2019-11-21 19:42:16

I'm not sure if this is in the right room, so somebody please correct me if I've put this in the wrong place. I wasn't originally going to make a topic about this, but it's become a recurring issue. If someone has a purchase request, or they're stuck at a puzzle in a game and need help getting past it, make a post in the sticky topic at the top of General Game Discussion and make a topic asking for help for each respective issue. Please do not message me on Skype and say

Do you have a key for me

and please don't message me on Facebook Messenger asking me how to get past a certain area in one of the BK games. I've had both of these things happened to me this year. I had one person send me an email asking for help with one of the BK games, but I was very busy and didn't have time to explain it. When I didn't respond to the email, they looked for me on Skype, and when I didn't respond there, they looked me up on Facebook. My Facebook is private and it's mainly reserved for close friends, so please don't add me or message me on there. It felt very harassing to have someone look me up everywhere to ask me for help over and over. If you ask me the same question twice and I can't or don't answer for some reason, please don't push. I also recently had someone message me on Skype at about 5:00 AM to ask for a game key after I made that post in the game purchase request topic specifically asking people to post their requests in that topic. I've stopped excepting random Skype requests from people now because I used to get added into groups that I wanted no part of, and now I reserve my Skype for people I trust as well. I'm not trying to be harsh, but I need my privacy.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2019-11-21 19:46:54

I feel that this is a good place to put this, and i feel like this is something that is worth putting up here. Its good to know that the very community is like this, i did not really know that. SO, if i need help getting through a certain part of manamon, i should put it in the topic or make a post, i'm confused about that part but i do get everything else.

2019-11-21 19:56:03

If you need help with Manamon two, it'd probably be a good idea to either ask your question in this topic, or to make a new one. For Manamon one, I'd just make a new topic.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2019-11-21 20:20:12

Or, as people like to say, forum.audiogames.net/search.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-21 20:40:10

You really do not understand even the rudiments of human psychology, do you.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-11-21 21:15:17

This really proves I should stick to my word for my own personal benefit, but here we go...
the rudiments of human psychology as you put it are irrelevant. Think of me what you will, but no matter who you are, if you're a human being on this planet, you have a right to your privacy. It's your job as a human being to respect the privacy of your fellow humans. If you don't, you're a jerk. I suppose this means that I could come into your house and invade your privacy all I want, right? Of course it's alright, because if you complain and say

Please don't come into my house, this is my private life.

I can retort with

I'm glad we could come to this mutual understanding.

--------------------

2019-11-21 21:38:36

Would just like to mention that
1. This topic is in the wrong room and has been moved.

2. More importantly... The couple people who had the audacity to perform such a ghastly action are most likely able to handle a kind  pointer in another direction. You're making a tempest in a teapot man.

Dan_Gero wrote:

I had one person send me an email asking for help with one of the BK games, but I was very busy and didn't have time to explain it. When I didn't respond to the email, they looked for me on Skype, and when I didn't respond there, they looked me up on Facebook. My Facebook is private and it's mainly reserved for close friends, so please don't add me or message me on there. It felt very harassing to have someone look me up everywhere to ask me for help over and over.

Oh god cry me a river you poor thing. Sure, attempting to relentlessly contact someone via many different mediums is over the top... But sounds to me like a one-time deal. If I send you an email asking a question, and you don't respond within a reasonable timeframe, I may move on in the case that you no longer use that account. For decent folks all it takes is a simple "I got it, but no." Done deal.

Dan_Gero wrote:

I also recently had someone message me on Skype at about 5:00 AM to ask for a game key after I made that post in the game purchase request topic specifically asking people to post their requests in that topic.

Hate to break it to ya, but this is the internet and that was a skype chat. The internet doesn't have a universally accepted quiet time. I'm sorry if I don't check your profile before shooting off a quick message in the attempt to preserve your beauty sleep. You want uninterrupted sleep, turn off your damned devices. Common sense anyone?

