2020-02-09 01:49:12

Hello all!
Today I'd like to announce the beta of a small project, to see if you guys like it.
It's a browser-based adaptation of cookie clicker, and can be played on most devices as far as I know.
the beta can be found here
http://rbstudios.ml/cc.html
If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, let me know for the official release, and I'll see what I can do.

2020-02-09 01:51:34

hi all, just about to post a patch that fixes something.

2020-02-09 01:58:37

and, voom. the patch is there. fixed every single known bug. lmk if there are anymore.

2020-02-09 02:35:25

beta 5 is out which adds remorting! Also officially tested the new integer system which goes up to the 53bit integer limit.

2020-02-09 02:45:29

beta 6 pushed. you know how in beta 4 I increased the prices? well, I kind of did. the labels, yes. the actual prices? nope. Well, now I have.
enjoy!

2020-02-09 04:06:51

to be honest, when we're talking about game like this, I am looking for something that satisfying, there for, a sounds will be nice, like a satisfying click or whatev when the cookies are being created

2020-02-09 04:19:14

the thing is, I made this game so you could play it on any device, and that would kind of kill that because some browsers just glitch the hell out when I try sound support.

2020-02-09 05:37:52

Quick question. Do you know JavaScript? It will help you with this kind of stuff

2020-02-09 06:30:18

I know better, I know... spider basic!

2020-02-09 06:51:47 (edited by Sage_Lancaster 2020-02-09 06:52:32)

Allright i looked it up and it looks cool, but can you, for example, create a game window and handle sound and keyboard events instead of using a web page? If you can, i will definitely try it

2020-02-09 07:25:57

you can't exactly play a keyboard-based game on a phone now, can you?

2020-02-09 07:50:54

I don’t know what to say to that

2020-02-09 08:49:11 (edited by The Dwarfer 2020-02-09 08:51:43)

This is good! What's the point of remorting though? It seems to just restart rather than unlocking more stuff. In addition: in games like this, once you buy one thing, the price for it tends to increase rather than staying at a flat rate. by a percent. So a cookie tree might be 120, but then increase to like 126 if you used a 5% increase, or 132 if you used a 10% the next time you buy it, etc. It's exponential growth.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2020-02-09 09:53:22 (edited by Dakonna 2020-02-09 09:58:56)

Hi, this is arguably a good start. We could get an accessible port of cc here, but before you continue you must consider some things that have to be changed in order for this to work right.
*Saving: You must add some way of saving player progress. Most clickers do this in the form of cookies or other temp files that your browser downloads, though an account system also works, whatever is easier for you. But you're going to need something like that if you want players to properly enjoy this game. When you do this, it would also be beneficial to add a way for the player to export their save file to a text document or similar, so if they change devices or clear cache, they can simply paste in the contents of their save to pick up where they left off. With such a system you have to consider offline production as well because once you add saving, it becomes a possibility. CC solves this in the way that you buy upgrades only available on reset, which allow you to keep some of your total production while offline. Once you reenter the site, it calculates how long you were offline for and gives you what you're due.
*Exponential growth: If you've ever played classic cc which is accessible unlike the modern one, you'll realize that building costs don't stay the same as you buy them. In fact, they are raised by about 10-15% every time you buy a new one. I don't have the exact number right now but all the formuli you need for implementation are on the cc wiki. What I suggest is to lower the price of the first cps boosting building to something like 15, lowering its effect, and then making the prices grow by a percentage like the one I put above.
*Upgrades: In cc and most other idle games, there's a difference between upgrades and buildings. Your game doesn't make this distinction even though it should. Buildings are usually normal cps increasers. That's literally all they do. Upgrades are the things you buy to increase production of either all buildings, of a speciffic building, or even tie in multiple buildings to create a sinergy. An example of sinergy would be Advanced farming techniques, would give your cookie trees +5 cps per cookie robot owned, and your cookie robots +0.5cps per cookie tree owned. Cpc boosting would be an upgrades category of its own, you could have upgrades that boost your cpc by a flat amount, by a percentage of your cps, or other factors. CC also has the flavored cookie upgrades which add a small percentage of productivity to both cpc and cps, usually between 1% and 4%, but there are over 500 of those so it all ads up.
*Remorting: Remorting has to do something. Right now it gives you some extra production, but in cc there's actually a system where you get rewarded with chips based on how many cookies you baked in the last run. These chips give you more cps if you don't spend them, but you can also buy some special upgrades with them that aren't available any other way.
*Hide: Hide the upgrades/buildings you haven't unlocked yet. In cc, you only get shown the names of buildings up to the first one in the list that you don't have yet. After that, you can see about two or three more, but their names are removed and you only see the prices. Upgrades don't appear until you meet certain unlock conditions, such as a certain number of total cookies baked.
This might be a lot so soon, but do all that, and you could really do something for the comunity. I hope whatever coding environment you're using allows for all this, otherwise consider rewriting it in something like javascript, which is what cc is written in. That also allows for things like sounds in most browsers and is capable of doing all the things I described. It's a real shame that cc itself won't be made accessible, but this is one way we can do it.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-02-09 11:30:02

