2019-09-11 14:22:48

Is there a space mud where you can go off on your own and not have to role-play, I don’t like RP much

2019-09-11 14:25:30

Cosmic rage is your go to then. RP is encouraged but not enforced. Didn't grab me, I thought the writing was a little weak.. but others seem to like it.

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-09-11 14:29:21

So, you can do everything on your own?

2019-09-11 14:35:09

I don't know, I didn't play it for long enough. But probably...

2019-09-11 14:42:46 (edited by JaceK 2019-09-11 14:46:08)

@Assault:

No idea then. I swear I've seen you on the Fringe channels however, I'm Markus Arencallla on there.

@Drums: I like the AEU's idea, but....nah. Fringe grabbed me ecause of the RP potential of being a yes man who is not really so much a yes man in private, but in public he's yes the Fringe and the Committee are the best at everything...ya know? Okay, so.....

I swear I have the worst luck finding RATS. I got a starter battlesuit, but I cleaned out a nest, the starter one. Now I'm unsure if I screwed up by taking so many missions.

@Skyguardian: My issue with CR is this:

It feels unwelcoming. I want to delete my char and start over, but no. I got to be level 200 to do that...and....nobody seems to want to help me. I tried asking for help on the newbie channel and (I forgot who) said stop asking you've had your account for ages. Yes. I've had my account for ages, but I've barely played. Additionally, I've got this amazing knack of being able to get stuck in the dumbest places. Like on SC I'm fine with exploring (even though VIPMUD would /not/ let me leave a sector with manual control, wtf?) and I can chat with the Fringe friends while doing activities, and going by last night, RP doesn't seem super ironclad enforced really. Or maybe it's cause I'm still a cadet, but.....I swear people on the frequency talking about all sorts of random shit, I was glad I was landed since I can't fly and snicker at the same time.

My main issue with CR is this. I don't want to have to read a whole encyclopedia just t to get off of level 1 or 2. Okay, I don't want everything spelled out for me, but I'd like the new player experience to be easier and more like other games. One of the issues I got is thins don't auto @abort, like if in SC I type in help curtains, it'll ask if I want to search the help files, then if I say anything other than y or n it'll abort. In CR it'll throw up an error and search what I typed, so I'd have to manually type @abort to gt out of the help system. Which is a pain I feel like. Just wish the newbie experience would be better in CR, I've dabbled in it but put off by the newbie experience entirely.

And back to SC. Okay. I'm a little stuck on missions, so general hints. I'm hanging out at VSPC so if anyone wants to come meet up, I'll be in the galley there, or apartment hunting. Also, Approx how many points do I need to gain access to better ships? Me being me, I sold my cargo hauler on SC for a flitter since I figured okay, half as much or thereabouts, cargo space, and more guns.....yeah, and I got my ass kicked by the soundpack being louder than speech. FML. Had to limp back after nearly getting blown up by RATS. Ow

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-09-11 14:57:02

Hi.

So, regarding SC, just so i get this one right, the fringe guys are the ones with powerfull weaponry? Because if so, count me in for a grab of the best parts of the forbidden toys.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-09-11 15:14:31 (edited by JaceK 2019-09-11 15:15:33)

Yes. Yes we are. Put it this way, the starting battlesuit pistol does up to 44dmg.

Also, I'm now just a little lost looking for....

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

I got to reading the help files, want to get into roid hauling/scooping tritium, so I'm currently looking for a place that sells both scoops and roid haulers. Fringe doesn't seem to. Or my points ain't high enough

@Simba: Hit me up on SC, Markus Arencalla, and I'll help you out. Actually, everyone probably will

EDIT: aaaaaaaaand I wasted my time going there. Well then, I'll go back to mail hauling and suchlike.

Also on Linux natively

2019-09-11 16:23:24 (edited by Shadowcat 2019-09-11 16:29:01)

Yeah, basically just salvage debris chunks until you can asteroid haul. lol General tips... AEU's good at fixing things/supplemental stuff I signed up there but kinda wish I'd gone somewhere else now TBH. That, plus the recent situations kinda turned me off playing, it's like frickin' real life politics simulator 1.0 in there... maybe that's changed though, I haven't logged on for quite a while. League are the tanks, and fringe blow shit up. The asteroid mining activity is wonderful, wonderful cash. Get someone to show you the ropes of combat piloting... Miriani vets, spamming constant movement = bad. If you know you're gonna be generally away for a while, get yourself set up on asteroid belt management, because the points come in at a crawl, but they do add up. Get someone to tell you about the debris clusters outside of local sectors, and find the salvage station. You'll get more bang for your buck there, because taxes are a bitch on planets apparently. And on the RATS, for those who don't know already... don't bother trying to avoid their hits in space, you can't.
Hopefully something in here actually was useful. lol Does make me want to start playing again though.
Oh, also be warned... the hosts can and will spy on you on occasion. They won't actually do anything visible unless you're in a giant group out of local space, but sometimes you'll find that they do in fact watch what you say. lol I've had it happen to me before firsthand. Also, word is that they can on occasion be a bunch of jerks, but can't confirm personally, the few times I've assisted about anything they'd either be silently resolved or responded to with something like "should be fixed, try it now." but definitely not rude or jerkish.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-09-11 17:04:12

