2020-03-05 17:47:25

Hello everybody. Am I the only one who gets frustrated in Manamon or a Heroes Call way of exploring? What I am trying to say is this. You get audio cues about walls, doors, etc but a lot of navigating is done by trial and error bumping into things, which is necessary if you want to acquire most of the objects in the game or talk with mpc's. As a person like most of us severely visually impaired I don't want to be reminded of my disability. Wouldn't it be better if when you were in a room a list of all items, persons, were available in a list from which you could pick were you wanted to go and then automatically go there. Or if this list was available once you explored the room once. Or maybe this list could include only the mandatory things of the plot but not all the extra once that spice up the game. So, am I the only one feeling like this?

2020-03-05 17:56:54

I feel the same way too. For what it's worth, I really, really like AHC's system where you can get guidance to a particular location once you've bookmarked it or plot elements have caused it to be added to your map.

2020-03-05 18:04:50

I personally feel like AHC was too easy exactly because of the guidance. I think that Manamon's system combined with a topdown view of the map could be amazing for exploration. No lists, just an ability to stop and use a camera to explore the current room.

2020-03-05 18:34:44

Hi,
the thing is, you're not forced to bump into things to know where they are. Actually if you listen well and have some reflexes, you never touch the walls at all. The same of items and people.

Best regard,
Simon

2020-03-05 18:37:07

That’s exactly my problem. I do not want to use reflexes in order not to bump into people.

2020-03-05 18:43:30

eavin sited peaple has to use there reflexes to not bump in to things

2020-03-05 18:43:42 (edited by omer 2020-03-05 18:45:14)

but everyone uses their reflex in a way, even sighteds do.
i dont think a sighted person think like, oh there is a person right in frunt of me, lets not bump in to them
it starts to happen automaticly by the spinal cord

2020-03-05 19:42:50

Maybe it's just me, and my horrible sense of dirrection, but I always end up walking in circles in AHC, getting absolutely nowhere.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-03-05 19:50:36

HI: This question seems to be mostly a matter of opinion. I personally like AHC's navigation system, especially because you can bookmark important locations; I truly wish this was available in the Manamon games. A for bumping into thing? Well, I Manamon I do that quite a bit; not so mch in AHC unless I want to pick something up.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2020-03-05 20:13:33

I've honestly lost count of how many times I've said this, but seriously cut it with the vaig click baity topic titles.

2020-03-05 20:17:27

Part of those games is the exploring.  Some are just better at it then others. A list would be terible to have when entering a room, and as for autiomatic transport to an item, person, or place would be sucky.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2020-03-05 22:38:14

I liked AHC's navigation, but I'm fine with the way manamon does things, as well. Although I have to say, Shadow rine's system, where you had the field viewer that let you look at stuff, is one of the most organic we've had so far in an audio game.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-03-06 01:20:43

UM. AHC has exactly what you wanted, plus audo turning functionality. And those of you who are going on about how the AHC system is to easy, many games, mainly FPS's offer this feature. GTA for example autowalks to the taxi, or a car if you want to steal it. Fortnight, allows you to autoaim and my list could go on and on, and yada yada yda. and blah, blah, blah.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-03-06 01:21:55

I do get that feeling in Manamon howwever. I like how AHC sorta gives you a video game feel by telling you if a wall is there unlike manamon where you think the path is going somewhere, but you waltz right into a dead-end.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-03-06 01:43:59

Personally, I love the way Manamon works when it comes to exploring because of the detail involved. It seems good to be able to look around and really see what's there as that is something that in many video games like this we wouldn't be able to easily do. I also liked the way A Hero's Call worked as there were some things that were featured which made navigation really easy. I guess you could say that I like both, but for different reasons. One thing I will say, and many of you who have played Manamon and Manamon 2 can certainly see where I am coming from here, is that you don't want to be in a hurry at all times when going through these games. I just learned that the hard way yesterday when playing Manamon 2. I thought I was in the clear in this one area, so I just had my character run through the place where I was. Next thing I knew, half of my team was wiped out because I wasn't paying attention to the fact that there just might be traps in the area. I also really like the idea that you have to look along the walls for hidden items as it tends to make things more interesting.