Conor literally said everything I want to say here.
This is a good idea for a game, but for me, it's a lot of the design that works.
The fun in incremental games is slowly unlocking all the upgrades, building up your resource/resources, seeing new things as they interact, and getting new challenges.
Here your presented  with everything at the start, and nothing to work for. Likewise, there is no reccord of how many of each thing you bought, which, apart from increasing the price, could also give you some indicators for achievements or other unlockables further down the line.

Lastly, the game is easy to cheat at the moment.
I only actually bothered with clicking to earn my first couple of cookie trees, once I'd raised the rate to about 10 cookies per second, I just waited, bought more cookie trees until I was hitting the hundred or so cookies per second mark, then went on to buying cookie farms, finally cookie kitchens.

By the end I was getting 232 cookies per second and so got enough to   remort about 20 seconds.

I would strongly suggest having a look at the cookie clicker wiki, then playing some classic incremental games such as space company to get an idea of how mechanics work and how to hook in players.

I will say though, I love the idea of this, it's really irritating that the one reason blind people can't actually play cookie clicker, is that there's no way to find that bloody cookie to click on, indeed it would be an easy fix, if the developer wasn't stuck  a vault somewhere counting his millions of cookies big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-09 13:15:07

Ok for the record
Remorting actually does do some things. In stead of 0, past r1, you actually get to start with cps at [remortnum] and cpc at [remortnum]
Also, saving, definitely a thing, definitely quite high on my priority list.
Incrementing values after purchase would also be good.

Also here are the latest test reports
*windows: works perfectly
On chrome and edg tested
*mac: needs testers
*lynux: needs testers
*android: works with actively refreshing cookies counter on chrome and cake browser.
*IOS: tested on safari but no success, sorry.

2020-02-09 13:15:41

hello
what is remort?

let's rock!

2020-02-09 14:41:31

@Rory, I'd personally suggest both looking into price increase per item bought, and also hiding items you can't currently afford. A lot of the fun in incremental games is exploring all the different available upgrades, and working your way through resource collection to see and unlock them all.

Remort means starting the game again from zero, but with some increased values as as Rory said.

@

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-09 15:00:02

Actually it does work on ios at least for me

2020-02-09 21:22:49

I'm on a Mac. Good here.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2020-02-10 10:59:24

beta 7 is here with incrementing values and dynamic shop! check it out, link in post 1. and as always lmk if there are any bugs so I can squash them and put them in my next cookie, yum yum -- I mean whaaaaat?

2020-02-10 11:06:58 (edited by DJWolfy 2020-02-10 11:07:23)

I have just pushed a new update, beta 8, which fixed a small but game spoiling bug where you would be able to see all the upgrades if you moved very fast, because it only refreshed when the cps timer came around, and I decided I didn't want it to do that

2020-02-10 13:07:46

Hi. Really liking this game but just ran into a problem. I remorted to remort 2 and now no upgrades are available even with 2000 cookies.

2020-02-11 06:32:38

hmm, interesting. I'll look into it. Do take into account, that prices rise, so maybe you bought things after price rise and didn't notice.

2020-02-11 18:48:31

Congratulations on the new game. How do I play? I don’t know how to play browser based games, so can I get some help please. Do I have to use real money? Also can someone please make some videos of different play throughs using a windows computer and iPad too.

Thanks