2019-12-29 18:07:38

Hi guys.
Thanks for the replies.
So, I had a dream last night. I think it fit the context of this topic quite well. So, I was in an elevator. It was very small, and made completely out of glass. There was one problem. The elevator was broken. It was only attached to the shaft by a thread. Any small amount of movement would break the thread. If that happened, the elevator would plummet down the shaft and I would probably be killed. There were people outside the elevator. My friend, who is a DJ, was hosting an event. I could hear all the people outside the elevator, even while it was hanging in the shaft. I think I may have tried to call out to them, but they couldn’t hear me. I then called one of the characters from the TV show wentworth prison. Her name was Frankie. Spoiler ahead! She was a lawyer. I explained to her that I needed help to get out of the elevator. She then calmly told me that everything would be okay and that she would call for help. Needless to say, I got out alive. I have tried to interpret this in the context of this topic. The elevator could symbolise my fear. I’m going to be stuck in a small space where nobody knows me. Everyone will be outside having fun. If I make one wrong move, everything could go badly. What do you guys think? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2019-12-29 20:20:42

Can you elaborate on that a little bit Targor?

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2019-12-29 22:32:58 (edited by targor 2019-12-29 22:43:26)

It's quite obvious, isn't it? When somebody is completely nervous about going to a mainstream school, thinks everybody will hate him just for basically existing, wants to do everything correctly and is afraid of cliches where people act like assholes all the time, it's not the greatest of ideas to tell him how teachers spoke about you behind your back and yelled at you, while some people bullied you for standing up for yourself.
@26 I see that dream more as your subconscious making up a bad dream because you are so nervous the whole day. I have that often too. By dreaming, you take your thoughts for the day and try to process them and let them behind you.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2019-12-29 23:10:33 (edited by Dan Gero 2019-12-29 23:12:02)

What do you want me to say, Targor? Oh yeah, things will be just fine, nothing bad ever happens in an educational environment. Things are going to happen. Maybe not exactly as I described it where most of the teachers are assholes, but you never know what's going to happen. You have to be prepared, and if I tell him nothing he won't know what to do when something bad actually happens. Besides, look at the message of my post. If you are bullied, respectfully stand up for yourself. I feel like that's a pretty good message to send to a high school student, don't you? I'm not telling him to be on high alert the second he walks through those doors, I'm simply saying he should come prepared for anything.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2019-12-30 01:54:53

@Mads, not sure where you are in the world, and glad the big stand up intro worked for you. I know for myself though and as far as culture in the UK goes, the sort of stand up introduction about blindness in front of the group you describe would be a generally bad idea, especially if I were nervous before hand. On the other hand I've never been to South Africa and have no idea what things are like there, so RTT will have to make up his own mind.

RTT, oddly enough your "high my name is george" speech is roughly what I'd suggest, though in the context  a conversation not a monologue.

For example:
"Hi."
Hi I'm george?"
"Hi I'm Bob. how do you use a computer if you can't see the screen?"
"i use a screen reader, it speaks as I write, I also play computer games.
"How do you do that if you can't see them?"
"well I listen to the audio etc."
Don't refuse to talk about the blindness, or to answer people's questions, just make blindness part of what you do, not the main thing you do, be happy to chat about whatever else, and only go into the blind part if it happens to come up, indeed I've tended to find myself that once
you've chatted to someone about other things for a while, and they finally get comfortable enough to get to the the "have you always been blind" or "how much can you see" question, you have usually passed the gulf and someone will actually start treating you like a human being, you can then start on getting to know them big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-30 02:28:13

@29, you may not be outright stating that you want him to be on high alert, but you might as well be. Trust me, I know all about assholes in the education system. The positive experiences I had in school were few and far between. However, there's a time and a place to bring that kind of thing up, and this wasn't it. It kind of makes you sound as though you were trumpeting your own experiences for the sake of having people respond to them. Even if that's not the case, this guy has most likely ruminated on every bad scenario his mind can conjure up. He's very obviously quite distressed about the possibility of something bad happening. He doesn't need any more negativity being fed to him in that state. If I'm saying this, and I freely admit to being quite a negative person most of the time myself, maybe you should try to be a little more encouraging. If he were to come back in a month and post about how sucky things are, then yeah, that's a whole different ball game, provide all the empathy and commiseration you want, as I'm sure many of us would do, but don't make a mountain out of a molehill where there might not be one.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-12-30 02:46:27

I don't talk about my experiences just to talk about me, I talk about my experiences to warn other people. If I didn't experience these things, I wouldn't be able to comment on RTT's situation because I wouldn't know how to help. I'm sorry if I put you on alert, Rtt. Just trying to assist in the only way I know how. I'll stop commenting now so that I don't scare you anymore than I probably have already.

--------------------

2019-12-30 07:57:46

Hi guys. I honestly don’t know what to say here. The experiences did help as they allow me to account for every possible scenario. Thanks to everyone else for keeping everything in mind. Sorry about this.

