2019-04-28 01:54:29 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2019-04-28 01:57:29)

What are some exotic foods you have had from around the world, or have on a daily basis?  For me, an American, the most common international cuisine. I eat is Mexican, partially because of my background and because I have had a liking for it since I was young.  I have had most other common international food as well, however I am hesitant to try some foods from specific  regions  because they may have tree nuts, some of which I’m allergic to like walnuts and pecans,  eating any of which would result in an EpiPen to the leg and a trip to the hospital.

I have not however, had any food from any of the 54 African countries, something I feel needs to be fixed when I can find a good place.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-04-28 02:28:44

I've eaten Escargot on a cruze ship once, the site of me eating had my mother running for the bathroom. I've also eaten Chicken pat tie (thai met and noodles dish), wantans (asian fried crab and cheese dish also known as ragoons or crab rolls), and fried rabbit (which was burned to a crisp and ended up tasting like coconut).

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2019-04-28 15:00:56

Funny to think of rabbit as an exotic thing. Though not as common in Britain as it used to be, you still get it occasionally, indeed our local butcher makes rabbit pies, which my lady and I have on a semi regular basis.
I was also surprised when I was in the states how little people over there had Indian or Arabic food, since in Britain I grew up with both, and these days curries, kebabs and Kofta are all common items over here, as well as Japanese Raman, Chinese dimsum and mexican food, plus the more standard fish and chips. the bigger problem is more one of quality, especially when you get into some of the less savory types of local takeaways.

I admit I have a bit of a texture problem with a lot of soft fruit and certain raw vegetables like tomatoes, which limits a few of the more exotic thing I can have, kiwi fruit is out for example, however I do try to try different things when I get the chance.

Some more unusual things I have tried include:
Zebra (our local pub used to  do amazing zebra meatballs), Kangaroo (a bit disappointing), frogs legs (absolutely lovely), Escargot, that is snails in shells (very nice if you like shellfish, not if you don't), ducks tongues (quite unusual and not my favourite), Squirrel (tastes rather like Liver), squid ink rizotto, more unusual for how it looked than how it tasted, deep fried ravioli nachos, which was wonderfully weird and quite nice, chicken feet, (which I was not keen on), tempora battered celery, which was really good, and even deep fried mars bars or snickers, which are sort of lik a heart attack waiting to happen big_smile.

I'm also quite keen on actual game birds, pheasant is one of my favourite roasts, and my family have had goose for Christmas several times which is nice.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-29 01:10:38

I've had a whole duck's body once, tasted like a barbecue.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2019-04-29 02:21:04 (edited by defender 2019-04-29 02:22:35)

Most interesting thing I've eaten was goat, which is nothing.  Takes spices well, and allot like lean beef just tougher and a bit more fibrous.

Other than that, I partly grew up on East Indian food (punjab region) so I'm pretty into that.  Stomach can't take the same level of spice now as it used to though. :-(

2019-04-29 02:37:50

Where I live now, there are a lot of different food places. And yet, very few are on par with those back where I lived before, and many are much the same. When it comes to world food, quality  can make or brake it.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-04-29 04:14:10

Yeah, goat is nice, though I've only ever had it stewed.
My lady loves fish,  so  we tend to eat a lot of fish, and of various kinds. Pollock for example is waaaay nicer than cod or haddock and is becoming a much more common thing in Britain (we just had some for dinner yesterday). I'm personally less keen on mackerel or kippers, and tuna I only tend to like if prepared correctly which it often isn't.

Mullet and munk fish are two absolute favourites of mine which are quite unusual, indeed at the same West Indian restaurant where I had the curried goat, they do an absolutely amazing monk fish  stew with muscles.

One other odd thing which I do like is  Haloumi cheese. This is a thick, rather rubbery goat cheese with a salty after taste (originating in cypress. The key thing about it though, is that it is one of the few cheeses that does not melt. This means you can have it fried, grilled, or better still barbecued, indeed these days a lot of vegetarian breakfasts are using it instead of bacon, which is good sinced its much nicer.

A friend of mine barbecued some a while ago which  was absolutely fantastic!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-29 20:00:58

IF you get a chance, eat a yak burger. They are delicious.

thanks,
Michael

2019-04-29 23:39:24

They better be, considering how bad yack's smell.

2019-04-30 04:42:08 (edited by Dark 2019-04-30 04:42:37)

Hmmm, i'll definitely try one if I get the chance, though oddly enough given this topic we actually had bamby burgers yesterday, that is vennison burgers, and yee gods they were loverly!

Venison is something I do like, though I don't get to have it quite as often as I'd really want to.

2019-04-30 22:27:45

I found venison burgers to be really good too, although they can be a bit dry. Bison is the same, but yak is pretty good.

thanks,
Michael

2019-05-01 17:13:12

I'm all into exotic stuff as long as it's not fermented and rotten. My country, my region in particular has its way to make anything exotic. We have spiced baked rotten meat with crushed baked rice. We have the version of northern Larb with minced meat completely uncooked and drenched in blook. And the most epic, ost gut wrenching of all, we have Lu, a dish of raw, liquid blood completely uncooked and spiced, eaten with noodles.
On a lessure level, we have insects, many kinds of insects. While I don't take all of the food listed above, I'm all into insects. Crickets, larvas, grasshoppers, subterranean ants, red ant eggs, bugs from buffalo poop...you name it.
There're some food not native to my region that are considered exotic and gut wrenching as well. We have Koi made of raw catfish soaked in Larb paste and veggies. We have dancing shrimp which is a plate of live shrimps soaked in lemonade and spices, dancing all over while we catch them one by one, rip their heads off and devour them just like that. I'm not into raw meat, raw blood or anything rotten. Aside from insects, I pass all of what's listed.
And, who says chicken pad thai is exotic? It's not at all.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2019-05-04 10:32:38

Wow some interesting stuff there Mata. What exactly is Larb? I've never heard of that, but then again I'm not really up on Thai cuisine.

I'm not sure if I fancy the idea of eating anything that is actually still alive or indeed anything rotten (while I have eaten oysters they were definitely cooked first). On the other hand I do like my steak rare and enjoy sushi and snails, so while to most English people the idea of eating insects  or raw food is sort of disgusting I'd be willing to give it a try if I got the chance. I did at one point have a wood pigeon served rare which was very tasty.

Oh and BTW, I've never had actual blood in a liquid state, but one part of the traditional full English Breakfast is black pudding. This is basically grain, pepper and spices stuck together with pigs blood and usually grilled. Done badly they taste like rather crappy sausages, done well they're absolutely lovely.

When I was in Ireland, they also had white puddings, these are similar to the black puddings but made with a bit more oats and grain and a bit less spice, so are milder in flavour, they were nice to try but I think I prefer the black pudding.
I've heard there are red puddings kicking around which are made with more blood than black puddings, but I've never tried those.