2019-04-30 05:27:07

I was having a poke around the db, and went  onto the valiant galaxy associates site, remembering the fun I had with traders of known space.

Turns out they have some really interesting news about some upcoming projects, which include yes, a 4x space strategy game, and a good commercial expantion to traders of known space, which both sound awesome.

See Said news here

I actually ought to reinstall their games on this machine and check things out since I do remember quite enjoying traders, and Yellow bonnet for what it was, and interceptor, though short did provide some great atmosphere.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-30 08:05:04

Oh and just in memory of this I fired up interceptor and totally destroyed the game! Actually it was far easier than I remember it being, or otherwise marriage has just improved my gaming skills! :I do wish I'd not got a bit confused and used an emergency system replacement mid way through.

Hay, still blowing the crap out of that mother ship was fun!

Statistics for Playthrough of the Interceptor Game, on Version 20 (quick mode)
The game lasted 1 hours, 7 minutes and 55 seconds and ended on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 7:3 AM - The player beat the game! woohoo!

5 epsilon, 2 delta, 3 gamma, 0 beta, 4 alpha, 1 tanker, 1 command and control and 1 mother ships were destroyed, for a total of17.
The interceptor destroyed 1 vessels with just one attack, and 6 with two. It fired 53 shots and 23 rockets.
The interceptor took 78 turns, traveled 1136750 meters, consumed 3366 energy and it's reactors produced 2119 energy. Opponents took 42 turns.
Final level reached: 10, final score: 221000!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-30 19:33:13

This is exciting!
I enjoyed there games and always wanted to play Intercepter, but it needed online money, something I didn't have.

2019-05-01 02:16:41

Yep, interceptor might be a little short, but I was surprised myself how much fun tactical turn based space combat was when I fired up the game again, and we've been wanting an expantion to traders of known space ever since the game was first released.

2019-05-01 02:25:26

Hi,

Jeremy here.

We are currently in beta testing for Expanding Known Space.  This will be a strategy game set during the First Interstellar Wars period of our  Valiant Galaxy timeline.  The game uses a grid system similar to TKS, but is greatly expanded.  There's 40 planets on the map, and the game can be won in a number of ways on normal mode.  The most common ways will be a military victory wehre you eliminate all enemy planets and/or ships, a colonization victory where you colonize 60% or more of the galaxy, an economic victory where you control 60% or more of the galactic economy, or a capital control victory where you seize the enemy's capital.  Each condition must be completed for four turns of game time which equals a year of game play. 

There's six types of ships, intelligence gathering, and other things to make game play interesting. 

The game does not use a civilization style build a unit and wait for it to complete methodology like Time of Conflict or Sound RTS, but uses a purchase units to replace units expended in the current round model.  First there is a purchase phase, then a movement phase, a combat phase, then a placement phase. 

The game is probably going to be released in the summer.  We have a few major additions to make, and these will have to be tested. 

Price will probably be 19.99 and will be through Guidedog Games like our other titles. 

So far, the beta test team has liked it, and I'm enjoying testing it a lot.  This was actually our second game that went into development after Interceptor, but it got put on the back burner for a while.  Once we finished this, we have a couple of mini games in the offing which will depart from a strictly SF format.  Then we'll have to see.  The Traders of Known Space expansion is in process, but its very very complex.  We really like the interaction between map and menu drivien game play that we have with Expanding Known Space, and we've talked about possibly making an Interceptor expansion that would use some of the same ideas to take interceptor into a more dynamic and more difficult arena. 

I'll try and check this thread periodically to answer questions.

Jeremy

Valiant Galaxy Associates Company, owned by Aaron Spears and Jeremy Brown develops and markets audiogames for the Blind and Low Vision markets.

2019-05-01 02:44:26 (edited by defender 2019-05-01 02:45:10)

I would like their games allot more if they had more challenging difficulty modes and didn't use self voicing, or at least not the same voice as the previous ones.
I didn't want to say it because it's not very nice, but I honestly think that's one of the main reasons people give for not playing them, it's just really distracting...
Most games also seem a bit unfinished, like the framework is their but things that would make it more interesting aren't E.G. interceptor.
Still cool games though, nice concepts, solid coding, good controls, and interceptor especially (though I thought it could have been expanded and improved) was awesome!  Particularly for the low asking price.
I especially liked the Atari voice and sound effects!  And the modular damage thing is always pretty cool too.
I would also like to see a move away from guide dog games if possible though, as it's really dead in the water and wasn't adopted by other companies.  Personally I think that's a shame because other games could have benefited from a third party account system they didn't have to code or run their own servers for, but at this point I think most people find it to be an unnecessary headache to use a third party program that you consistently have to log into, rather than something in game or in the background.
It wont' be the end of the world for me if it stays the same though, I just feel like you'll get fewer sales.

