2019-10-07 17:47:45 (edited by zkline 2019-10-07 17:49:49)

Yeah, I have yet to try the Star Trek mod, the customizations I've messed with so far are just for the base game. I'd love to eventually get everything working. It's just got enough slight gotchas and limitations that I hesitate to mention it more widely, just because 1920x1080 is pretty much a required resolution, etc. ,

2019-10-07 19:20:59

Hmmm does stelariss playable with screen reader?

2019-10-07 19:28:39

@Milos: As he said, you need OCR. And i think you will need a certain mod for the controls.
The only problem i see with Stellaris is, that there is no playable demo for this and the game costs 40 Euros. Thats pretty much for a game you cant test before you buy it.

2019-10-07 19:32:28 (edited by zkline 2019-10-07 19:36:28)

Yeah. There is a mod someone is working on which helps make it more playable, and we’ve been working on a hotspot file for Golden Cursor which works at a particular screen size. there is a small group of people who have been playing it, but things can still be improved.

2019-10-07 21:09:39

Uuhf, i maybe found a not so nice problem. How do i reach Beta Ceti with the g-Command? The blank between beta and ceti causes an error.

2019-10-07 21:31:56

Okay. Just put quote marks around anything that has spaces in it, "like this." It's a command line convention, and unfortunately rather hard to fix the way it's coded.

ALternately, just refer to that system by number, though that's a little more annoying.

2019-10-07 22:00:28

Yeah, i found out to do it by using the Numbers. But the other way i like more.
Does the numbers mean anything? I mean, can i allways fly from 10 to 11 and so on, or can 11 be far away from 10?

By the way: Could you explain in more simpler words than the manual how researchpoints are arise and where i can find my money?
Oh, and how to upgrade a missile base.
The manual dont explain the command-syntax.

2019-10-07 22:25:57

Firefly, okay, I'll try my best to explain how all this works. smile

The numbers are internal to the game, as far as I can tell, they don't have anything to do with distance. Sometimes close numbers can  be close together but that's generally a coincidence and shouldn't be depended upon for anything.

Research points are one of the things your production goes into. Your planet produces something which they call billions of credits, or BC. That depends on the number of factories you have, and your technology, population produces a certain number of them, I think factories always produce just 1 per factory, but the number your population produces goes up as you research.

The BC get spent  by the production sliders. I'm not sure if there's a BC to RP conversion anywhere, but basically the higher your research slider the more income your planet will produce. If you type the "emp," command, you will get an overview of how much you make in total, where it's going, and where it comes from. A lot of the time you don't need to really worry about specific planets once you set the sliders one way, you can generally leave them there a few turns without issues. One of the things people love about MOO is the lack of micromanagement.

Missile bases are paid for with the "d/defense," slider. They are automatically upgraded as you get new weapons technology, as long as you spend BC on defense. If you don't have enough to upgrade them all, it will show "upgrade," next to the defense slider, which just means you need to increase the slider a bit more to do so. Once all your bases are upgraded, further defense spending just builds new bases or planetary shields, if you have the tech for that.

Factories are built with the i/industrial slider. These are controlled by your population, each  can control up to 2 factories at the start of the game, and  as with many things in the game this increases with technology. Robotic controls allow you to have more factories controlled by fewer people. If you've reached the maximum number of factories you can support, "MAX," is displayed next to that slider. Factories start at out, I think, 10 Bc per factory and decrease gradually in cost as tech increases.

Finally, ecology is used for keeping your planets waste-free as well as terraforming them, which increases the population maximum among other things. It's generally best to keep your planets as waste-free as you can, though this can be hard if you need to spend 30% or more of your production on just that alone. Again, there's technology to gradually make it easier to do this.

Hope this helps. smile

2019-10-07 22:41:49

HAHA, thanks! It helped in details! I will check out some things tomorrow! Damn, i love this game!
In a certain way it is such a shame that the accessibility came up by coincidence. Cause it is exactly what we still missed here in our comunity.
I wish that there would be more of those great interfaces for similar games!
HAHA and i would love to play MOO online.

2019-10-07 22:58:56

I should say that the thing about MOO is that the different races have small perks which change the way the game works. For instance, the Meklar can control more factories faster than other races, the Silicoid are able to colonize worlds faster because they don't worry about hostile environments, and the  Klackon grow faster than other races because they are literally bugs.

THe re-creation apparently does support multiplayer locally, but not online. I've never tried this personally. The original MOO 1 only supported single player against the AI.

2019-10-08 04:26:39

FOr anyone interested, here's something I just discovered tonight.

1OOM, the re-created game engine, is set up by default to try and emulate MOO asclosely as possible. THis includes emulating some bugs and other slightly odd behavior. There is a way to patch the game at run-time to fix some of the issues. CHeck into thedoc/ directory, and particularly the various files with names starting with list. In particular, the deterministic entry and option to get news upon conquest of orion are interesting, along with many of the otheroptions.

