2019-03-29 19:02:35

Hi Guys.

Some of you will know about the Sonus Interactive audio console I am working on, well today I finished a rough version of a PC Player.

The Sonus has free to download tool kit to make games called the G D E, with tutorials on the www.sonusinteractive.co.uk website. however these games needed the console to play which isn't released yet. So I decided to release a PC Player to allow people to start making games and sharing their creations which is what it is all about.

So if anyone wants to give game development a try. please feel free to download the new GDE which has gone through a big update and can now make 3D audio enviroments (Ive added a tutorial on the tutorials page on how to do that).

The GDE also now has a faster way to make games using GDE script to quickly add actions to events but I havent made a tutorial on that yet but will do soon.

If anyone has any questions or feedback, please do share. Either on here or on the feedback form on the website or our twitter or facebook page.

2019-03-30 02:32:35

Cool. We'll give this a try!

2019-03-30 07:27:16

thanks a lot for this, it sounds awesome. i will try it when i am home. keep up the good work!

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-03-30 09:53:57

awesome!
are there any games that you've made before that we can try playing with the player?

2019-03-30 15:04:51

Obviously the main focus is the console so I apologise for any bugs, but please let me know and I'll try to get round to fixing any that are found.

I havent had any time to make any games for it but I could release the demo game that you may have seen on youtube. its only about 10 minutes of gameplay though.

2019-03-30 16:05:39

Wow. Thanks for this amazing release. I'll dive more into this project for sure, and hopefully learn to make anything playable out of it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-03-30 16:37:18 (edited by Xvordan 2019-03-30 16:38:45)

I've got the DGE and PC Player both installed on a windows 10 machine, and whenever I go to run in GDE or try to load a built game into the PC player, I get .net errors. Am I missing a version of .net that these two applications require?

Re: included games, I think it'd be a smarter idea to include the games in the tutorials The package is meant to be a content creation and testing tool, not so much a free offering of a game for people to play.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2019-03-30 16:57:22

Hi Xoren,

a .net error could be a number of things. what game is it that you are trying to play? and has it been tested in the sonus debug mode first, as the debug mode can pick up issues with games better than the PCP Player. The PCP player is intended for finished games.

Both applications use .NET Framework version 4 or above, so if the GDE works the PCP player should as well.

2019-03-30 17:06:12

I was just trying to run the Counter tutorial in debug mode. It never really worked, since as soon as I clicked run, it slammed me with .net errors. The PC Player did likewise with a built game. I'll try running again and capture the details info.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2019-03-30 17:14:17

If you could get more details that would be great Xeron.

I can only test it on my own machine so I'm sorry I miss some issues. hopefully I've just made a mistake and left a  library out of the install apckage or something.

2019-03-30 17:55:45

I'm very happy to see this project evolving, it really needed some positional audio capabilities so I'm glad to see Sonus getting this.

I tried to follow the fly example. On one of my computers, in the GDE I get no sound. If I build the game and try to run it on the PCP, it errors out (looks like it's dropping a backslash somewhere). On another computer it crashes when I try to run it in the GDE with a different error which I'll try to post later. For now, here's the error I get in the PCP

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'D:\apps\flyviewpoint.dat'.
File name: 'D:\apps\flyviewpoint.dat'
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at System.IO.File.OpenRead(String path)
   at Sonus_PCP.Debug_GlobalFunctions.LoadGameObject(String ObjectDirectory, Int32 ID) in c:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\Sonus PCP\Sonus PCP\Debug_GlobalFunctions.cs:line 226
   at Sonus_PCP.Form_DebugMode.StartGame() in c:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\Sonus PCP\Sonus PCP\Form_DebugMode.cs:line 638
   at Sonus_PCP.Form_DebugMode.button2_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\Sonus PCP\Sonus PCP\Form_DebugMode.cs:line 923
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.OnKeyUp(KeyEventArgs kevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Sonus PCP
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Sonus%20PCP/Sonus%20PCP.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Renci.SshNet
    Assembly Version: 2016.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2016.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Sonus%20PCP/Renci.SshNet.DLL
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
NAudio
    Assembly Version: 1.8.5.0
    Win32 Version: 1.8.5.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Sonus%20PCP/NAudio.DLL
OpenTK
    Assembly Version: 3.0.1.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Sonus%20PCP/OpenTK.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-03-30 18:03:22

Hi Pitermach.

