2019-09-12 06:20:47 (edited by FallingSquirrelGames 2019-09-12 18:43:57)

The Vale Demo is inbound! Check back here tomorrow!

Edit: Sign up here https://www.fallingsquirrel.com/post/the-demo-is-here

2019-09-12 06:21:47

Yeeeeeaaaaaaa, im excited for a new demo!

2019-09-12 06:43:15

what will be the difference from the old demo? will it take us to the same place?

2019-09-12 07:03:12

Hi,
I usually don't go around making posts like these, but...
Cheers and looking forward to playing it!
at post 3, Very likely to be the same content with a few gameplay changes
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-09-12 07:18:00

Will the demo be released on steam?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2019-09-12 19:06:24

The demo will (for the time being) not be released on Steam. See above for the sign-up link

2019-09-12 20:33:02

I just completed the new demo. Here's what i think:
I like the old sheppard voice more to be honest, but this one is ok too.
I like the heavy attack system and various behaveas of enemies, for example heavily armored enemies won't stop attacking if you eeven hit them, that's interesting.
I'm interested, if sheppard needs a bow, will he fight alongside you in battles?
And i sure liked that you can set difficulty setting.
Now, a suggestion, i think you should be able to check how much copper you have right now cause you can't know how much copper you have and how to allocate it.
I think that's all for now. Thanks for the hard work!

2019-09-12 20:36:03

So, I've played what I presume is the newest demo, and here are my thoughts.

First, you give a lot of descriptions of things using controller feedback. This is cool and all, but while most PC users have access to a keyboard, many do not have access to a controller. This means that if you put controller info first, or in some cases do not mention the keyboard at all, you're catering to a smaller subset of your audience by default. If nothing else, my suggestion is a simple one. Where you do want to give tutorial info, put your keyboard shortcuts first, and controller shortcuts second.

Next, combat. I have only played on casual so far, so I'll have to see how higher difficulty looks, but on casual it's very, very easy. That's cool and all. I'm not going to throw stones on that point. You do spend a ton of time waiting though, and it takes a little of the realism out of it. If nothing else, it would be neat if enemies changed speeds a little.
That said, I tried the heavy attack tutorial and couldn't make it work. If I hold down arrow, Alex appears to charge up over and over again, sounds sometimes clipping over one another, and no matter when I hit the arrow to swing, I'm always blocked and counter-attacked by her uncle. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or if I'm doing it wrong, but I'm doing precisely as the tutorial says to do, and it's not working, so you may wish to look into that.
There's also one demo where you're surrounded by many enemies - I misremember its name right now - and you seemingly get attacked from multiple directions at once. i.e., you hear someone on your right wind up for a swing, you attack them first, and suddenly you're being attacked once or twice from the front when there was no windup from that direction. Are these combos from different sides, requiring you to block in multiple directions before striking? This isn't made clear.
Otherwise, I generally know what I'm getting on the tin, and it looks okay. If armour or weapons or shields are going to boost my performance, by the way, that should be stated somewhere. Having even some rough idea (i.e., this padded armour and bracers means you can take two extra hits) would be good; you don't need hard stats and advanced formulas or whatever, but knowing the benefit of the stuff I buy or find is a good thing.

Miscellaneous stuff last.
In my playthrough, I wasn't given a choice as to my gender, so I got Alex, female. I don't mind this, but is this deliberate (i.e., no choice)? Also, Shepherd is now male. I'm of mixed feelings on this, but I am not protesting in any case. I liked Shepherd being female if only because Alex (regardless of their gender) was being guided and enabled by men, and male Shepherd (god, I'm channelling Mass effect here by saying that) further hits on that. It's not a criticism, per se, it's a stylistic thing; if this is something that can switch, either at random or via specific parameters, cool. If it's just a straight choice you decided to make, also fine. This isn't game-breaking or anything, although I do want to point out that there's a cutscene which still refers to Shepherd as a "cloaked woman".
The repetition of "describe it to me" feels just a little forced. People who know Alex should know when and what she wants described, particularly if they've lived with her. Having them just flat-out mention stuff would be a bit less awkward than this, in my opinion. Also, now I think on it, there's a part when the uncle says something like, "have a look around", then corrects himself and awkwardly says, "have a listen around". Cringe, cringe, cringe. Please don't keep this in the final product. This is precisely the thing I wager most of us -don't want people around us to do; if there is a reason Alex would prefer that language, or would object to the phrase "look around" when she can't see, we have yet to come across it, and without it, doing this just makes it look like you're either trying to be funny (and for me at least, failing badly) or just don't know what you're doing when it comes to handling blind people and the language they use. Speaking personally here, I routinely use verbs like "saw", "look" and "watch" when referring to what I perceive, and if someone were to do the same, I'd prefer that; if they used one of these verbs and then switched it to something like "listen" or "hear", I'd feel extremely awkward and would probably inform them that they needn't do that, at least with me. I dunno; YMMV on this one I suppose, but to me it just feels awkward. Having someone who doesn't know Alex at all make this statement would be okay, if still cringe-worthy. Having someone who knows her make the statement is just not a great idea, from my angle on things.
The tutorial message when interacting with the map does not mention keyboard controls at all, and nor does the bow tutorial, I don't think.

