2019-11-07 03:29:25

So unfortunately VoiceOver on Mac for whatever reason has weird issues with reading all errors that come in. Does anyone recommend any command line tools for Windows (that isn't the command prompt), so that I can run Java and do everything that I could in the Gnu/Linux terminal?

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-07 03:58:15 (edited by leibylucw 2019-11-07 04:03:10)

Windows PowerShell.
Also, what's the reason for staying away from CMD? PowerShell operates very similarly.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-11-07 04:08:08

I'm just not sure because it seems like they require separate types of commands, compared to the Mac/Linux terminal which I have heard is more fully featured.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-07 04:47:25

You can get those commands using something like Scoop.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-11-07 05:08:38

Thanks. Will definitely check this out!

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-07 17:47:34

You can also use git bash which is basically an emulation of the linux terminal on windows, you can even use ssh and type cd /users/username/downloads and other good things like that.

For me, the new coding age begins!

2019-11-07 18:04:04 (edited by zakc93 2019-11-07 18:07:33)

I've always used tera term which works well for me, but haven't tried any of the other mentioned ones so they might be better.

2019-11-07 18:08:07

If I need to do something command-line heavy in Windows, I've long since accepted the fact that Linux is the better option for this. So I just install a Linux distro using Windows Linux Subsystem and now you have an emulated Linux.

Plus, it mounts your Windows drives in /mnt, and NVDA works well with the terminal.

2019-11-07 18:09:12

SSH is a part of Windows by default now and has been for a while now. Similarly, windows supports paths wit slashes in them. Scoop provides things like coreutils, java, gcc, clang, etc. TerraTerm is designed as an SSH terminal and not as a general-purpose terminal. (The command-line OpenSS lient is far better, IMO, then TerraTerm.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-11-07 18:22:10

Oh sorry I didn't read the first post properly, went from "do everything I can in the linux terminal" to assuming the intention is to ssh into linux.

2019-11-07 18:28:35

Wow lots of posts. Thanks all for the help.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-07 20:47:21

Agreed with @8. Compiling assembly/c is especially optimal in WSL. It's easy to install and use. Having GCC makes life so much easier on Linux than having to use MinGW. I think it would be safe to say that Linux is usually preferred in the dev realm.

2019-11-07 22:07:09

I've heard that WSL is finicky to set up. Are there any good articles that walk you this the steps to installing it? I have heard that there's a lot of configuration that has to be done, so I'm trying out the different options. I downloaded GitBash, but JAWS for whatever reason doesn't read the characters coming in, but NVDA isn't speaking the characters and words that I type. Hopefully WSL will help this.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-08 01:20:26

WSL is as simple as downloading a distro from the Microsoft App Store. I choose the Ubuntu version.

2019-11-08 01:55:10

Okay. I'll try that. Thanks!

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-08 04:22:02

Agreed with @14. Easy to set up and hardly any configuration goes into it.

2019-11-09 15:44:41

if you have windows 10 then WSL is in my eyes the clear winner. much much easier to set up than a linux VM. got a new laptop couple weeks back, literally took couple minutes to set up WSL, and then just waiting for it to download and install.

at work I have to use windows 7, so there I use cygwin, which provides a bash shell like on linux and the basic utilities, but not nearly as good as WSL as it requires to recompile programs you want to run in it instead of just fetching using a package manager like apt.

I have to say that along with virtual desktops, WSL is my favorite feature of windows 10. I normally use linux for the terminal, so WSL for me is better than having a straight out linux distro.