Dan_Gero wrote:

now I reserve my Skype for people I trust as well. I'm not trying to be harsh, but I need my privacy.

I've got an outlandish idea. Ready? Here it comes. If you don't want to be contacted through Skype, you should... ... ... Remove the ID from your profile.
Quit blaming everyone else.

This is what people mean when we say your posts come across as entitled, childish and for lack of a better term whiny. God am I glad the community and greater world doesn't have this mindset.

2019-11-21 21:44:49

Carter, I probably wouldn't make a big deal out of it, if people didn't do this all the god damn fucking time, alright? It's getting old, and you guys getting pissed at me for standing up for myself is getting old too! Quit making me look like an asshole! There's nothing wrong with me asking people to give me some privacy!

--------------------

2019-11-21 21:48:10

Also, I didn't get woke up, I found out it was sent at 5 in the morning when I opened up Skype and checked the time stamp on the message. This was after I told people, please do not message me privately. I already said this once, why the fuck should I have to say it a second time?

--------------------

2019-11-21 22:08:33

Ok, ok. Calm down.
What Carter is saying is that addressing them directly about it, rather than making a whole topic about it blowing the issue out of proportion, would have been a better approach. Has it not occurred to you that people are from different timezones? Ok, asking you for a key? Not cool. But getting all up in arms when people are asking for help, when you yourself didn't even respond to say look dude I'm busy, sorry about that, will get back to you later? Sure, you asked them not to do that but perhaps the way you could approach it could be a little less aggressive. Don't assume you know what the person is thinking, not everyone has ill intent. Carter's right, if you put your id out there people are naturally going to look you up because well why not? It's out there. Also, harassing messages? REally? I mean God forbid they be malicious which apart from asking for a key, it looks like none of them are. Skype groups are a different thing altogether, and that just boils down to doing skype contact clean-outs every now and then.

2019-11-21 22:51:58

ironcross32 wrote:

Frankly I don't get the point of such posts. That kind of tone isn't gonna ' give the guy a flash of insight to ponder the rudiments of human psychology. It's just going to trigger his defense impulses, which I dare say is another rudiment of psychology, and make him mad. That's just going to make his reputation worse than it is. I imagine some people couldn't care less about that, but it just feels wrong to me. We've seen time and time again how these posts are taken, and at best the remark is ignored, at worst it turns into a mess for all involved. But ya know, I'm weird, maybe I'm not getting something here.

@Dan_Gero I'm going to try and explain what Carter was saying in a way that doesn't fire you up. The rest of you can ridicule me for having the patience, but whatever.

First thing's first, I do get where you're coming from, but this just sounds like you're frustrated and doesn't seem like a real problem. In post 1, I counted no more than 2 times you said people were bothering you about something in the past year... Well this year is almost over, so in 10 and a half months, you've been bugged by two people, which is hardly worth noting. then later you come in and say it's happening all the damn time which creates contradiction. Yes, you don't have to detail every occasion this has happened to make your case known, but the way you have written it, it more or less sounds like you are just getting mad at normal activity.