2020-03-06 13:11:26

@5, I don't even know what to say to that... how do you avoid bumping into people in real life? Same applies... everyone uses their reflexes. That's what they're there for so you can react to things, whether in real life or a video game. AHC's system is fine, with the exception that I wish they'd used more ambient sounds instead of the beeps and chirps. Shadow Line's system is still my absolute favourite though, at least at the moment.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-03-06 17:01:08

Shadow Line is amazing. BK3 is pretty good as well, though it's a side-scroller and far less immersive overall.
AHC is good as well.
Manamon/Paladin of the Sky are perfectly serviceable, but they definitely add mazing (or so I'm gonna call it for now) to the exploration system. They are trying to emulate a Pokémon-esque feel, but it doesn't quite work. Because while you can hear nearby objects, there are many situations where you won't know there's a path in the northeast corner of an open area unless you go there. That's why the doctrine of "follow walls" is so prevalent with games like this.
Ultimately, I don't mind it, but I don't think it's amazing, either. Having no idea overall what your map looks like is kind of annoying. And Aaron is infamous for making areas with big long twisty dead ends just...because. Apparently that makes the game harder. No, Mr. Baker, it just makes the game longer, and more annoying.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-03-06 17:38:31

I'm not a fan of Manamon's navigation system. It forces you to constantly follow walls because you'll never know there's an opening to the side otherwise, and navigating the needlessly complicated maps doesn't feel like exploration, it feels like a chore. Also, fuck hidden items.
But, while AHC's navigation system confused me at first, I now like it quite a bit. The radar is a much better way of knowing when there's a wall or an opening somewhere than an annoying constant beep is. There's a way to check what's ahead of you, so you can, for example, easily know which side a road bends to without having to just walk to each side to check. There's commands for checking which objects are in the room and even for turning towards them, which is awesome. There's the beacon to quickly go back to important landmarks, and you can add locations for yourself. Some might think that's too easy, but I don't care, I love it anyway. smile

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-03-06 19:52:01

Honestly, the only thing I'd change about AHC's navigation is that on all difficulties except "easy", I'd remove the ability to warp back to beacons. That, or I'd put it behind a fairly involved side-quest. It's too simple to go deep into the mine/forest/graveyard, collect loot, get low on health, then just teleport out, essentially.

2020-03-06 20:02:29

I like AHC's navigation. I also agree with post 11 that auto walking would be to boring. I am also really good at navigating to the point that I play Pokemon Crystal. Some people have patience for navigating and others don't. I also don't bump into walls in AHC.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-03-07 00:45:18

Partially what makes AHC's navigation difficult for me is the open space sound. While it's a good sound that indicates it, it, it's quiet enough and at the frequency that I lost in my hearing, which makes it difficult. I know that I need to go north from the lake in AHC to find the trap door in the mines, but I just cannot fn theopen passages to get past it.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-03-07 02:49:40

I personally am fine with Manamon's way of doing things and in a sense, Pokemon even had this in a way, just because you could see farther, you had to walk a bit farther to find dead ends. But in pokemon, a lot of items were hidden, invisible except for some clues sometimes, and a lot of the areas were mazes, Just because we walk to dead ends at a shorter distance isn't really a big deal for me.

2020-03-07 07:09:26

But see, I'll tell you something.
In manamon, you might be in a room with eight or nine little one-tile-wide passages in the north wall. One of them leads onward, the others are all dead ends that are at least twelve tiles long (i.e., you will have to try and see, unless you happen to know which path to take ahead of time). So a player not used to the area is going to do something like this: go north into passage 1, go all the way to the end just in case there's a side path at the end, find the dead end, come back, move a little to one side or the other, try the next path, repeat ad nauseum. If there are no hidden items in the area - ind in most areas which do this, there aren't - then you will spend anywhere from twenty seconds to three minutes just trying dead ends till you stumble on the one you want. This is not difficult. It simply eats time.
A person playing pokemon, however, if they came across a room like that, would probably be able to see, after only a step or three into a path, "Oh oops, wait, this is a dead end", and then backtrack out. What's more, they will have a more holistic way to view the map at once, so if they see that the next part of the map appears to be north and vaguely east-ish, they're going to have the idea that the right path is easterly, and this will vastly shorten the time. Pokémon only very rarely uses mazes to increase its difficulty.

2020-03-07 10:25:21

I honestly feel like Manamon would be more difficult than Pokémon due to the fact that there are stuff on the field that can do damage to you.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-03-07 11:19:54

I kinda have the feeling that AHC is mostly a proof of concept. The developers and the community both wanted an rpg that felt and played like a mainstream one, and they got it. It's not a difficult one, except for the final boss, it's not particularly involved story wise, but it's there and it does all its supposed to.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.