2020-02-24 23:42:10

@25: All these forums that don't last use PunBB and overlap a hell of a lot. It's like...there's here. Then there's somebody who doesn't like something here, gets a punbb install, does the setup and then comes back on here and is all 'Hey guys I made forum plz register u get admin' and a few weeks later the forum's gone. It's happened too many times to count and every time it's a punbb install. Every time it's similar rooms. Every time it doesn't last. So, history has shown people who do this get negative receptions.

Maybe if Jaidon does something to stand out from the millions of other punbb forums made by idiots who hate the forum here so much....he'd get credit for it? Like, a different forum software, different skin, new features instead of the bog standard I did the bare minimum yay let's post about it on ag.net trope.

@24: Grab a guide, follow along and if the guide's decent, you'll have a working phpbb install in a shortish time. PhpBB is a lot more powerful and customizeable than PunBB and actually developed andd kept up to date

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-02-24 23:51:22

OK. I'm gonna try and creat a PHP forum, but on a subdomain, so in the meanwhile, members of the pun forum can continue discussion. Last I check, we had 10 Members, which to me is a lot in such a short period of time.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-02-25 12:43:01

Okay okay, I looked at the forum. I guess my thought about the URL is that there doesn't seem to be any pattern or words when I first looked at it, but Jiv Games does sound better, although I'm not sure what Jiv means. Another point, you'll need to learn to take criticism more calmly. In this age, insulting an argument is basically insulting the person making the argument, so try to debunk the argument without resorting to calling it "stupid," "dumb," or any number of opinionated words, and definitely don't call the person themselves idiots. As the prime administrator, it will make you look like a child if you do this on your own forum, and indeed, anywhere else.

I admit, I was very spectical about a new forum, as they've come and gone many times before, and still am. After looking at the site, and parsing the URL's meaning, I find that the familiarity of JivGames to AudioGames is pretty welcoming, rather than what I expected to be a chaotic mess of other forums which have posts in tables :shudders: and little to no headings. I do hope this forum supports Markdown, please? I hated writing in BB Script or whatever when I tried to on this forum. The ease of navigation does give me a little hope in its success.

Now, for the rough part, getting it to stick. You'll need to attract users, basically by having content that no one else has, or supporting features that Audio Games doesn't. Supporting stories and skits is a good idea, but a forum is all about the content and features. Why should people post there, instead of on Audio Games? Audio files embedded right into the site when linked to? Discussion of projects that actually move forward? Game announcements only done on JivGames? JivGames hosting servers? A Windows, Mac, and iPhone client to the forum? Email notifications for new posts and comments, where the person can reply to the mail to post, please? All these are possibilities, and things which can set your forum apart.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-02-25 13:28:05

Hi.

at Jaidon well firstly, I could report your post for personal insulting, so keep that in mind.
Second, I didn't even say something about your forum in a negative way, I merely took a stab at your, sharing and comunity forum you posted yourself some posts back, so, no discrediting there.

And to continue your analogy, what about you dismount from your high horse? A Welsh A, heck, even a Dartmore pony is enough for you.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-02-25 16:15:27

OK 28. I will keep your points in mind.

_____

2020-02-25 19:41:46

@28, nothing wrong with forums that use tables for topics and posts (I actually like that style, it makes things easier). Discourse is a good example of a forum that does this very well. PHPBB does not, by default at least, to my knowledge, support Markdown/Commonmark; Discourse, however, does.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-02-25 20:16:44

I just want to chime in here real quick.

What I read from Dark's post, in particular, wasn't so much that he objects to people making new forums. What he's saying is that if you're going to do something, you've got to have a reason, you've got to fill a need that is not being sufficiently met elsewhere. Else you're just creating something new for its own sake. Which is probably a waste of time in a best-case scenario, and potentially problematic in a worst-case scenario because it just fuels more drama, and drama bleeds every which way.

To my way of seeing this, here's the skinny:
1. Jaidon's got a loose and easy sense of humour. This will lend itself to what sounds like a fairly laid-back style, and some folks will like that.
2. Jaidon is young, and probably pretty inexperienced at this sort of thing; hell, his brain isn't even fully done developing yet (that's true of all young people, so that's not an insult or an insinuation of stupidity). This inexperience is going to show up in the form of ideas that don't ultimately work and wishy-washy stances that either waver or settle firmly in the absolute wrong places. This is natural for people when they're learning, it's not terrible in and of itself, but anyone else who's along for the ride might suffer for it.
3. This inexperience means that folks who know how to pander might be able to cement themselves and do real harm. And just like any other community, the blind community has its share of jerks.
4. There is no stated intention of what this particular forum will provide which other services do not. There's more indication than at the start, and that's a good thing, but the net positive vs. risk is not adding up, not for me.