I'm excited to see what expanding known space will be like!  It sounds really cool and I've always wanted more lords of the galaxy/star traders type games for the PC.
P.S. Sorry to hear about your health issues and props for sticking in there with development where others might have given up.  We need more people that can keep projects going over a long period of time around here.

2019-05-01 05:16:26

Sounds awesome, I always thought there was more in the format both in terms of what was done with yellow bonnet and traders of known space, and I've always wanted a single player space colonisation game myself.

While I do agree it would've been nice if other developers used the guidedog client as a distribution system, the fact that I was able to install all three vga titles with no hassle whatsoever, despite having changed my primary screen reader, operating system, computer, house, county and marital status since the last time I played them was definitely a bonus, and since my login details were remembered from game to game hitting alt l on the client window isn't such a trial, though of course that might not be the case if I was out with my laptop and wifi wasn't available.

In terms of self voicing, on the one hand I like that the VGA games do something different and its nice not to listen to Daniel etc, on the other hand, you might consider changing the quality and style of the voicing since some matters sounded a wee bit unclear, though I'm not going to quibble too much over this as  know how much work goes into adding voicing for a game (though if you wanted either myself or the now Mrs. Dark, who has worked as a professional actress to help with voicing we'd be glad to).

In terms of difficulty, I wouldn't say the games are too easy so much as they need a few more variable elements to change a player's actions. In traders the player is doing the same thing with 100 cargo space as with five, and having extra guns etc don't really make as much difference, while in interceptor only really the rockets and computer assisted neutrino cannon make sense to use, especially with how you can instantly close with an enemy ship.
Again though, none of these are major issues and just require a bit of rebalancing, for example changing the ap needed for commputer assisted shots or the max distance its possible to travel between ships, and maybe upping particle beam damage a bit, plus adding in more ship types, missions and different circumstances which require use of different tactics, EG enemies equipped with scramblers which make computer assisted shots impossible, or fights in different parts of space with different consequences (I always remember the fight in smugglers five hwere I took on a corvette class battleship in a region of electromagnetic instability, and won by negating their ability to withstand the emp's whilst dodging them myself and firing off the odd missile which they were unable to avoid).

All of this is just basic balancing though and matters we went into at the time, and is another reason I've loved the idea of extensions to the existing games and systems, actually as I said, I( was surprised how much fun interceptor was when I came back to it, and I'll probably be giving yellow bonnet and Tks another try in the next few days too.

2019-05-01 10:41:47

Hi,
Good to hear that you're going to release new titles.
I agree about the self-voicing and guide dog though, that voice you use for ecample in TKS was horrible and that Guidedog Thing is just unnecessary.
Except for that great News!

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2019-05-01 12:46:36

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  As to the self-voicing and the GDG usage, that's been covered in other places, and I don't think addressing it here will really add a lot.

As to making the games more difficult.  Interceptor was a first game, and was, essentially, a port of a game I designed in high school.  As it stood, it had major flaws, but it was enough different from other offerings that we went ahead with it on the understanding that at some point we'd revisit it and change how it works.  Right now, the idea with it is to do something more in terms of missions, multiple fighter engagements at one time, and more tactical use of space.

TKS was never meant to be a huge or complex game either.  It was a free release meant to give a different view of the VGA universe.  It got a lot more feedback in that respect than either of us really expected.  Hence, why we're looking at expanding it.

Yellowbonnet was always meant as a mini game and thus fairly small scale.

Expanding Known Space is a much larger project.  We've been working on it off and on for 5 years, and it has a lot of customizable variables that make it less predictable.  It's not where I would like it in terms of the computer player's abilities on normal settings, but I like strategy games and play them often.  We're not going to strengthen this mode much more than it is now, as I find it fairly easy, but some of our beta test team had a lot of trouble with it.  I think it's a good balance currently.

However, that said, options are being added to give the computer a distinct advantage and make it a more difficult game in a number of ways. 

I don't want to project too much because ideas get changed as design notes come into contact with coding issues, but I am wanting to have several victory conditions or mission states that are more difficult.  Things such as games that last only a certain number of turns and require you to accomplish certain goals in that amount of time, or giving the computer a numerical and economic edge over the player.  I don't know how much of that will make it into the final product. 

When we do interceptor's expansion, I might come back to tapping the audio games.net community for voice acting abilities.  One thing I always wanted to add to the original game was radio chatter from other interceptors in the squadron as well as messages from the mother ship, as well as interception of alien messages.

