2019-12-06 23:05:59

I actually do think the idea of a multipurpose installer is a good one. It's a shame that the two that I know of which were made by other blind people, this one, which unfortunately has the baggage of the handbook attached to it, and, if I remember correctly, Multi Extra, which needs no more rehashing, don't have the best reputation.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-12-06 23:15:47

Just upload the thing with names replaced with fake ones to protect the innocent parties, that way people can make up their own minds instead of being told that it's bad and they can't see it.
Purposefully suppressing the entire thing is just going to lead to people asking someone who has the original document anyway, defeating the purpose of noooo we can't share it here.
Beyond real names it was 1: pretty dumb and 2: relatively tame anyway.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2019-12-06 23:24:26

Oh come on, it really is not that hard to share it through other means. This is like the argument about audio described content all over again.

I agree that most of it is pretty stupid though. The majority of people who read the thing will be sorely disappointed, so let them have their moment of anticipation. Maybe it will help them learn that A. delayed gratification is a thing, and B. wanting a thing strictly because it's forbidden rarely gets you anywhere. I say, let them obtain it on the DL, which will make them feel really important for the 45 seconds it takes to read it and realize there's nothing special about it. Better they learn that lesson through something relatively harmless, right?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-12-07 00:17:25 (edited by Exodus 2019-12-07 00:20:51)

People are curious but also lazy and would go for a link to the altered document if it was posted here.
Total suppression is just going to lead to the Streisand effect, only everyone is going to be sharing a document that has the personal details of real people in it.
Would that really be fair on whoever is named here? I'd rather the thing stayed buried myself because it is retarded, but here we are almost a year later and someone is bringing it up again. It stands to reason that in the future someone else is going to become curious about the legend of the blindie handbook and ask, prompting another round of sharing and potential harassment for the people named within.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2019-12-07 00:35:36

The damage is already done, let it lie. At this point, altering it and re-releasing it isn't going to have any effect.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-12-07 01:30:53

@30 precisely, which is why it was never again updated. That one release caused so much drama and strife... quite honestly, it's not worth going through all that again for any amusement. After rereading it last night because of this topic, I would be inclined to agree with @27, @28, and @29, there really isn't anything too special about it. A few things aren't strictly blind specific... it certainly isn't as if drama only happens in this community. Similar sighted communities experience drama, perhaps of a significantly different brand, yet drama nonetheless.
As some of the installers are, in fact, cracked, I don't believe the original package should be posted anywhere here. If you would like to remove those and replace them with the trial versions, that would be fine then.  It is especially important that the cracked Jaws be removed, as that should never have been included.
I personally would not like to see the handbook reuploaded, but, in saying this, I realize there is nothing I can do, because at this point, many people have a copy and it's only a matter of time before it gets linked to somewhere. However, because of all the controversy caused by the initial release, we will not be modifying or releasing any additional versions, nor would we prefer that it is brought to the forefront of the community's attention again.
blindessentials.com is in fact hosted by JC-Hosting, but has been down for just under a year now because it was never restored after their systems crashed in December 2018.  I have chosen to allow this to remain the case by not paying for the domain renewal, and so it shall be until, perhaps, the multiple program installer becomes a reality. However, this time, all credit will be given where credit is due, all developers will be linked to from the site so that the end user knows exactly where and what they're getting, and the package will contain no handbook. I agree, it is a fantastic idea, but one which may never happen. But if it does, this release will be more thought-out and hopefully, more useful and less controversial.
Thank you

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2019-12-07 03:52:53

Besides. There was literally a post from the creator apologizing for it. IT is entirely possible he may not want the full thing redistributed, i.e. he may be trying to start fresh, seeing as they weren't even trying to justify their actions just clearing the air.

