2019-06-04 21:11:48

Why is it that a lot of the time when you contact any sort of tech support, it seems like they don't actually read what you spent time writing, and give you some sort of generic response... that's intended to fix a whole other problem?
Context: I'm having a problem with Mortal Kombat 11, that is very clearly linked to something on the server end rather than my own copy of the game involving looping screens I can't get out of in a certain part of the game, but the game itself runs perfectly fine. I sent a support request to WB, and got back... a list of ways to troubleshoot hardware difficulties? Maybe helpful under different circumstances, but in this specific situation... not at all.
This is just one example, but I've had other companies do this as well.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-06-04 22:47:23

They have no choice. There are strict scripts that tech support companies have to follow, and they can only escalate your ticket if all their requirements are satisfied. I hate it as much as the next person, even though IT is the field I want to go into, but that's just how it is.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-06-04 22:53:55

Because it's automation at first, then it moves to humans if it needs to, the automation is stupid, and can't really answer your questions. It just looks for some keywords and matches them against whatever is in its database.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-06-04 23:47:12

@turtlepower17
Wait, seriously? So if I get what you're saying, they actually do have to give that generic response even if the person on the other end already knows what's going on, just to cover some weird requirement? Assuming that you actually got a response from an actual human, anyway.
@ironcross32
I think that depends on the specific company, but a lot probably do do that, yeah.

2019-06-05 00:06:55

That's how a lot of tech support companies operate, yes.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-06-05 00:29:46

a lot of support centres  seem to have people who first answer your call that just have a script sheet in front of them. I think they assume most people calling are just idiots and their basic script will fix the problem. if not, then they hand you on to somebody that actually knows what they're doing. or at least knows more than they do.

it's bloody annoying. especially when you get questions like: can you tell me how many lights are flashing on your router and what color they are. and they won't carry on until you tell them even though you explain you can't see. there is often a language barrier to these places and I have had problems conveying the meaning of the word blind. makes you want to bang your head on the desk when you say, I'm blind and they reply, yes but can you tell me what lights you can see on the modem.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-06-05 00:37:02

That, thankfully is not something I've had to deal with just yet... not looking forward to it though whenever I have to. lol

2019-06-05 00:40:23

Ugh, I know, right? "I can't solve your capcha because I'm blind." "Just load a different image."

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-06-05 04:13:48

I agree, it's stupid when they copy paste an answer. Once i got banned from a game and contacted support, they copy pasted me some stuff that pissed me off then i posted my problem in the forums and found out that i got banned for not playing more than 9 months, contacted support again and now that i mentioned why i got banned, they unbanned me. but again, they copy pasted another thing after unbanning me.... this just means our custummers are worth nothing and we have to copy paste text.

2019-06-05 11:14:21

I often play the sighted card. and go around those script monkeys like this.
what is the culler of your lights?
red, red, red, are they blinking?
no. are they on?
yes. are they all on. no. that confuses them enough to eskelate it to a super visor who sounds less robotic, more human. and then from there we solve the issue.

There's a place for me in this universe.