So....yeah, I'm sorta screwed. I dunno where the Fringe salvage station is. I tried the mining one where you enter the VR and got horribly lost and only got about 10 metals, then had it stolen.

On the plus side, yep, I'm decent accidentally at combat, alternate keys ftw....and yeah, found hauling mail works pretty well.

Now where's that damn book

Also on Linux natively

2019-09-11 17:11:07

Fringe ships don't have "better weaponry," just more weapon hardpoints, which are both great and not because  you have the combat energy grid.

The combat grid gives each weaponroom an allocated amount of energy, let's say you have the best one which gives you 1100 units of energy per room. Your chainguns take 12 units of energy each to fire. So, in a room with four or five turrets, that's 48-60 energy per shot, which, due to that grid's recharge rate is sustainable. Then take the fringe ship like the fantazain, and it has sixteen chainguns in it's room, that's sixteen times 12 which is 196 energy per shot. That is less than a minicannon, but take into account those chainguns are also firing at a faster speed, so you will end up draining grid at a much faster rate. Once you don't have enough energy to fire all your weapons you'll be reduced to what you can fire.

In addition, each weapon hit only ever hits one component, so if you pop that component any extra damage is wasted.

Regarding profiles, they are a pain only because the hosts seem not to agree on what they're looking for so what might have worked for one person doesn't work for another. As far as them being jerks. They do not take criticism very well, and, let's just say that all the really neat things, they are all in the same people's hands.

Case and point, On a trip I was on recently I had scheduled to do a mini-event with them. My wife surprised me with an anniversary trip for two days, and I was not able to be on quite as much as usual. I woke up in the middle of the event, and tried to take control since it was my ship. I go into the control room, and I see all the people with uber exploration experience there, and when I tell the rest to come in to be able to participate, they start biting my head off.

ON another trip that just happened, they went to this human station aboard a Mutuality ship. they all from what I understand were excluded from a meeting with the Mutuality and the station to set up trade agreements. Then the station gave away several pets, but not enough for everyone. They decided to group them by couples then give individuals their's, but two people in the Mutuality decided they wanted one each, and they got them.

It's little things like that which are irritating, and which you won't see at first, but after a while will start to annoy.

thanks,
Michael

2019-09-11 17:13:13

For mining, set yourself as close to center as possible. If it helps, section the site off. EG: north is drone repair/recharge, east is drone creation/upgrades, south is ore drilling/processing. Research chaingun turrets as soon as you can, then build 4 at 2 2, -2 -2, 2 -2 and -2 2 for a crossfire any poachers will probably get shredded by until you encounter the heavy drones at higher levels. Just make sure you have drones to operate them... and place your processor 2 tiles away from central control, so your drones have to do as little moving as possible between runs.
HTH

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-09-11 20:57:10

The only thing that's got me worried about he app is this:

Sentence for a concept. Then 500 words for a profile.

Also, I did pick up the Fringe ship book, but if I'm reading it right, it doesn't list the points for a ship, not that I'm expecting it to, but it'd be nice if the Fringe had something between 20 and 100 industry poins and 1.25 and 12 million.

So. Am I missing something or do I just need to get up to 100 industry points, with or without the belt station?

Also, yeah, I can't find the salvage station, but I do want to start scooping as well though as I heard it's good credits. I just have a hate of skim gates now....I'd rather wormhole there to be honest.

Also on Linux natively

2019-09-12 07:06:11

You can't wormhole across the skims, but fortunately you don't have to. Ask around in game where to buy scoops and mounts if you need help.
The Fringe ship book is out of date, but the point values should be in there. There are ships within that point range, but as a cadet, you are stuck to the main three flitter, cargo hauler, or fighter.