I generally like what I see here, but I do have a concern. It may come across as confrontational, but I'll do my best here.
This demo is fairly similar to the demo that came many months ago. I was hoping for more/different things, and I got a few of them, and that's cool, but the wait time vs. the stuff that changed doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Is there a reason this took as long as it did? Was most of the time between demos spent polishing stuff we haven't even seen yet? I confess that while I did like what I experienced, I was hoping for different/more from this demo, didn't get it, and felt just a wee bit underwhelmed overall. I'm interested to see where the game goes, but my reaction to the demo itself is lukewarm.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-09-12 20:54:19

There is actually a control description preference in the options menu, it just doesn't apply to everything yet. But yes, you can in fact set it to announce keyboard controls. For the power blow, hold down arrow until you hear the clang, then press up arrow. If your keyboard has the ghosting issue like mine does, release down then press up in one fluid motion. The raider and knight demos were actually pretty fun on hard, more of that please! I also love how some of the heavy armored enemies do actually have slow combos and have super armor on them, so you actually will come out worse in that trade if you just attack and don't pay attention. I'm actually curious about shepherd as well. Like it's not a bad thing, but I'm curious what lead up to the change. But for what it was, can't really complain about the demo. Except for the fact that you can't skip cutscenes, lol I wanted to compare normal and hard but had to sit through everything twice, but not too huge of a deal.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-09-12 20:54:54

HI,
@8 you clearly took the words from my mouth. Globally every comments you gave were my thoughts about this demo, negative and positive points.
One thing maybe, about this tutorial with the battle scene, more ennemies and sometimes projectiles. I managed to complete it s well (actually I completed every tutorial with no real difficulty even on hard mode, and only got killed two times including the main demo). But I must say that this particular tutorial was far more immersive than the others, and I truly loved it. The projectiles were fast enough to not give the impression of being adapted for a blind apponent, the action was fast, multidirectional, and granted me the two deaths I was refering to.
Clearly in terms of combat, the more we see that kind of dynamic, the best it'll be.
Thank you for your hard work. I can't wait to try the full version of the vale!

Best regard,
Simon

2019-09-12 21:16:44 (edited by robjoy 2019-09-12 21:25:00)

Some feedback regarding the demo, which I really love:

Menus have an empty option at the top

Heavy melee attack has a reference to the controller in the keyboard controls menu

Selecting a menu item in keyboard or controller help produces a continuous select sound, as long as the key is held down, space bar for the keyboard.

The shepherd is mentioned as a woman during the intro of the fur quest: A blind girl and a cloaked woman

You continuously prove me right with each subsequent release that there's a huge potential for this game. Awesome sound design as always. Thank you!

Oh and extra thanks for the difficulty levels, completing the Raiders and Knight tutorials on hard is incredibly fun and satisfying. Thank you for listening to our feedback.

Edit: Agree with #10, hard is not as hard as it should be. Projectiles should be really annoying and make you lose your rhythm, which they currently don't. Bring 'em on smile

Edit 2: Forgot to add: Could you please make sure that keyboard/controller hints are only spoken once? Hearing what to press to select and to go back in menus when you select a menu item, for example, is a bit too much in my humble opinion.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2019-09-12 21:34:20 (edited by JessicaGG 2019-09-12 21:35:39)

Hi.
The demo looks nice, but I'm experiencing some pretty masive bugs.
First of all, when playing the story mode or trying the tutorials, nothing happens when I try to swing the sword (I can only get it to swing, when I switch back to the game window from something else, and even that, only swings the left side).
I've tried both with an controller.
In addition, when using a controller, pressing the resume game option (with the right tricker, I think it was called) quickly closes the pause menu (as it should) but then opens it again, making an infinite loop, you can only escape by using the keyboard.
I've tried both the 64 and 32 bit, and having both my screen reader on and off (all with the same results).
One good thing, is the sound design so far (only got past the initial cutscene for the reasons stated above).

