2019-11-09 12:45:57

hi everyone.
I've recently started using reaper with a midi keyboard. Most of the instruments that are out there work with kontakt only, and I have some questions about it.
is this software accessible?
will I be able to use it with reaper?
will I be able to play instruments with it using my midi keyboard?
any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

2019-11-09 16:07:30 (edited by chrisfaelnar 2019-11-09 16:12:09)

Yes. The kontakt is accessible through scripts that gian luca provided. Or you can have a komplete kontroll access. I am using xps30 with kontakt script. But note, some kontakt libraries are not accessible via osara parammiter. I mean, there are lots and lots of unlabeled buttons there

2019-11-09 20:42:36

Yeah, I'd trade that midi keyboard in for a Komplete Kontroller. You will have accessibility for a lot of instruments and plugins like never before, and no other company can compete with the level of access they're providing on a midi controller thus yet.

2019-11-09 22:18:14

the problem here is that I can't afford buying the komplete kontroler yet, so I have to use my digital piano as a midi keyboard.
Given the fact that I'm using NVDA, is there anything like an add-on that I could use to access Kontakt somehow?

2019-11-09 22:19:35

sorry for the double post, just want to thank you for your answers

2019-11-10 00:18:08

Agree with Jack. The fact that most virtual instrument manufacturers make instruments for Kontakt (with a few notable exceptions, like Spitfire and EastWest, maybe)? They usually have some pretty good deals around Black Friday (not sure how they do that stuff internationally), but they have had good deals.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-10 07:01:48

Eastwest uses their own Play vst, which is nks ready.
@St.MC: You can sell the midi keyboard and I'm sure you'll get a good deal on it. How many keys does it have? Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol M32 is $130 or there abouts, and while cheap in price you can bet it isn't cheap in quality. GReat value, durable keyboard, the keys aren't even that tiny compared to others, and it's genuinely portable! Plus it will make your life a hell of a lot easier when dealing with Kontact...trust me on this.

2019-11-10 07:20:10

This gives me hope for when I decide to get back into soe music production.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-11-10 07:45:40

@leibylucw Waves CEntral is also completely accessible, so purchasing nks ready plugins is easier than ever, and since you don't have to take up anyone's time by using the software, you can now finally download demos freely!

2019-11-10 08:20:20

Oh. If that's the case, then Composer-Cloud is seriously looking mighty nice right about now.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-10 09:45:27

AS a user I can say that it most certainly is. Not only is it a good deal, but their tech support is friggin fantastic. The rep stuck around up until I had everything under control to be able to subscribe and install it. The good thing is that even if you cancel your subscription, the instrument data will remain on your samples drive, so it is indeed able to be backed up to another drive if need be as the only thing covered by the pace licenser is the actual plugin, which will obviously refuse to load if you don't have an active subscription. The advantage to that however is that when you come back your instruments will be just as you left them.

2019-11-10 19:16:10

@jack I'm using my digital piano as a midi keyboard, so I don't think I'd sell it. I'd like to start with what I have at the moment, perhaps I'll spend some money on it later. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'd like to do basic things with kontakt, mostly playing instruments. Aren't even basic things like loading instruments manageable with NVDA?

2019-11-10 21:11:27

Yes, but the script is a paid product, and while there's a demo it's pretty minimal unless you're a Komplete hardware User. And are you saying this digital piano contains instruments? Is it a full setup or just a piano? Even if you can choose instruments you still will have a hard time doing parameters in your daw without the hardware support.
There's a good chance that if you were to use Komplete there would be an NKS-ready software instrument package that is comparable to that of the digital piano, plus there's Eastwest Composer Cloud if you want access to an entire instrument collection at $20 or $30 a month.

2019-11-10 22:58:22

Yeah. Honestly if your digital piano can't do USB connection (which I doubt it can, because I assume it's running on MIDI ports), I would suggest selling your audio interface, because you can get the m32 that does way more of what you would want.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-10 23:13:18

I actually have a question in regards to using products like Massive. Unfortunately, because I got the 61-key model (because I thought it would be the best for me), I can't really fit it in my dorm room, and I hbven't had much time to experiment. Is there a way to build presets from scratch with Massive or other synths, and also to play different parts of the instruments in Session Horns (i.e. just controlling the trumpet)? Trying to figure this out so I know what I'm doing.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-11 00:15:20

You can, there is a Komplete access script for nvda that will allow you to access the batch resave command with a keyboard shortcut. The demo should be sufficient since you have the built in accessibility of the hardware, but the KOmplete Kontrol software ui is still not quite there yet.

2019-11-11 09:11:54

thanks for all your answers and recommendations.
@13 and 14
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by a full setup regarding my digital piano. It's a Casio Celviano  AP420, and I can change instruments with it, but it's only limited to the built in instruments. I don't think changing instruments would work with a software

2019-11-12 00:05:55

You're shortchanging yourself if you hold on to a Casio. Yamaha Motif/Tyros4/Roland I'd understand, but if it's like the Casio I used to have, your keyboard may not even have aftertouch/velocity-sensitive keys. Plus the samples don't sound as good as other machines could. It holds significant market value for someone who isn't concerned with that though, so you could sell that thing and get a Komplete M32. Trust me. There's a whole new world of instrument control waiting for you on the other side. Check out www.kk-access.com.

2019-11-12 00:18:00

And I would assume if you wanted to use it with Kontakt, you would still need an audio interface to connect your Cassio piano. Agree with Jack: you should sell it.
And unfortunately, because my Windows computer isn't that good, I'm sticking on the Mac side since I already bought Logic. Are there any Voiceover scripts?

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-12 00:35:04

Sadly none that I know for Kontact directly. And yes. There's really no benefit to keeping an old school controller when the hardware-software integration of Komplete Kontrol is butter-smooth.

2019-11-12 02:01:56

There is something Kontact users also can and should look into. Project Sam makes orchestral libraries that are nks ready, so work with Komplete
Kontrol hardware very nicely. A accessible orchestral library right out of the box. How bout that?
They're giving away one of these, so go and enter to win and pass it along.
http://giveaway.alexpfeffer.co/ref/uB28606584/

2019-11-12 09:45:18

Hi all.
Where can i find scripts for kontakt? And is  screen resolution affect their work?
thanks in advance.

2019-11-12 16:40:06

Haccess4music.com

2019-11-12 20:59:39

I use my Yamaha YPG235 keyboard in parallel with my M32.  I mainly use the M32 for quick access and the hardware accessibility, but use the 235 for actual compositions and what not.  WOrks easier that way for me.    I also use the FSL NKS script for Omnisphere 2.    Best setup for me, personally. 

For that Casio, I'd definitely trade it for an M32.  it's still a digital keyboard so you're not losing that, but you'll also get the hardware integration with accessibility.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2019-11-13 16:05:00 (edited by deathtime 2019-11-13 16:06:10)

Hi.
23, thanks, but i have a problem. When i opened kontakt in bridged window, launched this script and tryed to load an instrument, pressing ctrl+alt+l, nvda says that i need to close browser window, pressing ctrl+alt+w. I pressed ctrl+alt+w, nvda says closing the browser window, but nothing happens. I tryed to load an instrument for second time, but again, this message. Anyone knows how to fix it?
Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.