2020-01-16 23:13:47 (edited by hadi.gsf 2020-01-16 23:21:38)

bookrage wrote:

hello, I'm just getting started in the game and the way you train skills with TP and AP didn't really make sense to me. Could someone please explain how those types of points work?

Of course.
Let's take swords as an example.
First. type this in
config viewing_train_levels
Now type skills.
You should see something like  this:
Swords                                   Novice(  1/  10) 90
Novice is the name of the level and it is showing that you are right now at level 1, out of 10. the next number you see, is the amount of progress that you need to make to increase your level.
So if you go to the trainer, and type practice list,  you will see that it will say swords, 90/100
The number 90 needs to crease and go down to 0 for you to then to actually be able to train that skill into the next level.
Now the ways to decrease that number and make progress are.
1. actual practicing. as in, using your swords to attack things or if it's an ability using your ability or if  it's a passive skill it needs to b used. as you practice, that number will decrease, so the next time you type practice list, it'll show swords 50/100 for example.
2. spend your ability points, (AP)
To drop your ability points onto a skill and increase your progress, use practice <number of the ability> <amount of AP you'd like to spend>
So let's say that when you type practice list  swords is #3. you'd type practice 3 50, and bang, with a small fee, you'll increase 50 points in your current skill level!

Now when the skill points hits 0, like swords 0/100, It is ready to be trained and you actually are going to take it to its next level.
Now you type train list, and then type train <number of the skill> and you'll raise your skill to the next level for free!
As you go into higher skill levels, you won't be allowed to practice your skills or drop ability points on them and just a little bit before that, training will cost you tier points.
So when you make you swords at 5/10 for example, the game allows you to practice but when you want to train, it'll take no gold from you but it'll cost you one tier points.
Now when that skill goes higher, like 6/10 the game won't let you to practice at all! so what you do is that you train it straight away, costing you gold and a single tier point for each level increase!
At the high end level you will be introduced to another system of raising  skills which is  a different story.
Hope this helped you!
Also tip, always use your ability points! don't let them be maxxed and be wasted! each mob kill will give you one!
Also tip 2, You will not run out of tier points, even when you hit level 100! Don't feel that you messed up your character when you spent them on a skill. you will only get one when you level up, so spend them wisely, but not very conservatively!
Cheers

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2020-01-16 23:53:15

Well I'm now level 10. I do wish there was a way to see how many quests are in a given location, since I have gone to the farmlands which was the next place after lake fortune dictated by the sword master's quest in the training hall, but haven't run into any quests npcs in that area yet.
It'd be nice if there was a "quests nearby" command or similar, particularly since this game has a lot of quests, which is obviously a good thing and as always they're fun to do.
I am also liking what I'm seeing of a lot of the little systems, such as coin collecting, indeed whilst the game doesn't have crafting, some of the armour smelting and mining looks quite interesting, though I do wish the compare command was a little more efifcient, since most of the time I used it it compared the wrong item or just plane wouldn't work.

I also want to find some wilderness, since ranging looks really interesting, but thus far I haven't found many wilderness type areas to use it in.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-01-17 00:10:34 (edited by JaceK 2020-01-17 00:32:29)

Still hoping for gun sword here, and I'm slowly plugging away at Lake Fortune I'm also trying to remember if it said in the help where I get gadgets from, I swear I read it once.
Also, is a copper upgrade good from the starting wood sword? I got the short copper sword in Tempered Steel (love the names of things by the wyay), and the vest from the armor quest after destroying the tree.....and paid through the nose for repairing my gear, yowch. So, is there better gear I can make/get in the town than copper sword and leather vest? I was hoping I could get leather/steel armor for fairly okay.

Also sorta giving up on rogue for a bit. A. Agent's too much fun with gadgets. B. Pickpocket's not as useful as I'd like. I'm tempted to roll a different rogue than a human, and keep daggers, but train the hell out of pickpocket. So...anything I can pickpocket that won't get me in trouble and give good XP?

EDIT: Lake Fortune, not Farmlands

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-01-17 01:20:45

thanks for that explanation, that does clear things up a lot for me.

2020-01-17 02:54:46

Wow ranging skill is fun! though I'll have to train hide up a bit more to make full use of ambush it seems, still, having a monster stuck  in a trap and being peppered with arrows is amusing big_smile.

