2019-03-06 06:12:27

Hello guys!
For those who work in the area of computer technician, how do you do to enable accessibility if the target computer does not have any screen reader !?

2019-03-06 10:03:03 (edited by Thatguy 2019-03-06 10:03:29)

I'm not a computer technision, but maybe I could still help. Is the target computer mac, windows or linux?

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2019-03-06 11:47:03

It is pretty easy. Windows already has Narrator built in and that works even when installing it and can be activated by keystroke. Mac works the exact same way, no need to install anything, just pressing Cmd + F5 will activate VoiceOver. Linux however is a problem, because most distributions don't have a screen reader pre-installed and thus you won't get a chance to handle the OS without selecting a distribution with built-in screen reader like Debian.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-03-06 11:59:08

you can turn on narrator, and,
windows 10 narrator works pretty fine,

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2019-03-06 13:00:43

Here are specific ways to enable various screenreaders based on the OS
win7 and earlier: windows plus u
win10, ctrl plus windows plus enter
mac: cmd plus f5, or ctrl plus option plus f3
Linux is pretty hard to tell you what to do with, because, as outlined in post 3, not every distro comes with a built-in screenreader fresh out of the box

-

2019-03-06 13:19:24

If you have nvda on a usb drive:
1. hit windows plus m.
2. windows + r
3 type "D:\nvda\nvda"
4 hit enter
5 wait a bit
6 if nothing happens hit escape thrice to be extra safe
7 return to step 1, but now use drive letter e. Afterwards f, g, h, etc. I find this method faster than narrator.
If you don't have sound drivers, use a usb headset, or track down the drivers, install them on a vm (if possible), remember the keystrokes needed to install and then repeat the process on the physical hardware. Using a rewritable cdrom for this can help because you can hear the media spinning.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-03-06 16:13:50

stepps outlined in 6 work unless

1. Your working in a restricted environment where the run dialog isn't accessible. Many schools do this to prevent basic tampering with systems. If sound is on, you'll here the standard windows bong thingy. If not, you'll be randomly pressing keys opening god only knows what.

2. The drive letter is something other than D. This could be for a variety of reasons. You might be accessing another drive entirely, one that doesn't contain nvda\nvda.exe

When in doubt, use narrator as a bridge. Aside from that I find myself following these steps quite often.

2019-03-06 17:25:00

@6 that's why I said to keep increasing the drive letter. Technically it can also be a, b or c, but the chanse of someone having reconfigured their system in such a way is very small.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-03-06 18:03:12

Thanks for the tips, guys. I was really worried about activating the narrator on windows 7 and below.

2019-03-06 23:49:07

1) to enable narrator on windows 8 and 8.1, as well as early builds of win10, windows+enter.
2) If narrator is not enough for whatever reason, you can go grab a copy of NVDA using it, then use an installation, and or a portable copy, depending on what you're trying to do with the target machine. I'm not a technically certified support person, though I probably have the experience. At any rate, that's how I'd go about doing it.

2019-03-07 14:37:02

Well below windows 7, windows vista should also work with windows + enter, I think I'm not sure about windows xp, but windows enter or windows u should work. Otherweise, hitting windows + r, typing narrator and hitting enter should also work provided you're on a desktop.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-03-07 18:24:47

XP, vista, and 7 are windows-u. win-enter doesn't work on my 7.

2019-03-08 14:41:54

O in that case it's been too long since I've used them haha

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-06-07 13:35:18

Hello guys!
any idea to use NVDA on a remotely controlled computer?  I know there is the narrator, but NVDA is better, in my opinion

2019-06-07 14:55:24

I have no idea what you're asking, or am simply not versed in the matter. If you have a remote computer and are running narrator on it, I presume you are accessing it via remote desktop / teamviewer? if so, do the nvda install as normal (unless you're not an admin). Setting up nvda remote afterwards can be helpful as well (make sure you do it securely!)

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-06-07 15:06:00

guys i have question:
when you are bootcamping mac os, you need usb speakers ahem bluetooth speakers for do this or you still can enable narrator?

Yours kindly

2019-06-07 16:33:34

I'd recommend connecting a USB audio device to your Mac while installing Windows. When the Windows installer comes up, hold control and Command and press Enter.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-06-07 17:01:13

sorry, hey chris if i don't conect usb device with mac i can't hear narrator voice?

Yours kindly

2019-06-07 23:03:55

No, not on the 2016 macbooks or later, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

-

2019-06-08 02:54:42

I don't know, my Mac is from 2013 and I have to use a USB device until I get the drivers installed.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-06-10 19:24:11

On my 2017 mac with USBC, not even a USB or USBC device is enough to get speech.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me