2020-04-08 06:24:04

@Mich: ONly accessible way I can think of is thourgh a typing program like Talking Typer and the lesson content of sentences. The demo version at least lets you do all the lesson content, so that is a good measurement.

2020-04-08 16:55:55

@25
I'd be more concerned about spelling, which is a problem many blind people have.  Spelling will get you knocked off such platforms.

I don't know how to get typing speed, but I'd suggest looking at it as being paid to practice typing.  Indeed, you're getting paid more the better you get at typing.  I'd have loved to be paid for practicing typing when I was learning to type.  You can get better at typing quite quickly as long as you're actually doing it every day, and at the end of the day most of us will end up being faster than sighted people simply because we have to type more anyway.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-04-08 17:00:06

I'd say that I'm a good speller, so that wouldn't be an issue for me. I do know that there appears to be a lot of leeway though in regards to errors.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-04-08 17:17:40

A lot but not too much. Keep in mind that you are not exactly time. I mean, you do get 2 hours, but when we're talking clips that are a few minutes in size, there's no way you'll go over that unless you accidentally leave one unattended. That said the hours are extremely flexible, the only requirement to stay active is one job per month. Obviously if you're going to make money you will want to do more, but if you ahve an extremely busy month you probably still have time for at least one job, and if you happen not to you just need to explain to them why.

2020-04-08 17:26:13

So from a video I saw on youtube, a rough estimate to make up 1 audio hour is about 3 real hours, but she said if you're good you could do it in 2-1. I think I'll do good in this field, as I already take notes from class on my computer, so there's no difference. And Its nice they let you use Grammerly.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-08 17:30:09

I also did some calculations, and you can make some decent money off of this. If you work for about 8 hours a day, yu should get away with 900 bucks a month. Pretty good. And IN this corona time its hella easy to sit and just type and make money by sitting and being on your computer all day long. And 15/AHR is a pretty great pay. If I remember correctly, minimumm wage is half that, so pretty great. That's also a hell of a lot more than minimum wage here in trinidad. In fact, me working 1 AHR is the equivalent of my brother working an 8 hour shift at the grocery store. So yeah.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-08 18:14:20

@28
Yes and no.  I used to work in this industry as a dev, and the way it works is there's multiple levels of anonymous QA above you.  If your clips get enough correction you'll be downgraded and/or dropped from the platform and/or not paid for that work.

I don't know whether or not you personally have good spelling.  But on the whole blind people don't, and you can even often tell that they're using a synth, so I figured raising this point might be worth it.  I personally had to work at this for years.

@31
Be aware that you will be considered self-employed.  Whether that matters depends on your country, but in the U.S. for instance that means an additional 7% self-employment tax.

My Blog

2020-04-08 18:19:28

Particularly if you make more than $600 in the given year. You'll have to check the regulations in your area. Use your flexible hours to your advantage and don't work to the point where you're making too much and you're probably fine. Rules may be different if you're a dependent or if you collect some form of social insurance in your area, so if you collect some  form of social security you really need to be careful that you are not making above the asset level.

2020-04-08 20:54:25

@33
tax brackets are progressive.  You never make less money for working more hours unless you are on social security or equivalent.  You just make less money per hour as you move up the brackets.

Unfortunately in the U.S. self-employment tax is indeed not bracketed. Is either all or nothing.  But if you can work more than the lower end you still should because you still make more money than if you didn't--just, say, your pay goes down from an after-tax rate of (say) $20 to (say) $18.  Same with the other tax brackets.

Taxes are also yearly, not monthly, at least everywhere I know of.

SSI, on the other hand, is indeed monthly, and if you're hoping to get both then you'll indeed need to make sure you don't work over a certain amount. It's been long enough since I was on SSI for me to confidently provide details on that however, other than to say that it is inane and backward and kind of actively disincentivizes working.

My Blog

2020-04-10 10:39:36

Hi Guys,

I've been doing transcription off and on for probably a couple of years now, and one thing I will say is that you want to really watch the grammar. Some sites, most of them in fact, are quite picky about that, so if you try this make sure to read the style guides. Every company that hires transcribers has guides like this, and every company is slightly different in the way they tend to want things done.

On that note, here is a good site to try out. I've had no problems with it in terms of accessibility, and have actually managed to get quite a number of files transcribed.
https://speechpad.com

This is a very reputable company, and if you run into problems they are very quick with their responses. Just drop them an email and you should hear back pretty quickly. I had something happen once and I emailed them regarding the problem. I checked my email again after maybe five minutes and I'd already received a reply. They're very professional.

Now, regarding PayPal. I had some reservations about linking a bank account to it, but I'll tell you it has really helped out a great deal. I've never had any issues regarding security, and PayPal has been very helpful in answering any questions that I've had. Personally, I'd recommend doing it because I don't feel it's a good idea to leave funds in PayPal. I try not to leave anything in there and just use my linked bank account when I want to make purchases. While we're on the subject of payment, the company I've mentioned here is very good regarding payments. Last time I checked, they pay out two times per week, and I've never had any issues with them not paying me unless I really messed up a transcription. I hope this helps.

2020-04-10 16:01:11

Accman: I'll have to look into them once they can start accepting new workers. Things seem to be a bit different there than they do at Transcribe Me. Is their style guide in an accessible format already?

2020-04-10 16:20:21 (edited by Still_Standing 2020-04-10 16:21:53)

i guess i'll give this a try once i improove my spelling/grammer and probably my age will be 18 by then, i'll be sure to add this to my list of   things, typing isn't an issue with me   because i already type fast

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw