2020-04-21 14:23:32

Hi folks.
So, as you know, we're on lockdown.
I'd like to use this time to install linux on a second hdd I have installed in my computer.
I have an ssd with win10 and an empty hdd with 930gb of storage.
Is there an installer that will allow me to install linux on this drive?
Will it allow me to choose which drive i want to boot when i power my computer on similar to what bootcamp does?
Also, is there a talking installer like this?
Thanks in advance.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2020-04-21 17:32:08 (edited by serrebi 2020-04-21 17:34:46)

You could go get Ubuntu 19.10, Most new distro's I try I have to at least enable accessibility on the USB in alt f1/system preferences or whatever, I forget the exact wording of the menu option, /personal/Assistive technology, and then log out and log back in again for the installers to enable accessibility. For Ubuntu it's as simple as pressing enter after logging out.

2020-04-21 17:40:55

The main ubuntu installer is quite accessible, I installed ubuntu that way, on a secundary harddrive. If you want to start orca to make it accessible, once you hear the sound, press alt+super+s.

2020-04-21 20:05:57

Hi guys.
So, I'm downloading ubuntu as we speak.
How do i go about installing it on my second drive and booting into windows and ubuntu without configuring the bios settings?

2020-04-21 20:49:52 (edited by serrebi 2020-04-21 20:50:41)

Download rufus.ie and make a USB with it. Maybe you have to make gPT, or MBR USB. I dunno, but you'll have to figure that out. Most machines will boot to the USB through a menu if you press f12, or something like that. You may have to research for your PC. Depending on the distro you may be able to boot without bios modification, but depending on your PC you may have to do those changes people talk about.

2020-04-21 20:52:56

I have the ubuntu iso.
I don't know what to do with it.

2020-04-22 03:45:42

well, exactly as other people mentioned above, write the image to a USB media, insert it into the computer, turn it on...
At this point, however, I am afraid that you must, if you aren't lucky enough that it's set as such by default, mess abit with the bios. Note: it would be best if you could get sighted assistance at this point, as to not make it a very unplessent experience for both your computer, ocr device and usb thing. Luckily, you need to do this only once per computer, so no big deal there.
Let's suppose we got past that offleness with the bios for now, so, we just go on...
all you have to do right now is to wait untill the computer boots in the installer. It may pass afew seconds or even a minute untill it does. If you waited for longer than a minute and still nothing, get your phone or whatever you're able to do ocr with, because you'll need it as a problem just happened and you are in the bios, remember, so no screen reader. When it finally does boot, you'll hear a sound much like a drum. Then, press alt+windows+s to start orca.
the instalation will be pretty standard by now, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

2020-04-22 09:39:21

you can use iso to usb to write the image

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-04-22 09:45:35

bud you need to be careful with the installer bicause the standart option is replace windows.
you need to change this and be shure that you have selected the korrect drive

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.