I really wish there was an empty container command, since it's very annoying having to constantly type "open chest, get all from chest" particularly since locksmithing a chest tells you what's in it and not how to open it.
I also wish those hidden trails went to more places than just lake fortune but we'll see. I've found some quests that look interesting, though having a quests nearby command might be nice to see what quests are in a given area.
That being said, hurrah for a mud that actually doesn't have that ridiculously silly "no discussing qinfo" draconian rule I've seen ruin so many muds, especially ones with really obscure quests.
Not that the quests in this mud are overly obscure with a little  exploring and the inspect command, one reason why a "nearby" might be nice to tell you what is in which area.

One thing I am still wondering is how combat messages work and what the options are for configuration, since it'd be nice to shorten some of my messages but keep some of what my opponents are doing, though I suspect  I will need to toggle the options until I get them right.

I'm also wondering when I find the area with the feathers so I can start fletching, and how armour making works, though again since as a ranger I'm guessing I need to go for leather armour anyway I'm not sure.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-01-17 13:46:03 (edited by JaceK 2020-01-17 13:52:07)

Agent is fun as well, the gadgets mean I can mix it up. Though I'm not getting on too well with ranger, but I do like swords for an agent, honestly. Still thinking if I should go dual swords, or sword and dagger if I can. Then there's gadgets, too. I love night vision since not needing torches, plus backstab is great. Just need to raise swords higher to get more damage. Mudstalkers aren't that bad, really. I've got my wrist gun for a one shot per batle hit, got my swords.

So in terms of a loanman setup, what should I go for weapon wise?

Also Varconian is fun though too, that's pretty awesome, but I do like my current setup

EDIT: Also yeah, does sword type matter like cutlass vs short sword vs bastard sword and so on?

Also on Linux natively

2020-01-17 14:43:04

@dark
Type config message yours brief
then type config message others brief
and see how you like this

2020-01-17 15:56:47

Honestly, once people get a decentish weapon to work with, it's better to stockpile your gold for steel rather than buying armor, especially if you're a high dex setup. Just dodge and keep your risk at a safe level. once you worry about armor, you should be earning gold much faster to be able to grind out the funds needed for a suit of leather/chainmail steel armor.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2020-01-17 16:04:51

Right, but I just hit level 7 though. Is the copper shortsword a good upgrade or should I farm gold for something better howevr is what I'm asking though given I'm running with my Loanman setup

Also on Linux natively

2020-01-17 16:13:43

@Jace, I'm finding varconian ranger works well since I can use acid up close then run away and chuck arrows big_smile>
Actually the best method I've found in combat seems to involve lots of dex, so while I bought some leather armour, it's not as much a concern, also, gold is relatively easy to come by, although obviously it takes gold to train skills, especially defensive ones. Actually, the only time I died was when I mistakenly attacked a group monster on my own, other than that combat seems nicely tactical if you plan right and don't do anything really stupid.

My one miner irritation is that ranging isn't usable in more area types. It makes sense to not be able to range in city environments, but I would've thought planes would've been okay, what with those cats etc wandering around. I also would like to know where to get metal since I am going to need more arrows, and I've found where to find wood and feathers, though the only ores I've found so far are copper and tin with those stalkers.

@Hadi, I've fixed the messages, though I do slightly miss the gory use of my arrows on targets big_smile.
having both on brief is just a bit too lacking in flavour for me, so I find having my messages on brief and others on full is the right balance, though in general I like the fact that combat here isn't all about wailing away as fast as possible.

I am tempted to create an alt, but as in most mudds I don't necessarily want to play through with an alt and not advance my main char, since at the moment advancing is still fun, indeed I generally prefer remort systems for this reason, though  as this mud seems a bit more permenant on characters I can understand why it doesn't have one of those.

2020-01-17 16:37:23 (edited by JaceK 2020-01-17 17:04:16)

@Dark: There's a sign in the ironworks that tells you where to get what. Iron's the troll caves and I don't recall what's where after that. I'm wishing I could be an 'evil' ranger though, but I'm tempted to try a varconian agent. I just work better with melee honestly for this game, since I find range too fiddly but I've not tried it much, I wish I could find targets to practice on. My rogue got murdered quite a lot by failing pickpocketing.

So how exactly would I make a high ded/xodge agent? I've everything at 7 across the board. I just wish I could repair my stuff for cheaper, if I can, I'm not sure how

EDIT: Okay, is there a handy way to remember where things are in the merchant area? Trying to find the clockwork store but no idea where it is. I found the arcane stuff, tavern, dragon plaze, and so on...but no clockwork ideas

Also on Linux natively

2020-01-18 15:28:58

@LordLondon: How do you manage being a rogue, or, what's the trick to levelling up? I'm sucking majorly at pickpocket, is there anything I can safely pickpocket without getting slaughtered by the guards that gives a nice gold/silver payout?

