several hundreds were never reported to the Pennsylvania Coroners' Association, and he, at first, couldn't figure out what was going on. So, no I am not making any of this up. And, even if I did provide evidence, it still wouldn't be good enough. I had a similar experience a few years back on a forum where no matter how much factual evidence I provided it wasn't taken seriously. So, the best I can tell you is to do what I did and go search it out. These, of course, are facts that you won't get from NBC, CNN, and so on. As I said, I've been following this thing since the beginning, and have been doing so from every possible angle. I encourage everyone to please do your own research, and don't just take the media's narrative as the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Yes, it means you'll have to take the time and do that, but if you're better informed as a result that can only be a good thing.

2020-04-29 01:57:52

Righto, here's my take on this.
Re: outrage and anger. I mostly agree, but we shouldn't be telling forum users to go fuck themselves. That's personal attack territory. Tear their arguments apart. Get angry doing it if you want to. But please try not to attack them.

Accman: Camlorn said it best when he said that these measures aren't in place to protect you, that you shouldn't uphold them to protect you. If it was just about me, if I knew I might get sick but knew for a fact that I couldn't hurt anyone else, I might well take more risks, and others might do the same. But I worry that I might make someone else sick, or kill them. We've got at least one user who's had family die because of this. If that doesn't make it personal, I don't know what does. Reopening things will happen, but as for when it should happen, the answer isn't "when we get tired of living in fear". That's never, ever a good enough answer. If it is for you, then you really aren't considering averything from every angle, and shouldn't falsely represent yourself as possessing a balanced perspective, because you don't.

Fun fact: I'm a Canadian, and I'd be appalled at the idea of putting my country first. We're all human beings. To imply that I care more about Canadians in a situation like this implies that on some level I view Canadians as better than people in other countries. If we're at war with another country, then yeah, okay, maybe I make choices there. But until such time that this happens, we're all human beings who are experiencing this pandemic together. Data from one country can impact the reactions of others. We aren't in our own little bubbles here, and don't have to be. Countries have been trying to help each other out where they can, sharing research and stats and goodness knows what else. In Covid-19, we're all equals.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-04-29 02:02:05

My only comment is that for the people who say we shouldn't reopen until a vaccine is developed and available, we'd better hope this isn't another case similar to Sars or MERS... because as far as I know, we actually don't have a vaccine for either of those yet, technically. So if we wait for a vaccine to be ready, and if one is not found, we're in trouble if that is the condition governments hold to lift physical distancing mesures.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-04-29 04:19:39

@69
You seem to be contradicting yourself. Are the deaths supposedly lower or supposedly higher? I don't understand how a coroner would need to be explaining anything at all if the deaths were lower, since coroners don't go do autopsies on people who are alive.  And if the deaths are higher, that supports the keep things closed side, not yours.

@71
I think the plan at the moment is to just get us to a point where the hospitals aren't being overwhelmed.  I've seen a lot of people talk about i.e. cyclical lockdowns.  We don't need a vaccine as such but currently there are zero treatments, you get it and either you die or you don't.  Sure you might be on a ventilator and that helps but the best treatment does permanently bad things to your lungs and we need hundreds of times more machines for it than we have sooo...

As the lockdowns proceed people recover, and the number of people you transmit it to on average goes lower as well.  All the reputable stuff I've seen is basically that we're trying to get the testing infrastructure for contact tracing in place, then we're going to try to open up slowly and see how bad it's getting.  The heavy-handed measures are because we couldn't do targeted quarantines where if you get Covid you and all your friends go into isolation for 2 weeks instead of the whole city, but hopefully that's going to be in place soon which will also give us a lot of options.

My Blog

2020-04-29 08:25:10

I understand the purpose of the lock-down and the stay at home orders. I also understand that people are beginning to have trouble paying their bills and keeping their businesses open because of the financial burden these mandates are causing. In my state, we have heard of instances where people have been sited by police for merely going out for a drive like the woman in the following article.
https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvania/ … amid-stay-

This woman was out for a drive on her own, clearly not in a position where she would have infected anyone, and this is what she got for it. This is why I refer to these regulations as house arrest. It's crazy, and we don't need overzealous authority figures defining for us what constitutes essential and nonessential reasons for being out of the house for a short time. I've heard that the lady is planning to fight this citation and I hope she wins that one.

I also was not contradicting myself when I mentioned the exaggerated numbers of deaths due to this virus. The head Coroner had stated that there were several deaths blamed on the virus that had not been officially reported, and our governor was called out on that. There's just a great deal about all of this that does not add up, and I, as do many other Americans and people throughout the world, want honest answers.

As I have stated, I totally sympathize with those of you who have lost loved ones or friends. That's a horrible thing for anyone to have to endure, and I hate it. However, virus or no virus, we're going to have to get things moving here again soon. Stimulus checks are not going to keep coming as there just isn't that kind of money growing on a tree somewhere. I know that this may mean the possibility of more people getting sick because of this, and that concern is so noted. Illness is a fact of life, and we're all going to deal with it, or have dealt with it to some degree. I, for one, have had enough of all of it, and will not continue to live my life in fear of getting infected or accidentally infecting someone else. That would be like not wanting to go to a public place for fear that you might bump into, or step on, someone. It happens, and there's only so much one can do to prevent it. I only wonder, if this continues or if another similar situation comes about, what rights are we going to be ready and willing to sacrifice next time. It's something to consider. In the meantime, I hope all of you remain well.

2020-04-29 08:58:18

73, no covid is not an inevitable fact of life. The only reason there are so many deaths, is that a political choice was made by  those in power  to downplay and ignore this problem and hope it went away.
You say stimulus checks and money doesn't grow on trees. Well, money may not grow on trees, but the government could've done much much bbetter, only when talk comes to giving people money  do people start talking about the cost. People got a measly 1200 dollars, but congress had no problem giving up to 5.5 trillion  in interest free lones to corperations. What people got wasn't even crumbs of that package.

2020-04-29 09:18:07

I'll agree, we could have been given more, and we should have been given more. However, what we got was better than getting nothing, and I am very thankful for it. It might not go far, but it does help.