2019-12-07 04:07:56

The internet has taught me a great number of things.  The greatest thing I've learned, however, is that silence is golden.  Put another way, as a quote from only goodness knows where says, "It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
The internet does not forgive; the internet does not forget!  Whatever you write or are given credit for or accused of, good or bad, famous or infamous, intelligent or down right stupid, remains forever immortalized, waiting for the next person to pounce upon it.  The author of the so-called blindy handbook seems to realize this to some degree as he is attempting to pay restitution in the only way he knows how, which is to not redistribute the material again.
I'm not excusing what he did, by the way... I may be mentioned in that book for all I know and thus would probably feel justified in blasting him left, right and center for daring to throw my name into the mud and drag it through the mire of life I already found difficult to navigate as it is... I don't know.  What I do know is that for every offense I've commited against any and every person who knows me, there is and will always be, a need for forgiveness...  I'll never stresss this enough; I need forgiveness.  As long as I'm alive, I'll always need it.
Wherever you are in life and whatever you're doing or getting ready to do will determine what happens next.  For every action there's a reaction; cause and effect walk hand in hand.  If I was mentioned in the book, I may not know why, but I do know I had a hand in it.  In some people's minds, I may be seen as the most evil of whistleblowers in the blind community, the guy who was more or less willing to take down and pull apart an entire moderation panel for some semblance of justice to be dealt where it may or may not have been needed.  This is something I'll never know.  What I do know is the part I played in it.  I also somewhat know some of the people it affected even if I don't know how it affected them.  I also know that I did it because I felt I had to, not because I truly wanted to.  Finally, I also know that I could not have brought myself to come back if one member of the moderation panel who will remain nameless unless they wish to step forward and declare themselves had not personally approached me and taken the time and the patience to invite me to come back.  If not for all that had happened in this story, I wouldn't be here right now.  For all of the above reasons, I suggest letting this nonsense lie as it is; the more of us who collectively look the other way, the better off we're all going to be.  There will, as I said previously, awlays be those who will, either out of curiosity or out of malice, feel the desire if nothing else, to bring it back up and create further friction.  What we can do is to try our best to keep it from getting out of hand.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-12-07 04:30:50

@Nocturnus My only question is how do you forgive someone that cast you in a bad light? I don't know if I can forgive him.

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2019-12-07 04:58:05

Agreed with turtlepower and ironcross. There's no good reason whatsoever why the document should be reuploaded in any form. Nobody wants to see the dramatic and edgy topics that would rise after the fact. It's not like we don't have enough drama going on already from day to day. Just let the past be the past. There is nothing for frequent visitors of this forum to learn from it. It's not worth bringing back up.

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2019-12-07 05:38:28

I read the handbook at one point. It was, in essence, an exercise in overgeneralization, mediocre writing, name drops, stereotypes and satire that missed its mark. At least in my opinion. I say let it stay dead, for the love of god.

Nocturnis, I'm not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I remember being upset when you wanted to disappear and all that. I don't know if someone else made a stronger effort to get you to come back or not, but either way, I've never had any serious quarrel with you, and would happily work alongside you despite last year. Hell, I agreed with most of what happened anyway, if not with the precise methods employed by most folks. There's another bit of drama we don't need to bring back too loudly, eh? lol

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-12-07 05:39:37

Everytime I read old topics I get hungry to read all the topics of the time. The times where the forum was unified. For the only  one reason of standing up to tyrany, or percieved tyrany.

Pessimism is good
It keeps you from making stupid mistakes
And keeps you safe
The heck with optimism

2019-12-07 20:44:59

Well, maybe someone can email me privately the book.
On the note of a multi installer, things are updated, can anyone remember the list of blindy programs that were actually in there.
I know ninite has some of these, it may be worth sending this list to them of at least the free ones.
While I may not give a multi installer as such, maybe I can compile a list of things.
I just need the original list and compair it to what list I have.
I often do this with family and others that I work for with their computers.
Sometimes people will get all the stuff they want, and crack the majority of it because they need it or think they do.
Often they don't have the time or knouse to find alternitives.
Having been a pirate and now using mostly low cost stuff freeware and opensource, I have had to substitute programs in fact I do this all the time on contract.
If I can get this list, I will try to compile it as a christmas present to this forum and the community at large.
As for the blindy handbook, you guys did say addition1 was safe.
Still I'd like to read the current addition even if its read and exterminate.
It may be a bunch of crap, but now I am curious I want to know what it is, after all one man's junk is another's treasure and I have a few days where I could do some of this stuff.
I have allready found a random drama to add to my growing list of things to do.

2019-12-07 21:00:05

@1 if you had a problem with the book, why did you wait all these months, after the topic was buried to talk about it?