Also on Linux natively

2020-01-21 04:35:15

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before but because of the amount of action going on e.g. NPCs entrances and exits, other players, the staff have input a replay command. For instance you would type 'replay tells' and it would list your most recent tells, oldest to newest. Typing 'replay X' will list the available replay options.

I'm really liking the MUD so far. I'm a human fighter at the moment, haven't created any permanent alts yet because I'm just testing out what works for me. My character name is Alaena smile

2020-01-21 17:44:48

Can anyone write a plugin which give some shortcut to check our hp, mana, etc? like alt+h to check our hp In alter aeon etc etc. this mud seems amazing smile

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2020-01-22 00:43:46

typing health will tell you info anyway, I also believe theyr'e working on other single check commands like wealth.
Btw, does anyone know how to see the most recent changes? I've tried news, changes and updates and none seem to work, though I gather a lot of work is done on this mud at a constant pace and it'd be nice to know how things are going.

2020-01-22 12:06:57 (edited by LordLundin 2020-01-22 12:07:32)

Alright, I've taken a break from the game for now ... things are just so broken and unbalanced. Neat concepts, poorly implemented.
If bugs get fixed, balance worked on ... typos corrected and god damn can I say potentially rewrite every single description in the game   ... I will definitely have another go at it.
Seriously for a game that claim to be rp-enforced, the descriptions are truly horrendous.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2020-01-22 18:08:03

Alt+h for hp?... Is this where things are going? Maybe make an alias?
In another it's life or li and I put hp not to go crazy, aliases are easy.

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2020-01-22 20:13:32 (edited by Dark 2020-01-22 21:23:33)

Personally I'm happy typing health in this one. Combat is generally slower and more tactical, which is a major plus imho, so it's not quite as necessary to have everything super timed, or at least so I've found so far.

I also don't agree with lord Lundin, I'm loving where this one is going, particularly with the quests, unique world and systems and look forward to exploring more of the game.

Indeed, I'd definitely recommend this one to people who enjoy questing and are tired of the usual dicu style auto hack n slash.

2020-01-22 23:45:23

@Dark just to give you an example, friend of mine was searching for an item he needed for a quest, after 2 hours he asked about it on chat and was told to drop it as the quest was bugged.
Also as someone who's good at writing, I hope you'd be the first to admit the descriptions are ... well ... just ... bad.
Look, I absolutely love the classes, though there could be balance, but the ... hold on I keep getting interrupted and I just woke up so I'm grumpy. I'll come back later ... or I won't.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2020-01-23 02:41:59 (edited by Dark 2020-01-23 02:42:33)

Maybe you've got further on than I have Lord Lundin I don't know, I haven't run into any quest bugs or issues of that sort myself, and the   writing quality seems adequate enough for depicting the world. I've noticed a couple of typos, EG on one occasion my female character was referd to as "fellow" but nothing ground breaking or worse than many muds, indeed nothing that couldn't be cleared up with a simple typo report command.
then again, I freely admit in terms of mud playing I don't go through the writing with a fine tooth comb, and so long as the descriptions are atmospheric I don't mind a misplaced comma here and there.

I haven't had time to play recently as much as i'd have liked and am still level 11, but if I run into anything serious like none working quest bugs I'll mention as much, since  is the sort of thing that would irritate me, but nothing of that sort so far, indeed  mostly extremely impressed as I said.

2020-01-23 09:05:15

@Dark yepp, that's the reason you're playing still. Have you gotten to the city yet?

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2020-01-24 00:03:59 (edited by Dark 2020-01-24 00:04:17)

If by "the city" you mean the main city square as opposed to the dock area you start off in, yes certainly, I'm currently in the forest and have also fought in the mountains too, though as I said if I start running into none working quests we'll see.

The best cure though for both bugs and typos is players, so hopefully the devs will introduce commands to let players report issues in the mud directly, since the sooner notified, the sooner they can be fixed.

2020-01-24 00:20:44

Oh god, the mountains. The place where you're literally told everything falls off the cliff and dies.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2020-02-16 14:02:06

Hello!
There is three of us from AG forums that are still going strong and enjoying this game.
Dayrinni is adding everything we need, It is just a matter of time that a soundpack gets made for the game!
Let me know if you had questions.

2020-02-20 16:43:38

Hello. I became interested in the game, but I can’t connect. My client gives an error and cannt find the server.