2020-02-18 02:32:42

My laptop is well over a year old, and is long overdue for a clean out. I have with me a canister of compressed air. I believe it uses liquid nitrogen to get it's air, because the canister is cold and makes sloshing noises if I shake it. For all I know me shaking it was a bad idea and I just screwed this hole self-cleaning project up, but I'd have no idea because I've never done this before. I had the computer off, and I attempted to point the little straw at my minuscule computer vents and squeeze the trigger. This failed miserably, because when I turned my computer back on it's still not blowing any air out of the fan. I also probably didn't aim exactly right because I wanted my hand out of the way so I wouldn't turn into a human Popsicle. What am I missing here? Is there something else I need to do to clean this thing out? I feel stupid for asking this, but is it even possible for blind people to clean out a fan? I know I sound exactly like the people who think blind people can't do things, but I legit have no idea how to do this. Thanks in advance guys, and I'm sorry if these are stupid questions.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2020-02-18 02:36:51

I think you have to put the straw up to the fan. Oh and who wants a dansicle

2020-02-18 02:48:36

1. Its ok. There's just some things blind people can't do, and I think the notion of, blind people can do anything is just as bad as the sighted saying plind people can't do anything.
2. I don't know. I think I'd rather a jadcicle. Its so sweet and tangy.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-02-18 03:03:16

Honestly man I'd just see if you can open that bitch up and clean it out manually.
@3 Agreed. I always think it's funny when sighted people wanna tell blind people how to feel, too. And if you express annoyance at what you have to deal with, then that's you being ashamed of yourself, i'm not ashamed of shit, but i'm sick of finding workarounds for shit, I'm sick of needing people who don't know shit about computers to tell me what the fuck is on my BIOS screen instead of just me figuring it out like I've done with other things.. If I could get my sight and normal hearing back I would and I will

2020-02-18 06:31:11

Lol. no. It isn't liquid nitrogen, but it's indeed cold

Also, yes. You may very well have to take the laptop apart to get to the fan.

2020-02-18 08:01:33

trust me noone gives liquid nitrogen, like a water bottle
i have an hp laptop too, its so easy to open and clean

2020-02-18 19:25:01

As long as you're not holding the can upside down, the air that comes from the straw won't be cold That should help you to aim it.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2020-02-18 20:08:39

put the battery out open the machine bud be careful that you arend breaking something then find the fen and clean it manualy

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-18 21:04:38

Opening the laptop and giving the fan a good cleaning is the best option. If it's a modern one, I hear that a lot of manufacturers are making this more difficult, and no, I don't just mean Macbooks, I mean in general. Desktops always have been, and probably always will be, a hell of a lot easier to work on.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-02-18 21:39:08

Why Do Compressed Air Cans Get Cold? This video will tell you everything about canned compressed air and why there's liquid inside, as well as why it gets cold. Also, if it was liquid nitrogen, you wouldn't be able to hold the can, and after a while, the can would explode as liquid nitrogen's boiling point is very low, so after a while, the pressure inside the can would be too great for the thin walls. Given that we often buy canned air then leave it forgotten somewhere until we needed it, that would be a world of hurt when we forgot about the can and, a few hours later, it exploded.
As to cleaning your laptop's fan, be sure that you stick something non conductive in through the grating to stand between the fan blades. You should never spray computer fans without halting the movement of the blades, as they can be damaged in this way. The compressed air is enough of a force on the blades to set them moving, so stick in a popsickle stick or something else first. Do be gentle and careful while doing this too, as you don't want to use too much force and damage or bend the fan blades.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2020-02-18 21:53:17 (edited by Rastislav Kish 2020-02-18 21:57:20)

Hi there,
hmm, taking the laptop apart seems like a way to go, although I would say that this part is actually much easier than putting it together. At least in my case, I'm afraid after this operation, instead of one pc I would have many smaller. big_smile
Some guys in our community use those usb vacuum cleaners for keyboards. Some of manufacturers even state in their descriptions, that they can be used to do this. You just put it on the fan's hole and let the dust be pulled out. how efficient this method actually is I don't know. I have never tried.

@4: So I'm actually not onlyone, who feels like this? smile Yes, this annoys me too, it's probably the most annoying thing in the world. Even the most simple and the most stupid things such as going to a swimming pool or lolling on a beach requires planning stage, preparing stage, mind experiments stage and the actual trying stage and even after all of this, something goes wrong and you end up in ***. Especially for someone like me, who releases energy only when he must to, this is a killer. And I'm even not talking about the fact, that we can't read a stupid book or a stupid musical score, because we don't see it, and sighted don't understand it. Aaargh.
And then a sighted person comes to me, and complains, how complicated is life. Man, they don't know anything about how annoying life can be, yet when you tell them, they look on you like you was the one, who know nothing, because you are young, and they are in their fourties. Just how happily would I switch places with them, but that's sadly not possible. Even the biggest idiot in the world has more possibilities than I do, damn it. That is... Well, quite frustrating. Politely said.
I am not the type that uses to complain aloud, but as I saw this post, I couldn't hold back. At least others, who go through the same things (perhaps the whole community), will know, that they're not alone.
We can be happy at least, that we don't have motorical injuries as well, meaned of course for those who actually don't have them. Although it doesn't really help much, that would be even bigger shit, than my current situation, so I am happy at least for things I have. it's not fair, but the world itself isn't fair, so those are no news here.

Best regards

Rastislav

2020-02-18 21:56:33

@10 Upvote for Mr. Chemistry man! lol