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-09-12 21:47:43

Congrats to a job well done on the new demo. I absolutely enjoy the additional difficulties and added challenges demonstrated in the later demos. What really sells this game to me is the sound design. Even if the gameplay isn't too complex, due to how the characters grunt and the weapon impacts sound. They add a lot of weight and substance to the combat. I'll definitely pick this up when the full version comes out!

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-09-12 22:10:38

Hi.

I will put my comments in some short notes because I'm a bit tired and can't really write long texts anymore.
sound design is great, although some of the characters microphones sound a bit cheap, doesn't really break the ambience, but some lines could possibly be rerecorded.
The shepert is ones still called a woman, it's in the dialogue before the fur cloaks quest in the inn.
The cutscene after the fur cloaks quest has a real bad and heavy compressor on the shepparts voice, thi should be fixed because it surpresses all the ambiance and it doesn't sound that great.
Even on higher difficulty, the waiting times between enemys was a bit to long in my opinion, enemys, and especially when they are in groups should attack faster and more rapit, also provoking use of your shield. i think unlike others, I instantly started the game on the highest difficulty possible and it still was quite slow in my opinion.

The cutscenes are pritty nice and well spoken. But, as Jayde said, please, please, please, please!!! Take those puns out which go like, you see, eham, hear that? Please guys, this is not how blind people should be represented.

Yes,  I know, political correctness is a pain these days, but, please go and take these things out of the game, for me personally it's quite the bummer. Not game breaking, but something I would critisize in a possible review of the game.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-09-12 22:49:28

I like this. I didn't try the first demo though, so not really sure what changed. As for the controller messages, I would think the logical approach would be to give those if one is plugged in, but give keyboard ones if a controller isn't present. I agree also with the listen around, that's just odd verbiage to use and no one who knows a blind person would do that, because it'd be one of the first things we would set them straight on.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-09-12 23:02:33

Hi.

I played the demo and love it.

Others are saying shepard shouldn't say have a look around... Listen around, for me that doesn't bother me at all. Honestly it brings more realism to the game for me. I don't see it as humor, it's more as a... hmm, I don't have a word for it, snide is wrong, patrenising is deffenetly wrong but what ever it is, I like it.

As others have said, the fur cloak quest,, the one with the cuzzon does have the guy calling shepard a woman.

The keyboard and controler messages need to be improved.

I love the night demo and raders,, they each bring something different to the table and it's awesome!

I wanted to use the bow in the quest with the bear, I did just buy it after all.

This demo is amazing! I love the dynamic between the uncle,, the king,, and Alex.

i'm buying this as soon as it comes out and will probably add more on top if there's a donation page.

This game may not be the hardest thing for some but for me I love the shield/sword combo and how you have to figure out the pattern of the enimies.

Will there be magic in this game, and will we be able to switch weapons? if not, i'll still buy it but it would be fun.

I'm gone for real :)

2019-09-13 02:13:43

I've finished the demo and the tutorials, and liked it so much. Gameplay is more advanced compared to the previous demo, the difficulty for me is reasonable even on normal where it's even fun to fight, not easy to make you bored, and not extremely difficult to make you not enjoying, so it's reasonable. But I agree about the fact that there shouldn't be so much waiting whilst a combat. What made me more excited is that you can cast spells and such which will surely make combat more fun, I'll definitely be buying this one when it comes out.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2019-09-13 02:42:02

See here! Stuff like that doesn’t hurt my ears or feelings, too much nit picking for all the politically correct bs, and, oops, I’ll prob get busted for saying everyone has nits to pick.
Oh, difficulty settings would be good so those who found it easy can make itz harder

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2019-09-13 04:12:51

In an age and a culture where impression management is important, I feel it's a good idea to put your best foot forward. So no, it's not a huge deal, but if fixing the cringy dialogue bits can be done, why not do it? It's the same with half a hundred other things in life, especially with regard to speech; if you can fix it, why not just bloody well get on with it?

Thank you for pointing out the bit about control schemes and sensitive help. I was working on what the game gave me by default, and again, a lot of controller input info when I'm...not using a controller. So I still say that needs attention. Assuming that the majority of your player base will be using a controller may be asking a bit much.

