2020-03-24 20:23:41

Okay, this was something I noticed today whilst spending some quality work out time with the undead.
In light of the corona virus crisis, Zombies, run now offers a special work out mode entitled homefront, lockdown.

I'm not entirely sure when during the story the mission is set, but the plot involves a huge warehouse opening to release a hitherto unsuspected hoard of zombies, meaning that all of able township's runners need to hole up and wait things out.
Poor Sam, the usual communications tech for the zombies run missions is equally stuck in his com's shack, so rather than guiding runners to targets, instead he stays on coms to keep everyone fit and motivated, offering exercises, tips and banter, as well as updates on how the huge swarm of zoms are doing.

I'm not sure if the mission has an end, but the implication is that the zombies run crew will be releasing more stories as time goes on. Best of all, even for none subscribers, the lockdown missions are apparently free.

Of course you can find out more on Zombies run's db page, and download the game for free for your choice of Ios or android phones.

I can also confirm, that the game works fine with running on a treadmill or mini trampoline too, though if running on a mini trampoline, I'd recommend putting the stride length up a bit since trampoline running is rather harder.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-24 23:00:54

Hmmm appropriate especially since in new zealand we are just hours from a total month long lockdown while we perge all cases in the pipes.
Sadly travel outside the country will remain off limits but if we can just travel about in our country it will be enough.

2020-03-24 23:48:45

Is Zombies Run that iOS audio AR thing? If so, I don't think it's available in the states

2020-03-25 00:07:33

in australia we are moving towards a lockdown too. schools are now closed, wooooot!

2020-03-25 01:30:23

@4, this is the wrong topic. There is a topic in the Off Topic Room where people are talking about the Corona and how it's impacting them

2020-03-25 05:28:36

Zombies run is absolutely available in the US.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2020-03-25 09:58:46

I've seen several testimonials from people playing zombies run in the US, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't available.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-25 21:22:59

This game is available in the US, but I thought you needed an Apple Watch to play it.. I didn't think you could play it on iPad.. I've got a tread climber, and am going to look more seriously into this game, cause it sounds like fun.

2020-03-25 22:20:59

Nope, no apple watch required at all, just an Ipad/Iphone that you can put in your pocket as you run.

You might have to mess about with the stride length setting on a tread climber, since I imagine that is harder work than running normally as I did with my mini trampoline, but that's easy enough to do.

2020-03-27 03:22:31

For sure, no trouble at all. Thanks for all your work on the DB, its appreciated.

2020-03-27 11:10:10

hi, how to setup the tracking? when to use constant speed, and when to use steps counting? i have a mmini trampoline too.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2020-03-27 12:52:12 (edited by Dark 2020-03-27 12:54:57)

@Wes Hollow, your welcome, I'm glad people find it useful.

@bucklee12, use constant pace when your doing an exercise other than running, that automatically advances the game, I recommend changing the setting to 1 k every 5 minutes, I use that when I'm weight lifting, which I usually do with none series missions like supply missions or the radio.

For running on a mini trampoline, you'll need to set the pace to step counting, and work out stride length.
Bare in mind though, if your running flat out on a mini trampoline lifting your knees your burning more calories and getting a harder over all workout than you would be running normally, indeed a quick google search suggested a trampoline run is roughly twice as effective, with 5-8 minutes on a trampoline equivalent to running a mile. I also double checked this with a family friend who's one of the british Paralympic canooing instructors, as well as being a qualified physio, and she confirmed as well.

So, I would recommend setting the stride length up a bit so that you cover more distance with each step you take, and thus can tailor mission length to your workout.

For me, I've found a stride length of 2m 30 works well, this has me doing about 1 k every 4.5 minutes, which means an average 4-5 k mission takes me 20-25 minutes flat out run. Sadly, zombie chases don't seem to work, or at least, the game doesn't track very well when I speed up my pace, so I've had to turn that feature off.

I suppose I could just set the thing to constant pace and set the mission length to 20 minutes, but I personally find it more interesting to have the game actually track the distance I cover, even if I have to modify that distance slightly according to my running method, indeed since I tend to like to do short, intensive workouts rather than long slowly building ones, the trampoline probably works better for me than running on a treadmill would, plus of course, getting distance based rewards just feels better in terms of the stuff I earn.

how it compares to real running outside I don't know, since sadly I've never tried that, but anyway the point isn't for me to train for the Olympics or as a marathon runner or anything, it's just to do a daily workout so that my body and brain stay fit.

Hth.