2019-05-28 09:46:31

Ok, so a lot of us use audiobooks. I want to know some of your favorite narrators, since there are good ones and bad ones everywhere.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2019-05-28 11:05:37

I don't listen to audios as much as I used to, preferring ebooks these days, but when I did listen to lots of them, two of my favourite narrators were Sean Barrett and Frank Muller. I love Frank Muller's reading of Stephen King's Dark Tower. The motorcycle accident that ended his career and eventually killed him was a great shame. And Sean Barrett is just one of those narrators who adds gravitas to anything he reads. Love his reading of Bernard Cornwell's Grail Quest trilogy. He also did a really great job as a voice actor on Philip Pullman's ~Dark Materials; particularly his voice of the bear.

2019-05-28 13:32:11

A few of my favourites:

Frank Muller: I've listened to stuff throughout his career; he could do quiet and grave, and he could do spine-chilling too. Ran the table, really. Was a shame what happened to him.
George Guidell: Dry, but actually really effective, and you can tell this guy is/was stage-trained. Doesn't fit for everything but what he does, he does really, really well.
Pete Bradbury: He's not the most amazing in any category, but I just really like the way this guy reads stuff. Only issue is, he's a bit nasal, as if he's getting over a cold all the time.
Robin Miles: I could listen to her talk all day. Warm, gentle voice that has tons of expression in it. Doesn't overdo anything, and has a sense of what she's saying and how it comes across.
David Aaron Baker: Again, he's not amazing, but for the Odd Thomas series, he just...works. He can be perky and then grave, funny and then sad. His accents are nothing to write home about, but I have trouble picturing anyone else as Odd.
James Marsters: Same deal, except with Harry Dresden. His first few books, you can tell he's still learning his craft (a lot of volume/pacing/tonal issues) but as he gets further in, he gets much, much better. I love his sense of the ironic, as well as his ability to do tons of different accents (admittedly with varying degrees of accuracy).
Nick Podehl: This guy has read several books I like, and apart from the fact that he's woken me out of a dead sleep several times by yelling, he's excellent. A generally higher male voice (I speak in the approximate range he does, actually), his voice does all kinds of emotion well. He's one of those voice actors who doesn't try super-hard to have a million voices, one for each character.
Steven Fry: I've listened to Harry Potter as read by Jim Dayle, and it's not bad. Fry is more subdued in some places, but overall, I'm sorry to say this, he's just...better. Older-sounding, certainly, and less exciting in some places, but he's far, far more consistent, and personally he's the voice of the HP series for me, even though I'm Canadian, not British, and read the first three books as narrated by Dayle before finding Fry.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-05-28 14:51:40

I have a soft spot for Laury Main. and RIP, Long John Bauldry.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2019-05-28 15:22:35

James Masters. Aka. Spike. Reading the Dresden Files....yes please.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-05-28 20:45:55

Sometimes, books read by the author sound really great too, so if you find those, give them a try.

2019-05-30 01:39:49

I also Like Alexander J. Scorby. He was actually one of the first audiobook narrators, back in the 1950s.

-id software, 1995

2019-05-30 02:09:26

Talking of old-time narrators, I thought Nicol Williamson did a fantastic job of The Hobbit.

2019-05-30 04:52:04

definitely agree on Williamson's version of the Hobbit, but it's a pity it was abridged. Wish he would've actually read LOTR as well.
In contrast to Jade, Jim Dale is the voice of HP for me. I've read Fri's versions as wel and Jim Dale just... brings so much life to the characters. Just goes to show that two people can have wildly different opinions, both equally valid, about the same thing. I swear by Jim Dale for HP and likely will never change my mind on that one. lol
Mark Thompson, reads ome of the star wars legends novels, and does a fantastic job... I haven't actually looked into see what else he does.
Richard Rowen from graphic audio is my favourite narrator from that company. He has the ability to narrate anything from fantacy to comedy and can match his reading tone to either one, serious or light-hearted. I also don't listen to much in the way of audio books that aren't from Graphic audio. lol

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-05-30 06:40:50

January Lavoy is another good one. I'm not sure if I spelled that right, but same deal. She reads some of the Women's Murder Club books, starting with 11th Hour, and probably some other books, but I'm not exactly sure.