Same with the salvage station. Ask around, or listen to your comm notifications. People drop off salvage there quite often.

thanks,
Michael

2019-09-12 07:12:40

Hi,
Cosmic Rage definitely could use a bit of polish, but I am sure it'll get there in the end.
Miriani lost its Appeal to me after a while of playing it due to its disgusting playerbase, but honestly if soundpacks are concerned, it has one of the best ones around, despite the recent screwups that have been added in etc.
Star conquest is one of those good games as far as game mechanics go, but its the dickkish hosts and a select few players that tend to run everything that spoiles it for me.
I made this post
Around the month of May, and might be something people may want to have a look at before they jump into the game. I still haven't gotten in. I did continue to submit concepts once every week after that post, but obviously I gave up after 3 4 weeks or so.
Cheers
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-09-12 07:47:32 (edited by drums61999 2019-09-12 07:48:42)

I have two minor issues with CR. First, for being a space mud, they sure make you take forever to even see a ship. Second, the fact that it doesn't autosave without a donator item seems really strange. I don't know many muds/moos, or anything that do that. Fortunately enough people made it on on the anniversary I got a free save item, but still. I figure I'll wait until the activities have been revamped, and nobody ever seemed to talk on the channels so it was a nice place to just relax and do stuff.

And yes, that post is pretty spot on. SC's mechanics are the best out of any space mud out there, but management is not greatest at dealing with people.

thanks,
Michael

2019-09-12 08:28:30

cr never claimed to be a space mud
its sort of combine with ground part too
yes you have to  be at rank 40 to aquire a ship but it doesnt take that long to reach 40 in maybe fiew hours

2019-09-12 11:26:13

Well as far as CR goes, then explain why I'm (seemingly) unable to get any pointers on what to start with re: activities and ranking up? I picked Sellura as my starting planet, and....nobody apparently seems to want to help me at all, I've tried asking for help, tried being subtle, tried being blunt, but nope, the only channel I see people talking on is the OOC channel mostly.

Also @Drums: I'm slowly working my way up to 25 industry points and got a profile in mind for SC, I'm not having issues with people bar accidentally jumping the gun and sending off a distress signal (oops) but I learned my lesson without anyone on comms being a giant dick to me, I just got told gently hey, don't do that withoutt a reason, we take it seriously so you had us worried over nothing. THat to me was a fair way of dealing with it since I learned my lesson. EIther I'm super chill on SC, or I've got in with a really nice bunch of players in Fringe that seem very very erlaxed and super helpful.

Also on Linux natively

2019-09-12 12:46:27

i dont know what happenned there but you feel free to drop me an o t r, the names stormy

2019-09-12 13:04:49

I'm trying that, but it keeps asking who I want to send an otr to. WHich, ya know....confused

Also on Linux natively

2019-09-12 13:06:38

Okay, I'm Kira Callahan on there, so...yep I'm the quiet one asking newbie questions

Also on Linux natively

2019-09-12 14:35:50

Didn't play sc before, neither we didn't know what the link of the mud is.

73 Wj3u

2019-09-12 14:39:15

SC is at moo.squidsoft.net port 7777

Or just google Star Conquest squidsoft

Also on Linux natively

2019-09-12 16:31:48 (edited by assault_freak 2019-09-12 16:33:45)

IF there's one problem I have with CR, it's the weak writing. First of all, the title has seemingly nothing to do with the actual universe or story itself.. and descriptions and ingame text is just, not polished... star conquest feels much more like a refined piece of writing. Not bashing here, just things I've noticed. CR has, if I'm to described it in a few words, a very young seeming atmosphere, and people can take that however they choose to. And yes, it does claim to be a space mud... in the topic title itself, which reflects its very young nature. And I quote:
"Cosmic Rage, an all new, all awesome Space MOO from Nathan Tech!"

2019-09-12 17:49:44

Okay, having dabbled in CR.....for a few hours and getting a few levels up....

My opinion is still meh. I feel like the grind at the start's a nice idea, but....but....I don't want to spend a week or two doing the same activities over and over and over again before I get to  a ship. I like the idea in theory, but I think it needs a whole lot of reworking.

It's billed as a space MOO, yet you have a metric ton of work behind a weak reason of 'proviede for for yor planet'. Which to me is BS, sure, have people on the ground at the start, hell, Fed 2 did that with having a mini puzzle in how to get your ship and how all that happened....but don't lock players into a cycle of doing the same activities over and over and over and over again. Like, at the moment, I can either jump on SC and write out a concept, setle in and earn credits for my alliance, or go on CR and mine and mine and mine till I get to level 10. TO me, one sounds like you're contributing to something bigger (the SC one. THe CR one sounds like it's an arbitrary reason.

I'd much prefer space thematic reasons to stay on the ground, like you got the academy, you have to go through that and do 'quests' of a sort and activities in there that related to space stuff. THen when you graduate, you know how to fly a ship, you know how to do all that. How does digging for fossils exactly relate to soaring through the stars? Maybe, just maybe, I'm not thinking about it right, but to me the grind to level 40 seems a bit redundant for what is a space based game, with everything after 40 being a lot more space themed.

Also on Linux natively

2019-09-12 17:51:23

Completely in agreement with that one!