2019-12-30 08:07:24

I attended several schools myself, ranging from some that were comparatively nice (where ironically I was the only blind student), to a special school so regimented that there were bells for cleaning your teeth (I'm not joking), to a shit hole of a minstream school where knives were pulled on teachers.

The fact that yours is a small school bodes  well since generally shitholes have larger numbers of pupils, but myself I'd agree with turtle power here, go in expecting things to go well and your more likely to get what you're expecting.
not absolutely guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination, but the more relaxed you are generally in any situation the better, and horror stories from myself or from others probably won't help you in the relaxation department.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-30 08:22:46

thanks Dark. Knives being pulled on teachers, dam! Every single time I have gone to a different school, if it starts well, it ends badly. If it starts badly, it ends well. This is a recurring pattern. I don’t understand it.

2019-12-30 09:36:01

Have you ever heard the proverb that a man cannot step in the same river twice, since it's never the same river, and he's not the same man.

This is even truer of schools, since each school is slightly different, plus as you go up the school system, even if you stayed at the same school things would change drastically. After all, the way an eleven year old and the way a sixteen year old act are worlds apart, far more different than say a twenty one year old and a twenty six year old.

Since your coming up to the older end of school, theoretically people should be starting to mature and idiocy should've stopped. Of course, that rule doesn't follow entirely either, but it is something to consider.
For me as I said, the most reasonable age group I've found was 17-25, and the best time I had was the end of school and start of university, so hopefully things will work out well.

Good luck.

2019-12-30 14:32:24 (edited by RTT entertainment 2019-12-30 14:36:19)

Thanks dark.
I never took that into consideration.
BTW, something else just came up.
So, I have to do afrikaans (one of South Africas many official languages) as my second language.
We have one small problem though.
So, I purchased the pearl camera, and there is a text to speech voice that was developed by the S C I R that can speak afrikaans as they used a native speaker this time.
Anyway, my family want me to take my gaming laptop (its my laptop that I use for everything) and they want me to take my pearl camera along with a pair of headphones just for one subject.
While the pearl camera is portable, it is sertainly not something you want to carry around every day just for one subject.
There is a strict no cell phone policy in almost all schools in South Africa.
I almost forgot to mention that I'd be using my BrailleSense polaris as my primary work device.
I understand sacrifices need to be made, but I feel it would be quite unnecessary to carry a backpack for my original school odds and ends, my polaris, my pearl camera and another backpack that holds my laptop that I'd only use for one subject per day.
Also, this laptop has all my games on it and there is no way in hell I'll be removing those.
It probably sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm wondering if there might be a way around this.
Sorry if it comes across that way.

2019-12-30 19:35:38

Lol deleting all your games ... that's a no-go smile Wouldn't do it either.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2019-12-30 19:37:15

Hi RT entertainment,

Hope you are well.

I don't know how your school system works so I'll give some advice.
Cultural activities - there's no need to worry about them. Just focus on your studies and you should be all right.
Your camera - if there is a need for you to take it for one subject, take it. Honestly I don't see the need to have it in every lesson for that one subject but it is always useful to have it nearby. Make your decision based on what your teachers tell you about each lesson. For example, "can you please bring your camera... next lesson we will be doing so and so."
Your laptop - take it, you never know when you might need it. For example, you might be required to access the internet in your classes to search specific things. Also your brail devices might break so you always a useful backup.
Lastly, do try to find a good support worker. If you are male, find a male one, if you are female, find a female one as that will be better for you. If you do get into trouble e.g. being discriminated against, maybe they can explain your situation to the relevant people. They could act like a sort of advikit for you.
Also, quit gaming, it will improve you a lot.
Best,
Thunderfist.

2019-12-30 19:37:41

I know they would never actually make me do it, but you know how some people get.

2019-12-30 20:30:00

Lol, quit gaming, says someone on a forum specifically for gamers. That cracked me up, though it probably shouldn't.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-12-31 07:12:11

Yeah, I agree. The other advice was really great though.

2020-01-01 17:31:23

Hi guys. Happy New Year. I need your guys advice again. So, unlike most other schools in South Africa, you are allowed to keep your phones on your person or in your schoolbag. There is only one problem. If it goes off, it gets confiscated. I know it will probably be safe in the bottom of my schoolbag, but I have these terrible daydreams about it going off on my first day and turning my experience into a nightmare. Do you guys think I should carry it with me? It’s a double edged sword, or so they say.

2020-01-01 18:23:08

Just turn it off and take it with you. I don't really see the problem here. It's not going to randomly switch itself on and ring.

2020-01-01 18:43:49

Yeah, you’re right. I’m just worried about Murphy’s Law, I guess.

2020-01-12 17:51:36

Hi guys. Sorry to revive this topic, just wanted to let you know that I start school two days early. That’s honestly not a big deal. I start tomorrow. Again, I’m nervous that the people will not act mature. Sigh. I understand that not everyone gets along, but we don’t need no drama. I really hope there are no classroom politics LOL.

2020-01-12 18:50:24

Good luck mate.
You'll do great.

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2020-01-12 19:03:08

Thanks man. I really appreciate it.