2019-09-15 09:58:16 (edited by Dark 2019-09-15 21:26:39)

Okay as I've said elsewhere, I decided to buy a blind legend. I played the IOs version, but the swipe controls never worked right for me and I couldn't get far in the game, so I broke a personal rule and got the game on pc.

In general the game was pretty much what I expected, a fairly standard audio adventure with laughably easy navigation  boppit combat, but with some nice environments, some, mmmm enthusiastic acting and a wonderfully hammy fantasy story, which gave me a pleasant hour or two.

I will say I sort of  vaguely liked the parry system, though I wish it was used a bit more fully, EG directional parries, and I enjoyed the points that you needed to change things up, EG blocking the demon's fire attacks with the shield and smacking her when she wound up for a physical attack.

My major issue though, is the relationship between Louise and Edward. Edward is frankly a grumpy arse hole, and while I get that he's supposed to be an old jaded knight, you'd think he'd be a bit nicer to his daughter generally, the point where he slaps her was sort of off though in fairness I suspect this was a problem in the script or acting, since had Edward actually sounded more afraid for her safety and less just being a grumpy git, I probably would've understood a little more.

However Louise herself rather bothered me. In the game, she runs literally four steps ahead of Edward and shouts things  like "come here" and "on your left" even though most of the time I just held the shift key down and centred her foot steps.

Had she described the terrain ahead to Edward then let him navigate, or just said "follow me" and then required the player to follow her footsteps I wouldn't have minded, but the over abundance of  description here made  Edward feel pretty useless, particularly when Louise started telling Edward "we're near the coast I can hear the waves" (obviously Edward's ears also do not work). Actually,  this was one area where I thought Echoes of livia did a better job in making the audio kews not be either patronising or stereotyped, since frankly if someone was running ahead of me yelling "on your left" and the like I'd probably want to punch them big_smile.

Then there was Louise herself, who was the most utterly damselly damsel ever! indeed far more damselly than her kidnapped mother. I can get the idea of making the main character a tough blind person by implying that he does the fighting and his guide does the guiding, but why the hell did Louise come across as so useless? Getting constantly grabbed, shot by poisoned arrows, and endlessly complaining. Indeed, given that we learned absolutely nothing about Louise, that she apparently has no friends besides her father and no function in life other than to guide her father around she's pretty much a picture of codependent.

Having  had a visually impaired mother and a sighted father, both of whom are very much people in their own right with distinct skills, this is a pretty worrying portrait of the relationship a blind person has to their family.

Yes, of course, this is a game and I might be taking matters too seriously, however given that A blind legend has had a hugely major release and likely will be the first time many sighted people play as a blind character, I really wish the writers had put a little more time into the "character" and a little less into the "blind."

Btw, I'm also thinking about this because I'm about to play The vale demo. I remember  last demo was actually much of an improvement on this character wise, with Shepherd being quite a mysterious character in her own right, and one who didn't hold the player's hand, EG telling the player to meet her by the inn, rather than running literally ahead of the player all the time, plus she's someone with very much her own personality, and hopefully her own history as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-09-15 10:48:35

It felt like they were going for emphasizing the Medieval atitudes of the characters, hence the slapping and capital B Blindness.
It is indeed annoying when the describer describes what you can very clearly and obviously hear, rather than literally anything else of note. If this game is intended to be friendly to sighted players, I suppose that could be the reason: to get them use to noticing things that they'd normally ignore.
Having an explanation for a thing doesn't mean one has to like it. After all, we've found explanations for a number of things irl, independent of how likable the thing may or may not be.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-09-15 10:58:10 (edited by Dark 2019-09-15 10:59:37)

As I said, the slapping would've bothered me less if say Edward had sounded more afraid and maybe apologised, as I once said in a review, just because we happen to have a medeival world where a man beating his wife or daughter is quite okay, doesn't necessarily mean all decent men will do so automatically, and even if they do there needs to be an in character reason given for it or otherwise they'd just end up feeling like a douchebag.

I certainly had no problem with the king slapping Caroline, because that's just something villains do, and I actually liked all the taunts about blindness (the bit where the guard was saying "I'm over here, you got me" both made me laugh and felt disturbingly believable).

My problem was more that if your main character is supposed  be a super awesome blind knight who slays his way through god knows how many inept hechmen, why does he have to be so bloody blind!

If your main character is some old blind beggar with no skills whose entirely reliant on their family, then fair enough.