That error message says it is looking for an object called flyviewpoint. which it cannot find. the tutorial asks you to make an object called fly and a seperate object called viewpoint, which is how we listen to the fly. this could be an issue with the project itself rather than the PCP. Have a look at the create action in the creation event on viewpoint an make sure you are jsut making an object called fly.dat.

The reason you might not get any sound on the GDE is because the fly object is never being created. instead it is trying to make flyviewpoint which doesnt exist.

let me know if this helps

2019-03-30 18:42:07

@12 thanks for your reply. The issue I was running into turned out to be that I forgot to create the fly object inside the viewpoint's creation event. After doing that, things now work as expected.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-03-30 18:47:52

I'm glad you have it working pitermach. which also now indicates Xoren's issue is related to his system.

Hopefully he will post some error messages so I can try and look further into it for him.

2019-03-30 22:42:37

I must have some dependency missing somewhere. Even trying to close the GDE gives me an error like so:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Sonus_GDE.Debug_Data' threw an exception. ---> System.DllNotFoundException: openal32.dll
   at OpenTK.Audio.AudioContext.CreateContext(String device, Int32 freq, Int32 refresh, Boolean sync, Boolean enableEfx, MaxAuxiliarySends efxAuxiliarySends)
   at OpenTK.Audio.AudioContext..ctor()
   at Sonus_GDE.Debug_Data..cctor() in C:\Users\Aaron\Dropbox\GDE\Sonus GDE 2.1.3 - OpenAL Audio Mixer\Sonus GDE\Sonus GDE\Debug_Data.cs:line 259
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Sonus_GDE.MainForm.MainForm_FormClosing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e) in C:\Users\Aaron\Dropbox\GDE\Sonus GDE 2.1.3 - OpenAL Audio Mixer\Sonus GDE\Sonus GDE\Form_Main.cs:line 1545
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnFormClosing(FormClosingEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2019-03-31 11:57:33

Hi Xoren,

Yes thats the audio controller DLL that is missing. Some windows machines have it readily installed and some don't.

I have included a download link on the GDE page to a DLL install package that should fix it. it should be as simple as downloading it and clicking install.

Please let me know if this resolved the problem, hope this helps.

2019-03-31 16:42:02

How far along is the console? I guess we really can't make realistic racing simulations, E.G. Nascar, which probably would require at least 32 objects on a track, but only 16 can play at a time.

2019-03-31 17:21:05

Hi.
I've spend the last two hours trying to get the counter example to work, but I'm not having much luck. I have tried three times with three different projects, where I went through everything step by step to make sure I do exactly what the tutorial says.
I'm having the following issues:
1. I can't read the debug window.
2. I'm getting Dotnet errors as well, but I can't read the errors, not even when choosing details. If I keep trying, the whole GDE program crashes.
I have installed OAL audio which doesn't solve the issue.
I'm not sure on how to give more information regarding those issues.
I wanna learn how to make games with this tool so badly. I think I'll be able to learn at leased the basics, but I find it difficult when I can't get just the simplest example to work.
I'm sharing my project, just to check if it's me who have made any mistakes, or if it's any Dotnet issue I'm having.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kf6pq7x5ryhp0c/test.gde?dl=0
I think I'm starting to understand how the GDE works. It is very complex, and it will take a lot of time for me to learn to use it effectively, but I think I'll manage to learn at leased the basics to make some small mini games.
The tool seems to be a great tool to even create massive games if that's what people wanna make.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2019-03-31 17:49:29

