2019-12-10 09:54:45

so how do i actually get to play this game?
I went to the radegast page and downloaded some kind of client, and it doesn't have sound... is it supposed to have sounds or what? can any one please just guide me?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-12-11 04:29:18

I am not sure on how to use this client to do things in Second Life

2019-12-11 12:48:33

I did enjoy the fishing contests, but I kinda felt the same way as Ironcross said.  I'd like to see where this goes, so hopefully we hear from Roxley about this.

2019-12-11 13:26:43

so how did you guys actualy get the game to work? could you please explain to me how you got the game to work?

best regards

2019-12-12 06:04:57 (edited by heartssong 2019-12-12 06:15:00)

Iron, I will try to address your issues and answer everything as best I can below. I will say I really think you should consider coming back for training. It really sounds like you didn't scratch the surface in terms of learning how to use Radegast and I would love to help you if you ever decide to give SL another go.

let me try to address these issues as best I can. I am totally blind and use SL without a problem. In fact, most people have no idea I am blind in-world until I tell them.

Shopping is one of the things I love doing best. I have about 400 ballgowns in my growing collection and I don't even want to admit how many in-world dollars I have spent on those.

Most clothing items do not contain HUDs. There are some on Marketplace that have HUDs offering various color options, but most people just buy their outfits in tons of different colors like I do, or pick up freebies.

I am a member of a group in-world that offers a free gown every month. They have well over twelve years worth now so that means a lot of free ballgowns!

As for getting around: you are not supposed to teleport every time you want to move. In fact, in some places, teleportation is not allowed. I walk around all the time.

You see the objects around you via the objects list in Radegast. This list displays the items closest to you in meters by default, but you can change this. You interact with each item by right-clicking on it and then choosing from a serious of options.

As for clothing issues, I change clothes all the time and rarely have malfunctions. If someone in SL, be they sighted or blind, says they never have a waredrobe malfunction, I want to meet them. Lol. It is just part of it sometimes and we all find it pretty funny.

The issues being referred to here are from a lack of training. This just means you need to learn how to interact with Second Life more. Radegast is a viewer being built with the purpose of continuing to allow us to enjoy Second Life. With that being said, I understand SL isn't for everyone and I know not every blind person will find it enjoyable. But for me, I love exploring, hearing all the beautiful soundscapes, fishing and chatting with friends. I have made some lifelong friendships in-world and Virtual Ability is an amzing community.

I will post the Second Life website link below but you should sign up through Virtualability.org. Then go to Radegast.life to get the latest version of the Radegast viewer. When you log in, you will be teleported to Virtual Ability. Before you ever log in, however, you should e-mail Virtual Ability and set up a time for us to meet you in-world so we will be there to greet you and help you when you log in. There isn't always someone there at the welcome center and we can't be there if we don't know when you are coming in. So please contact us and we will help you in any way we can. This is what we do and we love it. Personally, I love seeing new blind users come in-world and gain their wings. I love seeing people learn and find their place in Second Life. It can be a rewarding experience but it does take time to learn.

Second Life's website, for reference only. The main viewer is not accessible:
http://www.secondlife.com

Marketplace is accessible though and it is a whole lot of fun. Lol.

I hope I have been able to answer some of your questions.

2019-12-12 06:06:47 (edited by heartssong 2019-12-12 06:37:19)

Boo15mario wrote:

I am not sure on how to use this client to do things in Second Life

Plese e-mail Virtual Ability so we can set up a time to work with you. Anyone wishing to come in-world should do this in order to have someone waiting as soon as you arrive.

Virtual Ability's website:
http://www.virtualability.org

We also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the user guide:
https://radegast.life/documentation/help/

2019-12-12 06:09:24 (edited by heartssong 2019-12-12 06:24:27)

blindndangerous wrote:

I did enjoy the fishing contests, but I kinda felt the same way as Ironcross said.  I'd like to see where this goes, so hopefully we hear from Roxley about this.

Blindanddangerous, wait until you see Fish Hunt! It is amazing. We can craft matterials and use potions. I love it. It is an awesome challenge to go head to head with sighted users who have no advantage over us when fishing. smile We are on an even playing field.
You also earn L$ every time you cast. The more experience points you gain, the more you earn. It will never be enough to use in RL, but in SL it can be handy.

For those who don't know: you don't have to have in-world currency and that is not why we fish. We fish for the fun of it. But I make enough to buy worms, etc.

Again, I really think you should come back in-world for a bit more training. A lot has changed since you were there last.