Actually now I think about it, that would be a pretty awesome premise for a game, instead of trying to write an awesome blind character, write a bloody useless blind character then have them become awesome over time, EG start by having them always lead around by other characters in scenes when the player couldn't interact with anything, then have them follow characters with blatant "come over here" type mechanics, then a bit later give them more sound sources and perhaps some plot related audio beacons.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-09-15 17:33:13

@dark, the person could be sighted, then get into an accident, and go blind, be a couch patato, and some crazy cool adventure pops up, the player is guided, and during the whole indiver, the char learns to be blind. Its a great concept. Maybe somebody should do that instead of claiming TK as their own. smile

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-09-15 17:35:11

Leweuis did annoy me with her incompitence. She could see! cant she see all those things happening to her? The makers of this game, imo, didn't really focus on the story. It took a trip to the beach for me to complete it. That's 43 Kilometres from my home, and it took about an hour. And i was doing stuff before, so it took me about 20 minutes to finish it. Its so simple.

_____

2019-09-15 20:04:24

The thing is that, in the French version, Louise sounds like she's about 7, so in that context her attitude makes allot more sense.
I played on the French mode as well just to see, and had very little issue figuring out what to do.  It was actually better in the binaural department, and the voice actors were better too.

I kinda wish they would have spent a bit more time on story and a bit less time on putting tiny soudns everywhere in the environment.  I love exploring, but Louise won't even shut up to let me do so anyway, and especially in the village, it's pretty incredible how many individual sounds there are.
Hell even the sound for when you press down arrow with your sword drawn has like 3 variations and it does nothing, so unless they just had a giant sound library sitting around already, it makes you wonder if they could have spent that money on better English voice actors or story writers instead.

2019-09-15 20:25:09

I agree with the posts above. I played this game a couple of years ago, so I am not sure I remember things related to the game correctly, but Louise sounds sometimes suspiciously happy. That sounds especially weird in the beginning, given that her mother got kidnapped right before her daughters eyes.

2019-09-15 21:31:20

@Ruler, Louise didn't really sound happy to me, mostly she seemed to winj a lot big_smile.
@Defender, yeah, as I said the environments were very awesome, though if Louise was literally intended to be a child that  would make a little more sense of the damselity, though perhaps less of the function she fulfilled for her father. Voice wise I guessed her to be no younger than twelve and probably no older than about 20, ---- though that being said I  have met ladies right up to their fourties who have extremely light voices (heck I'm married to one).

Either way totally agree about more time on story writing and acting and more opportunities to explore, though in general I did enjoy the game for what it was and will probably play on hardcore at some point when I want another run through the story.

2019-09-15 21:36:23

I think she is 13.

_____

2019-09-15 21:38:49

The thing is, IMO, it seems like they tied random events together just to make up plot. Like for instance, Lewise stole the bread. Why would she do such a stupid thing? HUH? and the random guys attacking them. Also the troll at the bridge thingy. They just tried to make battle more common and at the expense of good storytelling.

_____

2019-09-15 21:51:15 (edited by Dark 2019-09-15 21:52:49)

I didn't actually mind the frequency of battles or random enemies myself, since the King's guards were actively chasing you, or you were going to  wild lands where there were nasty creatures to slay, since after all any action game will naturally have a larger proportion of combat  in its plot, though I fully agree more chance to explore the world, both in micro terms of the locations your in for each goal, and in larger terms of actually finding out a bit of the history and geography of the kingdom would've been nice.

What I minded a bit more was as I said the relationship between Edward and Louise, and the fact that both your journey had few to no subgoals or extra bits of information to find out, and  the only information you got about the world was basically  King Thork was eeeeeevil!

I thought there would be a generalised reason for why the king attacked and kidnapped Edward's wife, especially since Edward apparently lived such a long way away.
This is actually one area where Echoes of Livia did a better job  since while its blatantly obvious the demon guiding you is up to no good, at the same time, at least you get a lot of information about the world and its factions and something of an ongoing story, even if a predictable one (and one cut short by bad audio design in the marsh).
Again, this is one area where The Vale appears to already be  doing better, particularly since the vale has generally higher quality acting.

2019-09-16 04:13:07 (edited by defender 2019-09-16 04:13:47)

Well, at least the axe fight and king fight were pretty awesome on hardcore mode, not to mention that one quiet fast as hell undead chik in the planes and the demon.
But yeah, if I have to hear Louise fill actual dialog by going "I, I, I" instead one more time I'm going to run shrieking into the night.

2019-09-18 08:19:14

When I play through the game next time, it'll be on hardcore. nice that the developers realised the difficulty needed a bit of a boost.