If someone is bothering you by e-mailing, Skyping, then Facebooking you, let them know that you have received their messages and that you would greatly appreciate it if they left it go until you had a chance to respond. That only takes a few seconds to do, and preferably, you would acknowledge you got their message before it got to that point. Just a simple e-mail response saying "I'll check into it when I have more time" speaks volumes, and by the sound of it, you didn't do that. You might argue that you shouldn't have to, but... I think this is probably what Ironcross was getting at... if you say nothing, the psychological message is conflicted. The person doesn't know ' if you A, read their message, B, are using another account so didn't get their message, or C, care about their message. In any of those cases, they are, for better or for worse, likely going to pester you until they get some acknowledgement from you. Now, if you've told them you've seen their messages, said you'll get back to them, asked them to kindly leave you be for a bit, and they continue to harass you on a daily basis, and you've done everything you can to stop them from bothering you or to get away from them, and they just continue to harass you, then we have a problem. But until you can convince me that is indeed the truth, I am going to believe that  impatient people are just being impatient people and you're just going to have to quietly deal with it like everyone else does. If you really are annoyed with them, use that block button. It's there for that reason. But that  imho is more callous than just ignoring the messages, which seems to be what you're doing. I myself only use the block button when people seem unable to hear a simple request to leave me alone or stop doing something I find particularly annoying. For the record, I can't even remember the last time I had to block somebody for being annoying, since if it got bad enough I would just keep my distance from them and let them know I saw their message but can't get to it for a while. So long as I followed through and actually did respond at some point, they normally came to understand that I in fact did see their messages and would get to them, so they would eventually stop being so persistent after they built up some trust that I wasn't callously casting them aside. I think trust is key here, or at least part of the key.

Yes, I get it that people don't look before they message you, that you said "please use topics X and Y to ask these questions," and they pester you about it anyway. I know that can be annoying but it happens all the time, and like I say, quietly dealing with it is probably the best thing to do. The way I see it, there's standing up for yourself in a time of real harassment, and then there's venting out your frustration on people who probably don't deserve much of it. I'm not going to take sides here on how you're coming off since the community will likely take care of that nicely, and besides I don't know you very well. But I'll say this much: posting in fits of frustration and anger is something I'm noticing more in you, and it rarely does any good. Of course, when people say things you don't want to hear, that gets you fired up, and you post in angry retaliation, which just makes things worse. I caution you to be careful as I see this turning into another pointless flame war. But I do hope to be proven wrong.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-11-21 23:15:04

Yeah, I see your point, and I will admit I do have anger issues. Over the years I’ve learned to suppress those anger issues, but every now and again somebody will say something that triggers me. Ever since some personal things I don’t wish to talk about cropped up, those issues came back to the point where they’re pretty much uncontrollable again. It doesn’t happen all the time anymore, but a few years ago it did. I’ll admit it hasn’t happened lately and that was merely emotions going into that post.

--------------------

2019-11-21 23:39:42

It is currently 15:33 hours CDT. Today, alone, I have received a total of 30 emails in my personal account. Yesterday I received a total of 41 emails. I have a total of 29,744 (and counting) unread emails. In my inbox, mind.
So, I get quite a lot of emails every day over the span of 24 hours. When I was subscribed to far more active lists like the EDK2 development mailing list I got over 80 a day. Did I go and rage about it on here? Did I rage at the mailing list because I had requested non-batched emails and wanted them to pipe it down in there? Nope, I simply unsubscribed and resubscribed to the list I actually wanted to subscribe to (the EDK2-RFC mailing list).
Now, your not being subscribed to a mailing list. Your not subscribing to one to get all of these "bothersome" emails. But the same concept applies: your going to get far more emails in your inbox than you know what to do with. Selectively disregard those that you could care less about and read the ones you believe are important. If its happening on another platform, either (kindly!) inform the offenders that you'd like them to stop pestering you, or ignore them.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-11-22 02:49:32

I never said you didn't deserve privacy. I was trying to avoid saying that you sound whiny and entitled, which is how you come off 95% of the time. I wrote that post because you really don't understand that now you've asked for people to stop, you're probably going to get more messages than ever before. What, you're too good for the block button? You can't put skype on do not disturb, or control Q it, you can't turn on focus assist in windows so you stop getting notifications, you can't turn off speakers, etc? Come on man, grow up a little and stop blaming everyone else for your problems. You're overdramatizing this and blowing it way out of proportion.

Also, you say you've worked on your anger issues? All I can do is snort derisively to that statement.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-11-22 03:16:00

I have, because for the past 11 months I was with better people who taught me to be a better person. Now I’m around shitty people all the time, how do you expect me to act?

