2019-07-29 18:45:07

I've seen some great posts out here and have been following this side of the forum for some time. I was curious, though, how many folks are developing full-time as a software developer? Are you working for a company? Are you doing contract work? What area of development does your work focus on (web development, database management, AI, etc)? Do you like where you work? Is their in-house software accessible? What's the culture like? What do you do on a day-to-day basis? What made you choose to work for that company? What did you major in college?
Feel free to answer whatever questions you please. These were just starter questions I always ask people when going for  an interview or when discussing work with full-time employees of a company.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-07-29 19:48:55

Are you working for a company?
- Yes, currently I am, although I am also considering freelance work at present.

Are you doing contract work?
Not yet, although I am seriously considering that.

What area of development does your work focus on (web development, database management, AI, etc)?
I've pretty much always been a back end web developer. PHP, Python, Ruby , c# .NET and JavaScript are top contenders for the work I tend to do.
However, more and more application logic is moving to the front end, where frameworks like VueJS and React are powering a large part of the applications out there. So I am also teaching myself those in my spare time.

Do you like where you work?
Given I will end my contract with this company in a few days I would say no, not really. I used to, but company management decisions have ruined the company culture for me .

Is their in-house software accessible?
Most of the companies I have worked for really don't give a shit about accessibility, I am sorry to say. It's not important to them, they nave no budget for it, their demographic doesn't need it, on and on and on. I tend to try to fix things as I go along but it's a one-man effort most of the time.
As for tooling, that really depends on the company.

What's the culture like?
This company I work at right now is very laid back, which is good in some respects and bad in others. In this case, there's a sort of laxity to the whole place where they aren't very pushed to do well because they make money anyway.

What do you do on a day-to-day basis?
It varies. I build features, fix bugs,  test new functionality, give colleagues code reviews, process their code reviews for me, etc.

What made you choose to work for that company?
The tech stack they had seemed cool, they seemed pretty professional. The market they were in was new to me and it intrigued me so I figured I'd give it a go. I worked there for a year.

What did you major in college?
Bachelor of IT

2019-07-29 21:11:36

Ditto to the most companies not caring about accessibility. Organizations usually have no clue what accessibility is but throw words/phrases/acronyms around as if they have even the slightest bit of knowledge on the subject.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-07-29 22:22:36 (edited by Hijacker 2019-07-29 22:24:25)

- besides from studying, yes, i'm working for a company since 5 years now.
- no, not right now, although I did a few things here and there years ago.
What area of development does your work focus on (web development, database management, AI, etc)?
- I used to work in the big wide SAP area which includes alot of stuff like database management and frontend development and switched over to web development a few years ago. I'm mostly working with backend tools there like JavaScript and Java, but also with databases which are deffinitely required for data storage and processing. I situationally have to work on frontends as well, using frameworks like Angular thus using TypeScript, to improve or check for accessibility struggles.
- I feel pretty comfortable where i'm working yeah. My colleagues are nice and we as a team pretty well work together.
- SAP was another story, but since we're mostly using command-line open source stuff in our web development area (apart from the IDEs), all the really important stuff is accessible, yeah.
- I wanted to get a dual education, means studying over the semester and work during the holidays so I'd finish with both, experience working as an employee and having a degree in computer science. My organisation was one of the few that allowed me to do that, and it worked out perfectly. i'm now in the last stages of getting my Master of Sciences finished and i'm still working for that company.

Regarding accessibility, its totally different over here in my company. My employers even want to use my skills regarding accessibility to offer new work to their contract partners and designers and graphics people ask me to check if a frontend is actually accessible and figure out ways to improve that.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-07-29 22:32:22

I'll take a crack at some of these.

I'm a professional software developer. I've done freelance for years, mostly accessibility/access tech related, though I've had a couple general web development gigs. I don't know if your definition of full-time is 40 hours/week, but I think that's kind of a ridiculous metric as long as you do the work that needs doing without burning yourself out. I do about 15/week now, though that's mainly due to being fairly strict on how much I'm willing to compromise my rates, and even then I'm probably a bit too generous. But even with a compelling rate, I'd probably max out at 30-35 hours/week, saving at least one weekday for creative or personal projects.

