2019-09-12 00:10:24

Hi all,

So I've got some very large MP3 files that I've gotten over the years, many of them things like long game paythroughs. I'd like to chop them up into smaller pieces so that jumping around within them is more manageable. When a leap takes you forward or backward like 30-40 minutes, that's...kind of too much.

So here's my question.
What is the easiest and most accessible way to take an MP3 file that's huge, and chop it up into smaller bits? They don't have to be tiny and they don't have to be tagged/chapterized/whatever else. I know you can do that, but that's beyond what I need. If I have a long MP3, I'd just like to, say, be able to chop it into six or eight large but much more manageable pieces, and I'd love your help figuring out how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-09-12 03:07:41

GoldWave has the ability to split files, and you can tell it how long each part should be. Reaper may as well, but I've never used it.

2019-09-12 03:08:15

Hi.

I can't help with splitting the files but you could try Foobar2000, once you've set up the shortcuts,, you can jump around five minutes, or 10.

I'm gone for real :)

2019-09-12 03:15:38 (edited by Shadowcat 2019-09-12 03:16:15)

@2, it does? I've never seen that... I knew you could merge, but not split. Although it would make sense to have both if you had one. Goldwave, I mean. Never used Reaper, it's most likely more than I'd ever need.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-09-12 06:52:03

It's in cue points under tool. You can either set those manually or have it set them in intervals of your choosing. Once all the cue points are set up, you can choose the split file button.

2019-09-12 07:07:26

Ooh, I've never tried using Goldwave or anything like that before. Will definitely have to give this a look.
Yeah, chopping it into segments of roughly the same amount of time would work beautifully, so if that option is available and not too fiddly, I may be able to go with that.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-09-12 13:03:36

So that's what cue points are used for. I have accidentally set a few of them in the past, and they angered me because they made a file I had to delete. I would also like to do this, so thank you @2 for the solution.