--------------------

2019-11-22 06:10:07 (edited by musicalman 2019-11-22 06:14:30)

Dan_Gero wrote:

For the past 11 months I was with better people who taught me to be a better person. Now I’m around shitty people all the time, how do you expect me to act?

Right there. Problem. Being around shitty people might shorten your temper, give you less patience etc. but under no circumstances should you use that as an excuse to justify behavior. Right now you're effectively saying, "Being around shitty people makes me/allows me to snap at innocent people." You're not going to keep many friends if that is how you justify outbursts.

I'm not saying you have no reason to feel the way you do, but there is a right way and a wrong way to handle frustration, and sometimes it's just better to let things go, sort them out, take a break etc. And I get it. Sometimes you just want to stand up for yourself and push for what you want because you're tired of sitting back and saying nothing. But again, there's a good and a bad way to do that. Coming on a public forum and venting your frustration out to people whom, as I said in my last post, probably don't deserve it, isn't a splendid idea especially when that is what you're known for doing here. Then jumping into flames when people call you out doesn't make you look particularly good. I admit I felt a little bad for you and angry at the people who called you out on whining, but now I'm beginning to see why they feel the way they do. That said, I have nothing personally against you and I don't want to be too judgmental. We all have our personalities, faults, difficulties and stress. But right now I doubt this is going anywhere nice or productive, and I, perhaps rashly, want to help you so you don't make things worse for yourself. I'd say the best thing you can do from here is just reread the advice given, talk to the people who are harassing you, and let the matter drop.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-11-22 06:31:45

The other thing was that when I was in training, I had a councilor who I could vent to if something or someone pissed me off. That's why I hardly ever lost my shit with someone when they pissed me off, because I had a professional who I could vent to. Kind of hard to see a counselor who's now on the other side of the country. No, it's not right for me to take my anger out on the community, but I have no other options.

--------------------

2019-11-22 07:39:36

Dan_Gero wrote:
No, it's not right for me to take my anger out on the community, but I have no other options.
Honestly, I do not believe that's true. You just need to look harder for options that will help you. I'm pretty sure with the proliferation of technology that we have today, there are people on hotlines that can listen to you vent and help you with these issues.
My first suggestion: take your email and skype ID out of your profile. If you want to keep those semi-private, and not flooded with requests, delete those contact information from where people on this forum can see it.
I also disagree with the sentiment that living with crappy people gives you the right to be crappy to others. This shows to me (a relatively not in-the-know bystander) that you are following the example of others, even when it's negative. Following positive examples are good, but a good skill to have is  the ability to know when you're being led the right way and when you're being led the wrong way. Be the better person in those situations, and maybe they will get better as well.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-22 11:53:00

Hi.

Hmm, I partly get Dan-Geros problem.

Personally speaking if I don't get a reply via E-Mail, i wouldn't go so far and see if the guy has facebook or skype and contact him there, that's a big nono for me if he hasn't specifically said that you are allowed to contact him there.

People who do that mostly receive a block button to the face and I'm done with that.

I give out my E-Mail, you contact me by E-Mail and nothing else if I don't want it, simple as that.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-11-22 11:54:59

#17, then don't vent to us. We are not your councillor.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-11-22 12:43:19

So you're basically using us to fulfill your need to socialize, while at the same time, shoving your entitled whiny attitude in our face. How is that OK? Would this kind of thing be tolerated in real life? I don't think it would. Whoever you were talking to would probably just get up and leave; so this leaves me wondering, why do you think it's OK to do it online.

I think you need more than just a counselor, you need help in channeling your feelings into something productive, or at least into something less destructive. That's something you need to navigate though. We're not your counselors, and no where does it state in the forum's rules or FAQ that you can get professional help here. In truth, I wouldn't mind it if people wanted to PM me and talk privately about their issues. I've helped people in the past get through rough patches, including getting past the urge to commit suicide, so I'm open to talk to people, but that doesn't mean everyone is, and it doesn't mean you can or should push this on us so hard.