Thanks for the library download. Now GDE works fine when running in debug mode, but PC Player gives me the following .net error when I try to play a built project: I've looked in the path, and that controller.dat file is definitely there. Looking at the error, though, it looks like the game isn't adding a backslash after the directory path. It should be looking for "Game\Controller.dat" not "GameController.dat".
In another note, I really think the combo box in the GDE's condition begin action for selecting the type of variable should fully say "Local", "Global", etc, rather than the current "L", "G", etc. While these shorthand forms may make sense to the developer of the package or someone whose an old hand with it, it will confuse new people learning the system.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'D:\Apps\Sonus\PCP\GameController.dat'.
File name: 'D:\Apps\Sonus\PCP\GameController.dat'
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at System.IO.File.OpenRead(String path)
   at Sonus_PCP.Debug_GlobalFunctions.LoadGameObject(String ObjectDirectory, Int32 ID) in c:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\Sonus PCP\Sonus PCP\Debug_GlobalFunctions.cs:line 226
   at Sonus_PCP.Form_DebugMode.StartGame() in c:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\Sonus PCP\Sonus PCP\Form_DebugMode.cs:line 638
   at Sonus_PCP.Form_DebugMode.button2_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\Sonus PCP\Sonus PCP\Form_DebugMode.cs:line 923
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.OnKeyUp(KeyEventArgs kevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

Kai

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3324.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
Sonus PCP
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Apps/Sonus/PCP/Sonus%20PCP.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3353.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3190.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Renci.SshNet
    Assembly Version: 2016.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2016.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Apps/Sonus/PCP/Renci.SshNet.DLL
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
NAudio
    Assembly Version: 1.8.5.0
    Win32 Version: 1.8.5.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Apps/Sonus/PCP/NAudio.DLL
OpenTK
    Assembly Version: 3.0.1.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Apps/Sonus/PCP/OpenTK.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Spill chuck you spots!

2019-03-31 19:58:13

I apologise for the inconvenience everyone. I knew there would be teething problems but I've allowed them to be a little bit worse than anticipated.

Thank you for supplying code SLJ. both yours and Xoren's problems are both related to the file path bug that Xoren has correctly identified is missing a backslash. I have corrected that problem now and a new download for the PCP is available. I suggest using add/remove programs to get rid of it off of your computer before installing a new instance of it. I've had times that its made duplicates for me.

As for the GDE Local and Global variable selection in the condition action, If the majority of people agree I have no problem with changing it at all. The dropdown action selection is also bound to the GDE script way of makng actions which I haven't really explained to people yet. The GDE script is a way to quickly write actions in text form rather than selecting them. So L's and G's are quicker to write in the GDE script which is why they are the way they are.

And to answer your question Orin, I always imagined more than 16 audio files being played at a single time to be very crowded and uneeded. but this is just my own assumption. A racing game is very possible but im unsure if more than 16 audio streams into a single mixer will noticably increase the stress on the processing. I will have to play with this when I have time.

As for the progress of the console, my plan going forward is this:
I will make some alterations on the main PCB. to allow for a standard micro usb connection rather than the bulky unstandard one it has at the moment. some votlage regulator improvements and look into lithium ion charging as oppose to AA battery power.

once these improvements are made then the enclosure needs redesigning/tweaking to accomidate for them. This is the expensive bit and in order to mass produce them I will need 10's of thousands of pounds. which is when I will start venturing down investment options.

once investment is aquired. its a matter of producing the enclosures and PCBs that at this point will be fully designed. putting them together and opening them up to the market.

I hope this answers your questions, Please let me know if this resolves your issuesas well.

2019-03-31 22:40:33

I notice that the GDE creates a folder named after your project, and then creates inside that folder a file by the same name. I also notice that when you build a PCP game, it doesn't create a folder named after the project. The problem here is that creating the GDE project has so far only required one file, so does it need to create a subfolder for the project file? Conversely, building the PCP game should create a subfolder with the project name, since multiple files will be put into that same folder, and this way you can have one designated folder where you can put all  your PCP builds. Without subfolder creation, you have to create the subfoler yourself (before you can build the project), or else you risk having tons of overwrites as the GDE exports and writes over old file names.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2019-04-01 08:08:02

Amazing. Thanks a lot for fixing this. I'll take a look at it again as soon as possible.

Best regards SLJ.

2019-04-03 20:57:26

Just a quick FYI guys. I found a bug in the sonus PCP that keeps some threads alive after the program has closed. Such as looping audio may continue after the program is closed. I've added the clean up routine that I missed out now and re-compiled. new version available for download.