Are you working for a company? Yes and no. Essentially freelance, but I just took the step of creating an LLC, electing S corp tax status, setting up payroll, and putting myself on it. Huge pain in the ass, but it's given me a different perspective when I'm negotiating rates with clients. My overhead is much more front-and-center this way, and rates that seemed exorbitant don't seem nearly as high now that I'm on the hook for quarterly tax payments, employer taxes, etc. The numbers are probably fairly close to what they were as a sole prop, but with them due regularly, I don't feel nearly as bad about charging more.

What area of development does your work focus on? Pretty much full-stack, though I kick visual web design tasks onto other folks. My current gig has me dabbling in Kubernetes, a Hasura GraphQL API, a Vue frontend, a Kotlin backend, and all the glue/supporting tech needed to keep the whole herd of cats moving in roughly the same direction. That's another reason I try sticking to 15 or so hours per week, because after a few hours of that much context-switching, my brain wants to drip out of my ears. Today I just debugged an Auth0 issue where it turned out their developer documentation was almost certainly wrong. I'll be smoking a huge bowl after today's workout, that's for sure.

Is their in-house software accessible? Since I run this company of 1, I can categorically state that software to run a business is not at all accessible. I use Quickbooks Online to manage my finances, and basically just paid an accountant to set things up for me. Fortunately, most of it can be automated, and their form e-filing support saves me from having to submit paper, so accessibility-wise it's probably barely a net gain. I haven't found an accessible contract-signing service that works from the initiator side since docracy.com sold out to Eversign. If I'm ever fortunate enough to hire a team, or if my client ever becomes a company that can hire me personally, I know Slack isn't accessible as a groupchat solution. GitLab issues work well enough for tracking organizational work, but if we ever need project management beyond something like that, I'm not sure what we'll use. The whole thing is kind of exhausting, and contributes further to the brainmelt.

What made you choose to work for that company? For myself, the fact that I'm not chasing interviews, that I have some freedom in what I do. That I'm not stuck working an 8-hour day is also a plus, as is the fact that I don't have to commute, or to fight with whatever inaccessible collaboration tools some remote company uses. I keep hoping to pick audio game development back up, but haven't found the sweet spot between the demands of $dayjob and the creativity something like game development requires. Still, though, it's distinctly more possible working for myself than it'd be were I stuck in a cube.

What did you major in college? English, with computer science and business minors. But college was two decades ago, so it doesn't really matter quite as much anymore.

2019-07-30 21:29:51

Yes. I am working for a good-size and well-known company in the US. We're Facebook friends, so you might know which company. ha
No. But really thinking about it. Also, freelance sounds good. nolan, maybe you can give some advice as to what freelancing networks you use (word of mouth, websites, etc). I have a relatively good position at the moment, but I can see me getting tired in the future of the typical workday. smile
Well, I work as full stack developer, but the main product I help to support is a web-based product. We mainly use web technologies like JavaScript, ReactJS, etc on the frontend, and NodeJS and others in the backend. Git, Jenkins, and others are also used for management of code and bug tracking.
Some days I do, and other days I don't. At the end of the day, it puts money in my wallet, so can't complain too much. smile Also, I feel like a lot of people feel the same way about their jobs.
It's getting there thanks to me. lol Well, only half kidding. There are efforts being made to make it accessible after it was brought up.
What's the culture like?
It's your typical big-company culture. You kind of have to fight to get noticed or get lost in the chaos. Also, a lot of meetings!
What do you do on a day-to-day basis?
Code, debug, deploy, and more meetings!
Nothing really. I just had a few job offers right out of college, and picked the one that paid relatively well and fit my skill set.
What did you major in college?
Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
Do I see myself working in a different position?
Probably so in a year or two. My ideal position would be an Embedded Systems Engineer. I had such a position in the past, but couldn't really maintain it due to me being a university student. I really like low level coding. But I'm happy with anything related to coding, technology, etc!

2019-07-31 00:09:37

Heh, I'd be interested in some advice myself. smile I've actually gotten fairly lucky in that most clients came to me. I wrote a fairly major Android screen reader back in the day, and that scored me some long-term work which eventually dried up. I then bounced between accessibility testing gigs from a few folks who knew me before landing a long-term web development contract that began as accessibility testing. Now I'm in what looks to be another long-term full-stack position from another client who came to me, but I think I'm going to collect testimonials, slap up a simple static website, and see what comes of that. I'd like to start being more proactive rather than just taking whatever comes my way. Then again, part of me wants to use that time to make a go at commercial audio game development while I have paying work and don't need the extra income.

Hmm, maybe I'll start another thread.