Cinder is planning to join here if she gets the chance. She is quite busy with the coding of Radegast. I am the main point person for the project here on Audio Games. I kind of wish I wasn't because I can't answer coding specific questions. Lol. So while I can't really answer coding questions, I can help with Second Life related things.

Here is the link to Radegast's website: radegast.life

2019-12-12 06:12:04 (edited by heartssong 2019-12-12 06:38:45)

ashleygrobler04 wrote:

so how do i actually get to play this game?
I went to the radegast page and downloaded some kind of client, and it doesn't have sound... is it supposed to have sounds or what? can any one please just guide me?

Yes, Radegast uses your screen reader and there are tons of in-world sounds.

We would love to help you; just go to Virtual Ability's website and e-mail for assistance. Then you will be put in contact with the training team who will assist you. I will be one of your trainers.

http://www.virtualbility.org

Please familiarize yourself with the help guide too:
https://radegast.life/documentation/help/

It will help a lot!

2019-12-12 07:25:17

Ok, but the thing is that i already signed up. is there a way for me to delete my account?
I signed up before even hearing about the virtual ability site... sorry! unless any one can help me with that.

best regards

2019-12-12 18:40:48

Same for me

2019-12-12 20:47:41

I have an account from long, long ago, so I would already have been signed up as well. I used to use SL to attend certain meetings when my vision was a bit better and I could muddle through with the official viewer.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-12-12 23:11:06

ashleygrobler04 wrote:

Ok, but the thing is that i already signed up. is there a way for me to delete my account?
I signed up before even hearing about the virtual ability site... sorry! unless any one can help me with that.

You are fine. Just contact Virtual Ability through e-mail and we will find you when you log in at the scheduled time. It is not optimal, but it works. I am honestly not sure about deleting SL accounts. I have never done that.

2019-12-12 23:12:40

For everyone who already has an account, just e-mail Virtual Ability and we will worry about finding you once you arrive in-world at the scheduled time. Familiarize yourselves with the help guide so you can chat with us and we'll do the rest. smile

2019-12-13 03:40:02

I think I managed to delete my account from the website.

It was quite some time ago so I don't remember how I managed it, but it was pretty straight forward.

I wasn't getting anywhere, like most people on here, so I figured I'd just delete my account and maybe sign up if ever things improved.

The client felt clunky, a combobox for objects, a combobox for points of interest, find them and teleport or walk., at least, that's how I use to use it, dunno if things have changed.

2019-12-31 05:29:56

I can definitely tell you things have changed. We don't use combo boxes. We use a full fledged program that allows us to navigate objects via an objects window. Objects are listed in a list and you right click on them to interact. Your inventory or SL closet works similiarly, although it is more of a standard windows format.

2019-12-31 05:34:07

Has anyone had a chance to look at the Radegast code?

2020-01-06 18:11:25

Can you tell me what language is used? I heard that it is written in C# but it is going for C++, but the repo is still in C#. Oh god...

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-01-27 21:51:50

Hi, I have finally found the time to create an account and post here. Heartsong has been poking me for quite some time to. I can address any sort of questions you have, but as a preliminary summary:

Radegast is written in C# and mainly relies on an underlying library called Libremetaverse which is also maintained by me and is written in C#. Radegast makes heavy use of WinForms which is how the Screenreader is able to grok it. There is inworld sound and audio, although most environments are set up visually. Such is the nature of most 3D worlds, and Linden Lab, the developers of Second Life have always considered it a very visual-centric place. Their client has very limited accessibility. Even as a sighted individual, I find the UI in the official client harsh and unfriendly to use. Objects in scenes are downloaded to the client in raw geometry formats so without a good description given by the object's creator many of whom do not consider labeling the objects well.

Anyway, so that's the basics. I have been working on a rewrite of the entire project in C++, but it is only about a year old and has very restricted and missing most functionality. So we are still plugging away at the C# codebase for the time being.

I would like to expand accessibility in many ways, but I am still somewhat new to this type of programming. I will be reading around the site and in the forum, and I will likely be asking advice in new threads about things like audio engines and screenreader-friendly frameworks to this end. Given that it is a virtual world, I would like to add some other kinds of cues about the world to make it more immersive such as an option to have ambient sounds for daytime vs nighttime, a better "radar" to announce when someone moves into close proximity, and things like that. I would really also like to ditch WinForms and the old UI which works but could be designed with a wider audience in mind.

2020-01-28 20:48:04

As land owners and businesses are being made aware of the accessability needs of the blind they are actively renaming their objects. I have found that most places are described well and if they are not, I contact the builder. smile

2020-01-28 20:48:34

So glad you have joined, Cinder. Now maybe you can answer these technical questions!