2019-04-24 05:13:55 (edited by superb 2019-04-24 05:21:14)

Hello. I am having a strange issue with my computer. Everything functions, but the screen is totally black to anyone who attempts to see it, unless they have a flash light, and only then can they see it faintly. The microsoft support people did everything they could think of, changing the graphics settings on apps, changing the theme, the background, everything. No changes. They said it might be an LCD problem.There are no bumps or cracks in the screen as far as I have seen. I am a college student, and sometimes I need sighted assistance to check if a paper is formatted correctly. Does anyone here believe it to be an LCD issue, or does anyone have a fix for this?
Thanks.

2019-04-24 05:39:46 (edited by Chris 2019-04-24 05:41:35)

Disable the JAWS Screen Shade or Narrator developer mode features. If these features are on, your screen will be black to anyone looking at it. Turning off your screen reader(s) should also get rid of the black screen if it's caused by the screen reader.

Make sure your brightness is set to something besides 0. If that doesn't work, It's very possible that your display burned out or has many dead pixels. If it's a laptop, you're most likely out of luck, unless there's a way to replace the display.

Have you tried connecting an external display device to your computer via HDMI, VGA, DVI, or whatever video connector your computer uses? If video works on the external display, your graphics card is working which means it's most likely a problem with your LCD.

If you can't afford to have it fixed, you can probably carry on normally and wirelessly cast your screen to a projector when you need help. The screen reader doesn't care if you have a display device connected since it gets all its information from the operating system directly.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-04-24 14:29:42

Hmmmm, you say they can some what look at it with a flash light, that means most likely that your backlight went out, which happenned on one of my older phones and it was a pain for sighted to look at it, but for me it was fine.
smile Howp you get it fixed.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-04-24 14:37:39

Yeah, my thought is either dead pixels, a blown backlight as was pointed out, or something wonky with drivers. I'm thinking it's one of the first two. Let me know what happens when you connect an external display.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-04-24 14:48:55

You won't have that many dead pixels that none of them come on. I mean, you might have a blotch of them, or a line of them, or something, but not every single pixel on the screen is gonna quit all at once. I think its a screen shade issue or brightness, failing either of those, backlight has failed.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-24 14:51:39

Ask a sighted person to look at the screen, then reboot. Does the screen activate properly during the initial boot process? if so, it's your screenreader / drivers / settings. If not, hardware problem most likely.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-04-24 15:31:01

if it's not a laptop adjust the brightness from monitors settings, there should be a place in the bottom where it wrote the names of the buttons.

2019-04-25 00:14:55

a little off topik, but I am also havving a problem with my computer
if I open an app like mooveymaker, camra, or tri to do a vidio call on skype, the computer just randomly restarts.
I doen't evon know how to fix it, I am stumped.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.