I really do like the sound design in this game. There's a lot of good spatial audio rendering that works well, plus good atmosphere. I think my only real niggle is that both the bear in the quest and the boar in the hunting demo make a weird clicking sound when they move. With the bear, maybe it's claws, but with the boar, why would it sound the same? Boars have hooves, I think, or sort of, and I doubt you're encountering the damn thing on a road. But this, again, is not gamebreaking; it's literally mentioned here because it's the only sound issue I found, and it's not at all a big problem.

2019-09-13 04:21:14

about the things people are somewhat saying when correcting themselves. I feel like outside of the uncle, everyone else should be with that type of somewhat insulting dialect and wording. IN all honesty, we are not in the modern times here, we're in the old days, and to be fair, a lot of people most likely would not have met a visually impaired individual throughout their lives. As well with the Shepard at the start, I was getting the sense you never had the highest opinion from them in both versions at the start. To them, u were just some blind man/woman that probably was expected to die on that first set of warriors. Not only that, you were someone with barely any experience of life outside of the capital lands. This was described as boarder territories, and as usually commonly displayed by boarderlands of an empire/kingdom, civility goes out the window.

And let's face it, as much as we don't want people to self-correct with the look/listen thing, people in our time still do it. You think a bunch of boarder villagers are going to give a toss about your feelings? Half of them want to kill you for some reason, and you aren't well respected, and obviously look out of place. Granted, her uncle should more likely be on point with not having to wait on Alex's prompting. It's more common that family tends to do this a lot less, knowing you the most. However, it's reasonable the Shepard would do the same thing, until he/she traveled with Alex enough to know better and get used to them, and see them as someone they are not babysitting for 500 miles.

On the demos I tried; Honestly combat is still slowish on the early parts of the story mode, being the more easier fights. However, the demos with the  knights/raider seem perfectly chaotic. If there's a lul in combat, it's the state you're supposed to use a heavy attack and prepare for counter attacks. In fact, the tutorial for heavy attacks actually mentions this as the purpose for the maneuver. to make the fight shorter, land that heavy blow to cut down someone faster, or get the fight back flowing at your pace hopefully.

The knights seem to also be more difficult with predicting what they'll do. They have varying forms of their attacks, and reacting to the wrong one will get you beaten down fast. (I attacked when I thought it was only the 2 hit combo, only to eat a third hit to the face, get blocked, and take another counter for that.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2019-09-13 04:28:36

having phrases like listen to that just so obvious you are blind. we know this, anyway. At work i say i can see x on the screen, when helping out customers, i don't say i can hear, i can feel in braille etc.

2019-09-13 05:12:34

Actually I don't think people in game know that though at first. It seems you don't have your cane from the start anymore, quickly replacing it was a broken sword/scabbard.

Anyway, the uncle should probably tone it down a bit being one of the more empathedic characters towards you. however, the Shepard is new at this, and something is not entirely clear with Theo. However, you're pretty much fair game for anyone else. Especially the group trying to find the blind prince/princess throughout the boarderlands.

Also the "we know this already' arguement is a bit world-breaking. yes, we as the player and character know of our disability. However, people will get surprised and act weird around us meeting new people who don't usually see anyone blind, because they're probably killed living out here. Sure we should probably present a different image at some point, but not at the start, where we're some random highborn now lost 500 miles from home. You're gonna have to earn that respect as the sword/bow/magic wielding highborn ripping through the hoards. but Until you get that status, your just some blind dude/chick who, as real life tends to tragically reflect, gets their disability noticed first before their ability. IN fact, the MC is pondering that she/he was considered useless to rule with her disability, and being a second born. Or, at least this is what she/he is thinking on carriage ride. However, hopefully the cringy dialogue subsides past the early part of the game, and your character has established him/herself in the boarder territories and taking on knights and raiding parties with the rest of them.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2019-09-13 07:21:58

Okay, get ready. I'm going meta here.