This doesn't mean you can't make your forum. Go ahead and try it, and I hope I'm dead wrong. It's just that experience has led me to believe that I know a thing or two about people after careful observation, and my observation tells me that this is simply not going to work long-term. There's too much inexperience and too little solid management skills present; this place might end up going the way of AnyAudio, or worse.
Again, though, I hope I'm wrong, and I will be the first to eat a little crow if that happens.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-02-25 22:33:38

Everybody and their grandmother seems to have either a TeamTalk server or a forum (at least, around here anyways). I don't have much to say on the matter of whether or not it will take off, but consider this: while making either of these two things might not pan out to be the next billion-dollar startup, having the experience of doing it is invaluable and could lead to something bigger and better down the road.
I offered a TeamTalk server some time ago. Back then, it was useful for me and my friends. Nowadays, there are other better options for conference-calling and telecommunication that it's a bit unnecessary to ever think about using TT again; however, that experience gave me a tremendous leg-up on my computer-science peers. I became familiar with Linux, how to navigate it through command-line, the secure-shell protocol, and some basic understanding of working in a (cough cough) developing environment. You'd be surprised how many students come into either IT or CS who apparently have this nasty allergic reaction to the CLI and absolutely must do everything in a GUI. Sure, tooling can make it tremendously easier to work in projects, but only after you've gotten programming down to at least a proficient level would it make sense to add the bells and whistles for fine-tuning the development process.
This made certain classes easier. I could talk with more people about stuff I was learning. It allowed me to just be a more well-rounded enthusiast in the field.
Tangent aside, this could help anyone in the long run. I recognize there are tons of folks with some pretty strong opinions on the legitimacy of creating the world's trillionth forum, but I think it's important to consider the value of pursuing projects like this.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2020-02-25 23:10:54

So, I'm in the process of getting the everychat 2.0 forum up. Actually, 3.0, cause simter hosted my first forum.

Still eager for staff members. I feel like a lot of the load is on me.

_____

2020-02-26 00:33:58

Make me a mod. I would be so so so good.
Jokes aside, good luck with your forum Jaidon.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

2020-02-26 06:03:58

TBH I agree with 33. Doing this kind of thing is an excellent way of becoming a good administrator; instead of seeing other admins fuckups, you instead get to make your own, which is far easier to learn from since your the one making them. That will make you, hopefully and ultimately, a much better administrator when you truly start or join something amazing or that sounds cool.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-02-26 09:45:22

Gotta give credit where it's due. I'm not wholly on board with your points, Leibylucw, but there's plenty of merit to what you say. I still think that the potential harm is large here, and that any experience gleaned while in this mindset won't be extremely helpful, but it's a damn good point. Sometimes, you have to just try a thing, get your hands dirty, mess it up and learn how to do it better next time. Baptism by fire, and all that.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-02-26 17:35:40

Really, when one gets started on things, a lot of the load will be on the creator. I mean, look at my repository of the list of accessible Retro games. Who has contributed to it in its month or two of being up? Just me. So yeah, when you begin something, sometimes you're the only one that will make it better. It's hard, it really is, and a thankless job at that, because no matter how many people say "oh coolio new thing thanks a trillion billion!", they won't contribute, although they might give suggestions that you'll have to implement. Again, it's hard.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-02-26 21:37:14

phpbb is the way to go plus, adds a bit more than out of date punPB. It's what I'm using for my forum and people love it. It's new, different and fresh. PunPB is not... and I say not, the only forum software out there that  you can use. Sure, I get it. It's easy, quick and simple to setup, but there you go. I do like PHPbb and what you can do with it plus, a tun of stuff that you can change and customize.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2020-04-01 00:14:16

PSA. I'm taking the forum down.

Copied from original topic over @jivgames.rf.g

Hello guys. I'm currently in the process of moving the forum to a new subdomaine, so I can use this main domaine, jivgames.rf.gd for my official website. Starting tomorrow, I advise that you move over to the new forum. It won't be in punBB, but flux. Which is basically a newer punbb. I may just change my mind and use another software, but either way I'm taking this forum down on Friday 3RD April 2020. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Its gonna be a clone of this one, however our topics won't be there. I'll do a backup and save all of them on a flashdrive. I look forward to seeing you guys. Tomorrow at about 2PM Eastern Caribbean time I'll give you the details about the new forum.

_____

2020-04-02 07:29:36 (edited by gerech 2020-04-02 07:29:55)

@40. what's the new domain? also, you can get a free domain here.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.