This is what I see. Someone constantly shoving their nose into someone else's business because they just want to be heard. That's what you are doing right now. Though I will admit that I probably see things related to you a bit skewed because of my bias against you due to this constant personality thing of yours that just puts me off.

If you want anonymity, go on Reddit, there's even a sub called /r/vent, you can join that, and start posting about blindie drama all day long.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-11-22 22:21:14

@Simba Hard life lesson. If you want privacy, get off Bookface. Or more realistically, limit your activity on there/try to get off the platform. Self-included. I am slowly moving off the platform. IT is not within my conscience to use the most privacy-unfriendly network (they're more blatantly out for blood than even Google is as far as data, trust me). And if friends/family keep you on the platform because it's the, quote, only way to keep up, then kindly tell them where to stick it. The same people who tell the younger gneration things like, you can live without this or that, can live without Facebook just as well, and can find other ways to communicate. The lesson? If you're not actively working your way off the platform, you're really in no position to come vent to us about wanting privacy (sorry, it's true.) You want privacy, be an activist in the fight for it. I don't say this out of hostility, this is just harsh reality; practice what you preach. If you want privacy so much then act on it. Facebook has methods in place that allow you to let people in by invite only. Freaking use them. Otherwise people are going to be able to look you up by email/full name, easy. Not just people. Your standardized test companies can if they put two and two together (I'm not talking out of my ass, I sadly found this out the hard way when I saw College Board on my list of advertisers who caught hold of my data).
But I digress. If you need to ven t about something that seems like it might be a trivial matter for the rest of us, contact people privately and we'll be happy to help. Do not go had-on and post it on the forum, acting on impulse rather than clear thought.
And not that you aren't trying this already, but limiting your interactivity with crappy people as much as humanly possible if you know they're bad for you can do yourself a massive favor. It's true what people say that crappy people isn't necessarily an excuse to act in the same way, but negative energy spreads and it's not easy to avoid getting losing your shit.

2019-11-26 08:59:00

It is true that negative people breed negative energy, but you have choices on how you express that. It can be very hard to live with people who are stuck in their ways and unable to do or say much of anything that doesn't involve blaming others for their own problems. I speak from personal experience on this. While I have my own issues related to these types of things, and I'd never deny that, you have to understand that fighting fire with fire isn't going to help, either. I get the impression that you're not doing this deliberately, but you are shifting blame where it's not warranted. You don't want people contacting you at all hours? There are lots of ways to solve that problem. I can't understand where all this frustration is coming from, in other words. I would be willing to bet that if you talked to one of the well-known devs in the audio gaming community, you'd understand that they receive far more relentless contact, both fan and hate mail, than you can even begin to imagine. Put yourself in their shoes. This is, in all honesty, a very poor example--I could have gone with celebrities, or any number of marginalized groups, on the other side of the spectrum--but it seemed the most relevant way to explain this given where we're posting right now. If any of the aforementioned groups or individuals can learn to filter out unwanted contact, surely you can, too, in whatever way suits you best.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-11-26 09:18:44

Hi.

At Jack well, my facebook usage has quite drastically changed over the years.

Back in the day when I was just discovering Facebook I posted all kinds of bullshit, the stuff you post as a 14 year old kid who didn't know how the world worked basically.

Over the last years though this whole thing changed. I quid posting every random crap I saw, cut a few strings to blindy organisations and blind people I could give a shit about and turned it into a feed where you would find stuff about my political views, horses, tech and metal stuffage.
Facebook is mostly just there for group interactions, managing my FB page and keeping in contact with some people who don't yet have another means of comunication.

I am not findable by googling my name, I tried that multiple times now and the only thing you would find is my youtube channel and my twitter profile.
I could live a life without facebook in all honesty, although there are some things as I said i am still keeping it around for.
But yes, it turned from from my public life diary to a blindy free.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.