2019-05-30 11:49:08

Jonathan Davis is the best star wars narrator, as far as I'm concerned, though mark Thompson is very good. Sad so many of the star wars books are abridged.

I'm just going through my hard drive to spot good narrators. Whoever reads the red queens war series (no idea of the name) is superb, wish he read more; you don't get many bad Stephen king narrators either really. Helen Duff is definitely the better narrator of the book of the ancestor series, Anton lesser also good.

The award for absolute worst narrator goes to Roy Dotrice, he made ASOIAF unlistenable for me. The job should have gone to a more experienced (but not 90 year old) fantasy narrator imho.

2019-05-30 16:02:47

Not trying to start an argument, but my thing with Jim Dayle is that he's over the top. Some of his pronunciations are inconsistent as well. Yes, he's definitely way, way more energetic than Fry, at least most of the time. I'll give him that. And some of his voices are amazing. I'll give him that too. But at the end of the day, his inconsistencies really bug me. Also, when Hermione, especially, greets Harry, Dayle always has her going "Harryyyyyyyy!" in this really obnoxious way that makes my teeth itch.

2019-05-30 17:28:23

No argument made. Just a civilized discussion about differing opinions. I think most of those inconsistencies stem from the fact that there were changes made after the movies released, since he reads the American versions of the books. But everybody has their own taste, of course. There's just something about his style I like, enough so that I can look over some of the small things... the way Hermione greets Harry, for example, never really got to me. His rendition of her confronting Ron in the 7th book when he comes back is nothing short of spectacular even when I compare the two side by side. Same thing in the Goblet of Fire when the Weasleys go get Harry from the Dursleys. Fri's version of both scenes just lack something in both of them, though I can't really put my finger on it.

@11, again, differing opinions. Jonathan davis is good, but MArk Thompson is where it's at. All of davis's voices for some reason end up sounding similar, even if his tone and expression changes. Thompson just seems to do so much better with different voices, and I like his expressiveness as well. And it definitely is a shame that so many of the books are abridged!

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-05-31 01:32:21

I also like Loo Harpenal and Karry Kundif. Both have a background in voice over for assistive technology.

-id software, 1995

2019-05-31 03:06:18

Well I don't read audiobooks anymore, but when I did I had a lot of favorites. Len cariou, read Michael Connelly's harry bosch books, his narration is very convincing, the only thing I don't like is that his voice is so low that he can't do children's voices accurately. And frank muller will always be my number one, all the books he did are masterpieces. Then Richard ferrone, dick hill, and john rubinstein.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-05-31 05:17:08

Here's a curve ball. What about Mary Pope Osborne?

2019-05-31 09:03:30 (edited by bryant 2019-05-31 09:05:15)

Jim dale is probably one of my favorite narratoers. The only books I have heard from him are the Harry Potter series. Ive heard the first book by Fry, and Dale is just better for me. I don't like how Fry pauses in places, and he just reads too slow for my liking. However, I do agree with Jade about the fact that Jim Dale does say Haryyyyyyy and I have no idea why he does this. I love his singing of some of the songs in the book though. Fry doesn't do this, at least he didn't in the first book, he just says them. A lot of people are probably going to hate me for this, because I have talked to a lot of people who don't like this narrator, but I really like Eric Sandvold. Not his Harry Potter books narration, those are just better read by a british person, and he doesn't really do them justice, but he does a really good jub with everything else he reads. I don't feel like he gets talked about enough, so i'm bringing him up here.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2019-05-31 09:19:53

Let's see, Jill Fox, Pam Ward, Kristen Allison, Erin Jones, I could go on and on with good narrators. This is just from my previous downloads list, when I didn't have to guess on spelling someone's name.

2019-05-31 12:09:13 (edited by flackers 2019-05-31 12:10:17)

I like Eric Sandvold too. He is definitely a narrator that adds charm to a fantasy. Some of the pirated library of congress stuff that is floating around was recorded at the wrong speed, and he sounds like a chipmunk, but I still like it. Back when I didn't read ebooks, and only listened to audios, his LOC readings were the only way I could access Tad Williams' Otherland, so I associate his voice with one of my all-time favourites. I'm also in the Jim Dale camp when it comes to Harry Potter. Although in Britain, I think I'm a minority of one. I just heard Jim before Stephen, so for me he was the voice of Harry Potter. I get the criticism about the way he does Hermione, but for me he's another one who just brings a bit of charm to a fanciful tale.