Pics or it didn’t happen

2019-12-07 22:07:18

Yeah, everyone had pretty much forgotten about it and you drag it out what a year later?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-12-07 22:35:12

I never read this book, but it sounds like the authors single out people because they are drama queens and kings, they just want to bring shit up and make people look bad etc. Don't think for a single second that they didn't do it with bad thoughts in mind.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-12-08 01:08:46

I wonder what blind resources are there for free online streaming audio describe tv? Blindy.tv no longer is available for me, so does anyone know of any other safe sites? Thanks

2019-12-08 02:46:17

@Jayde You're right, and if I brought it back up it was only to showcase that anything you do is going to produce some kind of something or other, for better or worse.  It's not always something you can anticipate, but one should try to put his or herself in other people's shoes wherever possible.
And yes, I was referring to you.  To this day, you remain the only mod who reached out to me personally and said I should return.  To be quite honest it was one of the greatest surprises I ever got, which is saying something considering that just a little under a year before we had done the AHC contest and that generated a lot of exciting results.  You were pushy enough to get your point across, all the while remaining sensitive to the fact that it had been rather personal for me.
If there's anything that could closely compete with that it would be Aaron's suggestion that I should be head admin more or less by default; he believed I was capable... I must point out that I flat out refused to do it.  I felt that a person in that position must fulfill a rather tall order.  They must be a great listener, a great motivator who inspired productivity and creativity, a person ready to follow pacively to make others feel good about taking the wheel, but who was ready to take charge when all the chips were down and make decisive moves.  They must be intelligent, virtuous, multi-talented, willing to work under pressure, able to bring and or restore peace to and in the midst of chaotic situations, driven by integrity and a will that when tested is found to be tried and true.
Because I have never felt I fit that mold, I could not with a good conscience consider, let alone try to begin to accept such a position.  It was a rather touching gesture, however, and one I remember almost as fondly as the other.  If the other eclipses it, it's only because of its unexpected nature.  Here was me one night going through my emails and I've got one from Jayde that was more or less like, "Listen, you should really get yourself back here.  Forget what you said; everyone will look the other way and forgive you for thinking it was the end.  Tell them you cooled off.  Tell them you rethought things through.  Tell them whatever you have to, but come back and do what you do and be happy with us!"
And no, I'm not really quoting that word for word... I'm kind of doing it off the top of my head and even that somewhat subjectively...  I can honestly say that this is how I remember it and why it meant something to me coming from a guy who I previously saw as waaaaaaay too hard headed at times.  rofl

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-12-08 07:08:43

(post edited by Jayde to remove specific reference to sources of illegal content)

I unfortunately don't know a way to stream it, but you can download audio described content from various places  if they still exist

2019-12-08 07:26:20

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-12-08 16:35:20

Can confirm about the Teamtalk thing. Slack tends to be more favored for workplace communications and team organizing, while Discord has cornered the market on social communication with both text chat and  voice chat.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2019-12-08 18:36:03

Well discord is becoming more accessible.

2019-12-08 21:53:41

@RWBeardJR: I don't think we need to direct people to Blind Mice since it's still a legal grayarea even though you have to sign up, since we don't know where they get their content and distribution right (why they're so opaque about that is beyond me). After all, I honestly wonder why Serotech is dealing with them and integrating them in a paid subscription service if their activity is in question, unless of course they know something we don't. As for ***.net not sure if you did that one on purpose or if the mods moved it themselves.
Re, the handbook: I think the discussion has moved onto the software offerings now, since a shiny installer package for all the essential software would be nice. You'd be surprised how many people don't even know NVDA even exists, much less all this other useful software, and when they do it's like a whole new world exposed to them.
Regarding creating a compilation package,  does that count as ilicit redistribution even if we provide links to where to get the original package? I know some conventionally licensed software is pretty anal about redistribution even if the package is free. Admittedly, stipulating that software only be downloaded from a developer's site and nowhere else has its benefits as well, they can get metrics on how many users they have which could help in future developments, and it also is a safety net should those sleesy download.com sites get the bright idea to distribute adware laced versions of a developer's software offerings.

2019-12-09 03:49:37

@44 thanks for the recommendations, I love blind mice mega mall and the movie vault!!! The only thing is that I don’t like about the movies and tv shows is you have to use “send space”I have never heard of the other sites. Are they safe?

2019-12-09 04:58:37

Wait, isn't mentioning places to obtain audio described movies an nonallowed thing? I thought it was, considering there was a sh*t fest being thrown a while ago, unless I'm thinking about something else.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."