2019-03-30 13:16:32 (edited by black and white 2019-03-30 13:17:30)

Hello everyone,

The following is part rant and part asking for help big_smile

Well, Let's first begin with notepad2:
I was happily using notepad2 for my coding needs untill I stumbled upon "[setting2]" section in notepad2.ini file.
I visited FAQ section on its website and found out what it is good for.
So I decided to put a dot (.) for the DefaultDirectory so that it always would show open dialog in the current directory.
Like this: DefaultDirectory=.
Now, I can't get it to follow the last opened document. Nothing changes when I remove that dot infront of equals sign.
Well, it gladly uses any directory I write there but when I leave it empty like default it doesn't comply with my wishes big_smile and opens the Open/Save Dialog in the current directory.
I'm using notepad2 portable.
It says on the website that it doesn't touch my registry but there's nothing in this ini file so...

Now We get to Notepad++.
Actually the reason why I switched to notepad2 was because of an issue I've had with notepad++ and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to fix it.
Whell, I was working on a python source code and I've nested a tun of ifs and loops (a bit exaggerating) so I was deep in indentation. I was trying to write something like this:
greeting = hello
Which as most of you know puts the value of hello in the value of greeting.
Notepad++ kept on spoiling my code like the following:
greeting = hell
when I deleted hello with backspace and write it again:
greeting =hello
(Notice it removed the space after the equals sign)
I did the whole line again:
greeting = llo
I couldn't figure out what was happening!
So I decided to switch to notepad2 and it's worked wonderfully for me untill I ran into the problem I mentioned above.

So, If y'all have any solution for these two problems or know a good, simple, liteweight and portable editor I'm all ears big_smile
I should've mentioned this at the beginning but I need this editor for python coding so auto indent is a must.
I loved notepad++ because it was truely portable and once you'd re-extracted the zip archive it was brand new again. Even if you'd managed to mess it up completely.
Notepad2 is fine also if I only find a way to fix this DefaultDir issue.
I've even found a dark theme for notepad2 on GitHub which made things a lot easier for me.
I want something that doesn't mess with my codes and easy enough that I wouldn't need to worry about the editor which as a result lets me focuse on the code itself more. Notepad2 met these requirements perfectly.
Anyways, waiting for your reply.

2019-03-31 09:13:01

I highly recommend VS code. it is lightweight and supports virtually every programming and non-programming language out there. Very good autocompletion.

2019-04-01 05:57:50

Hello,

You may have a try with Jane, the text editor I'm making. It is itself made with python 3.
http://github.com/qtnc/Jane

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.