2019-05-31 13:41:32

Pam Ward is pretty good, I'll give her that. Although her accent and her method of delivery wander back and forth between homely country and too much anxiety, but that's just me. She's good, but not great.

Then there's Lindsey Crouse, or however you actually spell that. I listened to her read Misery and Gerald's Game, and she's surprisingly good considering how samey her actual narration gets.

No, Fry doesn't really sing, and yes, he is absolutely slow at times. He speeds up where it counts, IMHO, or at least most of the time he does...but yeah, definitely slower, a pacing issue. He does fewer voices, but I feel his accents are better. If you want an example of what I mean, just listen to his Moody or his Tonks (he does a really good menacing growl for Moody, and the Tonks family all have a very northern accent that's actually pretty genuine from all accounts). Dayle's McConagall is priceless though. They definitely both have their high points and their low points. And hey, it's not like I absolutely can't or won't listen to Dayle. I just prefer Fry, that's all.

So, so glad none of you have mentioned Bob Askey, by the way. Ugh, that guy. Ugh.

2019-05-31 15:26:20 (edited by flackers 2019-05-31 15:27:49)

RNIB had a few dodgy narrators back when its talking books were read by volunteers. It's a bit ungrateful perhaps, seeing as how they were giving up their time free to make books available to people like me, but some of them were pretty funny, and some were simply unlistenable. There was one old guy who had a boiled sweet stashed in his cheek. I spent the whole time just waiting for him to adjust it and have a swallow. Another one kept turning her head to look at her cat that was meowing in the background. The worst one I remember was a narrator who left massive pauses between every sentence to the point you just lost the will to live. And the worst thing was, it was the second book in a series, and the first had been read really well. It used to really piss me off that RNIB never seemed to use the same narrator for a series. You'd get things like Lord of the Rings read by three different people. Thankfully they mostly have permission to use the commercial audios now, or they pay proper voice actors.

2019-05-31 15:58:11 (edited by Chris 2019-05-31 16:12:47)

Let's see here. Rupert Degas is awesome! I've only listened to him read the first four Skulduggery Pleasant books and for Lyra's Daemon in His Dark Materials, but he's awesome!

Stephen Hogan is also very good. He reads Skulduggery Pleasant books 6-9 and is in my view even better than Degas. I'll have to find more fantasy titles read by both these guys.

Cynthia Holloway is very good as well. I've only listened to her read Cassandra Palmer, but I could listen to her all day. It's a shame she quit reading the series starting with Tempt the Stars. What happened to her? Did she die or quit? I can't find anything narrated by her after about 2011.

Luke Daniels is awesome! That is all! I love his performance of The Iron Druid Chronicles.

Oliver Wyman is also very good. I love most any fantasy series read by him. I especially like his Monster Hunter narration. Speaking of which, when is Monster Hunter Guardian coming out?

Tim Curry is awesome! I think the only books worth listening to are A Series of Unfortunate Events, but this guy has a very soothing voice to listen to. He rocks!

The only narrators I like from NLS are John Polk, Christin Allison, and Eric Sandvold. The rest of them are terrible. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. This is why I prefer the commercial audio book market.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-05-31 16:23:45

Bob Askey, and David Palmer, have a similar flat delivery that works for consistencys sake. Yes, it's not great for character voices, but if you just want the material you kind of forget about the voice because it's so consistent. Sanvold isn't bad, but don't listen to him do harry potter.

2019-05-31 17:02:29

My favorite narrator is Eloquence. I've read millions of words in books and fanfic with Eloquence. I suppose I have to reiterate what other people have said though, Jim Dayle, Luke Daniels, Dick Hill, Tim Curry are all awesome.

2019-05-31 22:11:06 (edited by Chris 2019-05-31 22:17:37)

A text-to-speech synthesizer? Heh! I only listen to books read by a text-to-speech engine as a last resort. The more human sounding voices make the experience tolerable, but not pleasant. Listening to Eloquence or eSpeak reading a book for leisure? Nooooo!

I'd read Braille, but Braille Displays are impractical for books and if I had physical Braille books, let's just say I'd have several rooms or an entire building full of volumes!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.