To make and apply patches, you need to use the 1oom_pbxmake program and a file containing the items you want to patch. THis requires use of the command line, but might be worth it if you want to try out some of these fixes. THere's also one related to the space amoeba FIrefly encountered. smile

I just thought this might be of interest to some people on here smile

2019-10-08 09:01:07

This is absolutely of interest for me. Can you give some instructions how exactly to patch this stuff, or could you patch it and update your Zip-File?
I mean, for Dark and Aron, haha.

2019-10-08 17:39:13 (edited by arnold18 2019-10-08 17:41:02)

There are instructions in the doc folder itself, look for pbxin_fixbugs.txt.
Edit: I admit i didn't fix them myself yet with the provided instructions so i don't know how accurate they're, but they seem clear enough.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2019-10-08 17:48:28

Hey hey Best Arnold! I will check it out. Thanks!

I got another question:
I think in the original version of MOO1 it was possible to switch between your planets by pressing f2 or f3 or something like this.
Is there a comparable command for this? Or do i have to keep all my planets in mind? This can be very tricky.

2019-10-08 18:07:50

Yeah, in the original MOO 1, you could press a function key to cycle among your planets. In fact the entire game was keyboard accessible, though a mouse was more efficient. That doesn't work here, but there are a couple things you can do.
If you do "v py" you'll get a list of all your planets. THis will tell you info about them, including obviously names and such. You can also do what I did when I played this game with sighted friends, and copy info into a separate notes file. That might be easier if only because you can come up with a notation system that works for you. I can look into how the GUI shortcut is implemented, and see about adding a similar function for the command line, but can't promise when that would be done, as I'm slammed with RL work at the moment.

Regarding the bug fixes, you can use the pbxin_fixbugs.txt file with the 1oom_pbxmake command to build a patch file, and then use the -file command line option to run the game with it. I'm not sure if you can set the game to load a particular patch every time, but it's possible that's buried in a config file somewhere. Alternatively I think you could create a Windows shortcut to run it from the desktop or whatever. I hadn't seen the pbxin_fixbugs file when I posted last night, or I'd have mentioned it smile

2019-10-08 19:34:28

Any idea how to do a shortcut which preserves the file command option?

2019-10-08 19:51:02

Hey,

Should be pretty simple. Just go to orion.exe and do shift+F10, and click "Create shortcut." THen you can copy the shortcut anywhere you want, and open its properties. In the "Start in," box, you can add the -file option to the end of the command, I believe.

I personally play this on LInux and Mac mostly, so might have missed a step somewhere.

2019-10-08 19:55:38

thanks smile

2019-10-08 20:20:59

I encountered something interesting. Could it be, that the technological development can be different from game to game?
I remember i had a long range scanner and a cloaking device. And in the next new game It was never offered to develop.

2019-10-08 20:24:05

Yeah, tech options are randomized a bit each time, different races have different possible techs, though some are guaranteed.

2019-10-08 20:36:29

Yeah, but i habe both times played the humans.

2019-10-08 20:46:15

I should have been a bit clearer, tech options vary not only depending on your race, but randomization as well. It's one of the reasons the game is so re-playable, the different and semi-random tech availability. One of the old MOO fan sites had a bunch of details on exactly how this works, but I forgot which one.

2019-10-08 21:05:12

It's also worth noting that you can et tech via spies, trading, and capturing colonies too, and sometimes that's the best/only way to do so. In particular, the Darloks are so good at spying that it's how they're intended to play. yOu'll never see all the possible tech in a given game.

2019-10-08 21:22:01

Yeah, spying is something i still have to try.
Thats so phantastic. I am playing this game nearly two days and there are still stuff i never have tryed.
Could you say a little bit about the important commands to do this? HAHAAHAHAHA, actually I wanted to leave all the gaming stuff for today. But i think i will make some first steps for this spying-thing now, haha.

2019-10-08 21:39:44

Firefly, the most important command to spy is, well, "spy." I'm not quite sure what the "tenths of a percent," bit in the reference means, but basically if you "spy Darlok 5," or whatever, you can spend a certain amount on infiltrating a spy into them. The "report," command will tell you more about that I believe. In addition, you can use "spy race mode," where mode is hide, esp., or sabotage. HIde tries to hide your spy from security forces, esp. focuses on stealing technology, and sabotage does what its name suggests.

FInally, the "sec," command lets you spend a percentage of your income on trying to catch spies. If you use the "emp," command, you'll find out how much of your total income is being spent on all this stuff, in addition to ship maint and so forth.

The manual goes into detail onthis in part two I believe. ALso note, you can probably only spy on races you can have an audience with, that is, if you don't have a colony of theirs close to you you can't easily infiltrate them.