2019-08-19 17:43:44

Hi guys,
I continue my project of web based turn-by-turn app. For those who wonder what am I talking about, read this: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/2974 … n-the-way/
I changed app name on purpoce, because now I achieved more and there will be 2 a bit different projects if you think that's needed to exist.

Achievements:
1. Turn-by-turn steps based on Google maps service: it gives routes on foot, driving and by public transport.
2. Trafi API integration for public transport: nearby stops, schedules / upcoming transport, info if expected to arive vehicle detection based on GPS or schedule.
3. Compass (for Android devices only): it says where to spin your device to the left or right side, sound indicate if you are pointing your device towards the direction you need to go or not. For IOS users, I created an additional function called Automatic direction corrections. When you turn it on, it says where to go each time your direction changes by using  GPS coordinates, so you need to move toward any direction do know the actual direction.
4. Route preview before navigating.
5. Alternative routes.
6. Nearby places by category. There are more than 50 categories.
7. If you pick a route by public transport, it says when and where to take the bus / trolleybus / train / whatever, when to get off the public transport, where the needed bus stop is and how many stops to go.
8. I prefer less TTS speaking policy, I mean it says directions by easy manner: go straight, left, right, easy left, easy right, hard right, go back, hard left. If app can't detect your moving direction, it gives cardinal directions: east, west... There are by clock directions as well, but they'ren't spoken automatically.
9. Smart TTS info repeat: app measures your movement speed and if you go faster, it repeats information about the current step rare enough. If you suddenly walk or ride slower, it automatically speaks more frequently to help you on the way. When you approach the point, it vibrates and tells not only maneuver you need to do, but the next point direction from your current location based on your moving direction, to help you to get the better view.

I'm lazy, so created 2 podcasts just to show you what you can expect from it and how it works. I didn't edit them and I don't speak in those podcasts, only using TTS for quick understanding. If you have any questions related to the project, don't hesitate to ask.
First podcast demonstrates how this app looks and how to find something by category, check the schedules, enter the address or the name of the place and more: https://justbest.eu/podcasts/blindOX-preview.m4a
Second podcast demonstrates how I walk by using this app: https://justbest.eu/podcasts/blindOX-walk.m4a
I hope it will be useful. Tell your opinion in comments, but first listen the podcasts.

2019-08-22 23:23:13

Compass for IOS phones finally implemented as well. Of course you should use Google chrome instead of Safari in order to gain that benefit.

2019-08-23 13:18:12

well this sounds amazing, it somehow fills in the gaps that other apps simply do not have

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-08-23 19:24:46

That's actually the point.

UltraLeetJ wrote:

well this sounds amazing, it somehow fills in the gaps that other apps simply do not have

2019-08-23 21:26:47

Hello everyone,
I turned on testing of my app that works with Google maps service on justbest.eu. Just create your account if you don't have one and see what you get. It will be on for a day or two, I ask if you can to write an honest review in this forum topic. Thank you.

2019-08-28 13:24:52

Updates to my beta application:
1. If you choose walking directions, route will be calculated by trying to avoid tolls, fairies;
2. If you choose route by transit / public transport, app searches for a route with less walking criteria in mind if it's possible, because I assume that for a blind person is easier to go by public transport than walking through unknown places;
3. If your device screen is turned off and when you turn it on and app realizes that it's far away from the previously known location, it searches for a nearest point in your route and automatically redirects to it. It doesn't do this if you're in the public transport;
4. Keep screen awake is improved a bit as well. So if you turn on this function, you can put your device to your pocket by turning screen to the side of your clothes to avoid physical body touch and can use it without the problem that screen turning off automatically;
5. You can use Compass on IOS as well as on Android devices, however you should use Google Chrome browser to have a best experience with this app. Keep screen awake works on IOS as well;
6. I updated directions as follows: Go forward 20 meters, turn slight right and go 20 meters, turn right and go 20 meters, turn around and go slight right 20 meters, go back 20 meters, turn around and go slight left 20 meters, turn left and go 20 meters, turn slight left and go 20 meters;
7. Detection if you are in public transport or just waiting for the vehicle to arive is rewritten as well by checking if you at least once during this route were nearby the point of the stop or not. If you were nearby the stop and app fixed that, then it checks if you are nearby the stop still or at least 50 meters away. If you are away 50 meters from the stop or more, then that, then app assumes that you already going by transport and showes you when to get off the transport. If you are nearby the stop you need to get out, it redirects you to a next step, however it worns you when to get off if you don't turn off your screen. If you know that's far away the stop you need to get out, then you can lock the screen and when you turn it on, app automatically recalculates the distance toward the end stop you nead to get off. Yeah, I could use speed, accuracy and more stuff to try to similate detection of transport, however all the algorithms I wrote and tested, this one seems to be most efficient. If something goes wrong, then you can click next step or previous step button to get to the point you want;
8. From now on, you can enter an address to your destination as well as an adress of your current location. If you do so, app doesn't take your current location as a starting point, but exactly that specified address. This is very useful when you're in a building and want to get an exact route from an address. Also you can use this if you know that you'll be somewhere in the near future and will be important to know where to go.
That's all for now.
You can test it in here: https://www.justbest.eu/