So I am totally, 100% okay with people thinking of Alex as weak or unfit or whatnot. Makes perfect sense to me. So when a random guard or assassin is like "Phph, what can she possibly do? She's blind!", I'm okay with that.
It's the cringy language correction, and to a lesser extent the "describe it to me" things that bug me.
In the first example, this world does not appear to be our world, and if there ends up being magic in it, I think we can all but ensure that it's not. This means that the developers can decide that no, people won't actually do the language correction thing. Because that's not a matter of not being used to a disability; it's simply a form of gaslighting. By the time Shepherd does it to Alex, they're engaged in a fairly mutualistic relationship where doing that to someone is akin to correcting someone's grammar, but a little worse because it's ableist. If this really has to be here, it would be cool if Alex called Shepherd out, and Shepherd learned. But I say again: new world, you can make your own rules regarding people and how you do or don't want them to be jerks with the use of language. But here's where the meta comes in. Any use of language reflects back on the real world, in the sense that a player, who inhabits said real world, will react to what they hear. I'll use a far more offensive example for just a moment. If you were playing a game where dark-skinned people were called the n word, in that universe and even for a specific reason, you might really piss players off; some will look past it, some may even see a point you're trying to make, while others will drop your game or get angry. And unless the point you're making is a really damned good one, you owe it to yourself not even to step into this quagmire. There is, as I see it, no good reason to use cringy language correction, since regardless of one's ability or experience with disability, it represents kind of a jerkish thing to do, and it's got a bad reputation in the real world. So give it the axe. In the "describe it to me" example, this is less upsetting, but still a little stiff. If blindness is exceedingly rare in this world (and hey, maybe it is), then having Alex feel the need to say this to someone who doesn't know her makes some sense. But the uncle should know her well enough by now, ditto Theo, that they give her the detail they think she wants instead of waiting for her to prompt them.

I want to point out that none of these things kills the game. I'd just like a bit more attention paid to what's being said and the effect it's having.

2019-09-13 07:29:22

Hi,
Fantastic sound design, no matter what else you end up doing, do not reduce quality of the sounds to save on space/ size memary or what have you. The sounds were awesome enough to make me think I was watching a movie, and has to be one of the best out there in terms of sound effects, better than even AHC.
I am not sure if we already can do this, but being able to use both arrows when out of range and a sword when in range would make combat more interesting although I do see how impracticle that would be big_smile.
I liked shooting the kitchen boy whilst he was taking a piss tongue and would obviously like chances to do that a bit more often.

I say, Keep the dialogues as they are, no need to change it.
It might make some people cringe, but to be perfectly honest, post 20 puts it just right, and makes it a bit more real politically correct bs and impressions aside.
That is what my friends end up saying even though I have corrected them a few times, and by now its more like gentel leg pulling or a tongue in cheek humur much more than anything else, Lets play and enjoy a game and story for what it is and leave the nitpicking along with politically correctness aside for once.

The combat in the story mode specially on hard could be a tad bit faster, I.E raider and knight demos had it just right, perfect.
Although, enemies seem to attack me only from either the left or the center, right not so much. this obviously doesn't include the raider, warrior  and the knight demos.

I see the sheperd being turned into a male character as  maintaining balance/ give and take lol we lost the male prince and have a female princess instead so the female sheperd is changed to a male guy, who gives me major GOT wibes the way he talks, speaking of which so do the uncle and such. Very good voice talents. although yes, I do miss the female sheperd a bit, but I'll survive wink

A few bugs to report I see they haven't been reported so far.
If you play the hunting scene, go back to a combat scene and try the bow training tutorial again, the w s a d etc keys won't move you ahead or center you, quitting the game and retrying the bow training fixes it, though.
Usually during gameplay, the instructions will announce controls for both keyboard and controllers, but there are parts where only the controller controls are announced. I.E bow training.
Cheers, and obviously looking forward to the release of this game and will buy it when it comes out.
Grryf

Follow me on twitter

2019-09-13 07:44:54

and ug, is it seriously that hard to understand that the describe it to me thing is used as a device to let players get a bit more of a picture of the surroundings in their heads? as sounds sometimes aren't enough, and hopefully blind people won't be the only people playing it.

The watch and the listen thing aren't really that offencive to me anyway as its no way a form of racism that there could be no comparison between it and the negro or the N word as people like to call it.

Its  more of a medieval setting Where a father sends his daughter away as her being blind is an EMBARRASSMENT and a liability (understandable considering any form of disability was considered as a reason to get rid of the child). that said,  do you think the listen watch thing would be such a big deal or people would make much of it considering it could also be nothing but sort of humur or banter between the 2 people who are separated by not only rank, but age.
Its like saying change the woman washing clothes / doing housework in a historical setting just because it gives the impression of the woman doing all the housework and nothing else and all such bs.
Grryf

Follow me on twitter