Rerecording the entire voice over script would be a time consuming project.  I believe that it is currently close to 600 files at the moment if you include all games, and that could be fairly tedious. 

One last comment in response to Defender about GDG.  I don't think saying that GDG is dead in the water is necessarily true.  First and foremost, we are still helping Dennis to develop the client and make the platform better.  It is a work in progress, and since Dennis is working full time, programming for Stellar Aeon and Alter Aeon, and then occasionally working on GDG, it isn't a fast fix for issues.  However, that said, the system works well for what we wanted, and what he originally envisioned.  I think it's sad more developers haven't taken it on as a possibility, but I understand the reasons.  The big advantage to GDG over some other developer's systems of distributing games and keys though, and Dark touched on  this, is that Dennis keeps executables of the games we make so that they will still be available even if we go bye bye.  In that way, he's doing something similar to what John has done with the audio games archive.  However, since GDG is a living system, I think that does provide one advantage that developers might reconsider.  If a game might earn a little residual income years down the road, that might be another inducement.  I don't know how many times I've seen people ask here, or on Audyssey, for contact information or where to download a game, or access a commercial game that used keys, once the developers have disappeared. 

Thanks again for all the interest and the critiques.  Games do not develop without good feedback systems.  We appreciate it. 

Jeremy

Valiant Galaxy Associates Company, owned by Aaron Spears and Jeremy Brown develops and markets audiogames for the Blind and Low Vision markets.

2019-05-01 13:01:23

A quick response to Dark about rebalancing Interceptor or TKS.

In the case of Interceptor, when we revisit the game we're going to totally restructure the game.  It will use a map mode similar to TKS or EKS for movement related issues, and also to handle certain hazard and other issues.

It will be necessary to revisit all the issues you raised when we do so.  The next iteration of Interceptor will not be the old game with a couple of tweaks.  Weapon ranges will have to be changed, computer assisted shot needs to be toned down, and there's other things that need to be addressed. 

We also want to try and make the computer opponents smarter about how they react.  Since we'll be adding in engagements with multiple fighters at once, we also need to better handle damage from multiple vectors.  I've already begun roughing out design notes for this, and it looks fairly simple on paper--but it always does.

We made a list of suggestions made by the forum here and elsewhere, as well as ideas we came up with on our own to make the idea of missions happen, as well as new weapons, new enemies, etc. 

This will be a long term goal though.

With TKS, a lot of the changes to it involve more how to make money and not making it all about just flying from planet to planet.  That's a slow process, and got abandoned for the last year or better while we went back to EKS.  We are intending to finish it, but it might be longer.

Some of those ideas include missions that take you to specific places, playing the stock market, etc.  We've expanded the map of TKS as well to bring it more in line with EKS' map, and so there's a lot more to see.

One project that I have mentioned here and elsewhere, that we intend to do before we move on to anything else is to finish an in house utility for generating map content for our games.  This would allow me to set up map conditions, some character information, objects, etc, and Aaron could use generic code to make that information come to life for new games. 

We're still experimenting with this, but if we can get it working correctly, we'll be using it in our next two mini games. 

As a sneak peek at those, one will be a murder mystery game that uses a Clue style mechanic to randomize the who done it part of the game, and a few changes to make the game play more interesting than just talking to people about places, weapons, and suspects.  I've not seen anything like this in audio games before, and I thought it might be a good game concept for the logic puzzlers out there.

The other game will be a pirate themed rescue game where you must try and rescue the governor's daughter from a pirate ship.  Those are both not intended to be heavy weight huge projects, but we wanted to do a couple of smaller things after EKS.  It has been much more of a slog, as Aaron loves to remind me, than I first predicted when I proposed going back to it.

I guess the short form of this post is, we're aware of some of the balance issues with the games, and in expansions they are being addressed.  Probably not to everyone's taste, but I gave up trying to please everyone all the time a long time ago. 

Thanks again for the good feedback,

Jeremy

2019-05-01 20:01:49

@vga... will your games like interceptor and TKS be completely playable offline once you restructure them?

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-05-01 21:50:22

In response to the questions about online play.  The free version of TKS is still and will continue to be playable offline.  Commercial games will not.  We are committed to GDG even if no one else is, and part of the appeal to us is the authentication and error checking abilities the online connection gives us. 

Take care,

Jeremy

2019-07-15 00:47:12

Hello everyone!

Expanding Known Space has finally been released. See the post for it at:
https://forum.audiogames.net/post/44891 … 7/#p448917

We were pleased this thread started up over our news tidbit all those weeks ago. Thanks everyone for your interest.